My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This has to be a quick one...

I am trying to remember another game where the other team was in control the entire game, Syracuse was never able to get ahead through 40 minutes, even briefly, where they got a win anyway.

There have been a lot of great SU comebacks over the years...including the last home game against the Hokies, where they had a collapse down the stretch. But this one was different. The Hokies always had a answer this game, and never got a big lead. They were just always in control and seemingly always had the ability to answer an SU run to get the game close with a run of their own.

It would have been really easy for this team to lie down and take the loss. VT pretty well. They got some crazy breaks and bad shooters make crazy shots. They had a guy who never plays and appeared to be 1/4 opposum to have a career day.

Kerry%20Blackshear.JPG
1024px-Opossum_2.jpg

To their credit, Allen is a good athlete (horrible defender) and the Bibbs kid has a lot of talent. Some of the other players are decent complimentary players. They played solid man defense, rarely gave our outside shooters good looks and seemed to contest every inside shot as well.

We had a lot of possessions where we just did our weave, probing for weaknesses, found none and were forced to put up a bad 3 point shot under pressure with the shot clock about to expire. It was pretty painful to watch and a big part of it was caused by some solid, excellent fundamentals by the Hokie players on defense.

I think a part of it was due to fatigue as well. Cooney is normally an energizer bunny out there but from the start of the game, he looked subdued and appeared to be running at least than 100%. Maybe he was sick or had an asthma attack or something. He just wasn't his normal self.

Anyway, this game was largely won on the effort of Silent G, who IMHO, is cementing himself as a player who should be on the ACC first team all conference. The offense we got was largely due to him, be it slashing into the paint and dishing for an easy hoop, taking the shot, making key outside shots, getting steals and baskets, etc. He was, IMHO, clearly the best player on the floor and the Hokies had no answer for him. My lasting memory from this game will be the reactions Seth Allen had every time Mike would burn him and score another basket. Watch the replay. His little spin, whirl of his arms and dropping of his head was very enjoyable to watch. Again and again.

I don't know how this team could get a win with TC so incredibly ineffective, Malachi struggling most of the game to even get a shot off, TL again very reluctant to take a shot (he did a nice job finishing with slams when he got the ball down low though), DC2 largely ineffective, and even Silent G struggling to get good shots. If Silent G was the player of the game, Tyler Roberson was a really close second. He did a lot of dirty work in the trenches, got a lot of rebounds to keep the game close, especially on the offensive end, had some big scores and made some big plays on defense too.

Malachi again had a huge 3 to give us a chance to win. That seems to happen just about every game.

I criticized Trevor for not hitting many shots in big situations. He did it last night with the big 3 to get SU off to a great start in OT. That doesn't absolve him from all the misses earlier but it was good to see him get a big shot to fall. I think he will be well served to focus on taking 3s from the perimeter the rest of the season, or breakaway layups. He is really hurting the team when he penetrates a bit and takes a short to mid range jumper. He just isn't good at it and it needs to stop.

Very happy for Mike. The 3 at the end of the game is one of those moments that will stay with SU fans for a long time and help to define his career at Syracuse. To do it in a game like this, where he faced pressure defense almost all game long, playing 40+ minutes in his third game in six games, was really impressive. The kid is a warrior, and brings the swag, as he promised he would.

I think this was a trap game and getting a game was huge. The team has done a great job staying together and getting better through some serious adversity. It is a tribute to the seniors, the rest of the players and the coaching staff.

Well done everyone.

Last edited:
I think Mike's last few minutes and the OT helped erase what was not his finest effort.

This has to be a quick one...

I am trying to remember another game where the other team was in control the entire game, Syracuse was never able to get ahead through 40 minutes, even briefly, where they got a win anyway.

as I recall, SU did not lead in the 6 OT game until that 6th OT against UConn, just one of the many crazy stats from that historic game. And yes, TRobs 15 rebounds is largely going unnoticed, but he does all the dirty work to give his teammates a chance. They have to do a better job of finding him when he is open, and he has to do a better job of finishing when he gets the ball for this team to keep improving.

UnderHisOwnPower said:
as I recall, SU did not lead in the 6 OT game until that 6th OT against UConn, just one of the many crazy stats from that historic game. And yes, TRobs 15 rebounds is largely going unnoticed, but he does all the dirty work to give his teammates a chance. They have to do a better job of finding him when he is open, and he has to do a better job of finishing when he gets the ball for this team to keep improving.

We didn't have a lead in any overtime. We were actually up late in the game and it was pretty back and forth.

I think Mike's last few minutes and the OT helped erase what was not his finest effort.

Inclined to agree. Gbinije's developed into an interesting player; if he played on the typical Syracuse team (and had developed this skill-set), he'd be a huge asset - an athletic small forward playing alongside a point guard and an off-guard with a handle. Imagine him with Rautins and Triche/Scoop (he's not the finisher Wes was, but he'd be yet another guy who can handle the ball and make the occasional good pass).

Unfortunately he's been stuck playing out of position and a lot of our early struggles last night resulted from this. #11 was big and quick enough to lock him down and Mike wasn't able to get shots for anyone (or even run a set in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock).

We might take those huge shots down the stretch for granted, though. Nearly every game he makes deep shots with a high degree of difficulty, and suddenly the season's well over half gone and he's still making them at a very high percentage. It's too bad that we'll never see him with a complementary cast, but he's making some good plays to win games and I think history will look favorably on his tenure here.

game was long enough where the 3 point % finally regressed closer to the mean

surprising that it ended up at 33.3%

richardson and cooney continue to struggle inside the line

game was long enough where the 3 point % finally regressed closer to the mean

surprising that it ended up at 33.3%

richardson and cooney continue to struggle inside the line

Richardson only struggling inside the line because he continues to take bad shots. When he improves his IQ, he is going to be a monster. I can see him going for 20+ a game next year

Richardson only struggling inside the line because he continues to take bad shots. When he improves his IQ, he is going to be a monster. I can see him going for 20+ a game next year
one of his shots that got rejected will be a teachable moment. one of those eye openers about how athletic guys in college are compared to high school/aau

He's going to be a superstar next year. He'll be a legit ACC POY candidate and a 1st team AA.

We had a lot of possessions where we just did our weave, probing for weaknesses, found none and were forced to put up a bad 3 point shot under pressure with the shot clock about to expire. It was pretty painful to watch
yep

He's going to be a superstar next year. He'll be a legit ACC POY candidate and a 1st team AA.
I hate to see people use the word superstar but he oozes talent. It was like when we watched Wes Johnson for a season. He was just so much better than just about everyone else.

"I think he will be well served to focus on taking 3s from the perimeter the rest of the season, or breakaway layups. He is really hurting the team when he penetrates a bit and takes a short to mid range jumper. He just isn't good at it and it needs to stop."

I don't agree. I think if he's missing from outside he needs to look to alternatives. I think he plays better when threes are 50% of his game at best and drives to the basket for lay-ups, passes or pull-ups the rest of the time. He's more of a scorer than he is a shooter but he tries to be a dead-eye shooter which he really isn't. It's as if Eric Devendorf was trying to play like GMAC.

"I think he will be well served to focus on taking 3s from the perimeter the rest of the season, or breakaway layups. He is really hurting the team when he penetrates a bit and takes a short to mid range jumper. He just isn't good at it and it needs to stop."

I don't agree. I think if he's missing from outside he needs to look to alternatives. I think he plays better when threes are 50% of his game at best and drives to the basket for lay-ups, passes or pull-ups the rest of the time. He's more of a scorer than he is a shooter but he tries to be a dead-eye shooter which he really isn't. It's as if Eric Devendorf was trying to play like GMAC.

It is a mixed bag. Cooney isn't good at finishing his drives, or assisting a big off a drive. For a good long-range shooter, he sure has no touch on those shorter pull-ups. He needs to drive because he can get fouled, and because he has to show his defender he can do more than run the perimeter and jack up 3s.

But will there be enough balls to go around next year? I believe we will have the most balanced scoring team in a long time.

Hey now

Inclined to agree. Gbinije's developed into an interesting player; if he played on the typical Syracuse team (and had developed this skill-set), he'd be a huge asset - an athletic small forward playing alongside a point guard and an off-guard with a handle. Imagine him with Rautins and Triche/Scoop (he's not the finisher Wes was, but he'd be yet another guy who can handle the ball and make the occasional good pass).

Unfortunately he's been stuck playing out of position ....

Another way of looking at this -- imagine Gbinije playing PG, with a very good second guard (Dion or Rautins), and a genuine center. Gbinije is a major asset wherever he plays, and he presents match-up problems when he is at PG. The problem is the lack of inside defense and inside scoring from the bigs, and then the strengths/weaknesses of our 2G.
You could have a good PG, MR at 2G, G at SF -- but you would still need someone who could defend the opposing bigs.

Another way of looking at this -- imagine Gbinije playing PG, with a very good second guard (Dion or Rautins), and a genuine center. Gbinije is a major asset wherever he plays, and he presents match-up problems when he is at PG. The problem is the lack of inside defense and inside scoring from the bigs, and then the strengths/weaknesses of our 2G.
You could have a good PG, MR at 2G, G at SF -- but you would still need someone who could defend the opposing bigs.

Any sort of Gbinije/Rautins pairing would be really good.

He presents a size advantage in matchups against most college point guards, but I wouldn't quite say he's an asset at that position - he's too easily guarded by aggressive man defenders and anyone who can hedge or switch ball screens. As a secondary or even tertiary ball-handler (like he'd be on probably 90% of Boeheim's teams), he'd be a huge asset and match-up problem: someone who hits deep contested shots, drives decisively, and can make a pass without absorbing as much ball pressure or defensive attention.

Would've been nice to see him with a full season playing alongside Howard and Richardson, as you note. Throw in a real post threat and that is a good offense.

The SU-GTown BET tourney game during GMac's famous run - I believe SU was trailing the entire game... even down 15-20 at one point... before Devo gets a game-winning breakaway layup in the final seconds.

one of his shots that got rejected will be a teachable moment. one of those eye openers about how athletic guys in college are compared to high school/aau
It's something you think guys would learn, but some players continue to drive into the lane for layup attempts against much bigger defenders. It shouldn't take four years of getting served to think, "Hey, maybe I should pull up for a short jumper instead" or dump it off to a trailer on a break for an easy dunk. Hopefully, MR learns faster.

It's something you think guys would learn, but some players continue to drive into the lane for layup attempts against much bigger defenders. It shouldn't take four years of getting served to think, "Hey, maybe I should pull up for a short jumper instead" or dump it off to a trailer on a break for an easy dunk. Hopefully, MR learns faster.

Yeah, didn't see this mentioned, but our two-on-one breaks (when we get them) are so fundamentally unsound. We were fortunate to get free throws out of those two Cooney breaks last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom