My Take | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Going to guess we will be a home Dog vs Perdue. - coming off a 9 win season and returning 6th year QB who was 2nd team all BiG10.

I think we will take a step forward this season. It will be interesting to see the Vegas O/U for wins. I won't be surprised to see the number <6. And yeah, I remember people made $$ hammering the over last season.

We can beat Perdue. they're a bunch of chickens!

freedom5.jpg

Besides, we've owed them a beating since 2004!

1649099387708.png

Syracuse road to 6 wins and a bowl game in 2022

Games where we have the advantage and should win (2 W's)
at Uconn
vs Wagner

Games against peer group with similar talent that could go either way and these are all at home which is great. Need to win at least 3 out of 5)
vs Louisville
vs Virginia
vs NC State (Despite 9-3 record last year i'm putting them here)
vs Florida State
vs Boston College (Peer but i expect to win this one this year especially at home)

Games that will be difficult as we are likely a bit outclassed... and 3 are on the road. (Need at least one big upset out of 5)
vs Purdue (9-4 last year and played against 6 teams in top 30. Stud QB is returning)
at Clemson
vs Notre Dame
at Pitt (Normally a peer but on a high at the moment. 11-3 last year. Lose Pickett but have a top QB transfer in Kedon Slovis from USC and stud receiver Jordan Addison returning)
at Wake Forest (Normally a peer. 11-3 last year and Hartman's back...)

Tough but we can do this!

BC is on the road. And last game of the year, when traditionally, lack of depth has us limping into that game.

I mentioned this the other day, but the returning QBs on each team are what makes this schedule even tougher than just saying Purdue/ND OOC.

BC is on the road. And last game of the year, when traditionally, lack of depth has us limping into that game.

I mentioned this the other day, but the returning QBs on each team are what makes this schedule even tougher than just saying Purdue/ND OOC.
I expect miserable weather that day...our running game should be stronger.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I expect miserable weather that day...our running game should be stronger.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Especially when we have 2 TE built QB's, and another who might be close by the fall. Dungey beat them up and the current guys we have should be able to do the same.

Especially when we have 2 TE built QB's, and another who might be close by the fall. Dungey beat them up and the current guys we have should be able to do the same.

Modern college football. We have no fullbacks so get yourself a quarterback who runs like one to share the duties with a halfback.

I can’t see us getting 6 unless we beat Louisville.

It’s even a tough road then.

This is the toughest schedule in recent memory.
I keep hammering this but there is no way we can hope to stop ND Purdue Ville BC FSU with our current DLine. We will be undersized by 40 or more pounds across the board. Our LBs will be forced to carry the load which is not going to end well as the season progresses. We are paper thin up front.

I keep hammering this but there is no way we can hope to stop ND Purdue Ville BC FSU with our current DLine. We will be undersized by 40 or more pounds across the board. Our LBs will be forced to carry the load which is not going to end well as the season progresses. We are paper thin up front.

I'm with you here. Dline is a major area of concern. Smaller bodies can only take so much pounding from bigger/stronger players over time before they wear down. I think we have a couple guys who are going to be players in Lockett & Geer. I like Okechukwu too, but size & depth is a major area of concern. Aside from the Dline, I feel extremely optimistic about this team. Hopefully a portal addition or two will alleviate my concern.

Jurkovich is back for BC (he was hurt last year), along with speedy WR Flowers, board favorite, Christian Mahogany and an ND-transfer TE (Tackas). That'll be a tough last (road) game for sure.

Jurkovich is back for BC (he was hurt last year), along with speedy WR Flowers, board favorite, Christian Mahogany and an ND-transfer TE (Tackas). That'll be a tough last (road) game for sure.
Last two years, we've heard about them being a tough out. Our 2 win season with Jurk, they squeaked it out, barely. Last year without Jurk, they were not great.

BC under Hafley = continually overrated

Unproven, not paper thin.

And there's not really a ton we as fans can do about our concerns about the capabilities of an unproven D-Line, especially since the staff isn't going to go out and get 10 D-Line transfers in over the summer.

Not sure how healthy Jurkovich's wrist was when he returned last year but his statistics from his return at the end of 2021 surely don't point to anything special. Stats were decent in 2020 though. Stats per ESPN. I'm guessing he wasn't 100% though.

1649450957148.png

1649450951308.png

Shrader is back for SU (he was allegedly hurt last year), along with Speedy and strong RB Sean Tucker, Top LB Mikel Jones and some awesome new coaches.

Unproven, not paper thin.

And there's not really a ton we as fans can do about our concerns about the capabilities of an unproven D-Line, especially since the staff isn't going to go out and get 10 D-Line transfers in over the summer.
Hey, don’t you know if we complain enough the staff will respond and increase their efforts with transfers.

Last edited:
Syracuse road to 6 wins and a bowl game in 2022

Games where we have the advantage and should win (2 W's)
at Uconn
vs Wagner

Games against peer group with similar talent that could go either way and 4 are home games which is great. Need to win at least 3 out of 5)
vs Louisville
vs Virginia
vs NC State (Despite 9-3 record last year i'm putting them here)
vs Florida State
at Boston College (Peer but i expect to win this one this year especially at home)

Games that will be difficult as we are likely a bit outclassed... and 3 are on the road. (Need at least one big upset out of 5)
vs Purdue (9-4 last year and played against 6 teams in top 30. Stud QB is returning)
at Clemson
vs Notre Dame
at Pitt (Normally a peer but on a high at the moment. 11-3 last year. Lose Pickett but have a top QB transfer in Kedon Slovis from USC and stud receiver Jordan Addison returning)
at Wake Forest (Normally a peer. 11-3 last year and Hartman's back...)

Tough but we can do this!

Edit: corrected BC from home to away game.
I would flip Purdue and NC ST.

Finally got around to watching the Spring "game" and not sure I feel much better about the team. Although you cannot take much away from the Spring game, but I was hoping to see more.

The biggest positive for me was the patterns our WRs ran. Our WRs are not very good but IMO our system last year made a poor unit even worse. I think our passing game will be a lot better just because of this.

That being said I think our WRs look very raw. They still seem bottom of the ACC to me. I was hoping someone would stand out in this game.

For the QBs I don't think any of them look like potential starters. IMO Lamson didn't show much of an arm, clearly 3rd best of those who played. He seemed to have good touch and was accurate, which is a very good thing. Hard to fully evaluate him going up against our pretty bad 2nd team D. It is easy to be comfortable under those circumstances. It would have been nice to see him vs #1s. It was limited PT and in a controlled scrimmage, but based just on this I think he is a #1.5 QB. Not quite good enough to be a #1 but better than a #2.

Villari looks the part physically and showed a strong arm. But he also made a few really bad decisions, and wasn't the most accurate. In fairness he had a #2.5 team OL going against the #1 D. Surprised he didn't get more PT. If he could grow into the position, he has the tools to be a good QB. But as we saw with our last starting QB, that may never happen. Being that he is an academic Jr, I am not getting my hopes up

Morgan in the first half looked overwhelmed, but again make shift 2nd/3rd team OL vs #1 D. He was kinda like his last few games in 2020. The 2nd half he looked much better. I think he showed the 2nd best arm of the QBs who played. If we can get the game to slow down for him, I think he can be the best of the 3 QBs. But again an academic Jr, so it might never click.

MacPhail was really bad. Not sure why he got so many reps.

I don't think Shrader will be challenged by any of these 4 guys. If Sellers is the real deal I think he is QB #2 in 2023.

Edit
I wanted top add that IMO our Safeties were really bad last year. I think it is the biggest area for worry on D. Was disappointed that we rolled out the same starters. There is a lot of time for that to change, so I wouldn't get too upset yet.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching the Spring "game" and not sure I feel much better about the team. Although you cannot take much away from the Spring game, but I was hoping to see more.

The biggest positive for me was the patterns our WRs ran. Our WRs are not very good but IMO our system last year made a poor unit even worse. I think our passing game will be a lot better just because of this.

That being said I think our WRs look very raw. They still seem bottom of the ACC to me. I was hoping someone would stand out in this game.

For the QBs I don't think any of them look like potential starters. IMO Lamson didn't show much of an arm, clearly 3rd best of those who played. He seemed to have good touch and was accurate, which is a very good thing. Hard to fully evaluate him going up against our pretty bad 2nd team D. It is easy to be comfortable under those circumstances. It would have been nice to see him vs #1s. It was limited PT and in a controlled scrimmage, but based just on this I think he is a #1.5 QB. Not quite good enough to be a #1 but better than a #2.

Villari looks the part physically and showed a strong arm. But he also made a few really bad decisions, and wasn't the most accurate. In fairness he had a #2.5 team OL going against the #1 D. Surprised he didn't get more PT. If he could grow into the position, he has the tools to be a good QB. But as we saw with our last starting QB, that may never happen. Being that he is an academic Jr, I am not getting my hopes up

Morgan in the first half looked overwhelmed, but again make shift 2nd/3rd team OL vs #1 D. He was kinda like his last few games in 2020. The 2nd half he looked much better. I think he showed the 2nd best arm of the QBs who played. If we can get the game to slow down for him, I think he can be the best of the 3 QBs. But again an academic Jr, so it might never click.

MacPhail was really bad. Not sure why he got so many reps.

I don't think Shrader will be challenged by any of these 4 guys. If Sellers is the real deal I think he is QB #2 in 2023.
I would bet good money that Lamson is going up against the 1's today.

I would bet good money that Lamson is going up against the 1's today.

For sure.
You know Dino, Anae, Beck et al will wanna see him vs legit D comp like that.

While it’s unlikely he can overtake Shrader, here’s hoping he keeps the pressure on, which will only serve to make them both better.

It’s also nice to know we’re not totally screwed if QB1 goes down for any reason.

Hard to fully evaluate him going up against our pretty bad 2nd team D. It is easy to be comfortable under those circumstances. It would have been nice to see him vs #1s.
He was going against the 1's all last year as scout team QB. We just cant see it for oursleves.

He was going against the 1's all last year as scout team QB. We just cant see it for oursleves.
Any word on who looked good? Did Garrett play? How about Sean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom