My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

I thought this was our best special teams effort in a long, long time.

Can you elaborate on why the fade "is not a good play period that close to the goal line?

It was definitely not a good throw but I didn't have a problem with the play call. 1 on 1 with our best/playmaking WR. With 5 minutes left in the half, I didn't mind taking a stab at the endzone and resorting to a FG if we failed. It would've put us up 10 and even if Pitt scored to end the half, we would still be ahead with the ball to start the 2nd.
It just wasn't executed. 3rd and 4 on the Pitt 9 is "too close to the goal line?" Again, the throw wasn't great (i.e. high enough) but teams at all levels throw fades or back shoulders in the tight red zone all the time. Maybe it's a better play call if we had a taller WR but I don't think a fade in that situation is a bad idea.

We didn't do much on offense after our 1st possession. Just enough output to flip the field. I was terrified all 2nd half but so happy to pull that one out. That game ending drive was a little vindication for the players and coaching staff

Fade calls to 5'10 receivers by a QB that has hit that pass about once in his career says bad call and not putting players in a situation to be successful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

not sure why people think our wide receivers are small. Clark is about 6 feet but skinney. Sales is is a 6 footer. Lemon and West are 6-2, Flemming 6-3. No Max Maisels there.

Not really.

I'm okay w/ that call if it's to a big receiver-throw it up to Broyld, Fleming, even West.

Have to disagree on one thing Tom. I thought there was far more than 27k in the stands. Looked real bad at kickoff but it filled in real nice. They sold 40k and 13k no shows would be an awful lot. I'm guessing it was closer to 35k in the seats. Very late arriving though. Not good to have construction on both highways leading in.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208183_10151447078804008_2052113727_n.jpg?dl=1

Sutomcat is a good poster and does a good job with the recaps but he has always been off in the math dept. he's a serial attendance lowballer. That is not 27k. The crowd was good last night and our closest crowd to the actual number. Look at that picture and tell me that's not 80% capacity. If its not it's pretty close. Certainly doesn't look half full to me. Rahme was right. Nice crowd last night (size and noise)

Great job as always tom.

Bad: Receivers need to get more separation ...RU and UConn are going to press/blitz and the receivers are going to have to make plays. Punter needs to kick inbounds. Nassib has to step up and take advantage of his strong arm/learn pocket presence because he can not throw a fad to save his life. DB's/Lbs need to be close enough to a receiver and deflect/catch a ball...this is getting annoying. No wide out TE in a 3 or 4 man set... no separation what so ever. 3 personal fouls. RB's dancing too much at times...see the hole hit it. When you catch the ball 1 or 2 yards from the first down marker on a 3rd down...punch forward hard and get that needed first down. Could the fans get there any later? Shark getting hurt, I hope he's ok.

Good: DL played like they wanted to take over the game and did. No penalties other than the personal fouls. Special team coverage is outstanding. Decent size crowd . Good tackling. Scoring on D, awesome job. AAM and oline played like they really wanted this on that td and on that last drive and not letting Pitt get the ball again...fantastic. The first offensive series was a hot knife through butter. The hustle on D. 2 kids who have not played a down step up on the last series and make an impact...that ain't easy to do. 4 sacks by Sharpe that was sweet. Reddish and the call to blitz both executed well. Beating Pitt...nice job gentlemen.

I thought our tackling was significantly better ... if we tackled Friday night like we did the early part of the season we lose that game ... period.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....the dome? Seriously?

The Dome announces tickets sold regardless of how many came through the turnstiles.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208183_10151447078804008_2052113727_n.jpg?dl=1

Sutomcat is a good poster and does a good job with the recaps but he has always been off in the math dept. he's a serial attendance lowballer. That is not 27k. The crowd was good last night and our closest crowd to the actual number. Look at that picture and tell me that's not 80% capacity. If its not it's pretty close. Certainly doesn't look half full to me. Rahme was right. Nice crowd last night (size and noise)

Cool panoramic pic. Post game I said 37k. Said 35k after hearing others low number guesses. Now after seeing that pic, I am sure it was 37k and maybe a little more depending on that lower level.

Dome sounded pretty loud on TV, people that were there what did you think?

Was pleasantly surprised by our defense, which has been improved against the run this season, but really stepped up its efforts last night against a team that is capable of running the ball well. Graham might be the best back we play all season. Dominated the inside of the line, props to Bromley, Crume, Jones and Goggins. Many running plays were met at the LOS and Pitt was often lucky to get 0 yards on carries. When they tried to run outside, they had a little more success but our improved team speed allowed us to get to the corner and take that away. Big change from past seasons, no question the speed and athletic ability on the defensive unit is the best we have had in the Marrone era.
Thanks for another nice recap. I especially thought the defense played well around the Line of Scrimmage. Sunseri, Graham, & Street made a lot of big plays but the defense responded with big plays of their own. As well as Pitt's offense played at times, they still only scored 13 points. Sharpe's sacks were key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom