My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

And in the first 8 minutes of the second half we outscored Miami 23 - 7. If it ain't broke...

I don’t disagree. My concern is in the future, if this lineup is failing, he needs to pull the trigger faster. Scoring 2 pts in 7 mins against a better team, we will not come back.

That isn’t getting to the point Robert Braswell was Alan Griffin’s backup the previous 4 games.
Now when Griffin sat Buddy became the SF.
I thought practice matters.

The amount of minutes certain players play is 100% fair game to question. Too bad anything isn’t Sunshine Day is considered hate.

I was talking about Buddy as a forward.
Alan can do that stuff.

When Buddy plays less than 20 minutes when he plays poorly then I will believe he gets treated like everyone else.
Buddy was awful against Pitt and he played 40.
So you point out all of Griffin’s bad from yesterday.

He sat.

Why can’t Buddy’s bad get him sat down?

Jim Boeheim can be questioned on this.
He doesn’t treat every situation the same.
I am sorry but people can say Buddy plays too much and that doesn’t mean they hate him. Using that language shuts debate down.
You endlessly complain about how much Buddy plays. Every game you complain about it. Even when he plays terrific (like last night) and the guy you want to play instead of him plays awful).

I take that as hate. You are being irrational in your constant complaining about him and how much playing time he gets.

Anyway, debate is clearly happening. Your claim debate is being shut down is again baseless.

I hope Alan someday develops a good mid range scoring game. The team needs him to do move than stand around the perimeter on offense and take long shots while covered, or throw the ball away for no reason. He can and should be capable of so much more.

I haven't seen Alan do it like Buddy does it. He can't even get into position to get these shots off. At some point, you need to actually watch the games and change what you post to fit what is actually happening on the court. I encourage you to do so.

You endlessly complain about how much Buddy plays. Every game you complain about it. Even when he plays terrific (like last night) and the guy you want to play instead of him plays awful).

I take that as hate. You are being irrational in your constant complaining about him and how much playing time he gets.

Anyway, debate is clearly happening. Your claim debate is being shut down is again baseless.

I hope Alan someday develops a good mid range scoring game. The team needs him to do move than stand around the perimeter on offense and take long shots while covered, or throw the ball away for no reason. He can and should be capable of so much more.

I haven't seen Alan do it like Buddy does it. He can't even get into position to get these shots off. At some point, you need to actually watch the games and change what you post to fit what is actually happening on the court. I encourage you to do so.
Lol trust me when you I tell people aren’t overwhelmingly on your side.
The H0T Takes thread on the OT side is having to deal with this because you will say this crap. Like only you are right.
You aren’t doing anything to disprove me.
It’s all subjective.
If you want all those people to come here and prove to you that your quote disproving me then the bat signal will be sent.

Instead you take the fact that I post a consistent issue that is a problem and you are disproving me. Anytime you want to debate I’ll be there.

But thanks for owning me. I needed it.
Good god as much I bring legitimate criticism I give praise when it’s warranted.
Sorry but the kid is not a superstar and does not deserve superstar minutes.
Points are spun to justify whatever can be said to rationalize what is done.

When Buddy plays less than 20 minutes in a game when he plays poorly which has numerous games this year I will believe he is treated the same as others.

Completely fair point but you disproved me so this point is just hate.

It’s not hate. The stuff you just said Buddy could do Alan Griffin can do as well.

One shouldn’t be playing 35 minutes and the other 16 minutes. The minutes are ridiculous. Sorry you disagree but you accusing it of hate tries to destroy any debate on the subject.

If we go to a 3 guard lineup it will have to be against teams like Miami which aren’t big.
Alan Griffin can take advantage of less athletic forwards as well.
Griffin just did not play well, not saying he cant but he played like crap this game and that is why his minutes were low. You play people who are playing well not those who are not.

Griffin just did not play well, not saying he cant but he played like crap this game and that is why his minutes were low. You play people who are playing well not those who are not.
You are correct so why did Buddy play 40 against Pitt.
He didn’t play well and he played the whole game.
There is no consistency.
Which is my freakin point.

There is a reason. Buddy is under 40% from the field and under 30% from three but shoots the most FGs and threes on the team, has the highest usage rate, has the lowest DBPM, BPM and DWS of the players that get real PT. AG also beats him in PER by 5 points, TS% 57% to 49% and eFG% 54% to 47%.

AG is more efficient, better shooting, better on defense, better at rebounding and a better athlete.

Again, the argument isn't AG v Buddy. It's JGIII v Buddy at the 2. And you can make a real argument that JGIII should start over Buddy at this point.

Yes, there will be games where Buddy is hot and he should play. On the whole, though, Buddy is a liability with the way he plays / is allowed to play.

Glad Buddy played well. Glad he got past COVID. We need him. He's an ok player that is a net negative when he plays a lot. Sorry if this deflates everyone's hopes and dreams.

BTW - I caught BS when I posted all these types of stats at the very beginning of the year re JGIII. The numbers don't lie. The truth is staring us right in the face.

There is a reason. Buddy is under 40% from the field and under 30% from three but shoots the most FGs and threes on the team, has the highest usage rate, has the lowest DBPM, BPM and DWS of the players that get real PT. AG also beats him in PER by 5 points, TS% 57% to 49% and eFG% 54% to 47%.

AG is more efficient, better shooting, better on defense, better at rebounding and a better athlete.

Again, the argument isn't AG v Buddy. It's JGIII v Buddy at the 2. And you can make a real argument that JGIII should start over Buddy at this point.

Yes, there will be games where Buddy is hot and he should play. On the whole, though, Buddy is a liability with the way he plays / is allowed to play.

Glad Buddy played well. Glad he got past COVID. We need him. He's an ok player that is a net negative when he plays a lot. Sorry if this deflates everyone's hopes and dreams.

BTW - I caught BS when I posted all these types of stats at the very beginning of the year re JGIII. The numbers don't lie. The truth is staring us right in the face.
Thank you

I don’t think AG and BB are that different.
Both get hot.
AG is a better rebounder.
BB doesn’t make dumb turnovers.
Both are chuckers and streak shooters.
One shouldn’t play 16 minutes and the other 35 minutes.

We need Kadary at PG
Split SG minutes between JG and BB
Give JG the backup point guard minutes 5 per half.
Cause remember these are kids who don’t get tired unless it means more playing time for Buddy. He doesn’t get tired even though he just had Covid.

I swear we aren’t going to be our best team unless the minutes are more balanced and the better players are playing more.
Kadary had no business playing the 6th most minutes yesterday.
The game was over at halftime.
Miami couldn’t score.
We didn’t bring Kadary in till over half of the second half was played.

The idea that JB wanted to experiment with the 3 guard lineup has no evidence.
He didn’t play the 3 guard lineup till he took Griffin out for Buddy at the 9 minute mark in the first half.
The 3 guard played the last 9 minutes of the first half.
Then they played 5 minutes in the second half together when the game was over 20 points.

It was a grand total of 14 minutes. Of which the team was ahead 10+ points the entire time.

It’s spin to infer it was an experiment. It was a chance to keep Kadary in the game and get “spacing” that Griffin couldn’t provide.

"The idea that JB wanted to experiment with the 3 guard lineup has no evidence."

"It was a chance to keep Kadary in the game and get “spacing” that Griffin couldn’t provide."

Sounds like an experiment to me.

"The idea that JB wanted to experiment with the 3 guard lineup has no evidence."

"It was a chance to keep Kadary in the game and get “spacing” that Griffin couldn’t provide."

Sounds like an experiment to me.
You may be right or it may be other things. I wish the media asked him.

Do you believe that is the standard JB has set? I don’t
Because JB has won like 1000 games and neither you or I have, I think I will go with his judgement not yours or mine for that matter.

I think AG can play better than Buddy and with his skill set, he should play better than Buddy. Sometimes he does. Last night was not one of those times.

Agree AG is not going to play meaningful minutes at guard. But Buddy might play meaningful minutes at forward, and that is what is really being discussed.

I advocate playing the players who play the best. We have some options at guard, forward and center now. Hope JB establishes a regular rotation, but also allocates playing time in part on who is playing well and who is struggling. No one should play 35 minutes regardless of how they are playing.

I have limited time, so let's stop wasting time and get this post going,

Another surprising result in a season full of them. When a team is killed that badly, you wonder how good they are. Well, Miami beat Purdue early this season. They have had a series of heart breaking 1 or 2 point losses but had won 2 of their last 3, including a win against a decent NC State team in Raleigh and a win at home against UL (they were ranked #16 at the time).

They miss Lykes a lot. Losing a senior PG is always a big blow. But he has been out since the first two games of the season. Still, you can tell they lack a leader running the half court offense. They did not do a good job attacking the zone.

Good to see the backcourt playing well again. Might be the first game all 3 guards played well. Hope to see more of that. It seemed like things started to roll when Kadary came in and JGIII was moved to the 2. He can attack defenses from the wing playing the 2, can get the ball closer to the basket, making it easier for him to get looks from the paint...in short, he has a lot more freedom to try and get open in places where he can score. And Kadary looked for him and get him the ball in those places. We need to see more of that. There was chemistry there that I don't see a lot with JGIII and Buddy.

Alan seems to have games where he is just not there mentally. This was one of them. He just stood around on the perimeter when he was in, and jacked a couple of bad 3s, where he was either too far from the basket or had someone in his face. Air balls. He comes back in and almost immediately throws a really risky pass to a player underneath, but reads the cut wrong and the pass goes to no one. Just mindless, awful basketball. I think he was frustrated at getting pulled early and let it affect his play. He has to work harder to get open. Can't just force bad shots from the perimeter and expect to do well.

Marek was again not himself. Didn't even take a shot until late in the game. I think he had 2 rebounds late in the game. Barely even touched the ball. Since he was hit in the face by the Georgetown kid, he has not been the same.

UNC 35 minutes, 2-3 from the field, 2-2 from the FT line, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 6 points
Pitt 39 minutes, 4-6 from the field, 6-8 from the FT line, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 14 points
Miami 27 minutes, 0-1 from the field, 0-0 from the FT line, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 points

He has taken 10 shots in 3 games. He should be doing that for every game. He has 10 rebounds in 3 games. Edwards had 6 in 23 minutes last night. Hope he gets his mojo back. We need him to score and rebound the ball.

It looked like there was some effort made to get the ball to Quincy down low. I think this is becoming a point of emphasis, which is great to see. Kadary in particular is good at finding him open down low.

Edwards is not a great rebounder. He is going to be in position, get his hands on the ball and get it knocked loose a lot. He is going to get knocked on his butt a lot. Just doesn't have the strength he needs. I so hope there is a major change in the way the players work during the off season where they can be introduced to weight training to gain muscle mass and strength. We have to have the worst weight training program in the country and it is costing us a lot of victories. I hope this is not by design (and that we want the weakest team in the country every season). Please, make the players lift weights, eat right and develop bodies comparable to the rest of the teams in the ACC. Please.

That said, Jesse has some athletic ability. He is long, noticeably longer than Marek to my eye (think wingspan) and when Miami got the ball into the paint, Edwards affected some shots. He was only credited with 1 block (I think they might have missed one or two) but this was the first time this year I have missed opposing players show some concern over taking shots inside (they should be concerned about the great weak side help Q is providing a couple of times each game as well).

Good to see Kadary playing with confidence again. He was still a bit more tentative than I would like but he is clearly our best guard passing the ball, especially down low, and he is a major disruptive force up top in the zone. I will be very interested to see what kind of numbers he puts up for blocks and steals when he starts playing 30 or more minutes a game.

Glad Buddy and JGIII are feeling better. I suspect the bad UM defense was also partly responsible for their major improvements but good to see them making a lot of shots, and I was happy with Joe's shot selection (only one suspect shot, a very long 3 at the start of the shot clock which he made). Sad Braswell played so little in a game where Alan was a non factor. Did we really need to play Buddy at forward so much in the 2nd half?

I am wondering though if the reason this was done was to see how well things went with JGIII, Buddy and Kadary all playing at the same time. It might be something he is going to use more as the season progresses. Because that 3 guard grouping was very effective on offense and not bad rebounding or defending.

Alan better step up his game or his minutes are going to be going down.

"I so hope there is a major change in the way the players work during the off season where they can be introduced to weight training to gain muscle mass and strength. We have to have the worst weight training program in the country and it is costing us a lot of victories. I hope this is not by design (and that we want the weakest team in the country every season). Please, make the players lift weights, eat right and develop bodies comparable to the rest of the teams in the ACC. Please."

I'm thinking of quoting this passage to JB on his show tomorrow night. I won't be attributing it as I don't want to make it You vs. JB. I just would be trying to get an answer for you. I might use an edited version of it. But I won't quote you without your permission. Let me know if you have an objection.

"I so hope there is a major change in the way the players work during the off season where they can be introduced to weight training to gain muscle mass and strength. We have to have the worst weight training program in the country and it is costing us a lot of victories. I hope this is not by design (and that we want the weakest team in the country every season). Please, make the players lift weights, eat right and develop bodies comparable to the rest of the teams in the ACC. Please."

I'm thinking of quoting this passage to JB on his show tomorrow night. I won't be attributing it as I don't want to make it You vs. JB. I just would be trying to get an answer for you. I might use an edited version of it. But I won't quote you without your permission. Let me know if you have an objection.
I don't mind @SWC. I would be interested in whether JB is happy with the physical development of our players in recent years.

I suspect he is not. I know he chided BMK a number of times in public because he gained 1 pound while he was on campus. I wonder if he thinks this development is all on the players or if the training staff and coaches are also partly responsible.

Something is going very wrong with the development of our basketball players.

I don't mind @SWC. I would be interested in whether JB is happy with the physical development of our players in recent years.

I suspect he is not. I know he chided BMK a number of times in public because he gained 1 pound while he was on campus. I wonder if he thinks this development is all on the players or if the training staff and coaches are also partly responsible.

Something is going very wrong with the development of our basketball players.
I am all for getting the centers and power forwards to weight train, however for guards weight training is a double edged sword, it can destroy a good shooters ability if done too quickly. For them slower incremental increase in weight and strength is the more desirable way to proceed.

I think AG can play better than Buddy and with his skill set, he should play better than Buddy. Sometimes he does. Last night was not one of those times.

Agree AG is not going to play meaningful minutes at guard. But Buddy might play meaningful minutes at forward, and that is what is really being discussed.

I advocate playing the players who play the best. We have some options at guard, forward and center now. Hope JB establishes a regular rotation, but also allocates playing time in part on who is playing well and who is struggling. No one should play 35 minutes regardless of how they are playing.

I guess where we disagree is that I don't think Buddy warrants the amount of minutes he gets to "get hot". Again, if anything, JGIII has started to decrease his volume shooting and improve his D metrics, basically what we all were asking for and could be argued that he should start.

In fact, I have hard time seeing how Buddy should start and, plainly, I think if his name was John Doe, he wouldn't, or at least would have a much shorter leash.

To me, the players that have warranted starting/most minutes are: Q, AG (even tho he is auditioning for the NBA no doubt) and KR.

Buddy was shot-hunting in the 2H when the game was over. Something AG usually does if he doesn't get enough touches (or at least in his own head).

I don't know. To me, Buddy can get 30+ when he's on fire. But he has done nothing that warrants the offense to allow him to be the guy that shoots the most on this team. That's outrageous. Any other team/coach, there would be a lot more scrutiny on it.

So, yes, play the best players. Buddy is not one of our best players.

I guess where we disagree is that I don't think Buddy warrants the amount of minutes he gets to "get hot". Again, if anything, JGIII has started to decrease his volume shooting and improve his D metrics, basically what we all were asking for and could be argued that he should start.

In fact, I have hard time seeing how Buddy should start and, plainly, I think if his name was John Doe, he wouldn't, or at least would have a much shorter leash.

To me, the players that have warranted starting/most minutes are: Q, AG (even tho he is auditioning for the NBA no doubt) and KR.

Buddy was shot-hunting in the 2H when the game was over. Something AG usually does if he doesn't get enough touches (or at least in his own head).

I don't know. To me, Buddy can get 30+ when he's on fire. But he has done nothing that warrants the offense to allow him to be the guy that shoots the most on this team. That's outrageous. Any other team/coach, there would be a lot more scrutiny on it.

It’s not hate. It’s this!!

So if you take a step back we all agree a hell of a lot more than we disagree.

JB says - he plays the guys that can help us win. In the past five years of debate we hit on concerns over who gets the minutes and also player development concerns. There is a global element of sports that some guys show their stuff in practice more and some show it when the lights come on and then there are some that do both. There are enough examples of each of these within JBs tenure. Maybe not this assistant staff but for sure over the years with JB.

There is clear evidence of guys like Woody and now Jesse showing things in games when opportunity is presented. There is clear evidence that neither AG, Buddy, Woody or even Marek have shown that they standout as being the guys who clearly give us the best shot alone but instead it's a mixture that can change game to game.

We have lost 4 games we have had a lead we could have held onto even being short handed. We also stole a couple too. We have pieces but we also have leaned too much on things that have backfired too. I think everyone is saying there are things that make little sense and deserve an explanation to the fan base. This is not to denigrate opponents at all as some have played really well be it well supported by our failures but still.

I think it's fair to ask questions of tendencies that can cost us critical games and trends that don't improve when the message is that of decisions are based on what gives us the best chance to win. It is also fair to say that those players who are the most beat up by the fan base aren't as bad either. It is clear there is a lot to work with this year and there is absolutely merit in some of the concerns. Blind faith is foolish as much as is blind cynicism.

So if you take a step back we all agree a hell of a lot more than we disagree.

JB says - he plays the guys that can help us win. In the past five years of debate we hit on concerns over who gets the minutes and also player development concerns. There is a global element of sports that some guys show their stuff in practice more and some show it when the lights come on and then there are some that do both. There are enough examples of each of these within JBs tenure. Maybe not this assistant staff but for sure over the years with JB.

There is clear evidence of guys like Woody and now Jesse showing things in games when opportunity is presented. There is clear evidence that neither AG, Buddy, Woody or even Marek have shown that they standout as being the guys who clearly give us the best shot alone but instead it's a mixture that can change game to game.

We have lost 4 games we have had a lead we could have held onto even being short handed. We also stole a couple too. We have pieces but we also have leaned too much on things that have backfired too. I think everyone is saying there are things that make little sense and deserve an explanation to the fan base. This is not to denigrate opponents at all as some have played really well be it well supported by our failures but still.

I think it's fair to ask questions of tendencies that can cost us critical games and trends that don't improve when the message is that of decisions are based on what gives us the best chance to win. It is also fair to say that those players who are the most beat up by the fan base aren't as bad either. It is clear there is a lot to work with this year and there is absolutely merit in some of the concerns. Blind faith is foolish as much as is blind cynicism.
Perfectly stated.

I never said Buddy warrants the amount of minutes he gets to "get hot". If you want to argue with yourself, go ahead, but leave me out of it.

Playing devils advocate here, but this is the worst Buddy has shot/played since he’s been here so I assume there’s some thought by the coaching staff that his best ball is ahead of him and he’s not the player with the numbers he has had so far. I mean if we are going to pick on Girard for shooting 32% for 2 years then why are we just looking at Buddy based on a 9 game sample size. I see a lot of people doing this and it doesn’t make sense to me.

Also I could see why JB wanted to give players confidence yesterday, but I thought Braswell deserved to play in both halves. He’s earned the minutes.

If you want to say “JB plays the guys he feels are his best players”, I would agree with that and agree that is the standard.

If you want to say “JB plays the players who are playing best game to game”, I simply disagree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom