My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Hosting a friend from out of town and about to leave for a golf tournament but some quick thoughts on Saturday:

Another terrific tailgate. Food was great, as was the company. Good to see many old friends again. Natalie Smith was a great guest. Engaging, personable and beautiful too. Already has a great job lined up in NYC when she graduates in May. If I were her parent, I would be so proud of her. Great to see SU putting out talented grads like her.

SUMB was solid but needs more tubas. Please send reinforcements soon!

WMU brought about 50 fans. I think their fa base knew what was coming and stayed home.

Sound from the dome sound system is worse than ever. You can’t even understand the refs explaining calls any longer. And in this game, the refs were trying to explain calls with disturbing regularity. Kim Infanti still sounds like a bad sound effect of a screeching dinosaur from a cartoon from the 1960s.

Small crowd. I think there were less people in the building than against Colgate. Student attendance was no down significantly. Crows was still engaged and loud though.

WMU was totally outmatched. We are going to be hard to defend. Interesting that Colgate and WMU opted to pack the box and defend us mostly with press coverage. Encouraging that we have made teams pay dearly for doing this. With OG out early, we often had Brown, Hatcher and Jones out there. A lot of speed and size. Hard to press us right now. Need big, physical DBs with serious speed too.

Gill played some against Colgate and played a lot against WMU. Impressive that he has cracked into the WR rotation so early in his career. Looks like he might get significantly more PT while OG recovers.

Thought Wohlabaugh has been playing well. What a shame that he got hurt while playing some of the best football of his career.

The defense was awesome. Completely dominated WMU. Was wondering if they were going to even get a completion in the first half for a while. The run defense, ,our biggest weakness last season, looks terrific so far. Encouraging.

Also glad to see so many players participating on defense. Gould is getting more PT. Greenwood played a lot, I think in place of Clark. Farmer was a standout on specials and also played a lot on the field. Pretty clear he is going to make a significant impact this year. Simmons looks vastly improved. Clark might be our best athlete on defense and Barron has developed into Mr Reliable at rover.

The Wi-Fi in the dome was crappy again. Not good Relief coming soon, I hope.

Good win. Sad about OG and Wohlly getting hurt. Hope both can get back soon. David’s injury looked really serious.

I was at Iowa-Iowa State on Saturday. Iowa State had 35 tubas. Maybe tubas can't afford private school tuition (and the tuba players I've known probably don't have the grades to qualify for scholarships!)

Hosting a friend from out of town and about to leave for a golf tournament but some quick thoughts on Saturday:

Another terrific tailgate. Food was great, as was the company. Good to see many old friends again. Natalie Smith was a great guest. Engaging, personable and beautiful too. Already has a great job lined up in NYC when she graduates in May. If I were her parent, I would be so proud of her. Great to see SU putting out talented grads like her.

SUMB was solid but needs more tubas. Please send reinforcements soon!

WMU brought about 50 fans. I think their fa base knew what was coming and stayed home.

Sound from the dome sound system is worse than ever. You can’t even understand the refs explaining calls any longer. And in this game, the refs were trying to explain calls with disturbing regularity. Kim Infanti still sounds like a bad sound effect of a screeching dinosaur from a cartoon from the 1960s.

Small crowd. I think there were less people in the building than against Colgate. Student attendance was no down significantly. Crows was still engaged and loud though.

WMU was totally outmatched. We are going to be hard to defend. Interesting that Colgate and WMU opted to pack the box and defend us mostly with press coverage. Encouraging that we have made teams pay dearly for doing this. With OG out early, we often had Brown, Hatcher and Jones out there. A lot of speed and size. Hard to press us right now. Need big, physical DBs with serious speed too.

Gill played some against Colgate and played a lot against WMU. Impressive that he has cracked into the WR rotation so early in his career. Looks like he might get significantly more PT while OG recovers.

Thought Wohlabaugh has been playing well. What a shame that he got hurt while playing some of the best football of his career.

The defense was awesome. Completely dominated WMU. Was wondering if they were going to even get a completion in the first half for a while. The run defense, ,our biggest weakness last season, looks terrific so far. Encouraging.

Also glad to see so many players participating on defense. Gould is getting more PT. Greenwood played a lot, I think in place of Clark. Farmer was a standout on specials and also played a lot on the field. Pretty clear he is going to make a significant impact this year. Simmons looks vastly improved. Clark might be our best athlete on defense and Barron has developed into Mr Reliable at rover.

The Wi-Fi in the dome was crappy again. Not good Relief coming soon, I hope.

Good win. Sad about OG and Wohlly getting hurt. Hope both can get back soon. David’s injury looked really serious.
Tomcat, I was worried about you when I didn't see your report. Was wondering if your car broke down on the way home and you had to walk to Liverpool and were too lame to write your review.

The ETA on the wifi fix is this year at some point, right?

Anything on the sound issues?

The only thing you can hear is the PA guy - Kim Infanti and that whole "schtick" should be put in mothballs permanently. Those cut ins add nothing to the game experience.
Haven't been to a game yet in the new dome (hopefully this year), but watching the game at home, when you can hear the PA guy in the background of the TV audio, it sounds clear. You can clearly hear when he's announcing the down and yardage and such. Must be something in the way they pipe other audio through the system?

the Dome could make sound better with 1 super quick adjustment... turn the volume DOWN. its like 10 notches too loud and makes a bad sound 10x worse.
Please write to Pete Salas and tell him. I wasn’t at the game. I wrote him last year and he was very responsive. Except the sound is still not good.

It is embarrassing that they still haven’t figured it out.
You think that's embarrassing, you should see what they paid for the one we got. Anything over a nickel is a complete rip off.

WiFi and 5G should be fixed by late October for Verizon customers.

Then AT&T, then T-Mobile.

That's not terrible.

Hope they can fix the sound.

our best player OG went down early and we didn't miss a beat.
he came back out pretty quick with the boot so i'm hoping it ain't too serious. still good to know the other WR's can PLAY
You might be right. If it was a tear or break I doubt they would have let him walk to the locker room. He was hurting, but as someone who has severely sprained ankles long ago, I couldn’t put any weight on the bad foot. Hop all the way, not walk.

Last edited:
To my ears the sound just has way too much treble. It is piercing in a very unpleasant way. They played some clips with a commentator talking over recorded live crowd noise and all you could here was this painful high pitched wash of a crowd cheering and not a single word of what was actually said. Music sounds like it is missing a lot of its bass. But the volume is cranked so it is loud on the ears but the sound still does not fill up the dome properly.

IMO they should be a sounding loud on the borderline of too loud. That is how it should be in a stadium. The old ones were crazy loud but the sound was a lot warmer so it was intense but not overly irritating.

You might be right. If it was a tear or break I doubt they would have let him walk to the locker room. He was hurting, but as someone who has severely sprained ankles long ago, I could put any weight on the bad foot. Hop all the way, not walk.
I thought it was also a good sign that he came back out in his pads and not sweats too.

If OG is going to be out for a few games, and some of the other WRs are coming along, as my chance the coaches could try Alford at the hybrid TE position that OG was in?

Regarding the sound system, it’s my opinion that it has been “designed” to operate with a relatively full stadium where a lot of the sound is absorbed by the fans. With so few seats filled, the sound just reverberates against every aluminum surface. Just my guess.

let's go old school

R.faa827716e200a1ec36714412b1fbfba.jpeg

speaker sets under the seats. and mosquito coils.

Regarding the sound system, it’s my opinion that it has been “designed” to operate with a relatively full stadium where a lot of the sound is absorbed by the fans. With so few seats filled, the sound just reverberates against every aluminum surface. Just my guess.
It was still bad during the sellouts last year. Better but still bad.

They can’t adjust it? There is no volume control? It’s not like at 3:30 Saturday they were surprised by the crowd size. They had plenty of time.

I was at Iowa-Iowa State on Saturday. Iowa State had 35 tubas. Maybe tubas can't afford private school tuition (and the tuba players I've known probably don't have the grades to qualify for scholarships!)
sousaphones, not tubas

The sound system and the lack of internet access are really frustrating.

Looking forward to October.

The games have been fun - the Orange plays fast and hard.

Stay healthy!

Then perhaps next season when the aluminum benches are replaced by plastic seats, there will be less reverb. Plus, aluminum seems to give a resonance besides the reflection, possibly magnifying the problem.

Then perhaps next season when the aluminum benches are replaced by plastic seats, there will be less reverb. Plus, aluminum seems to give a resonance besides the reflection, possibly magnifying the problem.
When it gets colder and we all start wearing puffy coats, the sound will be better. Or bring a fat friend. They absorb more sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom