My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

You're right, he's wrong. We had 2 turnovers in less than a minute of pressing. It was the single worst decision made during that game. Izzo lost a ton of my respect in my eyes.
not easy to organize a press when you aren't making any shots

not easy to organize a press when you aren't making any shots

Agreed. Generally, you press after you score. I'm not sure they scored once after Howard fouled out. I think all their points were from the free throw line.

I feel like that OOB call at the end of the game is like that "which color is this dress" that went viral last year.

I thought it was absolutely out on us but whichever side you're on, you're vehemently believing you're correct.

Michigan State looks like their strength and conditioning is to eat steak and donuts. Compare their NBA guys to Brissett and Battle who are ripped. Different body types for sure but I wasn't at all impressed with that team both physically and talent wise. Guess you can get away with that in the B1G.
Most of the B1G basketball teams look more like football players (offensive/defensive line). Except for Michigan where Beilein recruits athletic players.

Any posters tech-savvy enough to upload gifs or video clips of the controversial call? I'm amazed that so many people are so definitive about it being off the MSU kid.

I don't have the game on DVR, so I can't re-watch it (for now), but my recollection was that they had a side view that (to me) showed that the ball did not hit the MSU player. I will concede that when they showed the straight-on view (from the baseline, essentially with the ball coming at the camera) it looked like it might have hit the kid's left leg. That was the last angle that they showed (and they showed it a couple of times, IIRC) but the side view was what made me believe Oshae touched it last.
I thought it missed him but then the last time they showed it, it looked like his leg jiggled. I didn't rewind because they were about to resume play. I'll be watching the game again later tonight, will see if I can upload something.

I think the refs take their sweet time because they're tired
At least in football they get a little privacy with those old time photo booths.

The ball call was a 50-50. Michigan State players are built like brick shoit houses. They are not fat but rather ripped. This is an Elite team that we beat. Easily a top 10 team.

Agreed. Generally, you press after you score. I'm not sure they scored once after Howard fouled out. I think all their points were from the free throw line.
Fairly easy to press after free throws...

Fairly easy to press after free throws...

Yeah. But when were the free throws? At the very end (last 30 seconds or so) when JB wasn't going to let them get a 3pt shot off. They were fouling as soon as 'Cuse got the ball inbound, sometimes even before that! The point was they went scoreless for over 6 minutes, making it quite hard to set up a press.

Yeah. But when were the free throws? At the very end (last 30 seconds or so) when JB wasn't going to let them get a 3pt shot off. They were fouling as soon as 'Cuse got the ball inbound, sometimes even before that! The point was they went scoreless for over 6 minutes, making it quite hard to set up a press.

All times are shown as time remaining

6:39 - Frank fouled out and Winston made both free throws (this is literally the best time to start pressing as Bayer was just off the bench and would have been most jittery)
5:43 - Winston made a jumper
2:39 - Jump ball won by Syracuse
2:04 - Tillman made free throw

Had they started pressing from the jump when Frank went out, there would have been significantly more opportunities. Izzo screwed the pooch on that game. No doubt in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom