My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Someone defending the Big East and NOT willing to admit its the worst BCS conference. That's a state of denial that they don't make a pill for!! Now I have read it all on this board. Hell must have frozen over. And its NOT a talk radio debate it is what is behind the whole conference re-shuffling. SU, Pitt, and WV getting out of a terrible football conference that is the worst and dying and getting to more stable ground where you can make more money. To pass it off as its nothing shows you aren't looking at the whole picture and are narrow minded.

And I hate to break it to ya but UCONN, Rutgers, Pitt, USF, and CINCY are ONLY decent in the worst conference in the land. Put them in any real conference and they are all a last place team lucky to have 3 or 4 wins total. These aren't decent programs they are below average programs on the same level as SU with the same talent level as SU...just coached up better!

You really need to chill out a bit.

And, if you think that we have the same talent level as Rutgers, USF, Cincy, Pitt or WVU, you're fooling yourself.

You did watch the game yesterday didn't you?

As far as rating conferences is concerned, I just don't have the time or need to go through that process. I'll leave that up to you.

Ahhhhh...SYR is the last place team in the worst conference in the BCS. What issue could you possibly have with that fact?

We suck. Own it.

44cuse

What do you mean "we"?

You speak for yourself - not for me - and certainly not for Syracuse University.

You own what you are.

And, if you think that we have the same talent level as Rutgers, USF, Cincy, Pitt or WVU, you're fooling yourself.

You did watch the game yesterday didn't you?

As far as rating conferences is concerned, I just don't have the time or need to go through that process. I'll leave that up to you.

1) I think we have better talent than Rutgers and USF and equal talent to Pitt. Maybe Cincy is better, but its debatable at best. You can disagree, but once again SU isn't losing because of talent. That is the excuse the Marrone apologists run out when trying to defend his poor job this year with in-game decisions. SU has more or equal talent to the rest of the schools in the Big East.

2) And without a doubt Big East Football is by far the worst BCS conference and ESPN did a piece yesterday with numbers and facts that the Mountain West is better than the Big East this year. The conference is beyond awful. That plays into this. If you can't win or make a bowl in THIS conference THIS year, there are serious issues at hand.

What do you mean "we"?

You speak for yourself - not for me - and certainly not for Syracuse University.

You own what you are.

You know exactly what I meant: "SU Football sucks.". Last place team in the worst BCS Conference.

No way to spin that.

No idea what you are even trying to say? Speaking for the university? What are you even talking about?

Where, in the world, did I say anything about speaking for the university?

44cuse

OPA,

It is OK to allow fellow fans to kvetch and complain when their team melts down to make a promising season turn into an underachieving one. In, yes, a conference that is mediocre.

The better players comment..where are they? Three years in and the former coaches players are dominating the O while the current coaches players are dominating special teams. And both are woefully underachieving. And the discipline on the field - penalties, fumbles, missed assignments - are frustrating from a team that is supposed to be about discipline.

We might need better players. But the current ones need to be lead a lot better.

Where are the better players?

Hopefully, they are listening to what Doug and the University have to offer. And hopefully they are the young players that now dominate our roster who will step up next year e.g. Reddish, Crume, Eskridge, Lynch, Kristoff, et al.

All I know is that to me at least it seemed pretty obvious that yesterday, Cincy had the better talent at RB, at DL, at punter, at DB, at KO and at OL.

The punting and KO advantages in talent alone accounted for Cincy's edge.

The Bearcats won the field position battle all day. That wasn't coaching - it was the ability of the Cincy punter to keep us deep and the inability of our punter to do so. The same dynamic was evident when comparing our KO guy and their KO guy. We were never able to pin Cincy deep in its own territory.

It's that simple in my mind.

Too, yesterday reflected once again, our inability to strike quickly on offense. We - as opposed to Cincy - needed long, sustained drives to score - our margin for error was razor thin because we needed so many plays to get the ball into to the endzone.

Cincy is I think 8-3, right?

They are better than we are right now.

How many times do we have to remind ourselves that last year's team lost its best punter, KO guy, RB, center, interior DL, safeties, WR and LBs?

That has impact.

1) I think we have better talent than Rutgers and USF and equal talent to Pitt. Maybe Cincy is better, but its debatable at best. You can disagree, but once again SU isn't losing because of talent. That is the excuse the Marrone apologists run out when trying to defend his poor job this year with in-game decisions. SU has more or equal talent to the rest of the schools in the Big East.

2) And without a doubt Big East Football is by far the worst BCS conference and ESPN did a piece yesterday with numbers and facts that the Mountain West is better than the Big East this year. The conference is beyond awful. That plays into this. If you can't win or make a bowl in THIS conference THIS year, there are serious issues at hand.

(1) You're dead wrong.

(2) Who cares other than talk radio hosts.

Give it a rest. Same stance for years. Eastern Football is awesome, the Big East is great. P is a "great" coach.

Rarely does any shred of reality get brought into this discussion. As an example: conference rankings.

Ask any college football fan and they will tell you BE is worst BCS conference.

44cuse

maybe someone will sponsor a challenge where some middle aged fat guy tries to get a dance team girls digits in 2 minutes.
same odds. and fwiw pead's 2 punt returns (54 yds.hardly amazing) totally eclipses our net yardage in 40 something tries.

You know exactly what I meant: "SU Football sucks.". Last place team in the worst BCS Conference.

No way to spin that.

No idea what you are even trying to say? Speaking for the university? What are you even talking about?

Where, in the world, did I say anything about speaking for the university?

44cuse

Lets try again. When you say "we suck" you speak for yourself.

Pretty simple.

I for one do not believe that Syracuse Football "sucks."

I am realistic to enough to understand that a process is occurring here - the program is developing. I recall 1986 when Mac went 5-6 and the Sac Mac Pac was calling for his dismissal. Few understood that he was developing a solid corp of players. And that was after six seasons for gosh sakes!

Program building takes time - this is not professional football where players can be purchased or contracts can extend beyond four years.

Your emotions and the emotions of others on this board almost suggest that many of you believed that SU would be a true national contender or player this year or a true BCS bowl team. I think that kind of presumption was groundless and unrealistic.
So you may very well "suck" but I don't and I don't believe Marrone or the team does.

That's all.

(2) Who cares other than talk radio hosts.
Uh the BCS powers that be care which is why they are changing the system. To keep out the bottom feeders like the Big East schools. To cut them OUT of the piece of the pie.

Injuries and no depth are Big Negatives when you only have 2-3 star players.

Put a major project on line this weekend, didn't even get to the game until the 2nd quarter, exhausted and about to go to sleep, so this will be short.

We continue to have no offense. Can get 4 or 5 yards pretty consistently on running plays or passing plays but rarely are able to get more than 10 to 15 yard gains. Get a penalty, a sack or lose yardage on a play and we have to punt. The OL rarely gives the QB time to wait for timing patterns to develop and they struggle to open holes as well. Thought I should note that they run blocked better in the 2nd half. I suspect at least some of that is due to the defense focusing on defending the pass since SU fell steadily behind as the game ensued. The QB overthrew open receivers too many times, at least looked panicked and rushed throws at times. I want to credit Any Bailey with a solid game. He ran really hard out there, broke some tackles and clearly played his heart out. There is no margin for error with this offense, at least not against decent defenses. Nothing new there.

Special teams continue to be the weakest area of the team. We struggle to start drives on the 20 yard line. The other team regularly starts at their 40 yard line or better. It is tough to say which is worse, the KOs or the coverage units. Our punts are consistently short and low and our coverage unit almost never gets near the return man. They can't tackle either. Their punts are consistently higher and longer and if we block anyone, we do it illegally. Hard to imagine worse units. And it has been this way all season. This is the kind of performance that gets people fired. Sadly. this performance with the special teams units is also not a new thing.

Our defense looked pretty good early in the season but has fizzled out since then. Even played troubled offensive teams. Yes Bearcats, that means you and the 22 fans you brought to the Dome from Cincy.

Losing P Thomas late has hurt. S Thomas hasn't been himself all season...the early injury has put a damper on his play since he has returned. Maybe he returned too soon? The LBs overrun and miss tackles almost every play and the DL gets blown off the LOS too often.

To my eye, Cincinnati had a major speed advantage. When they got a guy a seam, he was gone. When we got one of our players a seam, he was gone too. For 5 yards. Have to get more speed on the field.

Thought the defense gave up around halftime. Didn't gang tackle, a lot of players went through the motions, too many instances where we had a play blown up for a loss behind the LOS except no one came to help out and the guy got away for a long gain. The offense executed badly and the play calling was not good but they at least tried. The OL played physical in the 2nd half and were not far from pulling off a number of long TD drives.

Maybe 25K in the stands today. They made some noise for a small crowd. Band had 9 tubas and put on a nice Motown influenced halftime show.

The primo where a fat middle aged guy is given a chance to win a car if he can make a 50 yard FG is ridiculous. Run promos where the fan has a chance of being successful...something like this is so far fetched it is just an embarrassing waste of time.

Frustrating team to watch. Frustrating season. I know it might sound crazy but I think the team next year is going to be a lot better. I hope so. This has been ugly to watch. Really ugly.
They had better Burn their Cleates now. IMO The type of Qb's they have coming up with Boyld the 3rd stringer as of now begs for a Different Offense that I dont think DM would want to change to

Lets try again. When you say "we suck" you speak for yourself.

Pretty simple.

I for one do not believe that Syracuse Football "sucks."

I am realistic to enough to understand that a process is occurring here - the program is developing. I recall 1986 when Mac went 5-6 and the Sac Mac Pac was calling for his dismissal. Few understood that he was developing a solid corp of players. And that was after six seasons for gosh sakes!

Program building takes time - this is not professional football where players can be purchased or contracts can extend beyond four years.

Your emotions and the emotions of others on this board almost suggest that many of you believed that SU would be a true national contender or player this year or a true BCS bowl team. I think that kind of presumption was groundless and unrealistic.
So you may very well "suck" but I don't and I don't believe Marrone or the team does.

That's all.

LOL...you will construe literally ANYTHING to make some really weird points. Let me get more literal for you: "Syracuse football sucks this year." There. You want what I spelled out completely clearly?

Still waiting for the explanation of how the last place team in the worst BCS Conference does not=suck.

And, btw, way to put words in people's mouths. It's an unfortunate waste of time that I now have to monitor this thread because you have hijacked it for yet another agenda riddled post. Nowhere, ever...did I imply that I said we should be farther along than we are. As a matter of FACT, I have said we would be 6-6 this season all season long.

Nowhere did I say we should be a national championship contender. And nowhere, not once, have i EVER said anything about Marrone deserving anything less than AT LEAST one more year. So that is just pure garbage. More of of your decade long over reaction to anything that does not go completely in line with your stance.

Saying "we suck" is a term used by ans all the time. But because you are so freaking defensive, you need to jump in and say "don't lump me in that." So then when I clarified for you, you STILL came back and did not get it. Here is the evidence of that: "So you may very well "suck" but I don't and I don't believe Marrone or the team does."

Ahhh...let's see...I already clarified I was not talking about you (even though that was in response to your overly literal read of a figure of speech) or me...but instead this years Syracuse Football team. And, they do suck. Last place team...worst BCS conference. That sucks.

44cuse

The preseason talk on Nassib was that he had no excuses this year. He has an experienced receiver corps, a relatively stable offensive line, and has a firm understanding of the system. Boy-oh-boy....that worked out really well, didn't it.

The scary thought is that with the loss of senior talent, we could be in a much worse place next year.

It's usually not worth replying to these woe-is-us comments, but who cares what the preseason talk on Nassib was? How does that bear on reality?

Anyone who's watched this team knows we have not a stable offensive line, but a mediocre one. And "experience" hasn't helped receivers who can't get open and who drop half a dozen balls each game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom