My Take | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

JB thinks they are playing well,and since they both are recovering from covid I will bet he knows more about their abilities than you.

if JB thinks they are playing well in certain games weve seen this year from certain players who dont come out (including Griffin), then I honestly question his judgement.

if the statement is JB plays who he THINKS will play well based on his knowledge of their abilities, im cool With that.

that, again, was not what was said.

Alan is still young and has plenty of time to grow into a guard. He has the scoring ability to be a solid two guard. He just needs a little time. He needs to be patient and coachable.
"He needs to be patient and coachable."

This is the problem I have with Griffin. He has difficulty scoring and that seems to effect the rest of his game. JB then pulls him and says a few words as he heads to his chair. It's happened many times and I'll wager that JB is saying something to the effect --stay with the game or keep working--We've talked about this before.'

So I'm not sure the lesson is being learned. Combine that with his first priority looking to score, instead of playing within the team game and it bodes bigger problems as the season goes on.

I could not agree more on your last point, nobody should be playing more than 35 minutes a night. Heck, I would lower that to 30-32 minutes a night. Everyone should be getting a rest. There are 120 minutes at the 1, 2 and 3 spots ... find a way to split those minutes 25-32 minutes each between Richmond, Girard, Boeheim and Griffin. As for the 80 minutes at the 4 and 5, split those between Dolezaj, Guerrier (each between 30-32 m/game) and Edwards, Braswell (each between 10-15 m/game).

We should not continually be in the 320th ranking or lower in bench minutes, like we have for year after year. If "they are not ready" - get them frickin' ready. It is the coaching staff's job.

PS - As others have said, Richmond was by far the best player on the court last night. Not even close. He made the offense work by constantly trying to get into the lane to set up Guerrier down low or our shooters outside ... he got the offense moving AND he was dynamic on the defensive end.
Great post. Rotation of players should happen unless.
1: The player is an Elite talent
2: The player is having an excellent game
3: There are no suitable alternative players.

This team doesnt have an elite player other than possibly Kadary and hes not ready for that role yet.

So Jim needs to let guys like Jessie Frank when hes better Bras and Woody play.
One other thing is different players bring different skill sets. This makes it harder for the D to dial it in.
Its simple play these guys.

if JB thinks they are playing well in certain games weve seen this year from certain players who dont come out (including Griffin), then I honestly question his judgement.

if the statement is JB plays who he THINKS will play well based on his knowledge of their abilities, im cool With that.

that, again, was not what was said.
That is your opinion and that is all it is. His opinion means so much more. How many games have you coached and won?? Oh yeah none.

No he doesn’t.
And you know this how? Oh yeah just Boeheim bashing. You are the guy who thought Goodine was a better player, How is he doing at Providence? Not exactly an all star for them either.

I dont think most people here really know what is good or bad D most of the time.. If you get beat by a guy thats easy to say bad D.. But that is not always true.. If you are late to rotate to the shooter thats bad D but thats not always true. if you never are seen at all because the ball doesnt come near you how do you decide if thats good or bad D?

You have to watch an entire possession and often the first mistake ends up with someone looking bad and thats not on him cause it was caused by a guy 5 passes earlier.

We have an entire team of bad rebounders, in fact at times the only guys really doing a good job of being in the right spot are the 3 guards.

If you think JB is playing favs as kin then you really dont know JB. the guys who make the shots in practice get the green lights in a game..

All you can ask is take the shots they expect you to make. They go in you look great they dont it looks bad.

We played a game with a center who actually was playing the center spot like a center, guess what the other team had to play him. teams play Marek different cause he plays it like a forward.. Some games thats great, some it isnt.

Buddy wasnt hunting shots, he was taking what was there to bleed the lead..

The big key is when Quincy can finish around the rim we seem to have an offense.

Just shoot close to 35% from 3 and we are in every game.

That is your opinion and that is all it is. His opinion means so much more. How many games have you coached and won?? Oh yeah none.

What’s my opinion?

Do you think JB thinks Merek played well vs UNC? Because he played 35 mins. Based on your theory, JB thinks Merek played well.

Last edited:
What’s my opinion?

Do you think JB thinks Merek played well be UNC? Because he played 35 mins. Based on your theory, JB thinks Merek played well.
I do not have a theory I know who he is playing you are the one with a theory that he should be playing someone else. Buzz off.

I do not have a theory I know who he is playing you are the one with a theory that he should be playing someone else. Buzz off.

My theory is 100 percent not about that he should be playing someone else. You seem confused.

It’s that he’s not playing folks based on their play in the game in question.

And you know this how? Oh yeah just Boeheim bashing. You are the guy who thought Goodine was a better player, How is he doing at Providence? Not exactly an all star for them either.
Exactly how it works

Gee, I wonder how he got a scholarship offer from Syracuse?

I don’t think AG and BB are that different.
Both get hot.
AG is a better rebounder.
BB doesn’t make dumb turnovers.
Both are chuckers and streak shooters.
One shouldn’t play 16 minutes and the other 35 minutes.

We need Kadary at PG
Split SG minutes between JG and BB
Give JG the backup point guard minutes 5 per half.
Cause remember these are kids who don’t get tired unless it means more playing time for Buddy. He doesn’t get tired even though he just had Covid.

I swear we aren’t going to be our best team unless the minutes are more balanced and the better players are playing more.
Kadary had no business playing the 6th most minutes yesterday.
The game was over at halftime.
Miami couldn’t score.
We didn’t bring Kadary in till over half of the second half was played.

The idea that JB wanted to experiment with the 3 guard lineup has no evidence.
He didn’t play the 3 guard lineup till he took Griffin out for Buddy at the 9 minute mark in the first half.
The 3 guard played the last 9 minutes of the first half.
Then they played 5 minutes in the second half together when the game was over 20 points.

It was a grand total of 14 minutes. Of which the team was ahead 10+ points the entire time.

It’s spin to infer it was an experiment. It was a chance to keep Kadary in the game and get “spacing” that Griffin couldn’t provide.
Good post. Youhit on one thing that really bothered me but I have hesitated to bring up and that was the long wait in the 2nd half before Kadary was back in. It was almost like we are winning without him even though we are making mistakes and maybe we can work it out. Hell, the guy sparked the team immediately in the 1st half and should be given an early opportunity to pick up where he left off. We are well enough into the season to know without a doubt, Kadary is our best PG.

This week’s coaches show fuels a lot of the discussion in this thread.
It’s not the players fault. Nor does hate drive any opinions.

I dont think most people here really know what is good or bad D most of the time.. If you get beat by a guy thats easy to say bad D.. But that is not always true.. If you are late to rotate to the shooter thats bad D but thats not always true. if you never are seen at all because the ball doesnt come near you how do you decide if thats good or bad D?

You have to watch an entire possession and often the first mistake ends up with someone looking bad and thats not on him cause it was caused by a guy 5 passes earlier.

We have an entire team of bad rebounders, in fact at times the only guys really doing a good job of being in the right spot are the 3 guards.

If you think JB is playing favs as kin then you really dont know JB. the guys who make the shots in practice get the green lights in a game..

All you can ask is take the shots they expect you to make. They go in you look great they dont it looks bad.

We played a game with a center who actually was playing the center spot like a center, guess what the other team had to play him. teams play Marek different cause he plays it like a forward.. Some games thats great, some it isnt.

Buddy wasnt hunting shots, he was taking what was there to bleed the lead..

The big key is when Quincy can finish around the rim we seem to have an offense.

Just shoot close to 35% from 3 and we are in every game.
“We have an entire team of bad rebounders, in fact at times the only guys really doing a good job of being in the right spot are the 3 guards.”

lol at this. Quincy is becoming an elite rebounder. In terms of the guards, Kadary is really good on the boards. But Buddy is the worst rebounder on the team by a country mile.

Last edited:
Such a lame, lazy argument. You sound like JB.

“We have an entire team of bad rebounders, in fact at times the only guys really doing a good job of being in the right spot are the 3 guards.”

lol at this. Quincy is becoming an elite rebounder. In terms of the guards, Kadary is really good on the boards. But Buddy is the worst rebounder on the team, by a country mile.

Here's the thing that keeps me sane, if I'm wrong on my criticisms and JB keeps doing what he's doing, we'll win a bunch of games - great!

If I'm right and JB doesn't change, then we'll likely lose more than we want to.

It will play out on the court.

Alan played awful last night. Forced 2 bad 3s that were both air balls. Threw a crazy pass with almost no chance of success. 3 awful mental errors.

What JB has been asking Alan to do is exactly what Buddy was doing last night. Get some penetration, get into the paint, get quality mid range jump shots. This is not something Alan has done. He is clearly uncomfortable doing it. Has made a lot of turnovers trying to beat his man, back him man down. He is way behind Buddy here but he is working on it and his career at Syracuse is very much tied to how success he is getting his mid range game going (also would like to see him sometimes finish at the basket).

I will say that I think one of the things Alan does best is finish plays in transition. He is fast and athletic and at his best in fast paced games where he can get out in 2 on 1 type situations. We are asking him to help out with defensive rebounding and focus on getting boards, so that part of his game has largely been taken away.

For Alan to truly thrive, he probably should be playing the 2. In that role, he would get a lot more good scoring chances. This would also require him learning to play the 2-3 up top. That is a problem.

He has usually been a major liability in the 2-3 zone. When Alan is in games, teams are routinely targeting his area of the zone to attack. Buddy is no Kadary playing in the zone but he is at least average. Asking him to start over and learn the responsibilities playing up top might not be the best strategy right now.

Anyway, I completely disagree with you about Alan doing things as well as Buddy, at least at guard. He can rebound better than Buddy for sure and I think he is a better finisher. Buddy is way better in the mid range game, he has far better judgement (look at the turnovers, my God) and is better defensively.

It is great to see Edwards and Kadary playing well. I hope they both get quality minutes the rest of the season. Hope there is PT made available for Braswell or Woody too...whichever is playing better in practice. I hope JB takes advantage of the developing bench and uses it to rest all the starters.

But unless Alan starts playing well soon, I suspect he is going to lose the most playing time of the starters. Who knows, maybe he had a cold or a pulled muscle last night. We have seen games where AG is terrific. He just needs to find a way to be more consistent. Along with the rest of this team.

Terrific post! I think the thing that holds Alan back is his handle. It needs to improve.

Our system requires our wing players to be able to beat people off the bounce. I can't remember a guy in that role on the wing who got stripped so often as Alan.

He is a very good shooter, but you're right, tomcat, he could use that midrange game that Buddy has been so effective in developing the last year or so.

Griffin's time will go to Marek, if Edwards emerges. Or it could go to Woody or Braswell, or even Buddy to play the 3 guard lineup.

At least JB is trying some different lineups. That makes me a bit more optimistic from my earlier criticism of his manner of handling the lineups and combinations so far this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom