My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Let's not denigrate our opponents after a big win. It makes our accomplishment look smaller. You are what you eat and you are who you play.

Denigrate? I posted facts. If those facts make an opponent look less than what they were billed as, then so be it.

I don't care if we played Prairie View A&M, I only care that we beat whoever we're playing.

Do all of them have to be in Detroit? Because if they are, I'm not so sure about the 7 out of 10 number. MSU had every advantage in this game. The site of the game. Syracuse having to play an extra game. And Syracuse won. Even things out on that 10 game schedule.
JB said that playing in front of the home crowd like that can sometimes place extra pressure on teams. It sure seemed that way.

Guess that explains how Frank and Battle had four turnovers together in 74 minutes in a rock fight and we had 12 total because there's no one on our team we can trust to handle the ball in those situations.
Turnover stats notwithstanding, we were in that situation twice and Tyus turned it over both times. And I'd take Battle over Frank in that situation.

I think MSU wins handily if they started pressing sooner.

Turnover stats notwithstanding, we were in that situation twice and Tyus turned it over both times. And I'd take Battle over Frank in that situation.

You can say what you think all you want or who you'd take over who or what might have happened if MSU pressed sooner but the facts are the facts. If you're talking about ball handling turnover stats aren't "notwithstanding," they are the point.

You're right, he's wrong. We had 2 turnovers in less than a minute of pressing. It was the single worst decision made during that game. Izzo lost a ton of my respect in my eyes.

You're right, he's wrong. We had 2 turnovers in less than a minute of pressing. It was the single worst decision made during that game. Izzo lost a ton of my respect in my eyes.
You think that was worse than letting us hold the ball up 5 with 1:05 to go in the game? I couldn't believe Dixon let us do that.

You think that was worse than letting us hold the ball up 5 with 1:05 to go in the game? I couldn't believe Dixon let us do that.

Yes. But mostly because izzo is a much more respected coach.

Battle's last turnover was on an obvious foul and when he was the only ball handler in the game. Izzo's press was so productive in the last two minutes that it delivered 0-5 in FGA's and four free throws all of which were gifts. Yea, some production that press gave them when the game was on the line.

Battle's last turnover was on an obvious foul and when he was the only ball handler in the game. Izzo's press was so productive in the last two minutes that it delivered 0-5 in FGA's and four free throws all of which were gifts. Yea, some production that press gave them when the game was on the line.

And had they converted just a couple more in that time frame, the game was theirs. Not sure why you are arguing this one. Had they started earlier, I guarantee they would have gotten a few more easy buckets. Can't count on them missing everything.

And had they converted just a couple more in that time frame, the game was theirs. Not sure why you are arguing this one. Had they started earlier, I guarantee they would have gotten a few more easy buckets. Can't count on them missing everything.
I wasn't arguing. I'm not even disagreeing. I just thought it was out and out malpractice to not foul down 5 with 1:05 to go. You sure won't get me to argue that Izzo coached a good game. He didn't. When Jb went over a 1000 wins, Scott Van Pelt said that jb was a great coach. Not in Izzo's class, but a great coach. Scott was wrong. Or maybe he was right in a way that he didn't mean.

Great suggestion. I need an extra 45 minutes at the end of every game to get up and bake a pie or something.
I would think having a central office would speed things up. It appears to me that the refs are working with small, not very good monitors designed to be displayed in the opposite direction. The lightning is awful and I think it is clear the refs are having a hard time seeing things; it takes a long time for them to review anything even slightly controversial. Why not have someone to specialize in these calls who understands the rules, has the best equipment available and is just sitting there waiting, ready to go?

I don't think this makes sense for all games, but for NCAA tournament games, the stakes are high. If we are are going to do reviews, let's do them faster and do them using the best equipment and personnel possible, so 5 minute delays that still result in blown calls don't happen any longer.

I would think having a central office would speed things up. It appears to me that the refs are working with small, not very good monitors designed to be displayed in the opposite direction. The lightning is awful and I think it is clear the refs are having a hard time seeing things; it takes a long time for them to review anything even slightly controversial. Why not have someone to specialize in these calls who understands the rules, has the best equipment available and is just sitting there waiting, ready to go?

I don't think this makes sense for all games, but for NCAA tournament games, the stakes are high. If we are are going to do reviews, let's do them faster and do them using the best equipment and personnel possible, so 5 minute delays that still result in blown calls don't happen any longer.

If you were in charge, I'd say do it.

This is the NCAA we're talking about.

I thought Michigan State was unimpressive. They had a bunch of fat, physical big guys and some unremarkable guards. No play makers. Not much athletic ability or speed.

Their white guard who couldn't get open, couldn't shoot with a hand in his face and couldn't play defense. He just flopped whenever anyone came near him. Their white transfer was just a body out there. No talent.
Why this obsession with pointing out "white" guys on the basketball court?
It's always in a denigrating tone and it's unnecessary.
BTW, can they jump? ;)

Their players were fat, awful and didn't do anything well, but props and kudos for our guys who beat that awful awful MSU team by 2?

The game was a battle, our defense was elite and we did enough on offense, you made it sound like we beat LeMoyne, MSU was 30-4 going into this game but wouldn't finish in the upper half of the ACC and are just a bunch of fat, flopping unskilled whiteys.

Very poor "take" that disparages the task that our team completed yesterday. We beat a vastly superior talented team and our head coach coached one of the best games in his 1000 win career.

Why this obsession with pointing out "white" guys on the basketball court?
It's always in a denigrating tone and it's unnecessary.
BTW, can they jump? ;)
I don't have an obsession identifying white guys on the court. I do need to identify players I refer to in posts though and this is one way normal people identify other people.

I personally thought I denigrated all the MSU players equally.

Their players were fat, awful and didn't do anything well, but props and kudos for our guys who beat that awful awful MSU team by 2?

The game was a battle, our defense was elite and we did enough on offense, you made it sound like we beat LeMoyne, MSU was 30-4 going into this game but wouldn't finish in the upper half of the ACC and are just a bunch of fat, flopping unskilled whiteys.

Very poor "take" that disparages the task that our team completed yesterday. We beat a vastly superior talented team and our head coach coached one of the best games in his 1000 win career.
I didn't say most of what you are attributing to me but if this makes you feel better, go for it.

I thought Michigan State was unimpressive. They had a bunch of fat, physical big guys and some unremarkable guards. No play makers. Not much athletic ability or speed.

Their white guard who couldn't get open. He just flopped whenever anyone came near him. Their white transfer was just a body out there. No talent.

I thought Bridges was a player of the year candidate. Seriously? He looked slow, indecisive and he couldn't shoot or drive.

I don't think they would finish in the top half of the ACC.

I didn't say most of what you are attributing to me but if this makes you feel better, go for it.

It's almost verbatim what you said.

I wasn't arguing. I'm not even disagreeing. I just thought it was out and out malpractice to not foul down 5 with 1:05 to go. You sure won't get me to argue that Izzo coached a good game. He didn't. When Jb went over a 1000 wins, Scott Van Pelt said that jb was a great coach. Not in Izzo's class, but a great coach. Scott was wrong. Or maybe he was right in a way that he didn't mean.

? I was talking about manleyzoo arguing with me. Not you. I think you're right, but as I said, Izzo is more well-respected and had almost 7 minutes with our primary ballhandler on the bench and did almost nothing to take advantage of that.

I don't have an obsession identifying white guys on the court. I do need to identify players I refer to in posts though and this is one way normal people identify other people.

I personally thought I denigrated all the MSU players equally.
Not specifically your obsession, but it seems a bizarre piece of college basketball fandom that we (mostly white fans) sneer at white players as unathletic until they prove otherwise. We overuse race as an identifier and as a predictor of attributes.

I feel like that OOB call at the end of the game is like that "which color is this dress" that went viral last year.

I thought it was absolutely out on us but whichever side you're on, you're vehemently believing you're correct.

Michigan State looks like their strength and conditioning is to eat steak and donuts. Compare their NBA guys to Brissett and Battle who are ripped. Different body types for sure but I wasn't at all impressed with that team both physically and talent wise. Guess you can get away with that in the B1G.
Any posters tech-savvy enough to upload gifs or video clips of the controversial call? I'm amazed that so many people are so definitive about it being off the MSU kid.

I don't have the game on DVR, so I can't re-watch it (for now), but my recollection was that they had a side view that (to me) showed that the ball did not hit the MSU player. I will concede that when they showed the straight-on view (from the baseline, essentially with the ball coming at the camera) it looked like it might have hit the kid's left leg. That was the last angle that they showed (and they showed it a couple of times, IIRC) but the side view was what made me believe Oshae touched it last.

I think the refs take their sweet time because they're tired

Nice recap except I have little doubt that Michigan State would finish in the top half of the ACC. That's just silly. I also am still convinced the ball was off us at the end.

Not sure if serious. As a team we don't have anyone who we can trust to handle the ball in those situations.
Ah, I've missed the let's degrade Frank posts.

He has done at the very least a competent job during these playoffs. Without him we wouldn't be in Omaha on Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom