My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Let's start out with the minutia. It was another small crowd, I would guess there were seven or 8K actually in the dome. The students of course were still out of town. The people that came on very loud, it was a low-key affair the whole game long.

The national anthem was sung by a young lady from West Genesee high school named Kaitlyn Barry. She did a great job and brought the house down with her soaring voice. I wonder if they're going to bring in that girl from Baldwinsville to sing the NA at some point this season? That would be pretty cool.

Holy Cross is an interesting team. They lack any real size inside, but have a lot of good athletes, who were undersized but played very hard. They played man-to-man defense very aggressively, pressuring the bile the entire game, extending their defense to an extreme. They also pressed Syracuse for much of the game, sometimes quite effectively. If they're able to rebound the ball at all, and if they're able to shoot from the outside at all, they would be extremely dangerous.

Syracuse started out being very impatient fence. Holy Cross gave SU open looks from the three point circle the entire game, and early on, Syracuse was happy to take an open three whenever it was presented to them. As usual, as she did not shoot well from the outside. Today was a really special day though, as Syracuse was unable to hit a three the entire game! This is an historically bad outside shooting team.

So after trading points with the Crusaders for the early part of the game, with each team competing against each other to see who had the worst outside shooters of all time, Syracuse started getting the ball inside, and the game was soon over. Christmas continues to look like one of the most improved players in the country of the season, rebounding and scoring inside in dominant fashion. For the first time this year, he sat consistently well from the field, addressing the only weakness and his game to date. Unless you count file trouble. That flared up again today and this first half, so we handled it well and it was not a factor in the second half.

Props to McCullough, who shot the ball well again today and rebounded brilliantly. In recent games he has been playing mostly on the high post. But today, we spent most of his time on the baseline, where he was given open 10 foot jumpers all game long, which he gladly took and made.

The rest of the teams play was on the distinguished. Many bricks were thrown, and it was rare for shop to go in. Caleb Joseph had some good moments but was bothered by a veteran little guard from Holy Cross. He he appears to be getting better feeding the little post, but still suffers from too many careless turnovers.

I don't know what's going on with Silent G, but he is playing very poorly, is a complete mess, and he's a good hypnotist.

Good to see Christian White out there playing with the rest of the team, but he did not do well in his first big test at Taco Time. I know a 10-year-old girl who was very disappointed in his lack of clutch play...

Let's start out with the minutia. It was another small crowd, I would guess there were seven or 8K actually in the dome. The students of course were still out of town. The people that came on very loud, it was a low-key affair the whole game long.

The national anthem was sung by a young lady from West Genesee high school named Kaitlyn Barry. She did a great job and brought the house down with her soaring voice. I wonder if they're going to bring in that girl from Baldwinsville to sing the NA at some point this season? That would be pretty cool.

Holy Cross is an interesting team. They lack any real size inside, but have a lot of good athletes, who were undersized but played very hard. They played man-to-man defense very aggressively, pressuring the bile the entire game, extending their defense to an extreme. They also pressed Syracuse for much of the game, sometimes quite effectively. If they're able to rebound the ball at all, and if they're able to shoot from the outside at all, they would be extremely dangerous.

Syracuse started out being very impatient fence. Holy Cross gave SU open looks from the three point circle the entire game, and early on, Syracuse was happy to take an open three whenever it was presented to them. As usual, as she did not shoot well from the outside. Today was a really special day though, as Syracuse was unable to hit a three the entire game! This is an historically bad outside shooting team.

So after trading points with the Crusaders for the early part of the game, with each team competing against each other to see who had the worst outside shooters of all time, Syracuse started getting the ball inside, and the game was soon over. Christmas continues to look like one of the most improved players in the country of the season, rebounding and scoring inside in dominant fashion. For the first time this year, he sat consistently well from the field, addressing the only weakness and his game to date. Unless you count file trouble. That flared up again today and this first half, so we handled it well and it was not a factor in the second half.

Props to McCullough, who shot the ball well again today and rebounded brilliantly. In recent games he has been playing mostly on the high post. But today, we spent most of his time on the baseline, where he was given open 10 foot jumpers all game long, which he gladly took and made.

The rest of the teams play was on the distinguished. Many bricks were thrown, and it was rare for shop to go in. Caleb Joseph had some good moments but was bothered by a veteran little guard from Holy Cross. He he appears to be getting better feeding the little post, but still suffers from too many careless turnovers.

I don't know what's going on with Silent G, but he is playing very poorly, is a complete mess, and he's a good hypnotist.

Good to see Christian White out there playing with the rest of the team, but he did not do well in his first big test at Taco Time. I know a 10-year-old girl who was very disappointed in his lack of clutch play..

Tom, as mentioned in the last two years...Caitlin Barry is my kid, & it's always very cool to have her mentioned in your "my takes". I go to most all the home games, & I wonder if there will ever be a day in which Caitlin is called upon to do a"big game". I have seen too many anthems to count, but if I could be honest for a second, are there many that are better than Caitlin? Obviously I think not. Please don't get me wrong, we are tremendously happy that she is given the opportunity period. But now having it been her third year, we were (she was) hoping for at least an ACC game. Anyway sorry to carry on, I was just curious on your thoughts about this. Her games are now Pace exhibition, St. Francis (NY) & Holy Cross. I'd love to see her do the anthem with a full house and the students there. The staff is so kind & Caitlin has done the na for them for men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and would do anything they ask of her. Here's hoping she'll get the call one day for a biggie.There is no bigger SU basketball fan than Caitlin, other than all the rest of us. Thanks again Tom!! I really appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
I wish we played to the Dome's advantage and really emphasized scoring.

Homina homina homina

Now that cracked me up. Good one.

Tom, as mentioned in the last two years...Caitlin Barry is my kid, & it's always very cool to have her mentioned in your "my takes". I go to most all the home games, & I wonder if there will ever be a day in which Caitlin is called upon to do a"big game". I have seen too many anthems to count, but if I could be honest for a second, are there many that are better than Caitlin? Obviously I think not. Please don't get me wrong, we are tremendously happy that she is given the opportunity period. But now having it been her third year, we were (she was) hoping for at least an ACC game. Anyway sorry to carry on, I was just curious on your thoughts about this. Her games are now Pace exhibition, St. Francis (NY) & Holy Cross. I'd love to see her do the anthem with a full house and the students there. The staff is so kind & Caitlin has done the na for them for men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and would do anything they ask of her. Here's hoping she'll get the call one day for a biggie. Thanks again Thom I really appreciate your comments.

If the people who make those decisions are like Boeheim, they very well may reward her in her 4th season, like JB has done with Christmas.

Ive had file trouble from time to time myself.

Im not sure if the Silent G being a hypnotist was intended or an autocorrect

Good to see Christian White out there playing with the rest of the team, but he did not do well in his first big test at Taco Time. I know a 10-year-old girl who was very disappointed in his lack of clutch play...

Was the Silent G hypnotist thing intended? I'd say he'd probably benefit from seeing a hypnotist, like my Dad(who is generally against such things) once said about Craig Forth.

Was the Silent G hypnotist thing intended? I'd say he'd probably benefit from seeing a hypnotist, like my Dad(who is generally against such things) once said about Craig Forth.
Maybe he could get a 2-for-1 deal with Cooney.

I love that this is becoming a stat. we had about 10 people at Siracusas in Smyrna GA actively watching a blowout game on a stream over a big screen to see if they could get tacos.

I love that this is becoming a stat. we had about 10 people at Siracusas in Smyrna GA actively watching a blowout game on a stream over a big screen to see if they could get tacos.

Wait, out of towners can get on this too? I feel ripped off for not knowing til now!

Autocorrect or he is using dragon software.

This is an historically bad outside shooting team.

As always tomcat, I find most of your takes to be dead on (for whatever that's worth anyway).

I coached the game a long time and I can tell you from experience that the above referenced statement is going to become painfully obvious as the season wears on. This is not "jumping off the ledge," over reaction commentary, or whatever terms of dismissal some people want to use. This team IS filled with poor shooters, with only a few exceptions. Those shooting percentages are not going to get much better at all with: time, experience, better mechanics, getting in a rhythm, learning to play with each other, getting better shots, having shots fall, luck, whatever. It's not going to happen, IMO.

For the most part, these guys all have good mechanics, good rotation, are not rushing, and are getting good shots. Those would be correctable errors. The tell tale sign is how far off center the misses are. That's a much bigger issue. Sometimes that is a function of strength or fatigue. Most of the time, it is a mark of a poor shooter.

I have heard Booby Knight coach at clinics. One the things he used to preach was about good shooters almost never missing off center by very much. Their misses tend to be a little too short, or rim out. Knight: If you see kids missing way off center, don't let that f@cking kid shoot!

Fair weather town. They won't support a team not ranked in the top 10.

Sad.
Ah, being black Friday had nothing to do with the poor attendance? Seemed like a typical size crowd for a game against a low D1 school and kids aren't in town.

I hope Tomcat never fixes his autocorrect.

I hope Tomcat never fixes his autocorrect.
It isn't autocorrect...for the late night games, I use the speech recognition feature on my iPhone or iPad and dictate my thoughts that way. Just use the basic speech recognition feature that these Apple devices have.

I try to read what the i device thought I said and I try and correct problems, but my overwhelming desire to go to sleep overrides my desire to post something that makes sense. It is harder to see problems when you dictate, because you always get real words...it is just that sometimes, they are not the words you actually said.

Apple says the more you use the feature, the better the device will understand you. I am not sure that is the case. Maybe the problem is my CNY accent. Next time I do this, I am going to imitate Walter Cronkite and see if it makes a difference...

It isn't autocorrect...for the late night games, I use the speech recognition feature on my iPhone or iPad and dictate my thoughts that way. Just use the basic speech recognition feature that these Apple devices have.

I try to read what the i device thought I said and I try and correct problems, but my overwhelming desire to go to sleep overrides my desire to post something that makes sense. It is harder to see problems when you dictate, because you always get real words...it is just that sometimes, they are not the words you actually said.

Apple says the more you use the feature, the better the device will understand you. I am not sure that is the case. Maybe the problem is my CNY accent. Next time I do this, I am going to imitate Walter Cronkite and see if it makes a difference...

Did you mean to call Gbinije a hypnotist?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom