My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

How are the Manhattans’?
Very good. We found a bottle of B&B. Very, very good. We helped clean out a relative’s house. There were several bottles of booze in Christmas boxes. A couple from the days when proof was 86

How are you? Back north yet?

Everyone keeps mentioning DL and needing big bodies but no one has mentioned our in-house transfer to the DL.

That would be Josh Hough. The kid is absolutely absolutely massive now. There is no way that he isn’t putting weight on to switch to DL instead of RB.

This kind of goes with the rumor that I heard that his knee injury was career ending. Obviously, it wasn’t. But I think it might have been career ending for RB Josh Hough.

The kid is an absolute massive unit and I have a feeling if he really is making the switch to DL. He is going to cause trouble for opposing OLs

Everyone keeps mentioning DL and needing big bodies but no one has mentioned our in-house transfer to the DL.

That would be Josh Hough. The kid is absolutely absolutely massive now. There is no way that he isn’t putting weight on to switch to DL instead of RB.

This kind of goes with the rumor that I heard that his knee injury was career ending. Obviously, it wasn’t. But I think it might have been career ending for RB Josh Hough.

The kid is an absolute massive unit and I have a feeling if he really is making the switch to DL. He is going to cause trouble for opposing OLs
Josh is a terrific athlete. Regardless of a position he plays, I hope he’s cleared for practice soon and we can finally see them on the playing field. Get well soon Josh!

Loved being able to see the team. Hope this becomes the new norm. Lamson displayed beautiful touch on the long ball. Loved seeing Alford show the new coaches what a unique athlete he is with his large catch radius and then ability to run by everyone. The Rb's and receivers look good-No obvious drops. The keys to the 2022 offense IMO will be whether Shrader can consistently throw the long ball and whether the OL can give him time to do so. It seems at this point that Vet will be the Center and if so, I can hope he can handle the strong DT's that we sometimes see in the ACC.
Defense looks solid-Just need 1 or 2 Goode additions on the DL with a little more size than we have.
Loved seeing the full contact, including the QB's-That's the best way to see how guys can perform in a real game and the Spring gives plenty of time to recover for the Fall, in case of injury. Also thought it made sense to keep out some of our most indispensable players. My only thing I'd do differently is give Lamson a couple of shots at our starting Defense and give Villari and Morgan a shot at our #2 defense. Was surprised how much run they gave Macphail, but he looked pretty good for our #5 guy.
Absolutely pumped for the season!

Maybe try him at DL

or LB, like Wax?

From my Football preview last August:

What jumps out at me is that there’s very little power running showed here. On most of these runs, he’s untouched. Part of that is excellent blocking. Part of it is Josh’s quick acceleration though the line and his ability to pick the correct hole and look for the seams. But I have to say I didn’t see how good a short-yardage power runner he is. Maybe there were so many long plays to highlight that there was no room for those plays. Maybe he’s just so much bigger than the average high school player they are afraid to make contact with him. I’m not saying that Josh isn’t a great power runner. I’m just saying that this clip doesn’t show me that. Also, like Howard, he can sure run past those teenagers. But will he be able to do it against ACC-level college players? He was measured at 4.69 in the forty, which is good for a man his size but otherwise not exceptional for a college running back. Steele ranked Hough the #118 RB in the nation, 247 #84 – good but not exceptional rankings.

One more note: I thought his defensive plays were as impressive in their own way as the long runs on offense. He can bat passes down, use his quickness to get into the backfield and throws ball-carriers around as if they were crash test dummies. He'd make a heck of an inside linebacker, (much like Marlowe Wax, so was also a big-time power runner in high school but is now a very promising LB). Whatever happens with Josh, I’m glad it will happen in Orange.

or LB, like Wax?

From my Football preview last August:

What jumps out at me is that there’s very little power running showed here. On most of these runs, he’s untouched. Part of that is excellent blocking. Part of it is Josh’s quick acceleration though the line and his ability to pick the correct hole and look for the seams. But I have to say I didn’t see how good a short-yardage power runner he is. Maybe there were so many long plays to highlight that there was no room for those plays. Maybe he’s just so much bigger than the average high school player they are afraid to make contact with him. I’m not saying that Josh isn’t a great power runner. I’m just saying that this clip doesn’t show me that. Also, like Howard, he can sure run past those teenagers. But will he be able to do it against ACC-level college players? He was measured at 4.69 in the forty, which is good for a man his size but otherwise not exceptional for a college running back. Steele ranked Hough the #118 RB in the nation, 247 #84 – good but not exceptional rankings.

One more note: I thought his defensive plays were as impressive in their own way as the long runs on offense. He can bat passes down, use his quickness to get into the backfield and throws ball-carriers around as if they were crash test dummies. He'd make a heck of an inside linebacker, (much like Marlowe Wax, so was also a big-time power runner in high school but is now a very promising LB). Whatever happens with Josh, I’m glad it will happen in Orange.
He's about 20 pounds heavier than he was in that film. I think he would be great playing the edge on the LOS. He did that a lot in HS. Im not sure if his injury hindered his ability to change direction. If so, that will make it difficult for him to cover and change directions in space. I remember Wax and Thompson being RBs' in HS. These skill sets are interchangeable.

He's about 20 pounds heavier than he was in that film. I think he would be great playing the edge on the LOS. He did that a lot in HS. Im not sure if his injury hindered his ability to change direction. If so, that will make it difficult for him to cover and change directions in space. I remember Wax and Thompson being RBs' in HS. These skill sets are interchangeable.
I always envisioned him transitioning to either LB or DL, he just seemed to be getting too big for RB, and his speed will make him a potential beast on the DL. I just hope he gets and stays healthy.

Idk 20lbs might be under…

I sat pretty close to where he was on the sidelines on Friday nights game and boy….he looked massive, like 290/300 lbs massive. However, I’m not an expert on guessing that kind of stuff

All I know is, if he is switching to DL which I’m assuming he is because he was in an orange jersey on the defensive side of the field for the game, I would not want to be the OL lined up across from him.

Have a feel he will cause some major headaches in the backfield

Idk 20lbs might be under…

I sat pretty close to where he was on the sidelines on Friday nights game and boy….he looked massive, like 290/300 lbs massive. However, I’m not an expert on guessing that kind of stuff

All I know is, if he is switching to DL which I’m assuming he is because he was in an orange jersey on the defensive side of the field for the game, I would not want to be the OL lined up across from him.

Have a feel he will cause some major headaches in the backfield

Yeah, he was right behind Dino in that early interview, then they showed him again when switching between the Anae and White interviews.

Looked like he was approaching 3 bills. Maybe some of that comes off with offseason conditioning now that he's healthy. But certainly looked more DT than RB to me.

Think we’re gonna be surprised with how much PT Mekhi Mason and Malik get this year.

Them and Sparrow will battle for the snaps that would have been GCA’s.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mason, who flashed a few times and was mentioned by Mikel as a guy to look out for. McDonald received some praise from Dino and is likely the 1st LB after our big 3. Not expecting much from Matthew this year.

At work for the second half of the spring game but rewatching it and reading this thread:

I’m so optimistic for this year. I am ready to get hurt again! Thanks tomcat for the great recap
DA61C507-9562-4740-BFEE-CABB294F9BB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mason, who flashed a few times and was mentioned by Mikel as a guy to look out for. McDonald received some praise from Dino and is likely the 1st LB after our big 3. Not expecting much from Matthew this year.
Agree.

The top backup LBs appear to be McDonald, Sparrow and Mason. Then a big gap behind them.

Last year, when Cantin-Arcu was still with the program. Coach White played 4 LBs a lot. Guessing we will see something similar this season. Probably with McDonald but maybe with the overall quality of this unit improving, they will play 5 or 6.

What
Agree.

The top backup LBs appear to be McDonald, Sparrow and Mason. Then a big gap behind them.

Last year, when Cantin-Arcu was still with the program. Coach White played 4 LBs a lot. Guessing we will see something similar this season. Probably with McDonald but maybe with the overall quality of this unit improving, they will play 5 or 6.
What about Austin Roon? Did he get into the game? Is he injured?
Did Mathew’s get time in the game?

What

What about Austin Roon? Did he get into the game? Is he injured?
Did Mathew’s get time in the game?
Matthews yes, Roon no. Roon was dressed on the sidelines, not sure why he didn't play.

Matthews yes, Roon no. Roon was dressed on the sidelines, not sure why he didn't play.
Pretty sure I read that he was banged up earlier in the spring.

Pretty sure I read that he was banged up earlier in the spring.
Might Roon his chance to get on the field this year.

Another thing I thought that was cool during the game was Lamson throwing a TD while Shrader was being interviewed and Allen running for one while Tucker was interviewed. Each of them saying to the respective starter at their position with their play-don't get too comfy up there-We want to to get on the field, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom