My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

13 FTs attempts. You are making a decision based on 13 FTs.
Why would you play Jimmy at the end of games then?

Symir can play defense and makes the zone better. You aren’t getting the point we don’t even try to use our bench in situations it can help.

If Symir made 58% of his FTs which is making 3 more it wouldn’t matter.

The numbers have been shown. We are at our worst in the last 10 minutes of the game. The thread about quarters broken down.

We can sub in situations we need defense and we can sub in situations we need offense. Instead we only sub when it’s completely necessary.

Our starters may be better offensive players they aren’t better defensive players we can actually use that.

He was 73% and 67% his two years at Marquette. Don't know how many or when. So for a primary ballhandler it's a bit borderline, like the rest of the team seems to be with tradeoffs.

Exposing Jimmy against Wake in that final possession was a mistake. The proof will be what happens the next time we are in that situation, because we will be.

He was 73% and 67% his two years at Marquette. Don't know how many or when. So for a primary ballhandler it's a bit borderline, like the rest of the team seems to be with tradeoffs.

Exposing Jimmy against Wake in that final possession was a mistake. The proof will be what happens the next time we are in that situation, because we will be.

One note, not only did Jimmy make a massive error in his attempt at the end of the game, he repeated it last game (albeit not at the end of the game). It's a feature of his game, not a bug, and there are zero repercussions.

We are going to be in a lot of close games and, to your point, we'll see how they roll at the end of those games.

We can sub players in for specific situations.

We are up 2 against Wake 10 seconds left do you ride your starters or do you bring in the best defensive lineup?
You don’t need to worry about offense.

In those situations Girard/Boeheim up top and Boeheim in the middle of the zone SHOULD NEVER happen.

Guess what that is exactly what took place and because the HC would say we need that lineup for offense but not defense. That was a clear situation the bench should be in for defense. Instead no subs and we gave up a dunk in 4 seconds and lost in OT.

The coaching has been poor. We won’t use the bench in clear situations we should but Symir is 5 for 13 from the FT line so he has to sit.

Your argument should be Benny for Jimmy for defensive purposes at the end of the game.

DBPM
Jesse: 2.9
Benny 0.3
Cole: 0.2
Joe: 0.0
Frank -0.1
Symir -0.7
Buddy: -0.8
Jimmy: -0.8

Your argument should be Benny for Jimmy for defensive purposes at the end of the game.

DBPM
Jesse: 2.9
Benny 0.3
Cole: 0.2
Joe: 0.0
Frank -0.1
Symir -0.7
Buddy: -0.8
Jimmy: -0.8

Benny should be in whenever Cole or Jimmy are having bad games. Symir should be in when Joe is having a bad game. Buddy is our best guy and draws the top defender(s), so he needs to be in there. He's shown he can play the '3' with Symir and Joe, so that's an option, too.

Last edited:
Benny should be in whenever Cole or Jimmy are having bad games. Symir should be in when Joe is having a bad game. Buddy is our best guy and draws the top defender(s), so he needs to be in there. He's shown he can play the '3' with Symir and Joe, so that's an option, too.

My post was specific to end of game situations.

13 FTs attempts. You are making a decision based on 13 FTs.
Why would you play Jimmy at the end of games then?

Symir can play defense and makes the zone better. You aren’t getting the point we don’t even try to use our bench in situations it can help.

If Symir made 58% of his FTs which is making 3 more it wouldn’t matter.

The numbers have been shown. We are at our worst in the last 10 minutes of the game. The thread about quarters broken down.

We can sub in situations we need defense and we can sub in situations we need offense. Instead we only sub when it’s completely necessary.

Our starters may be better offensive players they aren’t better defensive players we can actually use that.
I’m offering an opinion based on my view of who anyone would prefer on the line in those situations. Jimmy is a different discussion. However, he isn’t in there to handle the ball. Smyrna better ball handling is only a benefit if he’s handling the ball and thus more likely to be the player sent to the line.

I’m offering an opinion based on my view of who anyone would prefer on the line in those situations. Jimmy is a different discussion. However, he isn’t in there to handle the ball. Smyrna better ball handling is only a benefit if he’s handling the ball and thus more likely to be the player sent to the line.
I would hope if we ever get to 11 seconds remaining and a 2 point lead, that we get Symir in the game for Jimmy. I would rather take my chances on a missed free throw than a turnover.

I would hope if we ever get to 11 seconds remaining and a 2 point lead, that we get Symir in the game for Jimmy. I would rather take my chances on a missed free throw than a turnover.
I believe the vast majority of opposing coaches would agree with you. Whether Jimmy is in the game or Symir, the offense has to try to keep the ball out of their hands.

I think having Sy in for better ball handling is important so we don't just turn the ball over, which is priority number one.

Separately, I know this is pertaining to end of game, but the Boeheims are #1 and tied for #2 for usage rate for the season and #1 and #2 in conference play.

If our end of game strategy has more pressure on non-Boeheims, we need to figure something out that works, because it's a divorce from the rest of the game.

BTW, that usage rate thing, it's Buddy, then a severe drop off, then Jimmy. Now, that isn't totally unusual, best offensive player will have the most usage (duh), but I would just say that if our second option isn't reliable, which is Jimmy on offense, at the end of close games, then we need to do some adjustments.

I'd even think we would do more offense/defense subs to alleviate some of the pressure on D that Jesse has to deal with when it's our starting five out there. Just having Jesse on the court is a huge advantage for us, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom