My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

it's a different situation when you're initiating the offense than when you are off the ball and the recipient of passes

also, if he moves to the 2 behind buddy, then we're probably only talking 8 minutes a game, sometimes a little more,sometimes a little less.
Is there something wrong with that? It would help if the dinosaur had a rotation policy... if I were coach I would sub in Guerrier, Carey, Edwards, Goodine at the 12 and 15 minute marks of each half and go full trunk monkey press for 5 to 7 mins or until the other team solved it. It would throw off the other team, give these guys some guaranteed run and potentially blow open games. Why not play to the strengths of your team.

Would Carey be better off as a Steive Thompson type player? Carey is taller than Thompson and maybe he would thrive closer to the rim for put backs or sprinting down the court on breaks without the ball.

Steive Thompson
Hmm, interesting...

For those that remember back then, Stevie was actually forced into the starting PG role during his senior year and we were stacked (DC, Owens) because it was the best way to get him on the floor and we didn’t have a good PG (I think Mike Edwards might have been a frosh as our only other option).

Much like other guys that were converted to point, Stevie wasn’t that great running the point and the team underperformed.

Stevie’s best skill was his ability to finish in transition and fight bigger guys for rebounds. Also a great defender. But he had a weak handle, was an average passer and couldn’t shoot from the outside. He was a slasher through and through. Perhaps the best slasher we’ve ever had. He could get to the basket and finish like no one else. It was a thing of beauty.

But he wasn’t a point guard.

Carey gets blocked at the rim more than any Syracuse player I can remember.
How quickly we forget another player who could get to the rim but was blocked way too many times. Brissett

Is there something wrong with that? It would help if the dinosaur had a rotation policy... if I were coach I would sub in Guerrier, Carey, Edwards, Goodine at the 12 and 15 minute marks of each half and go full trunk monkey press for 5 to 7 mins or until the other team solved it. It would throw off the other team, give these guys some guaranteed run and potentially blow open games. Why not play to the strengths of your team.
i cant take you seriously when your first nicknme for coach is "Dinosaur" you act like thats a strength until we get the breaks beaten off the first time that happens and you complain he did it.

How quickly we forget another player who could get to the rim but was blocked way too many times. Brissett

Brissett got blocked by the rim more than than anyone else I've ever seen

. He is a guy you want cast in a role where he pressures the ball and is free to release early and get transition baskets. Press a lot, play Jalen a lot. He has to subjugate his game and run the offense if he is to succeed here. Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. I do know that his chances to show he can do it are evaporating and soon will be gone. I hope he responds. Seems like a good guy and is capable of so much more than he has shown to date.
[/QUOTE]

I like JC as a high energy 6th man. Because he can play both Guard positions hes a natural to come off the bench. Joe, Goodine, and JC can all play the 1 or 2 so lots of combos for the Professor. I hope he sticks with it. Seems like a great kid who has a ton of upside.

i cant take you seriously when your first nicknme for coach is "Dinosaur" you act like thats a strength until we get the breaks beaten off the first time that happens and you complain he did it.
You need to realize to whom you are responding. Look at his posting history and decide whether it is worth the effort...

Hmm, interesting...

For those that remember back then, Stevie was actually forced into the starting PG role during his senior year and we were stacked (DC, Owens) because it was the best way to get him on the floor and we didn’t have a good PG (I think Mike Edwards might have been a frosh as our only other option).

Much like other guys that were converted to point, Stevie wasn’t that great running the point and the team underperformed.

Stevie’s best skill was his ability to finish in transition and fight bigger guys for rebounds. Also a great defender. But he had a weak handle, was an average passer and couldn’t shoot from the outside. He was a slasher through and through. Perhaps the best slasher we’ve ever had. He could get to the basket and finish like no one else. It was a thing of beauty.

But he wasn’t a point guard.
Stevie's best skill was playing alongside Sherm for 3 years...his shooting % dropped by double digits once Sherm graduated...

And, no, he wasn't a point guard by any stretch.

He should have been playing alongside Kenny Anderson his senior year rather than trying to play the point...

You need to realize to whom you are responding. Look at his posting history and decide whether it is worth the effort...
Sorry... but what does my posting history tell you? Keep in mind after the uva game I posted about how there Is a lot of hope for this season and I don’t think we will be a bubble team if a few things break our way.

I do think the biggest flaw of our hof head coach is a) player development and b) not adjusting his system to the strengths of his team.

There is not a large enough talent gap between players 2-9 on this roster to go with a short rotation. JB needs to put a system where he can take advantage of the depth... his stubbornness in not doing so makes him a dinosaur in my opinion.

He isn’t a point guard. I think given patience and hard work he could be a successful 2g at this level. His focus should be on improving his shot. He has been a square peg being forced into a round hole. Reset.

Sorry... but what does my posting history tell you? Keep in mind after the uva game I posted about how there Is a lot of hope for this season and I don’t think we will be a bubble team if a few things break our way.

I do think the biggest flaw of our hof head coach is a) player development and b) not adjusting his system to the strengths of his team.

There is not a large enough talent gap between players 2-9 on this roster to go with a short rotation. JB needs to put a system where he can take advantage of the depth... his stubbornness in not doing so makes him a dinosaur in my opinion.
If you believe #9 is close to #1, I think you need to watch more closely.
Carey, as of yet, cannot play at this level. Goodwin, the jury is out.
Bourama (sp?) was abused against UVA, and Edwards is no where near him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom