My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
PC played zone almost all game...they didn't have the athletes to play man and when they tried, disaster ensued. Thought SU played reasonably good defense, rebounded the ball pretty well, shot FTs well. The only real problem was shooting, which was horrendous from the field and from the 3 point circle.

Thought Cooley did a good job attacking the SU zone, especially in the 1st half. Cotton is a fine scorer, one of the best in the conference and deserves more respect than he gets. They set some good picks at the top of the key, ran some nice inbound plays, had some nice interior passing. Their big guy Dikiri? was pretty impressive too. They should be better than their record...I guess they have had a bunch of injuries that have slowed down their progress. They always seem to have a lot of injuries.

Thought MCW rebounded really well from the bad game in Tampa. The biggest play of the game, IMHO, was the 3 pointer he hit with SU up by 1 and the shot clock near zone. I believe it put us up 54-51. But he did a lot more than that...played under control, made a lot of good passes, finished well, played excellent defense (fighting through the picks better than last game) and even making his FTs.

Fair played quite well though he missed an alarming number of wide open easy shots. But his weak side defense help was very good, he rebounded the ball well, especially on the offensive side and kept us in the game in the 1st half with big baskets.

JS had a bad shooting game but got some rebounds, played decent on defense and hit some short shots that helped a lot. Hit a big 3 in the 2nd half but missed a bunch. Some were really bad misses. I wonder if he was sick, he was definitely off today. Still good to see him contributing when not shooting well.

Speaking of off shooting nights, BT didn't shot it well either. Shot most of his 3s in a weird flat footed style...was not very aggressive going to the hoop either. Still had some good passes and played well on defense.

Keita had another ghost game on the road. He is almost a complete non threat on offense, is not playing particularly well on defense and got beat on the boards badly again tonight. He did have a really nice short pass to CJ that should have been a rare assist for him but CJ missed the bunny. Anyway, BMK has to get more involved and active. Seems like he is getting more fouls than points or rebounds these days.

That leaves the only other player in the rotation, RC, who had perhaps the best game of his career. He was really active, had a bushel of dunks on offense and a bunch of other points, some of which were crucial (the follow on a badly undershot short CJ jumper was huge). Rebounded well and had a number of big blocks inside too. He is distancing himself from the other bigs now and if he can stay out of foul trouble, will be playing 30 minutes a game from this point forward.

DC2, JG and TC made honorary appearances, didn't do a lot in their limited minutes and didn't play in the 2nd half again. BMK was again the only sub in the 2nd half. We have to find a way to get more players on the court. Again, I question why JB keeps playing TC and JG together. I think it would be best to limit the number of inexperienced players playing at the same time to one. The good news is that the next game is at home and will be a much better opportunity for the youngsters to prove they deserve more playing time. But we are going to get burned playing only 6 (and not resting the guards almost at all) against good opponents.

Really liked seeing JB trap out of the TO, forcing PC to blow their last TO in the last minute. Liked his adjustments to the zone after PC lit it up in the 1st, much like what happened with USF in the 1st half this weekend. Glad MCW was able to have a big game in front of his family and friends. Glad to see him get off the schneid...he really needed a strong game. Really liked the way we hit the offensive glass tonight. This team is, I think, capable of being an excellent offensive rebounding team and I hope to see more of this in future games, especially against smaller teams )(like the Friars).

Any road game in conference play is a good win and this one was no exception. So long Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Arena/whatever is it called. It was always fun to watch games being played there and I regret never going to watch a game there in person.

Great post, Tom.

It was very frustrating to watch PC drill threes at such a torrid clip while we couldn't buy a basket early in the first half, but I give our kids credit for being mentally tough and remaining poised on the road. Any road win is a good one, and playing in tough games / situations will pay off down the road.

We really need DC to find a way to be a contributor; he's in dangerous proximity to being relegated to frosh Fab / Rak minutes, with negligible contributions.

The question about MCW's play was answered, and I for one felt reassured. I hope it can be "steady as she goes" from hereon out. But now there are more questions: Triche - what the heck? This is a psychological issue for him, and has been all 4 years. And to paraphrase the Supremes, "Baby, baby, where did our threes go?" We have not clicked yet as a team; I hope it happens soon!

In the meantime, I'll take the win on the road. Thanks for the good write up, Tom.

I wasn't able to watch the game. Did the Phantom Friar show up for old times sake?

Did you know we didn't make a 2 outside the paint? Wow. 1st half we only made basket total outside the paint. That was MCW's 3.

Providence packed in the zone and dared is to take 3's. We didn't hit them. Fortunately we found the seams and were able to get the ball inside a lot to Fair and Christmas.

I don't know why some people think Triche must ne a mental case just because his shot is off. Weird. He played well. 5 assists, 4 rebs. Good floor game. Driving wasn't easy at all due to the zone, and he didn't hit the jumpers tonight. God forbid, it must be mental. Strange the analysis people come up with (not you Tom).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Did you know we didn't make a 2 outside the paint? Wow. 1st half we only made basket total outside the paint. That was MCW's 3.

Providence packed in the zone and dared is to take 3's. We didn't hit them. Fortunately we found the seams and were able to get the ball inside a lot to Fair and Christmas.

I don't know why some people think Triche must ne a mental case just because his shot is off. Weird. He played well. 5 assists, 4 rebs. Good floor game. Driving wasn't easy at all due to the zone, and he didn't hit the jumpers tonight. God forbid, it must be mental. Strange the analysis people come up with (not you Tom).

I like bt but he did commit a ridiculous foul at the end of the game. He is a sr and has to be smarter than that.

this game reminded me of the game at louisville last year a lot..

Coleman needs to play 10-12 minutes a game at least. He needs some experience even if he makes some mistakes. It's not like Keita is doin great out there. Jeesh.

For what it's worth, the 5 second call came at 4.2 secs timed with a stop watch. We lost a possession there. Are we sure Higgins retired???

I like bt but he did commit a ridiculous foul at the end of the game. He is a sr and has to be smarter than that.

Agree with that completely. Silly foul.

Yeah, he does seem to have a strange ability to completely disappear for the better part of 40 mins. I'll lay off though given his last couple games.

Coleman needs to play 10-12 minutes a game at least. He needs some experience even if he makes some mistakes. It's not like Keita is doin great out there. Jeesh.

Keita's been excellent most of the year and DC needs to earn some PT and trust. We need to build some depth but I don't think you can just forcefeed him mins when you're trying to win conference games.

Thought Cooley did a good job attacking the SU zone, especially in the 1st half. Cotton is a fine scorer, one of the best in the conference and deserves more respect than he gets. They set some good picks at the top of the key, ran some nice inbound plays, had some nice interior passing. Their big guy Dikiri? was pretty impressive too. They should be better than their record...I guess they have had a bunch of injuries that have slowed down their progress. They always seem to have a lot of injuries.

Nice wrap-up. One guy not mentioned here is incent Council. I really like that guy. Fun player to watch. Love that kind of game.

BT scored nothing in the halfcourt today except off a offensive rebound. James missed every jumpshot but one. Nice to see us win despite that.

Fair Mike and Rak shaking his defender off the ball was our whole halfcourt offense.

Nice to see Fair go back inside against a zone. It will make teams think twice atleast before zoning us.

Yeah, he does seem to have a strange ability to completely disappear for the better part of 40 mins. I'll lay off though given his last couple games.

In what way did he "disappear"? I saw him on the court for 39 minutes and active.

Bt didn't shoot well, but he played fine otherwise minus the foul. Mcw shot better. Those two guys will always contribute something even if they don't score. We need to lay off bt and mcw a bit. Those two guys are the main reason we are 15-1. In the past I may say bt was to laid back, but even he was trying to pump up Trevor cooney by yelling and clapping at him when he was in the game.
One other observation I made tonight is how out of control we are as a fan base. Does anyone enjoy watching us play or enjoy that we're a top ten team? I just heard two guys call into Mcmanus and say we're in a rebuilding year. I just have to shake my head at some of you people. If you want to see a rebuilding year go watch tape of the donte Greene year. We finished like 9th in the conference, or Gerry's senior year. That was a great year also. Only year ever I believe we were under 500 in big east play. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the student section watching gmac chuck up 30 footers hoping it would go in or maybe Terrence Roberts would get an offensive rebound. Rebuilding year? Bad team? Some of our fans are a joke. You all just need something to complain about because your own life is miserable.

In what way did he "disappear"? I saw him on the court for 39 minutes and active.

4 pts, 2 of 10, 4 turnovers, atrocious foul in crunch time. I'm not trying to kill the kid. He's been great lately. But I'm not exactly counting that as "showing up" in any way shape or form.

With Rak playing the game of his career, Baye was not on the floor long enough to do anything.

Fair Mike and Rak were our whole halfcourt offense scoring 55 of our 71 points. Add in something like 17-18 from the freethrow line.

Nice to know we can win on the road with Triche and Southerland both not putting up 10 in the halfcourt. Teams will still zone us I think though. Tougher to make Triche have a off night against m2m then it is to have Southerland have a off night.

I don't blame JB playing only 5 against a team like Providence. They are not known for defense but scoring.

4 pts, 2 of 10, 4 turnovers, atrocious foul in crunch time. I'm not trying to kill the kid. He's been great lately. But I'm not exactly counting that as "showing up" in any way shape or form.

No he didn't play well (tho u conveniently left out the 5 assts and 4 rebs) but he didn't disappear and he most certainly wasn't a head case out there as some posters have said.

With Rak playing the game of his career, Baye was not on the floor long enough to do anything.

Baye played 2 minutes, largely because Rak was having such a great game. Hard to judge him on 2 minutes.

Baye played 2 minutes, largely because Rak was having such a great game. Hard to judge him on 2 minutes.

Well he did manage to accumulate 3 fouls in those 2 minutes, so there is that. :)

No he didn't play well (tho u conveniently left out the 5 assts and 4 rebs) but he didn't disappear and he most certainly wasn't a head case out there as some posters have said.

I don't understand how people jump on Triche like they are in this thread. That foul at the end of the game was stupid - mostly because it was right in front of the ref, but he was pretty darn close to poking that ball away. He makes that play and everyone on here is saying what a smart player he is and how he stayed scrappy even on a night when he wasn't shooting it well.

How about the fact that he knew he wasn't shooting it well, so he didn't jack up even more threes? James shot 1-8 from three but no one is saying he must be a head case? I don't get it with these people.

I like BT but he was awful last night. 2-10, failed to get to the line at all, 4 turnovers, in 39 minutes is about as bad as it gets. Yes he got a few boards and had a couple nice passes but when you play the whole game you should have some positive plays. He has had very few games like that this year though, and yeah I don't get the head case part he is the opposite of that in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom