My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Pretty clearly not targeting. No hit to the helmet, it's straight into Shrader's shoulder pad. Defender has not "launched" himself at the offensive player, and clearly has 1 foot on the ground at the time he delivered the hit.

• Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.

• Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
???? What about shoulder area. That was not targeting. Just a wicked hit on a guy who didn't see it coming.

???? What about shoulder area. That was not targeting. Just a wicked hit on a guy who didn't see it coming.

Attachments

• 0C95947F-2049-44FE-B8C9-8CAE7854B569.jpeg
    0C95947F-2049-44FE-B8C9-8CAE7854B569.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
It doesn't matter where the hit takes place. Notre Dame defender kicked out last night for a hit to the Duke QB's hip. Why? Led with the helmet. It's meant to protect the defender too.

The thing I don't get - the call on the field was targeting, right?

I just don't see how you can review that hit, according to how the rule is written, and say there's indisputable evidence to overturn it.

This isn’t a referendum on the concept of targeting. It’s a rule. Helmet to helmet absolutely qualifies if the crown of the helmet was involved which it was. It was called on the field as targeting. Based on the rule in no way, shape or form should that have been overturned based on the photographic and video evidence. On top of us generally laying a burnt turd yesterday the refs were a collective pile of burnt turds.

This isn’t a referendum on the concept of targeting. It’s a rule. Helmet to helmet absolutely qualifies if the crown of the helmet was involved which it was. It was called on the field as targeting. Based on the rule in no way, shape or form should that have been overturned based on the photographic and video evidence. On top of us generally laying a burnt turd yesterday the refs were a collective pile of burnt turds.
This ^^^

Another massive well executed tailgate. Food was good. The pulled pork was the best I have ever had and I have eaten A LOT of pulled pork. Props to all involved.

Met a bunch of the guys who came from Nova Scotia. Good guys. Most were retieed police officers. They love American football and have gone to something like 20 college venues. Would be interested in their reactions to the dome after attending a game there.

Missed the English visitor(s). Hope they made it and had fun.

Good to see old and new friends. I suspect we had near 300 people for this one. Crazy.

It was a perfect fall day. Not a cloud in the sky. Temperature around 70.

Headed up around 11:10 am. The concourses were already pretty crowded but not bad. I bet it was bad around 11:45 or so,

The sound is still messed up. The Wi-Fi and 5G is still messed up. The player intro videos are still messed up. There was confusion over what the game day production team was doing after a couple of timeouts in the Army game and that continued today. People are not on the same page. For some reason, they are really pushing the light show feature of the Cuse app during timeouts.. But with the horrendous WifI and 5G, there is no chance this can work. It really seems like someone really clueless s making important decisions.

I will say that I love the changes to the Cuse app regarding how it works with tickets for season ticket holders. It allows you to find and load your tickets to your electronic wallet all at once in an easy to use, effIcient manner. Great job on that. I do that before I go to the dome, Once I get in, the app is useless, as it my phone.

9 tubas. Not good.

Great turnout by the students. Awesome job. Yes, several thousand were late and yes, those kids almost all left before the second half started. But Otto’s Army and the students come out in force for this game.

Let’s talk about the game.

First off, Clemson played well. They had a good game plan for attaching our defense and executed it flawlessly. Their defense is top notch and some mental lapses were quickly addressed by great athletic ability. Props to them. Klubnick played as well as he is capable. The biggest difference in the game was when he got some pressure and got flushed from the pocket he consistently made a play to keep the drive alive. Shrader didn’t.

They had some problems getting WRs open at times, but he escaped the pocket and either found a WR open and ran for a first down a number of times. We tried to press them in the first half and they were able to make us pay. Wilson had a horrific half and was picked on relentlessly. Even Johnson got burned a number of times. When he had good coverage, he still made early contact. I think all or almost all the PI calls were legit. Really poor job by our CBs.

I assume Wilson did not get hurt but got benched. Would think DeLaine would replace him and I saw him on specials but Bellamy replaced him. And frankly played far better than Wilson had been doing. Suspect Bellamy is the starter from this point forward.

Barron stopped playing sometime early in the second half and did not return. I assume he is hurt and if so, this is a significant loss for us. Underrated player who is very good against the run and the pass. And he was having a big game too. Hope he is back soon. I think Gould replaced him most of the time, though Farmer was also out there and probably filled in for a couple of drives too.

It was nice to play Clemson and not see them run all over us in the fourth quarter. We played a bunch of DL and LBs to keep people fresh. Thought Ingraham in particular looked good against the rush. He is a minimal. Jobity hasn’t been playing much but he made some nice plays today. Lockett was good as always.

Our DEs were kind of quiet and I think got dominated by the Clemson OL. Not a great pass rush and we lost outside contain a lot too. Not good.

Wax was excellent except for the mindless penalty (and the dropped interception) I expect a veteran to keep his mind better. A number of foolish penalties, as always. This is the thing I will remember most from the Dino Era. He apparently is never going to get it fixed.

Props to Stonehouse for a fine day punting.

Another game another dropped TD reception. This time I think it was Dono Brown on the throw from Vallari.

Dan had his coming out game and let’s hope he becomes a big part of the offense from this point forward. He has athletic ability at TE that we have not had in a long time.

We switched to mostly zone on defense in the second half and had more success with that. Rocky screwed up the game plan and thought his CBs were better than they were. It happens.

What happened on offense? From my seat, it seemed like Clemson had a lot of success with a variety of blitzes.. They got some sacks off these and blew up some plays blitzing. Cruz struggled pass blocking, ,as did some other guys. Fairly early in the first half, Bradford was replaced by Ellis and I think that was it for Bradford. Ellis appeared to play well, especially run blocking. That was good to see. I think More was dressed and appeared ready to play and he might have at garbage time but I think Petry was the RT almost all game. He struggled too.

That said, in the first half, we had WRs open a number of times, mostly for long gains, but Shrader could not make the pass to the open WR. He found him fine but just made bad passes too often. In the second half, it looked like our WRs had problems getting open (maybe facing more zone) and Shrader took a bunch of sacks that looked to be coverage based. Our WRs are big but they aren’t tough and the Clemson DBs physically dominated them. We need to get tougher here. And Garrett needs to throw it better too,

Thought LeQuint played well. Ran hard, often without much of a hole. Showed his skill as a receiver again. That wheel route to the corner of the end zone was a thing of beauty (great throw by GS too).

Bottom line is that Clemson remains bigger, stronger and faster than we are. We have to play really well to be competitive and we did not do that today. It was good to see our depth improve and when we had to go to second team players, there wasn’t much impact on the quality of play. So there was some progress on that front.

The bad news is that UNC is better offensively than Clemson. By quite a bit. The good news is that their defense is vastly worse. We should be able to move the ball and score some points on the Tar Heels. If we can find a way to stop them some, we just might have a chance,
IMO, we are getting closer. We are not a top 15 team at this time. We do make mistakes and penalties at key times in some games and just like any team that does that, it hurts us. I like this team and I see 9-3 or 8-4 as very possible. SU is no longer a pushover/doormat. That is a vast improvement, now we need to tighten things up and add a little more depth to get to the next level. I think we are better than average, and on the cusp of being very good.

IMO, we are getting closer. We are not a top 15 team at this time. We do make mistakes and penalties at key times in some games and just like any team that does that, it hurts us. I like this team and I see 9-3 or 8-4 as very possible. SU is no longer a pushover/doormat. That is a vast improvement, now we need to tighten things up and add a little more depth to get to the next level. I think we are better than average, and on the cusp of being very good.
Next step is upgrading the OL, single biggest issue right now.

Here is the picture again. His helmet is clearly hitting the shoulder pad, not the QB's helmet, and like I said before, he didn't "launch" himself into the hit. One foot is still on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpg
    IMG_5484.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 70
Here is the picture again. His helmet is clearly hitting the shoulder pad, not the QB's helmet, and like I said before, he didn't "launch" himself into the hit. One foot is still on the ground.
The helmet is hitting Shrader’s chin also.

Although launching isn’t required to declare targeting it is pretty clear to most people the tackler did leave his feet. See second picture.

If there was no contact to Shrader’s helmet or face mask, please explain his his helmet came loose as seen in the third picture.

Attachments

• 0B287B9B-EF76-44E5-B56C-2B0A4CDF2DB7.jpeg
    0B287B9B-EF76-44E5-B56C-2B0A4CDF2DB7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • AFB1713C-1432-4658-BB95-21DB11125B3E.jpeg
    AFB1713C-1432-4658-BB95-21DB11125B3E.jpeg
    993.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 9F9BC706-CCE6-4F74-815E-13F47A34FDB3.jpeg
    9F9BC706-CCE6-4F74-815E-13F47A34FDB3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
What you should be looking at is where the tacklers eyes are looking: straight at the ground. That is Numero uno. Very dangerous for the defender, that's how you break your neck. #1 teaching rule in tackling forever. 100 percent targeting and very embarrassing for those refs. No defense at all on this one sorry.

What you should be looking at is where the tacklers eyes are looking: straight at the ground. That is Numero uno. Very dangerous for the defender, that's how you break your neck. #1 teaching rule in tackling forever. 100 percent targeting and very embarrassing for those refs. No defense at all on this one sorry.
In the rules read the last bullet point, lowering head before initiating contact. Very clear and unbelievable it was overturned.

The game isn’t played in still frames. happened before that frame.
Excellent point. I was trying to figure out a way to say that same thing last night, but it wasn't coming to me.

Excellent point. I was trying to figure out a way to say that same thing last night, but it wasn't coming to me.
The magic helmet. The replay ref is obviously hiding the real target shot.

Not that it matters at this point, because it’s just useless complaining about officiating. But I finally watched the replay. Slowed it down. Went frame by frame. And in my biased, unofficial, ignorant view, it was targeting. Top of helmet hits chin and shoulder at the same time. GS’s head twists from the hit, doesn’t just bounce forward. The player lead with his helmet. Im
Not sure what the refs looked at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom