My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

To say you do an awesome job is an understatement and I hate to criticize you but let me ask you a ? And most of you . You stated a problem with Tommy decision making which was on one play one ! and you clearly know Sean didn’t come back to the ball per Dino’s reaction so after knowing what happened how do you still call that a bad descion ? Dino had a presser last week explaining bad luck happings on previous interceptions , we know the deficiencies we have we talk about them in one sentence yet forget them the next . It’s like bipolarism . I shake my head so many times I’m getting dizzy ! Don’t get me wrong Tommy is not a finished product yet and your all entitled to say what ever you want but PLEASE try not to ignore the facts it will make us all a little smarter .
That being said a season saving win ! Great to see the run game get going as well !

IMO, it was a bad decision to throw the ball there. Assuming Sean ran the wrong route, why did Tommy throw into triple coverage? I can see if Tommy threw the ball to where Sean should have been, but he threw it to where Sean was, along with 3 defenders. It was one of only two bad throws he made so I’m not worried. No QB makes all perfect throws/decisions.

IMO, it was a bad decision to throw the ball there. Assuming Sean ran the wrong route, why did Tommy throw into triple coverage? I can see if Tommy threw the ball to where Sean should have been, but he threw it to where Sean was, along with 3 defenders. It was one of only two bad throws he made so I’m not worried. No QB makes all perfect throws/decisions.

Yeah, no one is expecting David Cone's 88 pitch perfect game...things happen.

I have been watching SU play football since 1973.

LOL. Me too. Still have the ticket from my first game vs Michigan State.

I have seen a lot of QBs through this time. I am still evaluating TD in some areas. I think his decision making under duress has been a little shaky. Understandable given his inexperience. But one thing I am sure of: Tommy is the most accurate passer I have seen in a Syracuse uniform. If he has a guy open, he is going to hit him 99 times out of 100. It is pretty exciting to watch him play when we are able to get receivers open and give him time to throw.

Agreed 100% and I'll take it a step further. His combination of arm strength, accuracy and touch are like nothing we've ever seen on the hill.

I thought there were 3 passes that really illustrated that yesterday:

- the deep ball to Trishton that you mention below - 60 yards in the air and he wasn't able to fully step into it because of the pressure up the middle...

- the bullet to Taj on the sideline

- the screen pass where he was retreating and lofted the ball over the opposing linemen to the back

If we can find 5 guys who can consistently give him protection against a P5 defensive line, the sky is the limit with this kid.

It was great to see this offense get rolling and do damage. Heckel was out again, forcing Servais to play at center again. He had 3 or 4 penalties against him (the refs called him on one offsides I am pretty sure was on Vetterello). Disturbing for a senior captain. Especially given I believe he has already had 3 or 4 penalties called on him this year. That said, the blocking was better today, protecting the passer and opening holes for the running game. We didn’t abuse WMU running the ball but it looked like we wore then down and got a lot more effective running it in the second half.

I thought the O line struggled more than it should against a MAC level D-line. Both Servais and Vettorello had tough days. Does not bode well for ACC play.

Agreed 100% and I'll take it a step further. His combination of arm strength, accuracy and touch are like nothing we've ever seen on the hill.
Don't forget his quick release!

I'd put Billy Scharr up close to him but he didn't have the quick release that TD has (nor the foot-speed).

- the screen pass where he was retreating and lofted the ball over the opposing linemen to the back

That pass looks deceptively easy to throw. In fact it is anything but. We haven't had a QB that demonstrates the timing and touch to get the ball out on a designed screen in many years. It's been one of our most consistent weapons in Month 1.

Your son played great - instead everyone is up in arms over 1 of his 8 incompletions. :confused:
Exactly.

Tommy fluckin killed it yesterday.

I created a thread last night for posters to come in, state they’re an idiot, admit they wouldn’t know talent if it punched them in the nose, and give them an easy out to get onboard the Tommy Train.

It got deleted, but there is still time for people to admit they’ve missed watching a great one develop.

WMU killed themselves over and over in the first half with turnovers and dumb penalties. And 4th down failures. Syracuse was lucky to go into the locker room with a lead. WMU must have a very solid strength and conditioning program as the OL had to take on a pass rush teeing off on 2/3s of the plays due to empty backfield and the WRs/TEs ran sprints back and forth on almost every play with one less guy after the early injury. A lot of heart on the WMU team.

I was extremely happy that Syracuse University Football came away with a victory yesterday. It was an important game against a good well coached team and they (Syracuse) came out and played hard. That being said, they have a lot and I mean a lot to fix before they start ACC play.

On offense, sutomcat you are 100% correct on Tommy DeVito's throw. Riley ran the wrong route. After the play TD ran over to him and said something and then Coach Babers got in his ear. Don't know if anyone else saw it but as Riley was running off the field after the play, he was tapping himself on his chest and looked nervous as he walked towards his coach. Nykein Johnson's season to date stats are horrific. Not even going to bother mentioning what they are. I'm not sure anyone would believe me. I sure hope either he gets going or someone else gets some playing time and produces. Hackett was finally utilized and I am excited what Benson will bring once he fills and out learns the offense better. Thought Pat Davis did a nice job filling in for Alexander. Servais had a bad game and Vettorelo is in a tough spot. Offensive line has got to come together. I love Adams but he has got to hold on to the ball. This is his second fumble this year. He lost one against Maryland but Syracuse recovered. He has to know HCDB does not play guys who fumble. Thought Tommy DeVito played very well and looked confident and like a leader out there. In my humble opinion he is faster than ED. Not as elusive maybe side to side but faster. The young man throws a beautiful ball and is extremely accurate. I hope that will always be the case. Jackson can be that go to guy, now the consistency needs to kick in. In my opinion, the play calling still needs a lot of improvement, especially in the red zone. Moe Neal ran hard yesterday and with the exception of the fumbled pitch, had a very good game. Offense is still a work in progress.

Defense? They can be like Jeckyl and Hyde. I wish I knew why Ward can't scheme to cover a tight end. That kid Ricci was killing Syracuse yesterday. Covering the tight end in this defense has been a problem since day 1. Two years ago, BC's tight end ran wild in the Dome. Yesterday on almost every third down Wassink would lock right on to Ricci and he was wide open. This is after Syracuse had rushed three and dropped eight and he was still all buy himself. Syracuse's defense is much more effective when they rush four. Why Ward goes to a three man rush is a mystery. Even with eight in coverage, the coverage is still soft. Beyond my pay grade. Thought the DB's did a much better job of finding the ball yesterday. Fredrick's TD was just a weird play but he still should have known where the ball was. Containment on the ends is still a big problem with the defense. The ends crash and the corners are in coverage and the safeties take bad angles. That needs to be fixed quick. Cooley played well as did freshman Mikel Jones. Those two will only get better with playing time. One of the guys I have been asking why he hasn't gotten more time showed my why yesterday. Devon Clarke absolutely whiffed on a tackle of Wassink yesterday. That was not pretty. Linebackers were up and down yesterday but for the most part, are playing better every week. Bradshaw was up and down too and HCDB talked to him about his technique on a long ball that he got beat on. Coverage was good, technique not so good. Defense still very much a work in progress.

Special Teams Hofrichter :). Keep up the good work young men.

Dome public address system :vomit:. John and Laura Lally thank you for your tremendous generous gift to Syracuse University Football. I just wish I could have heard what they were saying. Right at the fifty, six rows up and I heard/understood every fourth word. That may be why more people didn't sound more appreciative. It's not their fault, they didn't know. Thank you again and God bless.

Last but not least, the officiating was horrible. Does anyone know what conference that crew was from. The line judge was off by an entire yard on that third down play that got reversed. The pass interference calls etc etc. They were bad.

Just my opinion folks feel free to disagree, as always, Go Orange!!!!!!!!!!!

I was extremely happy that Syracuse University Football came away with a victory yesterday. It was an important game against a good well coached team and they (Syracuse) came out and played hard. That being said, they have a lot and I mean a lot to fix before they start ACC play.

On offense, sutomcat you are 100% correct on Tommy DeVito's throw. Riley ran the wrong route. After the play TD ran over to him and said something and then Coach Babers got in his ear. Don't know if anyone else saw it but as Riley was running off the field after the play, he was tapping himself on his chest and looked nervous as he walked towards his coach. Nykein Johnson's season to date stats are horrific. Not even going to bother mentioning what they are. I'm not sure anyone would believe me. I sure hope either he gets going or someone else gets some playing time and produces. Hackett was finally utilized and I am excited what Benson will bring once he fills and out learns the offense better. Thought Pat Davis did a nice job filling in for Alexander. Servais had a bad game and Vettorelo is in a tough spot. Offensive line has got to come together. I love Adams but he has got to hold on to the ball. This is his second fumble this year. He lost one against Maryland but Syracuse recovered. He has to know HCDB does not play guys who fumble. Thought Tommy DeVito played very well and looked confident and like a leader out there. In my humble opinion he is faster than ED. Not as elusive maybe side to side but faster. The young man throws a beautiful ball and is extremely accurate. I hope that will always be the case. Jackson can be that go to guy, now the consistency needs to kick in. In my opinion, the play calling still needs a lot of improvement, especially in the red zone. Moe Neal ran hard yesterday and with the exception of the fumbled pitch, had a very good game. Offense is still a work in progress.

Defense? They can be like Jeckyl and Hyde. I wish I knew why Ward can't scheme to cover a tight end. That kid Ricci was killing Syracuse yesterday. Covering the tight end in this defense has been a problem since day 1. Two years ago, BC's tight end ran wild in the Dome. Yesterday on almost every third down Wassink would lock right on to Ricci and he was wide open. This is after Syracuse had rushed three and dropped eight and he was still all buy himself. Syracuse's defense is much more effective when they rush four. Why Ward goes to a three man rush is a mystery. Even with eight in coverage, the coverage is still soft. Beyond my pay grade. Thought the DB's did a much better job of finding the ball yesterday. Fredrick's TD was just a weird play but he still should have known where the ball was. Containment on the ends is still a big problem with the defense. The ends crash and the corners are in coverage and the safeties take bad angles. That needs to be fixed quick. Cooley played well as did freshman Mikel Jones. Those two will only get better with playing time. One of the guys I have been asking why he hasn't gotten more time showed my why yesterday. Devon Clarke absolutely whiffed on a tackle of Wassink yesterday. That was not pretty. Linebackers were up and down yesterday but for the most part, are playing better every week. Bradshaw was up and down too and HCDB talked to him about his technique on a long ball that he got beat on. Coverage was good, technique not so good. Defense still very much a work in progress.

Dome public address system :vomit:. John and Laura Lally thank you for your tremendous generous gift to Syracuse University Football. I just wish I could have heard what they were saying. Right at the fifty, six rows up and I heard/understood every fourth word. That may be why more people didn't sound more appreciative. It's not their fault, they didn't know. Thank you again and God bless.

Last but not least, the officiating was horrible. Does anyone know what conference that crew was from. The line judge was off by an entire yard on that third down play that got reversed. The pass interference calls etc etc. They were bad.

Just my opinion folks feel free to disagree, as always, Go Orange!!!!!!
Nice write up.

Just my opinion folks feel free to disagree, as always, Go Orange!!!!!!
I apologize to young Mr. Coley for spelling his name wrong. Nice game young man.

I just watched in slow mo by him not breaking back to ball it gave the dB an easy lace for s pick and making it look bad live . I call it like it is when I can ... anyway on to next week

Couple questions for anyone who may know.

Are we saving Jarveon Howard for later in the season? what gives? He had a very solid freshman year.

Cam Jordan got a shot this week... maybe Queeley, Courtney, Sharod and RTB next?

Why the hell cant we make slants a part of the game plan? It looked great vs WMU. Our receivers are athletic enough.

Taj has had a rough start but that one handed grab out of bounds was extraterrestrial

Nice write up.
I just watched in slow mo by him not breaking back to ball it gave the dB an easy lace for s pick and making it look bad live . I call it like it is when I can ... anyway on to next week
I know you are on the opposite side of the field way up top for that play but trust me, HCDB knew who was wrong on that play and it wasn't #13 no matter what anyone says.

To say you do an awesome job is an understatement and I hate to criticize you but let me ask you a ? And most of you . You stated a problem with Tommy decision making which was on one play one ! and you clearly know Sean didn’t come back to the ball per Dino’s reaction so after knowing what happened how do you still call that a bad descion ? Dino had a presser last week explaining bad luck happings on previous interceptions , we know the deficiencies we have we talk about them in one sentence yet forget them the next . It’s like bipolarism . I shake my head so many times I’m getting dizzy ! Don’t get me wrong Tommy is not a finished product yet and your all entitled to say what ever you want but PLEASE try not to ignore the facts it will make us all a little smarter .
That being said a season saving win ! Great to see the run game get going as well !
When I talked about decision making, I thought I was referring to earlier games. I think his decision making is getting better, for sure. I don’t consider it a problem at this point.

Let me elaborate.

I think Tommy is solid making his reads. Has been from day one. The only area where I think his decision making has been shaky is when he gets flushed out of the pocket and has to make a split second call on what to do. That is probably the toughest thing for a QB to do, especially a relatively young one.

From my perspective, Tommy is really competitive and hates to give up on a play and maybe tried to make something happen a couple of times with a dangerous throw when he should have ran, run OB or thrown it OB. When you have a player like him, this is going to happen sometimes.

Heck, let’s talk about the two throws I thought were most epic in that game, the long one to Trishton and the pass to Taj on 3rd and long deep in our territory in the fourth, only up by a narrow margin. Tommy had a wide open field in front of him on the pass to Trish and while Jackson clearly had a step on his man, Tommy went for the bomb instead of taking the run, which was probably the surer thing. From the first time he came in, he has made it clear he likes to air it out and if he has a guy open long, the ball is going to go there. I won’t argue with the results. If you can make that pass, you should go for it.

Thought the pass to Taj was pretty dangerous. The ball had to carry close to the width of the field and quite a way down field. The defender saw it coming and would have picked it off (he just missed it), if not for the tremendous velocity Tommy put on that pass. He knew there was a defender who might make the play and just threw it by him. It was a huge first down for us and a big time throw Iwould be surprised if more than 5 QBs in college football could make. I was frankly stunned at how gutsy and great that throw was. That kind of thing normally only happens on Sundays.

The best thing about him making these kinds of throws is the impact it will have on how we are defended. I think people are going to be terrified to overplay the run and dare us to pass, playing press coverage with little or no help from the safeties. This should help open up the running game. I think it did in the WMU game for sure.

Anyway, I thought Tommy found himself in similar run for your life situations Saturday and I thought he made good calls a few times. Good to see him clearly throw it away when he had nothing. I am sure it is hard to do but a great QB has to know when to give up on a play and try again next play (or next series). It is a big step in his development,.

I think he is making strides. I see growth. And like I said, I think his arm and throwing ability should be a given at this point. The kid can throw like no Syracuse QB I have seen.

When I talked about decision making, I thought I was referring to earlier games. I think his decision making is getting better, for sure. I don’t consider it a problem at this point.

Let me elaborate.

I think Tommy is solid making his reads. Has been from day one. The only area where I think his decision making has been shaky is when he gets flushed out of the pocket and has to make a split second call on what to do. That is probably the toughest thing for a QB to do, especially a relatively young one.

From my perspective, Tommy is really competitive and hates to give up on a play and maybe tried to make something happen a couple of times with a dangerous throw when he should have ran, run OB or thrown it OB. When you have a player like him, this is going to happen sometimes.

Heck, let’s talk about the two throws I thought were most epic in that game, the long one to Trishton and the pass to Taj on 3rd and long deep in our territory in the fourth, only up by a narrow margin. Tommy had a wide open field in front of him on the pass to Trish and while Jackson clearly had a step on his man, Tommy went for the bomb instead of taking the run, which was probably the surer thing. From the first time he came in, he has made it clear he likes to air it out and if he has a guy open long, the ball is going to go there. I won’t argue with the results. If you can make that pass, you should go for it.

Thought the pass to Taj was pretty dangerous. The ball had to carry close to the width of the field and quite a way down field. The defender saw it coming and would have picked it off (he just missed it), if not for the tremendous velocity Tommy put on that pass. He knew there was a defender who might make the play and just threw it by him. It was a huge first down for us and a big time throw Iwould be surprised if more than 5 QBs in college football could make. I was frankly stunned at how gutsy and great that throw was. That kind of thing normally only happens on Sundays.

The best thing about him making these kinds of throws is the impact it will have on how we are defended. I think people are going to be terrified to overplay the run and dare us to pass, playing press coverage with little or no help from the safeties. This should help open up the running game. I think it did in the WMU game for sure.

Anyway, I thought Tommy found himself in similar run for your life situations Saturday and I thought he made good calls a few times. Good to see him clearly throw it away when he had nothing. I am sure it is hard to do but a great QB has to know when to give up on a play and try again next play (or next series). It is a big step in his development,.

I think he is making strides. I see growth. And like I said, I think his arm and throwing ability should be a given at this point. The kid can throw like no Syracuse QB I have seen.
Thank u , I don’t expect people to understand exactly what happens on every play it’s just annoying when the HC tells the story it’s talked about and then forgotten. I’m taking some credit for yesterday... I text Tommy at 6 am begging him to run some and pointing out the fact some people were harrassing his mom ! He listened ! One of his best throws was the screen to Adams very athletic.
Also how big was the personal foul by Western Michigan on Riley ? Automatic first down led to TD

Thank u , I don’t expect people to understand exactly what happens on every play it’s just annoying when the HC tells the story it’s talked about and then forgotten. I’m taking some credit for yesterday... I text Tommy at 6 am begging him to run some and pointing out the fact some people were harrassing his mom ! He listened ! One of his best throws was the screen to Adams very athletic.
Also how big was the personal foul by Western Michigan on Riley ? Automatic first down led to TD
Yes, I think getting those long runs by Tommy us going to change how we are defended. DBs have to respect. His ability to run now and when he breaks out of the pocket, I think som will come up to stip him instead of sticking like glue to the WR they are covering. Dinos evil plan for offensive dominance is beginning to come together. ;)

Harris had a couple of nice plays, one on an out route where he was fairly well covered by a WMU defender who had the angle for a pick. But Devito freaking lasered it past him right into Harris’ hands for a big first down. That was one of the big plays in the game.

That was such a fantastic pass.

This season I've been hearing a lot of "Dungey would've" done X, Y, or Z against this pressure or with that room to run or whatever. That throw finally gave me a chance to say "Dungey would not have completed that pass."

Make it east for us to follow out of town scores for the other teams we play and historical rivals. If we aren’t given the ability to do this, it is a compelling reason to stay home where this is much easier to do.

I...

Yes, and use common abbreviations/acronyms. One of the out-of-town scores involved "Mars." What the hell is Mars?

In-game hosts: such a stupid idea. Does anyone like this use of dead air? As you note, if they're going to force this on us, demand that the girl not scream into the microphone. When you're miked, you don't have to get loud. It does that for you. The middle-aged woman didn't do that properly last year but I assumed the Newhouse girl would get it. After two games, she doesn't.

They used a couple receivers I hadn't seen much of. Had to look up Queeley, who got some time in the 4th. He's slighter than I'd have guessed. Cam Jordan I recognize from special teams. He looks the part.

I think it’s pretty clear that TD is fast enough running the ball? Faster than ED? Probably. Not as elusive as ED. But that’s okay. When ED got flushed, he would improvise with his feet. Sometimes that creates a pass. But it always started with his feet. TD is looking to improvise with his arm. When his receivers get comfortable reacting to this, they’ll be fine. They’re getting more in synch already. In the mean time, there is always the potential for something bad to happen when you put the bell in the air.

I know you are on the opposite side of the field way up top for that play but trust me, HCDB knew who was wrong on that play and it wasn't #13 no matter what anyone says.

Riley ran the wrong route, not Tommy. That’s why Dino got on Riley.

Care taker, go back and watch that play. It was the db on the outside wr who made the play on riley, who was in the slot. That was just one of those things, where the defender made a good play. It wasnt on riley.

Hackett is going to get better every game and in 2020 Hackett AND Benson are going to be major weapons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom