My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Crowd was announced at 26K but there were around 21-22K actually in the seats. Students did not come out for this one; there was no one sitting in the upper deck at the start of the game, though some did eventually filter in later. Not much better performance from the non-students.

Despite this, the crowd was pretty into the game and made a lot of noise late, when it was really needed.

Solid job singing the NA by a young lady. Her country tinged version was really nice and well received by the crowd.

SU came out early struggling on offense and did not get a field goal for over 5 minutes. BC did what everyone is doing to defend Syracuse these days; they played man (almost exclusively), and other than Trevor, packed their defenders into the paint, to take away SU's ability to drive to the hoop. SU was able to get open jump shots whenever it wanted and with even a mediocre shooting night, would have won easily. But the shooting was not even at a mediocre level last night. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looked tight and played that way as well. Despite the packed in defense, SU was still able to get short, quality looks at the basket from almost gimme range (3 or 4 footers) but the bad shooting contagion infected even these shots and for much of the game, SU struggled to score.

We went to Fair a lot. I suspect this was by design, as JB was determined to get him off the schneid and get his confidence back. Simply put, it didn't work. CJ looked lost most of the game. I liked that he abandoned efforts to take outside jumpers early and focused on driving to the basket instead. But he kept uncharacteristically missing even easy 3 or 4 footers near the basket. He keeps taking banked shots with far too much speed on them. I saw he had cotton in his nose late in the game, I assume BC hit him in the face at some point and perhaps that was part of the reason for his problems. At this point, his only reliable method of scoring is to get an offensive rebound and put back the bunny (the BMK signature move). By and large, this team goes as CJ goes and right now, CJ is taking the team to a bad place.

On the other side of the basket, I thought SU did a pretty good job defensively. They forced a number of TOs with shot clock expirations, BC threw up a bunch of bad shots (especially in the first half) and for most of the game we did a decent job on the defensive boards. In the later part of the 2nd half however, Hanlan took over the game. He got in the paint and did damage there, made some 3s, and drew a bunch of fouls too. He is a terrific player and I think he is really underrated. We did a good job on Anderson most of the game but he became a factor late as well and got a number of big baskets for the Eagles. And 33, perhaps the worst athlete on the court, came out of nowhere to score some big baskets in overtime.

Part of this was bad defense; but to be fair, Rak was saddled with 4 fouls and was reluctant to be aggressive defensively with Anderson (after dominating him down low most of the game). It should be noted that BC executed their half court offense beautifully down the stretch. They worked the ball around the zone patiently and were able to find the open guy for a 3 with great consistency. And that guy, whoever he was, consistently drained the open 3. I give the Eagles a lot of credit...they played extremely hard, they shot the ball very well and executed better than we did on offense and defense.

I sat in a court side seat thanks to the generosity of a certain female board moderator (thanks again cto). The team did not looked panicked or confused as the end came down to the final minutes. They looked frustrated. The refs were relaxed and chatty, especially Easy Ed Corbett, who told us we were watching a great game and also mentioned that he will be doing the Duke-UNC game tonight and will not be doing the SU-Duke game on Saturday.

Have no idea what they said to the media but I have never seen a team fiddle with their shorts more than SU did last night. They looked frustrated and irritated with them; kept putting their hands inside the shorts to move them around and try to get more comfortable. At last one of the shirts had a seam that was loose. As with other Nike creations, they looked cheap, poorly made and even the proportions and placement of the graphics was botched. Does anyone know whose idea it was to wear blue shorts with orange shirts? Was that an edict from Nike, something the players decided or was it a Dr Gross decision?

I hope that this shooting issue came from the pressure of keeping the long winning streak alive and I hope that with the streak now history, the team can relax and play at the level we all know they are capable of. They are going to need to in their next couple of games. There are no easy games from this point forward.

Raks foul trouble cost us imo. When they tied it at 50 , Cooney was picked up top. tyler could have come over and cut iff Hanlan but he went to his left instead and correctly picked up the 3 pt shooter (who could have won the game w a three) so that left Rak to pick up the driving Hanlan. He took two steps out on Hanlan but then just did Ole because he didnt want to pick up a foul and Hanlan got an easy layup. I dont think Keita two weeks ago allows that layup. We need Keita back for two reasons. 1) his positional D is the best in the center of the zone. 2) our starters have hit a wall physically. They need a chance to catch their second wind, hope it happens either from more bench play or they catch 4-5 days off before the tourney. go Cuse!!

Maybe Boeheim can relax and use his whole team better. Should have pressed more and earlier and got out coached last night. These guards penetrated too much and granted this BC team hit some nice shots this game should have been put away when SU was up 10-2 turnover wise. I just hope this is a lesson learned and not Jimmy being stubborn and we never see this bench again.

Have no idea what they said to the media but I have never seen a team fiddle with their shorts more than SU did last night. They looked frustrated and irritated with them; kept putting their hands inside the shorts to move them around and try to get more comfortable. At last one of the shirts had a seam that was loose. As with other Nike creations, they looked cheap, poorly made and even the proportions and placement of the graphics was botched. Does anyone know whose idea it was to wear blue shorts with orange shirts? Was that an edict from Nike, something the players decided or was it a Dr Gross decision?

Excellent summary. I really wonder what was up with these uniforms. I know they were hideous to look at, but who cares. However, as you note, they were constantly adjusting them and seemed annoyed with them, and I've never seen nearly every player have their shirts out, and not tucked in.

The uniforms looked as if they were designed by a former Soviet bloc country. Our shooting was worse than the kid in pulp fiction, and JB pulled a Grob. All in all a bad B movie night for the Orange.

Team has been in a funk for the last few weeks. They need a break which they are not going to get. Lets see how they rebound.

I can tell you whose idea the uniforms were NOT. And that was JB. He disliked the idea from the start. It was not his call.
I never understood the nonsense with changing uniforms .. it creates an unneeded distraction. Players need to focus and fixed routines help them do it. And yes, they were hideous as if someone with wardrobe responsibility had a hidden agenda.

And Tom, your analysis was spot on!

I hope that this shooting issue came from the pressure of keeping the long winning streak alive and I hope that with the streak now history, the team can relax and play at the level we all know they are capable of. They are going to need to in their next couple of games. There are no easy games from this point forward.

When this team played loose and confident, they were explosive offensively. The team I saw against NC St and BC would not have come back from a 25-7 deficit like they did against Nova. This just isn't the sam team right now.

One thing to add to the summary. The "recreation" of Pearl's buzzer beater that they did at halftime was pretty anticlimactic. The kid launched the ball almost in to the student section.

As for the uniforms, obviously can't blame any part of the loss on the looks. However, as you mentioned I did think they fussed with the shorts a lot and I remember reading that, "The short has been re-engineered to flex with the player as he makes roughly 1,000 cuts or directional changes during the course of his game." Maybe whatever "re-engineering" was done made them uncomfortable or just feel different enough to bother them.

When this team played loose and confident, they were explosive offensively. The team I saw against NC St and BC would not have come back from a 25-7 deficit like they did against Nova. This just isn't the sam team right now.
Theyre a little tired. Pitt and duke games were very emotional and being number one takes a toll on you . Theres a normal ebb and flow to the season and being number one probably adds to that. Just gotta watch some gamefilm from vill, duke and get back to that style of play imo

One thing to add to the summary. The "recreation" of Pearl's buzzer beater that they did at halftime was pretty anticlimactic. The kid launched the ball almost in to the student section.

As for the uniforms, obviously can't blame any part of the loss on the looks. However, as you mentioned I did think they fussed with the shorts a lot and I remember reading that, "The short has been re-engineered to flex with the player as he makes roughly 1,000 cuts or directional changes during the course of his game." Maybe whatever "re-engineering" was done made them uncomfortable or just feel different enough to bother them.

One more thing to add about the Pearl shot. Mr. Excitement said that the promotion was in honor of the "anniversary" of the Pearl shot.

But Pearl's shot was on 21 January, not 19 February.

Look like a CYO team, play like a CYO team. I hope JB or Hop takes the boys outside and has a nice little bonfire with the whole thing (though I do like the cursive unis). If I'm JB I tell Nike if they do something like that again we're switching to Adidas. Someone at SU needed to say no.

said the same thing last nite, for whatever reason this isnt the same team we saw in maui or against nova or indiana or unc. that team would have won this game by double digits. theyve looked sluggish the last month and they need to fix it quick or we're gonna blow the 1 seed and buffalo/msg

Great post as usual Tom. Your comments on Syracuse being unable to hit anything was spot on. We must have missed at least 12-15 point blank layups and gimme baskets that this team would made 90% of earlier in the season. It was unbelievable how many easy looks we missed.

Second its clear CJ Fair is a shell of his former self. He was a man possessed on those jump shot earlier in the year, now he back rims everything, I cant recall the last time he made that side jumper that he killed St. Johns with. This team needs CJ to start shooting better or were headed no where good.

One more thing to add about the Pearl shot. Mr. Excitement said that the promotion was in honor of the "anniversary" of the Pearl shot.

But Pearl's shot was on 21 January, not 19 February.

anniversary meaning against BC

I never understood the nonsense with changing uniforms .. it creates an unneeded distraction. Players need to focus and fixed routines help them do it. And yes, they were hideous as if someone with wardrobe responsibility had a hidden agenda.

And Tom, your analysis was spot on!

Heck, some fans on here think the team will lose if they are not watching the game in the right uniform. Of course these uniforms have an affect. I at first was rooting for the wrong team. It must be tempting at times to pass to the wrong team. Maybe that's what happened with Ennis's pass toward the end. Who knows. It didn't actually look like the BC guy touched it.

Raks foul trouble cost us imo. When they tied it at 50 , Cooney was picked up top. tyler could have come over and cut iff Hanlan but he went to his left instead and correctly picked up the 3 pt shooter (who could have won the game w a three) so that left Rak to pick up the driving Hanlan. He took two steps out on Hanlan but then just did Ole because he didnt want to pick up a foul and Hanlan got an easy layup. I dont think Keita two weeks ago allows that layup. We need Keita back for two reasons. 1) his positional D is the best in the center of the zone. 2) our starters have hit a wall physically. They need a chance to catch their second wind, hope it happens either from more bench play or they catch 4-5 days off before the tourney. go Cuse!!
I got the impression that when Roc got to the bench, JB was telling him that he had to stop Hanlan even if he fouled him at that stage of the game.

I got the impression that when Roc got to the bench, JB was telling him that he had to stop Hanlan even if he fouled him at that stage of the game.
No question, but as im sure you saw in the replay Roc did the Ole, let him go right by and didnt even try to recover to challenge the layup. As JB said, our defense was not good in second half

No question, but as im sure you saw in the replay Roc did the Ole, let him go right by and didnt even try to recover to challenge the layup. As JB said, our defense was not good in second half
I didn't write that correctly because I meant JB told him that after he did the Ole.

Thanks, Tom. I had a class last night, saw the score and box score after the game, and went home to forget about it. As Forrest Gump said, " Happens." I was out of town all day today and have read very few posts here, but I did not want to miss yours.

I read on another website talking about the uni's, that the throwback (in reference to the two-toned package)) was celebrating the 1918 SU National Champs who wore Blue Tops and orange shorts (?). It wasn't a "true" throwback but encompassing a flavor of two-toned unis up to the 50,s and the '84 script unis.
"dramatic lisence, per se".

Crowd was announced at 26K but there were around 21-22K actually in the seats. Students did not come out for this one; there was no one sitting in the upper deck at the start of the game, though some did eventually filter in later. Not much better performance from the non-students.

Despite this, the crowd was pretty into the game and made a lot of noise late, when it was really needed.

Solid job singing the NA by a young lady. Her country tinged version was really nice and well received by the crowd.

SU came out early struggling on offense and did not get a field goal for over 5 minutes. BC did what everyone is doing to defend Syracuse these days; they played man (almost exclusively), and other than Trevor, packed their defenders into the paint, to take away SU's ability to drive to the hoop. SU was able to get open jump shots whenever it wanted and with even a mediocre shooting night, would have won easily. But the shooting was not even at a mediocre level last night. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looked tight and played that way as well. Despite the packed in defense, SU was still able to get short, quality looks at the basket from almost gimme range (3 or 4 footers) but the bad shooting contagion infected even these shots and for much of the game, SU struggled to score.

We went to Fair a lot. I suspect this was by design, as JB was determined to get him off the schneid and get his confidence back. Simply put, it didn't work. CJ looked lost most of the game. I liked that he abandoned efforts to take outside jumpers early and focused on driving to the basket instead. But he kept uncharacteristically missing even easy 3 or 4 footers near the basket. He keeps taking banked shots with far too much speed on them. I saw he had cotton in his nose late in the game, I assume BC hit him in the face at some point and perhaps that was part of the reason for his problems. At this point, his only reliable method of scoring is to get an offensive rebound and put back the bunny (the BMK signature move). By and large, this team goes as CJ goes and right now, CJ is taking the team to a bad place.

On the other side of the basket, I thought SU did a pretty good job defensively. They forced a number of TOs with shot clock expirations, BC threw up a bunch of bad shots (especially in the first half) and for most of the game we did a decent job on the defensive boards. In the later part of the 2nd half however, Hanlan took over the game. He got in the paint and did damage there, made some 3s, and drew a bunch of fouls too. He is a terrific player and I think he is really underrated. We did a good job on Anderson most of the game but he became a factor late as well and got a number of big baskets for the Eagles. And 33, perhaps the worst athlete on the court, came out of nowhere to score some big baskets in overtime.

Part of this was bad defense; but to be fair, Rak was saddled with 4 fouls and was reluctant to be aggressive defensively with Anderson (after dominating him down low most of the game). It should be noted that BC executed their half court offense beautifully down the stretch. They worked the ball around the zone patiently and were able to find the open guy for a 3 with great consistency. And that guy, whoever he was, consistently drained the open 3. I give the Eagles a lot of credit...they played extremely hard, they shot the ball very well and executed better than we did on offense and defense.

I sat in a court side seat thanks to the generosity of a certain female board moderator (thanks again cto). The team did not looked panicked or confused as the end came down to the final minutes. They looked frustrated. The refs were relaxed and chatty, especially Easy Ed Corbett, who told us we were watching a great game and also mentioned that he will be doing the Duke-UNC game tonight and will not be doing the SU-Duke game on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom