My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

I was the first loud vocal representive of this board to start howling of his 2 pt % being among the worst in Syracuse history - especially for a big. Trust me on that.

That being said - they guy is an absolute stud in the making. You can't teach that size, ballerina footwork, and athleticism. I am too young for DC and Billy Owens, but since 1995 (I was 10 and have probably watched/listened/attended 95% of games since that point) on, we've have had 1 guy who matches Oshae's basketball related overall athleticism/skills. And that is Carmelo Anthony.

Oshae will improve his 2 pt % next year if he sticks around. And if he sticks around, I would not count out NPOY level awards.

I don't doubt his potential, but he has lots of areas that need improvement. That being said, none of it changes the fact that he had a pretty bad game yesterday. Hopefully he got it all out of him yesterday, because we are going to need him badly tonight.

you too young to remember john wallace ?

Nope. He is certainly the closest comparison. But he didnt have the overall fluidity of Oshae. Nor the strength.

we'll have to just agree to disagree here. give me #44.

we'll have to just agree to disagree here. give me #44.

Im CERTAINLY NOT saying Oshae is better than JW. No way.

Oshae is a better God Made Basketball speciman than JW. Much Like Lebron is much more God-Made basketball than Jordan.

But give me the goat over Lebron and JW over Oshae all day everyday. no question.

dontae greene ? just kidding. love oshae and hope he comes back and gives us the canadian pipeline we need.

Im CERTAINLY NOT saying Oshae is better than JW. No way.

Oshae is a better God Made Basketball speciman than JW. Much Like Lebron is much more God-Made basketball than Jordan.

But give me the goat over Lebron and JW over Oshae all day everyday. no question.

Curious what you're basing that on -- because JW was a tremendous athlete. He might have been 10 pounds lighter than Brissett, but he was a jumping jack. And despite being all of 6-7, he was the best low post player in college basketball. For two years, IMO.

The refs last night had no clue on the block/charge calls. It was like they were just guessing. Totally inconsistent. It was like the last 2 were offensive so I better call the next one a block. They got almost all of them wrong.

Curious what you're basing that on -- because JW was a tremendous athlete. He might have been 10 pounds lighter than Brissett, but he was a jumping jack. And despite being all of 6-7, he was the best low post player in college basketball. For two years, IMO.

Oshae is at worst same height if not taller, heavier, wider, stronger, and still a jumping jack. His feet are amazing. He's quick, he is fast. He is as fluid as it comes. His shot is beautiful for a big man (different game).

There is a reason that even shooting 35% from 2 and 30% from 3 there is a shot he goes pro this year. And even more of a reason that people have him going top 10 next year.

That guy was born to play basketball. Now he needs to work on his finishing around the rim.

The refs last night had no clue on the block/charge calls. It was like they were just guessing. Totally inconsistent. It was like the last 2 were offensive so I better call the next one a block. They got almost all of them wrong.
some rule changes last year :
  1. If the offensive player dislodges the defender, it is a foul on the offense. If the defense dislodges, it is a foul on the defense.
  2. If the offensive player posts up with his arms straight out to the side to ward off an opponent and contact occurs with a defender who is attempting to get around the offensive post player to front him, it is a foul on the offensive player.
  3. If the defender uses a "swim stroke" in an attempt to front an offensive player who has his arms in a legal position (bent at the elbows), it is a defensive foul.
  4. If the defensive player "lays" on the offensive player with more than incidental contact, it is a defensive foul.
  5. If illegal contact occurs by the offensive player using a straight arm and the defense using a "swim stroke" at approximately the same time, this is a double foul.
  6. Officials will be instructed to call the first foul.
we also saw the vertical/ cylinder rule called on chukwu last night whereby you must now must allow an offensive player enuf room to make a move without "invading the cylinder".

Oshae is at worst same height if not taller, heavier, wider, stronger, and still a jumping jack. His feet are amazing. He's quick, he is fast. He is as fluid as it comes. His shot is beautiful for a big man (different game).

There is a reason that even shooting 35% from 2 and 30% from 3 there is a shot he goes pro this year. And even more of a reason that people have him going top 10 next year.

That guy was born to play basketball. Now he needs to work on his finishing around the rim.

I don't dispute that Oshae is a tremendous athlete, but I don't think you have a good recollection of J-Dub. Your assessment doesn't give him credit for his superior athleticism and inherent skill.

The main difference I see is that Wallace started off as a stud inside player who expanded his game outward [in an era where the game was played a bit differently]. Check out his three point shooting numbers his senior season, when he was a first team all american].

Oshae is a pretty good three point shooter, and abysmal scoring inside [too much degree of difficulty right now, but the raw tools are there]. I'll concede that he might be a hair taller / legit 6-8, and that he's starting out stronger than Wallace was coming in as frosh in their respective years. But to look at Oshae and conclude that he is a better athlete, more fluid, more athletic than Wallace? Nah.

I don't dispute that Oshae is a tremendous athlete, but I don't think you have a good recollection of J-Dub. Your assessment doesn't give him credit for his superior athleticism and inherent skill.

The main difference I see is that Wallace started off as a stud inside player who expanded his game outward [in an era where the game was played a bit differently]. Check out his three point shooting numbers his senior season, when he was a first team all american].

Oshae is a pretty good three point shooter, and abysmal scoring inside [too much degree of difficulty right now, but the raw tools are there]. I'll concede that he might be a hair taller / legit 6-8, and that he's starting out stronger than Wallace was coming in as frosh in their respective years. But to look at Oshae and conclude that he is a better athlete, more fluid, more athletic than Wallace? Nah.

I also don't dispute that Wallace was a tremendous athlete. Neither was Hakim Warrick.

I just think that if I have a choice between 2 people who at age 18 never picked up a basketball before and 1 person is John Wallace and the other is Oshae Brissett... I measure them, test them, run them through basic drills - Im pretty easily taking Oshae Brissett.

But if you disagree, thats fine. Wallace was a really good athlete too. Even at 19 which is what Oshae is. Imagine Oshae at 21 or 22 like Wallace was a senior.

if OSHAE returns next year let's give him #44. (or whatever that works out to in celsius.)

This team’s completely different when Marek takes those 12-18 footers. He has a sweet stroke and it pulls defenders out of the middle. This frees tyus and frank to drive. Frees up chukwu for those sweet ally oops. Give us a 4th bail out option for our offense. We are DANGEROUS, when Marek steps up and takes that shot.

Its very frustrating when he looks off the shot. He’s smart but not very quick. He telegraphs some passes down to the post and otherwise has the ball stripped if he holds it too long.

Needs to decide he’s shooting before he catches it, he is nearly always open.

Oshae Brissett’s NBA comp for me Robert Covington.

He isn’t going to be a NPoY but can be first team All-ACC and play in the NBA.

The special talents you can use it right away. Covington is one of those guys who is really solid and helps you win games but isn’t going to be the man.

Thought Tyus really played hard, especially early, and set the tone for the night right away. He got their big in foul trouble. That was a big key. As was the decision by Manning to leave him out of the game almost the whole second half when he got his 3rd foul shortly after halftime.

Another questionable coaching decision by Manning was to keep Wilbekin out of the game for almost the whole second half. He killed us in the Dome (4-5 from 3) in the second half and made their first 3 in this game.

I don't get it.

I also don't dispute that Wallace was a tremendous athlete. Neither was Hakim Warrick.

I just think that if I have a choice between 2 people who at age 18 never picked up a basketball before and 1 person is John Wallace and the other is Oshae Brissett... I measure them, test them, run them through basic drills - Im pretty easily taking Oshae Brissett.

But if you disagree, thats fine. Wallace was a really good athlete too. Even at 19 which is what Oshae is. Imagine Oshae at 21 or 22 like Wallace was a senior.

Btw, JW was making the rounds in the lobby last night. Wish I knew you guys were going to have this debate, could have asked him to weigh in.

Seriously, he was super friendly, posing for pics, signing jerseys, etc. He looked great.

Billy O and Jay Bilas, in casual gear, also were roaming around.

Oshae Brissett’s NBA comp for me Robert Covington.

He isn’t going to be a NPoY but can be first team All-ACC and play in the NBA.

The special talents you can use it right away. Covington is one of those guys who is really solid and helps you win games but isn’t going to be the man.

Yup...made the same comp earlier in the year. Verrrrrry similar players imo.

This team’s completely different when Marek takes those 12-18 footers. He has a sweet stroke and it pulls defenders out of the middle. This frees tyus and frank to drive. Frees up chukwu for those sweet ally oops. Give us a 4th bail out option for our offense. We are DANGEROUS, when Marek steps up and takes that shot
We are DANGEROUS, when Marek steps up and MAKES that shot.

We are DANGEROUS, when Marek steps up and MAKES that shot.
He can make every other attempt and still force a defender to step up and guard him.

One less guy prepared to help d/double frank, tyus or oshae

The Wake guy easily traveled 2 different times if you can Oshae as a legit travel.

there was some very questionable charges called (every single 1 went the wrong way imo and also went wakes way which was not surprising at all) but the travel was the worst call of the game.

Seriously look at the wake bench... not 1 person reacted when the whistle was blown. Usually 90% motion for the travel. Not 1 person. Maybe be the strictest interpretation of the rules it was, but I've never seen anything like that actaully called.

He shuffled the pivot foot. Not sure how you aren't seeing that as a travel. Can't do it. OB established his left foot as his pivot, and just before he started his move, he shuffled the pivot foot. When his right landed, it was his second step, and you can't take two steps and dribble. I'm not sure the other one was a travel either. Sorry. I think he had lifted one foot before he caught the ball, made a move to dribble, and then took two steps after the dribble. Tough to really tell because the play was partially shielded.

He wasn't poor. The ball just didnt go through the net for him. He didnt make any mistakes or bad TO's or heck even take bad shots.
I’m probably the biggest Oshae fan on the board. That was by far his worst game of the season. Not sure what you were watching. No doubt he’ll bounce back tonight vs. UNC. We really need him to rebound his area and finish at the rim. As my brother said yesterday “your guy couldn’t finish a sandwich”

He shuffled the pivot foot. Not sure how you aren't seeing that as a travel. Can't do it. OB established his left foot as his pivot, and just before he started his move, he shuffled the pivot foot. When his right landed, it was his second step, and you can't take two steps and dribble. I'm not sure the other one was a travel either. Sorry. I think he had lifted one foot before he caught the ball, made a move to dribble, and then took two steps after the dribble. Tough to really tell because the play was partially shielded.

Def dont see that as a travel - even in slow mo. And if that strict interpretation of the rule was called everytime - it would literally be called on every possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom