My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

No he didn't play well (tho u conveniently left out the 5 assts and 4 rebs) but he didn't disappear and he most certainly wasn't a head case out there as some posters have said.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No I agree and he's been absolutely terrific of late. He just remains kind of an odd player. Can't remember many players that I literally couldn't predict whether we were going to get 20+ or less than 5. Neither surprises me even a little. Maybe Blackwell was the last guy like that?

But I agree, he was still able to contribute and he's a key part of this team.

I wonder if the Dukie fans jump all over Seth Curry like we do to Triche.

Take a look at Curry's stats.

It's called basketball boys and girls. Some nights you have it and some you don't on the offensive end. At least Triche remembers there are two ends of the court and when he's not hitting shots he's still out there trying to contribute on the defensive end. We've had several guards over the last decade who you can't say that about.

For what it's worth, the 5 second call came at 4.2 secs timed with a stop watch. We lost a possession there. Are we sure Higgins retired???
Which means that the call was correct. You cannot be granted a TO if you are in jeopardy, being defined as 4 seconds or more.

No I agree and he's been absolutely terrific of late. He just remains kind of an odd player. Can't remember many players that I literally couldn't predict whether we were going to get 20+ or less than 5.
Anyone who has played a lot of bball knows that some games you can be in zone and other games can't hit beans--happens to everyone.

Yeah, he does seem to have a strange ability to completely disappear for the better part of 40 mins. I'll lay off though given his last couple games.

KJo was the master of those games, especially come tourny time.

Great post, Tom.

We really need DC to find a way to be a contributor; he's in dangerous proximity to being relegated to frosh Fab / Rak minutes, with negligible contributions.

That ship has sailed for this year anyway.

No I agree and he's been absolutely terrific of late. He just remains kind of an odd player. Can't remember many players that I literally couldn't predict whether we were going to get 20+ or less than 5. Neither surprises me even a little. Maybe Blackwell was the last guy like that?

Nothing against Triche, he is what he is.
Its still early, but I, like many others expected a more...how can I put this- impactful(?) presence in his senior year?
What we seem to be getting is the same vacant, expressionless, and yet fundamentally steady player, that we've come to know & love(?).
We've heard since he set foot on campus that all he needed was to impose his will on the game, take more shots, that he didn't realize how good he really was. But even in a recent game, one of the commentators mentioned how JB was still urging him to "shoot more", that he'd only scratched the surface of his skills. Seriously.
I sorta expected more...but, again- it's still early.

Nothing against Triche, he is what he is.
Its still early, but I, like many others expected a more...how can I put this- impactful(?) presence in his senior year?
What we seem to be getting is the same vacant, expressionless, and yet fundamentally steady player, that we've come to know & love(?).
We've heard since he set foot on campus that all he needed was to impose his will on the game, take more shots, that he didn't realize how good he really was. But even in a recent game, one of the commentators mentioned how JB was still urging him to "shoot more", that he'd only scratched the surface of his skills. Seriously.
I sorta expected more...but, again- it's still early.
He was vocal last night, first time I think I have ever seen that.

I don't understand how people jump on Triche like they are in this thread. That foul at the end of the game was stupid - mostly because it was right in front of the ref, but he was pretty darn close to poking that ball away. He makes that play and everyone on here is saying what a smart player he is and how he stayed scrappy even on a night when he wasn't shooting it well.

How about the fact that he knew he wasn't shooting it well, so he didn't jack up even more threes? James shot 1-8 from three but no one is saying he must be a head case? I don't get it with these people.

Yep. He played bad. But people point to his mental state or say he disappeared etc. That's the stuff I don't get. He works hard out there. If he was dogging it then I could see it. Other players shoot like ass and they were just "off".

I don't understand how people jump on Triche like they are in this thread. That foul at the end of the game was stupid - mostly because it was right in front of the ref, but he was pretty darn close to poking that ball away. He makes that play and everyone on here is saying what a smart player he is and how he stayed scrappy even on a night when he wasn't shooting it well.

How about the fact that he knew he wasn't shooting it well, so he didn't jack up even more threes? James shot 1-8 from three but no one is saying he must be a head case? I don't get it with these people.

The play was stupid because of time and score. The game was over the only way they could win is if they scored with the clock stopped. So no one should do anything that remotely could be called a foul. James and BT both played poorly.

How do we put Cooney's confidence into BT...and put BT's "let me think about this first" mentality into Cooney?

BT scored nothing in the halfcourt today except off a offensive rebound. James missed every jumpshot but one. Nice to see us win despite that.

Fair Mike and Rak shaking his defender off the ball was our whole halfcourt offense.

Nice to see Fair go back inside against a zone. It will make teams think twice atleast before zoning us.
James actually made 2 jump shots, a 3 and one from the foul line. He also had 7 rebounds.

The play was stupid because of time and score. The game was over the only way they could win is if they scored with the clock stopped. So no one should do anything that remotely could be called a foul. James and BT both played poorly.
I must have missed it, I had intermitent computer buffering problems. Sounds like BT made a boneheaded move.
I did see MCW foul the guy on the inbounds pass. Also bad given the time and score, it put the guy on the line for 2.

It would seem with these two guards BBall IQ should be a strength of this team, not a hinderance. I hope they get this out of their system in a hurry.

Yep. He played bad. But people point to his mental state or say he disappeared etc. That's the stuff I don't get. He works hard out there. If he was dogging it then I could see it. Other players shoot like ass and they were just "off".

His shot was off. It happens. But he played hard defensively and made some very nice passes for easy baskets. Thankfully, we got scoring from other places last night.

I'm always amazed how people go nuts when Triche or any of our other top players have poor games offensively. They need to take a look at the game by game stat lines of other good college players and note the "consistency" they see there.

I wonder if people could name 5 shooting guards they'd rather have this year than BT when you consider his overall impact, including senior leadership, defensive abilities, rebounding, assists, and offensive output. I am very happy having him. I think he and MCW work pretty darn well together. I'd be willing to bet we have the best rebounding guards in the country. Maybe the best assist and steal tandem too who knows. And between the two of them we probably average 30 a night which isn't shabby either. We have a much bigger problem getting scoring out of our bigs. Very encouraged to see Roc stepping up.

4 pts, 2 of 10, 4 turnovers, atrocious foul in crunch time. I'm not trying to kill the kid. He's been great lately. But I'm not exactly counting that as "showing up" in any way shape or form.

He had a bad game, but he is a very solid presence for us on the floor. He is a steadying influence. He's like our Derek Jeter - doesn't showboat, very calm demeanor, does all the fundamental things you want a player to do, and mostly shows good judgment out there. Even if he misses some shots, he's still very important for this team.

Speaking of Ryan Blackwell - that guy just dominated Villanova. Totally had their number. If he only played against them, he would have been a First Round pick.

That ship has sailed for this year anyway.

He still has a couple more games. Once Louisville gets here, he's looking at single digit minutes if he can't figure out how to play defense in the middle of the zone. JB would allow him to keep trying on the offensive end if he wasn't playing such poor defense. He's giving up way to many open shots inside when he is in there.

Yeah, and the guy was basically going backwards 30 feet from the basket. He was doing exactly what we wanted him to do and BT fouled him. Atrocious, atrocious play. And please not -- this doesn't mean great players have bad plays or that BT is a bad person or not a key ingredient on this year's team. I don't personally dislike him -- it was exactly what it was, an awful play. To say that is not going apestuff on the kid.

I'm assuming you're referring to me when you're commenting on disappearing. I really don't think the kid was being hammered by many posters and the reason he's getting more criticism than a kid like DC or Keita or someone is b/c there is obviously more expected of him.

But, personally, I don't think it was simply a matter of shooting poorly. BT made some nice passes and he is definitely a factor as a guard rebounding the ball. But when MCW was struggling with the press, it was Fair that made the play tipping the ball to himself. When there were free throws to be made it was Fair making most of them and MCW and Southerland chipping in -- no BT. When Cotton was white hot and our offense was positively craptastic during stretches of the first half, it was Fair that kept us in the game. When we simply had to defend solidly with under 40 seconds, it was BT committing a truly awful foul.

Does any of this mean anything other than that it was a bad game? No. And did he contribute some nice passes and a few boards with solid defense? Absolutely. Does it mean he's lost confidence? No. But I certainly don't think folks are out of line for suggesting that it was, in fact, a pretty abysmal performance and that the guy does, at times, appear to be a bit unsure of himself (I get that we can't know or prove this, but it does certainly appear that way at times).

I was/am one of scoop's biggest defenders on this board and I like Triche, but I'm not quite sure why so many take such exception to people pointing out his terrible game. No one commented on any of my posts the last two games when I was talking about how well he played.

I'm assuming you're referring to me when you're commenting on disappearing. I really don't think the kid was being hammered by many posters and the reason he's getting more criticism than a kid like DC or Keita or someone is b/c there is obviously more expected of him.

But, personally, I don't think it was simply a matter of shooting poorly. BT made some nice passes and he is definitely a factor as a guard rebounding the ball. But when MCW was struggling with the press, it was Fair that made the play tipping the ball to himself. When there were free throws to be made it was Fair making most of them and MCW and Southerland chipping in -- no BT. When Cotton was white hot and our offense was positively craptastic during stretches of the first half, it was Fair that kept us in the game. When we simply had to defend solidly with under 40 seconds, it was BT committing a truly awful foul.

Does any of this mean anything other than that it was a bad game? No. And did he contribute some nice passes and a few boards with solid defense? Absolutely. Does it mean he's lost confidence? No. But I certainly don't think folks are out of line for suggesting that it was, in fact, a pretty abysmal performance and that the guy does, at times, appear to be a bit unsure of himself (I get that we can't know or prove this, but it does certainly appear that way at times).

I was/am one of scoop's biggest defenders on this board and I like Triche, but I'm not quite sure why so many take such exception to people pointing out his terrible game. No one commented on any of my posts the last two games when I was talking about how well he played.

He had a number of turnovers, too, and not of the questionable block/charge or hot but well-intentioned pass variety. More of that falling down with the ball and careening into traffic thing that we've seen so long.

Kid had a bad game. It happens.

Constructive criticism when appropriately delivered is never a bad thing, and again- it's mostly because so much is expected of him as the team's Old-Head.

Yeah, and the guy was basically going backwards 30 feet from the basket. He was doing exactly what we wanted him to do and BT fouled him. Atrocious, atrocious play. And please not -- this doesn't mean great players have bad plays or that BT is a bad person or not a key ingredient on this year's team. I don't personally dislike him -- it was exactly what it was, an awful play. To say that is not going apestuff on the kid.

That's not how I saw it. Triche was coming around to trap him, that's all. He just got there a second late. If it wasn't at that moment of the game, it wouldn't have been a big deal it all. And it wasn't a stupid reach against a player who was no threat to score, as some have characterized his play. I saw it as him getting there just a second late on the guy's blind side, or else he probably would have forced a turnover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom