My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Another very pleasant day in CNY. High around 44, partly sunny, I played golf again, 5th time this month. Still no significsnt snowfall. I still haven't shoveled either.

Disappointing crowd. Maybe 15K actually in the seats. The students have left for the holidays, which didn't help. No dance team but Otto and 18th of his best cheerleaders were still there to represent.

The NA was sung by an 11th grade student from JD. He did a terrific job, other than starting the song the first time during a moment of silence for the victims of the Newtown tragedy. Security was incidentally stepped up after Newtown...everyone was scanned for weapons today, which led to delays for people entering the dome. If they do this for the big games, it is going to be ugly, especially for the late arriving crowd (you know who you are).

Canisius played very hard, did a surprisingly good job with their man defense and their veteran guards did a nice job attacking our 2-3 zone in the first half. Got a lot of good looks inside and outside...might have been our worse effort defensively of the season. Despite being a small team, they pounded the boards hard and hurt us there, especially attacking the offensive boards. We might well have been out rebounded.

Second half, the 2-3 was a lot more active, MCW got a few steals, we started to get fast break baskets from good defense and the game was basically over.

Thought MCW played a fairly quiet and unusually bland first half. Pretty passive on offense and defense. Not bad, but not up to his normal standards. He did set up a bunch of scoring plays where a player was fouled instead of scoring. The second half, he was stellar on offense and defense. When he is good, he is a joy to watch...wow, he really took over the game for a while. Lots of steals, some points, and many excellent passes.

The first few games of the season, I didn't see a lot of chemistry between Michael and BT. That seems to be really developed over the past 5 games or so, with them often setting each other up for easy shots. Good to see.

Speaking of BT, thought he had another quiet, efficient game, played under control and did a lot of nice things. I think he is played a little smarter and consistent than in past years. He has a way of scoring 15 points game after game where it seems he might have 5 or 7.

Great to see JS get off the schneid from the 3 point circle and make his first ones since that memorable game in Fayetteville, AK. Really like the mid range jumper that is becoming an important part of his game on offense. Passing well, getting steals and finishing well too, as usual.

CJ rebounded well and had a few nice moves. Looks to me like he is making a conscious effort to hit the boards harder than in the past. Was quiet for extended periods but we don't need his scoring right now and I am not really worried about him.

Keita had a quiet game. Didn't get a lot of playing time...Christmas is playing well and I think JB is really trying to give DCII a lot of PT right now to accelerate his adjustment to college ball (which by the way, it appears to be working). Again, we know what he can do so he might be getting the short end of the stick in playing time because of this.

Cooney didn't get a lot of playing time, which was kind of surprising. The subs didn't play well in the 1st half and that affected their playing time the rest of the game. Too bad...I think this is not good for Trevor and his development. Thought he played fine by the way.

Grant also got limited minutes. Probably also deserved more playing time. Canisius was, well, quite tenacious, and while SU was up by more than 10 points almost the entire 2nd half, they couldn't completely break them and the Golden Griffs kept inching to 10-12 points over and over when SU threatened to completely blow the game open.

That inability to make the game a true blowout hurt the PT for the frosh. Jerami played well in limited minutes, getting a steal, hitting a jumper, playing good defense. But I think JB was taking no chances today and when the subs blew a big lead in the 1st half, he decided to go with vets most of the rest of the way.

DCII played a good game. I love his ability to rebound the ball. He is hustling his butt off all over the court. Had some issues getting beat down the court early. That problem has been addressed. Getting better at retaining his shooting touch in heavy traffic. Maybe playing a bit more above the rim these days as well. His defense isn't great but is getting better. He played as best I could determine, in the middle of the zone whenever he was in.

Christmas played one of his best games on offense. Scored on a variety of moves, hit a 15 footer jumper (a first I believe), a beautiful hook, a couple of short ones and a nice mid range jumper. Made a couple fouls and wasn't great on defense but not bad. Looked like CU tried to attack his area of the zone when he was on the wing but they had only limited success doing this.

The team was a little flat. Understandable given it was finals week. Was happy with the effort in the 2nd half. I like CU and think they have a good shot to win their league. Hope they do. Props to them for bringing a pretty good group of fans to the game. Pockets were scattered thoughout the Dome but I think they might have brought 100 fans all told. That is about 95 more than say, UConn brings. It was the 70th meeting between the schools. I hope we continue to play them.

900 next on Monday. I look forward to what SU has in store for the event. 900 tubas? A 900 from Tony Hawk? Or cheap cardboard signs with 900 on them? And an orange jersey with 900 on it? I have my suspicions, but perhaps the AD office will surprise us.

Excellent write-up. Too bad about the freshmen PT but I can now understand it ..

900 next on Monday. I look forward to what SU has in store for the event. 900 tubas? A 900 from Tony Hawk? Or cheap cardboard signs with 900 on them? And an orange jersey with 900 on it? I have my suspicions, but perhaps the AD office will surprise us.
I'm guessing a tshirt.

Come on, mang. Don't leave me hanging. Give me what I need...

I was going to give them a pass tonight but after reading some of their insane posts on their board regarding how special of a program they think they have and "why would noone want us"...um because you are Uconn. And with that...

I rewatched the second half and I think Canisius hit 7 straight threes. If they missed a few of those we probably win by another 8-10 points. That being said Canisius scored something like 7 points in second half inside the arc. Just some rebounding and offensive woes in the first half when whenever we got some momentum.

This is our best halfcourt transition team maybe ever. MCW looks to pass and is really our only perimeter driver. And our post up bigs Rak and Coleman open up Southerland, CJ Triche from midrange. Not to mention a good look back to MCW on the baseline.
Much differnet then Dion, Scoop and KJO driving from the perimeter and Andy and Wes shooing perimeter J's with a hand in their face at times. Huge difference from first half and second half looks.

Another nice write-up, Tom.
Too bad we needed to go all out (Southerland, BT, MCW and Fair all with 30 plus minutes) to pull away from Canisius. Hard to say how good Canisius will be. Better than 9th in their league as they were picked pre-season, but certainly not top 50 in the country. Yet when they kept us in a half court game (first half), it was uncomfortably even.
No doubt that MCW is our best player/leader; we also have real good finishers in BT (19 points), James, and Rak.

It was pretty obvious that the offense and defense stalled completely when MCW was out of the game.

It was pretty obvious that the offense and defense stalled completely when MCW was out of the game.
Since MCW only sat for two minutes, one of which was when the walk-ons came in, how could you tell?

First off about your playing golf. I took out my anti-snow storm insurance this week so you should be good to go for a while. (got the snow blower out, changed the oil, started it up and ran it for a few minutes. Now that it is ready, it almost guarantees now storms for 3 weeks)

I think JB showed who he has confidence in last night. Yeah he played 9 but of the freshmen, only Coleman got double digit minutes. It looks to me that DC2 still has a long ways to go. It looks to me like a kid who hasn't played a lot of top notch opposition and guys near his size. For some one with his supposed strenght he gets a lot of balls knocked away. I agree that Grant looked alright. I didn't see any major mistakes and thought he deserved more time. Cooney played didin't do worng but nothing outstanding either.

I thought that Southerland showed a huge game. 21 pts and only 9 from the 3 pt line. Loved his mid range jumper. That is going to make closing out on him tough when he can take a couple of dribbles past the close out and sink the jumper. MCW was blah until he got called for the charge while trying a dunk. That seemed to spark him. Came back and stole the ball and passed to BT for a dunk. Even the annoucer commented that when MCW makes a mistake, or does something wrong, he goes right after his man. Like he is trying to make up for it. Usually that is bad news for a player but he has made it work.

Since MCW only sat for two minutes, one of which was when the walk-ons came in, how could you tell?
During those two minutes, Canisius went on a 6-0 run between the under 4 TO and the 2 minute mark. 2 missed FTs, 2 fouls and a missed jumper. Canisius took the lead during those two minutes. After MCW returned, he drew two fouls, got the lead back and SU never trailed again...coincidentally, MCW didn't leave the court after that.

Great write up Tom, I really look forward to these wrap-ups thanks. 900 Tubas, now that would be something. Talk about free international press, we'd probably have to borrow some from every university from here to u-CON. Including the one white one they have in Storres.

During those two minutes, Canisius went on a 6-0 run between the under 4 TO and the 2 minute mark. 2 missed FTs, 2 fouls and a missed jumper. Canisius took the lead during those two minutes. After MCW returned, he drew two fouls, got the lead back and SU never trailed again...coincidentally, MCW didn't leave the court after that.

Huh? MCW came out at about the 14 min mark and while he was out, Canisius outscored us 5-2. That's when JB got upset with Cooney for a bad pass and a bad defensive possession and MCW came right back in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As always, appreciate your insight and comments. By the way, where are you playing these days? Got to Rogues Roost on thanksgiving day ($10walking) and played Seneca the last good day we had a week or so ago (also$10 walking for as long as you like, but no flags out). Liverpool still open but wants to charge $17 to walk nine. Northern Pines has or had an honor box and you could still go out and play on a decent day. Who else is still open or opens up on the occasional good winter day?

Another very pleasant day in CNY. High around 44, partly sunny, I played golf again, 5th time this month. Still no significsnt snowfall. I still haven't shoveled either.

It was 80 degrees colder here.

When my dad was up in October we played the 18 hole course they have on base. Farthest north course in the world, I think it was 28 degrees.

As always, appreciate your insight and comments. By the way, where are you playing these days? Got to Rogues Roost on thanksgiving day ($10walking) and played Seneca the last good day we had a week or so ago (also$10 walking for as long as you like, but no flags out). Liverpool still open but wants to charge $17 to walk nine. Northern Pines has or had an honor box and you could still go out and play on a decent day. Who else is still open or opens up on the occasional good winter day?
I have been playing at Liverpool. Would play elsewhere but Liverpool drains well, tends to be in the best shape and my friends prefer it.

Other places you can play include Orchard Valli in Lafayette, which like Liverpool never closes. Given its southerly location on Route 20, sometimes you can play there on a warmish winter day when Liverpool et al are covered by snow.

Foxfire is still open. Last I knew they were charging $15 to walk and $25 to ride. Radisson is usually open with an honor system deal during mild parts of the winter. It was $15 to play there last winter. Sunset Ridge in Marcellus is also still open last I knew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom