My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Nice turnout at the tailgate. Good to see many old and new faces. Don't have time to list them but great talking to so many SU fans excited about the program. Props to CuseRegular and JeremyCuse for cooking up some wonderful vittles. SUBarney as well. I am still full.

Bad crowd, about 27K actually in the seats, but the ones that came made a lot of noise and were a factor in the game. Nice job people. If it wasn't Parents Weekend, it would have been really sad.

Band had 11 tubas, did a nice tribute to Led Zeppelin at halftime featuring extended guitar solos by some older looking dude with a blue guitar, Orange Girl was solid, the kids marched well, good arrangement of difficult material, nice show.

I expected a close game but thought it was going to be high scoring...30-28, something like that. Was pleasantly surprised by our defense, which has been improved against the run this season, but really stepped up its efforts last night against a team that is capable of running the ball well. Graham might be the best back we play all season. Dominated the inside of the line, props to Bromley, Crume, Jones and Goggins. Many running plays were met at the LOS and Pitt was often lucky to get 0 yards on carries. When they tried to run outside, they had a little more success but our improved team speed allowed us to get to the corner and take that away. Big change from past seasons, no question the speed and athletic ability on the defensive unit is the best we have had in the Marrone era.

SU played a mix of man and zone coverage on defense. We got burned blitzing a few times through the game, once they ran in the hole Cam left coming in from the outside, once they threw it long to Shanahan (3rd quarter) when we sent almost everyone, etc. It is hard to blitz with a veteran QB. I understand why we often went with 3 DL in 3rd and long situations from that perspective, but man, we did a good job rushing with 4 DL and got nothing going with 3. Props to Brandon Sharpe, who had a monster game at DE, both rushing the QB and blowing up running plays. A lot of times pass rushers do a good job getting sacks at the expense of protecting against the run but Sharpe did a great all around job at DE. We really needed to put some pressure on Sunseri and his role here was one of the keys to the game.

Was critical of the LBs in the last game or two, Thought they played a lot better last night. Part of the reason was the dominance of the Syracuse DL over the Pitt OL, but they stuck their noses in, used their speed well and made some plays in the open field.

Thought Lyn had a really good game again. Excellent coverage, they rarely threw his way, and he made some great plays against the run. One in particular when Graham kept breaking outside to try and get a seam and Lyn just ate him up. He is an emerging star. Anderson was again picked on. He plays very conservatively, gives WRs far too much room. To be fair to him, Sunseri often had too much time to throw, especially when SU was in the Okie with 3 DL, and Pitt has a couple of excellent WRs. Street will play on Sundays. That being said, I look forward to the day when we can play Reddish and Lyn together. Hope it happens next week.

Thought Shamarko was having a fine game until he got hurt. From the stands, we assume he was knocked out. Hope if it was a concussion, it was his first and he will be able to return to the field soon. He is easily our best tackler, especially in the open field. .

Wilkes had a couple of missed assignments (I think he had Shanahan on the all out blitz play where he got 20 yards behind the secondary and only ended up with a 40 yard gain because Sunseri threw the ball so poorly. Sunseri by the way has one of the weakest arms I have seen at the BCS level. But he was very accurate and threaded the needle a number of times when Pitt was in 3rd and long situations.

On offense, I think Pitt defended us borrowing heavily from Minnesota. They played zone all game long, overloaded deep and basically dared us to run or throw underneath. We took them up on the dare at times (probably did not run the ball as much as we should have again) and were usually successful. This was one of those games were the straightforward north-south approach to running was the best one so Smith, who again played well, had a lot more success than the jitterbugging style of Gulley.

Pitt rarely blitzed, relying on their 4 man front to apply pressure to Nassib. Thought our OL largely did a good job pass blocking. Aaron Donald, Pitt's AA DT, was a big factor all game long, especially on running plays but he did not dominate and I thought we did a good job with him overall. This was the coming out game for Rob Trudo, who got his first start at RG and played there the whole game (at least as far as I could tell). That gave us 3 starters on the OL from PA. Assume the staff gave Trudo the start knowing he would be playing against a lot of people from PA he knows well. Anyway, I suspect that young Rob will be starting the rest of his career. He has a lot of talent and is just going to get better over time. Thought Hickey was excellent again, did not miss a beat moving to the right side of the line. Thought Pugh did a fine job, showed no signs of rust or weakness. Our OL is coming together right now, there is potential for it to be darned good as the season progresses.

On offense, we tried to spread Pitt out and pass the ball. Used a ton of 4 WR sets and even used a 5 WR set a few times, which meant the TEs had a very reduced role. Don't think we even completed a pass to a TE, which is shocking given how much we have been relying on passing to this position in the Marrone era. We have gone from 2 TE sets most of the time to 0 TE sets most of the time (though I think last night might have been an aberration based on how mobile Pitt's LBs are compared to our slow footed TEs).

No man coverage for Pitt but their zone coverage gets very aggressive. They have one outstanding CB and a young CB who is going to be very good. Ate up Clark, tied up Sales a lot and even Lemon struggled to get open a lot. I know people are going to say Nassib was gutless, panicked in the pocket, etc. but a lot of the plays where he threw it away, was flushed out of the pocket or was sacked were because of good coverage by Pitt. Even West, who was often covered by Pitt's 4th CB, struggled to get open a lot. We need more speed and size at WR against good coverage teams and look for this to be a problem in the next 3 weeks as we play RU, UConn and USF, all of whom have fine CBs.

Still, I think when teams are playing 5 or 6 DBs against us, we have to find ways of running the ball and making them play for going so undersized. You have to take what the defense gives you and the defense is giving us the run right now. Our defense has had terrible times defending the run against spread offenses when we go small and fast. Again, a big part of the problem is that we don't have a really fast RB to take advantage of the open space in these situations. But our personnel is good and is good enough to do damage. Especially with the OL looking improved, with a greatly shored up right side.

Thought Nassib was having a good game until the point he threw the ill fated fade pass in the endzone that was picked off. You have to throw it to the outside and you have to throw it to the back of the endzone. Bad pass but like Bees says, bad idea to call that play. It is not a strength of Nassib's and is not a good play period that close to the goal line. You need more time for the WR to break free of the CB.

AAM was a big success in short yardage, which has plagued us all season. Happy for him. Not happy we benched Broyld all game long, presumably because of his fumble against UM. He is a great played in open space and there was a lot of open space out there against that Pitt defense. Damn, I think it was a big mistake to sit him. Play him instead of Clark in the slot. You will get a lot better results, I guarantee it.

Thought special teams were okay. Our coverage teams have made major strides in recent weeks. Our return teams are still pretty awful and our punter is not good, but I suspect part of the reason why is an insistence on Marrone's part to have the punter kick the ball to the sides of the field (never down the middle of the field). I dream of the day when we get a punt return for 10 yards. It will be glorious when it happens.

Good to see improved tackling. Good to see much improved discipline and greatly reduced mistakes. Wish it happened a little earlier in the season. One thing you can say about Marrone, give him some time and he does good things. I think we are 5-1 when we have more than a week to prepare for a team now (counting the bowl game).

The UConn-RU game today should be of great interest to SU fans. We got to see our next 2 opponents playing head to head. I expect a low scoring, violent hitting game with bodies flying everywhere. If you like punts, it is a must see.

Nice turnout at the tailgate. Good to see many old and new faces. Don't have time to list them but great talking to so many SU fans excited about the program. Props to CuseRegular and JeremyCuse for cooking up some wonderful vittles. SUBarney as well. I am still full.

This was a post of "biblical proportions." ;)

Kudos to you as well on the grill. Definitely a feast for the ages. If you didn't leave that tailgate stuffed, you weren't trying. Good to see Dan Conley make it down to the Fine Lot as well!!

Nice post.
2 thoughts:

- I have come to dispise the 3 man rush. If you give any competent QB all day to throw, he'll find an open receiver somewhere. I don't like trading off being able to hurry the QB for an extra DB in coverage. I'd love to see some stats on completion % vs 3 and 4-man fronts.

- Wasn't Trudo the OL who, after our RB (Smith?) was stopped for a short gain, pushed the pile forward for 6 yds? As the announcers commented, it is technically illegal but never called. There's a huge difference between 2nd and 8/9 and 2nd and 4.

Nice post.
2 thoughts:

- I have come to dispise the 3 man rush. If you give any competent QB all day to throw, he'll find an open receiver somewhere. I don't like trading off being able to hurry the QB for an extra DB in coverage. I'd love to see some stats on completion % vs 3 and 4-man fronts.

- Wasn't Trudo the OL who, after our RB (Smith?) was stopped for a short gain, pushed the pile forward for 6 yds? As the announcers commented, it is technically illegal but never called. There's a huge difference between 2nd and 8/9 and 2nd and 4.

3 man rush can work against a younger QB where the coverages give them issues. But Sunseri, for as bad as he can be against others, has been around too long. He was eventually going to find someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have to disagree on one thing Tom. I thought there was far more than 27k in the stands. Looked real bad at kickoff but it filled in real nice. They sold 40k and 13k no shows would be an awful lot. I'm guessing it was closer to 35k in the seats. Very late arriving though. Not good to have construction on both highways leading in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think Tom knows more about football than some coaches. Very nice summation. Anderson set Pitt up for thier first TD with that foolish penalty on Davis' TD. Why can't we fully enjoy a positive like that TD? Pitt ended up starting that scoring drive on their own 38 as a result. I agree with your crowd estimate. Kim's heart attack dish was fabulous. Met a lot of great people at the tailgate MadNY3, JavaDoc's dad, Otto Mets, Cuseguy's friend from Branford CT, Lincolcuse's father-in-law. There were more. Great to see the Krautman's, Lemon's and Mrs. Emerich along with Dan Conley. Thanks to the hard working crews who man the grills which keep the masses fed.

The highlight of this tailgate though was the announcement by Texan Mark of Jeremy Cuse's engagement. Congrats.

Have to disagree on one thing Tom. I thought there was far more than 27k in the stands. Looked real bad at kickoff but it filled in real nice. They sold 40k and 13k no shows would be an awful lot. I'm guessing it was closer to 35k in the seats. Very late arriving though. Not good to have construction on both highways leading in.

Rahme (or Nolan or whoever was running the twitter account) and Axe thought the 40k attendance was legit. Each said they thought worst case 38k in the seats at the time the figure was announced.

Definitely looked more full on TV later in the game that it did at kickoff. At kickoff, the PBP guy said "good crowd here tonight" then as the camera followed the kickoff thru the air, all you saw was bleachers. Not all silver though because the premium empties have the orange seats. Eye candy.

the penalty was a terrible call though, the block came about 2 yds from the actual play and in reality probably occurred while the ball was still outside the endzone

the penalty was a terrible call though, the block came about 2 yds from the actual play and in reality probably occurred while the ball was still outside the endzone

Complete garbage call. He put a clean block on the closest guy. Davis was on the 2 yard line, he wasn't in yet. Defensive guys should get more latitude on that, it's not like they block for guys running in the end zone all the time. When I heard the ref make the call I figured Anderson had hit the guy again after he knocked him down.

Thanks, Tom. As an out of town fan, I enjoy your game recap. You call it as you see it and whether I agree (most of the time) or disagree, I fully respect that. Your insight is appreciated.

Great summary. I've been thinking the same thing about the punters, but I was thinking it mainly because if someone told me to aim my driver off the tee to a side or between a range of distance that is less distance than I normally drive I would struggle mightily. Loved seeing pressure from the 4 man front. The Oline seemed to work well pretty much throughout. The Shanahan big play was disturbing on the back end, but it was also great to see the LB trigger from the brush and hit Sunseri as he threw the ball which probably saved the play. That kind of timing on the blitz from LBs is one of the things I remember about 2010. The team played with more focus and showed they are teachable. SU's offense needs to figure out it's package against coverage and eliminate turnovers in the red zone. Marrone moved away from emotion suppression which is good as long as he grows in his ability to regulate his emotions. I think players need discipline, and they need to feel felt.

3 man rush can work against a younger QB where the coverages give them issues. But Sunseri, for as bad as he can be against others, has been around too long. He was eventually going to find someone.

Good point. I think young/inexperienced QBs tend to have a clock in their head and will rush their throws even when they have time. I recall Savage being this was this way when he played at Rutgers.
Personally, I think forcing a QB to throw under pressure is more effective than having an extra DB. Often a pressured QB will rush a throw and miss a wide-open receiver.

Wish Broyld had the QB Knowledge to run this O (What happened to the wildcat),Felt Great to see Marrone EMOTIONAL, Anderson is unwatchable, Let's see how the Offense is in Bad weather,AAM- "good to see him running the Ball", Bromley- What a recruiting steal.

Thought Nassib was having a good game until the point he threw the ill fated fade pass in the endzone that was picked off. You have to throw it to the outside and you have to throw it to the back of the endzone. Bad pass but like Bees says, bad idea to call that play. It is not a strength of Nassib's and is not a good play period that close to the goal line. You need more time for the WR to break free of the CB.

Can you elaborate on why the fade "is not a good play period that close to the goal line?

It was definitely not a good throw but I didn't have a problem with the play call. 1 on 1 with our best/playmaking WR. With 5 minutes left in the half, I didn't mind taking a stab at the endzone and resorting to a FG if we failed. It would've put us up 10 and even if Pitt scored to end the half, we would still be ahead with the ball to start the 2nd.
It just wasn't executed. 3rd and 4 on the Pitt 9 is "too close to the goal line?" Again, the throw wasn't great (i.e. high enough) but teams at all levels throw fades or back shoulders in the tight red zone all the time. Maybe it's a better play call if we had a taller WR but I don't think a fade in that situation is a bad idea.

We didn't do much on offense after our 1st possession. Just enough output to flip the field. I was terrified all 2nd half but so happy to pull that one out. That game ending drive was a little vindication for the players and coaching staff

Sunseri is having a good year.

Senior future NFL qbs need to be able to not throw a fade 5 yards short. and a hail mary 10 yards long.

Reactions: CIL
Regarding the 3 man rush, I personally despise it. I hate giving the QB all day to find someone, eventually their is going to be an opening. With that said Pitt used it a couple times last night successfully against Nassib. I know he has been hit a lot of times in his career, but his pocket presence is awful. There were a couple plays where Pitt would rush three, Nassib would get to the top of his dropback and then rush forward for a 3 yard gain on a 3 and 10. On 3 and 10 he needs to compose himself realize he is going to have a little more time and find a receiver. I would be remised if i didn't mention that huge 3 and 6 pick up in the 4th quarter though.

I freeze framed the ESPN highlights this morning. Block occurred behind the play on the 3. Was a legal block. Ball carrier had not yet broken the plane, about a half-yard out. It was a good football play and simply a bad call by the ref.

Regarding the 3 man rush, I personally despise it. I hate giving the QB all day to find someone, eventually their is going to be an opening. With that said Pitt used it a couple times last night successfully against Nassib. I know he has been hit a lot of times in his career, but his pocket presence is awful. There were a couple plays where Pitt would rush three, Nassib would get to the top of his dropback and then rush forward for a 3 yard gain on a 3 and 10. On 3 and 10 he needs to compose himself realize he is going to have a little more time and find a receiver. I would be remised if i didn't mention that huge 3 and 6 pick up in the 4th quarter though.
The thing that I really dislike about the three man rush (and not being more agressive in those situations) is that you are at home. When the crowd is loud at The Dome (as it usually is on 3rd down), the D-Line is always going to get a split second advantage at the snap of the ball compared to other scenarios.

My thought process is always to be as aggressive as you can in The Carrier Dome and take advantage of it...

SUOrange44

No way there was 40k in there.

I freeze framed the ESPN highlights this morning. Block occurred behind the play on the 3. Was a legal block. Ball carrier had not yet broken the plane, about a half-yard out. It was a good football play and simply a bad call by the ref.

I disliked the call, and it gave Pitt great field position. I liked #9's hustle on the play. He made a good block up field close to where SU recover the fumble. No need to make the block behind the play when the teammate is going into the end zone, and that probably triggered the flag more than anything. It's hard to be critical of a DB making decisions about blocks on a fumble recovery. These guys never block.

The thing that I really dislike about the three man rush (and not being more agressive in those situations) is that you are at home. When the crowd is loud at The Dome (as it usually is on 3rd down), the D-Line is always going to get a split second advantage at the snap of the ball compared to other scenarios.

My thought process is always to be as aggressive as you can in The Carrier Dome and take advantage of it...

SUOrange44

I don't get why many coaches, including in the NFL, like to play zone on 3rd and long. Maybe if you have a good front 4 you can get away with it. But if you play man and blitz the majority of the time you will force a pass to the hot guy well short of the 1st down. Coaches are too scared of getting beat for a big play (which is low %) without thinking of all the positives (sack, fumble, INT, incomplete, stopped short on downs).

Since I highly doubt we will change and go away from this strategy, why in the hell don't we put better personel in there? Why play in a base 3 man front? Play the DEs wide and let they come up field. And use Davis as a stand up DE instead of having him sit in a zone where he seems lost. Either of those would at least give us a shot a getting token pressure.

I disliked the call, and it gave Pitt great field position. I liked #9's hustle on the play. He made a good block up field close to where SU recover the fumble. No need to make the block behind the play when the teammate is going into the end zone, and that probably triggered the flag more than anything. It's hard to be critical of a DB making decisions about blocks on a fumble recovery. These guys never block.

Even if it wasn't a smart play, last time I checked being dumb isn't a penalty alone. He didn't violate a rule and the ref needs to get that call correctly.

Even if it wasn't a smart play, last time I checked being dumb isn't a penalty alone. He didn't violate a rule and the ref needs to get that call correctly.

I disliked the call.

not sure why people think our wide receivers are small. Clark is about 6 feet but skinney. Sales is is a 6 footer. Lemon and West are 6-2, Flemming 6-3. No Max Maisels there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom