my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Yesterday started early as again I was wide awake at 4am thinking about the game like I have since for my entire life. Dad slept in which for him means 530 am and together we hung out by the lake talking about the upcoming game and what a huge win this would be for the program and the community. Both of us were 50 50 on pulling it off as we knew that Purdue was tough. My dad mentioned that the Purdue kid had some Brees in him and I agreed. My Brother-in-law drove and we picked up another friend who graduated from SU in 70 and has been a big supporter ever since.
Tailgate at Manley was fun. Omelets really good bacon and all of the usual libations which I surprisingly held off on.

My concern in addition to how good Purdue is was the noon

start. I personally like an early start, but it seems like our teams do better and especially our fans as the day gets older. If nights bring out the best in SU fans than I would say Nooners are the opposite. Crowd was good to start the game we are in the 320-322 sections and as usual they were ready to go.

Here are my random notes and observations on the game.

First, I felt as if something was wrong with Tucker. He seemed slow and tentative. Didn't have the burst that he usually has, and I noticed the same thing during the puppy's game. Hope that he is ok as he seems to have lost a step. Maybe it's the fact that both the dogs and Purdue were dedicated to stopping him but I'm not sure he looks off.

Shrader was obviously off himself. Credit to Purdue for playing really good physical coverage on our guys maybe too physical as it looked like they were grabbing every crossing route to slow it down but still he wasn't himself.

As the game progressed, I kept thinking to myself that we were going to need a few breaks to win this one. I didn't think that we could keep pace and was praying that something would go our way to turn the MO in our favor. More on that later.

The miss by Allen was huge. Not sure if Shrader would have scored but he would have been inside the 10 for sure. The field goal miss was a result of a poor snap and Barron did a good job getting it down, but it messed up the timing just enough to cause the miss. Can't have that.

Punting my beloved punting i could hug this kid. Give him a vegemite sandwich or two as I think that we found ourselves a punter. Same on kick offs. Kids got a cannon love when we have great kickers as it makes a huge difference and I believe helped us win this game.

Other points that I found to be of interest were White not wanting to put much pressure on the QB in the first and second half. He went heavy on coverage, and I guess it worked out. Second half he dialed it up and our CBs did an excellent job staying with some very good receivers. Their stud will play on Sundays, and I don't think that we will face a better throwing QB this year. Dad was on the money the kid has more than a little Brees in him. Total gun slinger.

As the game wore on moved to the dramatic finish there are a couple of things that surprised me. Number one were the calls from the Refs. They actually went in our favor. I credit that to Karma but most importantly to the complete ass that Jeff is as a coach. His demeanor and the way he acted most of the game caught up to him and his team and it couldn't happen to a bigger more deserving meatass. So glad that he lost the game for his team. COACHING MATTERS.

My other thought is that we might have wanted to run more clock in between plays but i guess that could have taken us out of our flow. Who knows but I didn't think our clock management was very good up two scores.

As to the last play, Wow. Great route and as good a throw under pressure as i have seen an SU QB make. I watched the press stuff this morning and Gadsen said that he knew the pressure was coming so that he had to make his breaks faster, in essence get to the point of ball faster. Shrader said that he basically threw it to a spot and they both mentioned the work they put in over the summer. Dino mentions the WR coach. Without the work the kids put in, the knowledge that both the Shrader and Gadsen had as a result of good coaching that play doesn't happen.
COACHING MATTERS!

As to the kickoff after the score why not squib?

For me yesterday was another beautiful day with my father friends and our SU community. The game goes into my top 10 list. The Syracuse community is hungry for a winner. JW made a great call-in retaining Dino and Dino and him have done a fantastic job putting together our best staff since P was on the hill. Syracuse is a football town. 50 years of greatness from JB still hasn't changed that. I believe that we are going to crush Virginia next week and go into the NCS game 5 perfect. I'll be there again this coming Friday and Ill be there when Game Day comes to Town!!

Last point nice orange sunset on the lake last night.

Go Cuse!

that final kick should have been a squib. Kicking it gave them the ball at the 25.. scuibbing would have been the same but also taken 2-5 secs away
Kicking it that close could have been an almost onside kick. Pop the ball into the air (the one or two bounce kicks kickers use) around the 10-15 yard line or so, and it’s a 25-30 yard sprint for the kicking team. There is risk, too, with potentially less regard for containment.
Eh, not suggesting it, just freewheeling thoughts in the afterglow.

Last edited:
I would kick that through the end zone 100% of the time. It is a broken play. With only 7 seconds, lets let our defense be set and back so that nothing bad can happen. For me, kicking it through the end zone is a easy call.

I would kick that through the end zone 100% of the time. It is a broken play. With only 7 seconds, lets let our defense be set and back so that nothing bad can happen. For me, kicking it through the end zone is a easy call.
Our HOF specials coach agrees with you.

I'm sure this has been asked, but why on earth did Alford's sideline catch not count? Would it have counted if he just dragged his toe inbounds but the rest of the foot didn't come down? It was very confusing to me.

Toe heel is what they said not sure

I'm sure this has been asked, but why on earth did Alford's sideline catch not count? Would it have counted if he just dragged his toe inbounds but the rest of the foot didn't come down? It was very confusing to me.
The ref's explanation--the toe-heel combination is considered a single act, so when the heel hit the sideline, Alford was out of bounds. I had never heard that interpretation before.

Last edited:
Years ago, I heard Mac make that exact observation.

that final kick should have been a squib. Kicking it gave them the ball at the 25.. scuibbing would have been the same but also taken 2-5 secs away
Only time for one play either way.

The ref's explanation--the toe-heel combination is considered a single act, ao when the heel hit the sideline, Alford was out of bounds. I had never heard that interpretation before.
I'm still puzzled on how people think Alford landed in bounds. I've never heard of/seen a catch being called in bounds when the heel is on the white.

Tip toe is what they taught us.
If the whole thing lands and some touches white, it’s OOB.
I screwed this up in a freshman game and never forgave myself.

Kicking it that close could have been an almost onside kick. Pop the ball into the air (the one or two bounce kicks kickers use) around the 10-15 yard line or so, and it’s a 25-30 yard sprint for the kicking team. There is risk, too, with potentially less regard for containment.
Eh, not suggesting it, just freewheeling thoughts in the afterglow.
Onside kick was a no brainer, kills a few seconds, 10-15% chance you recover it, if they recover it’s not at the 25 with no risk as I do believe the receiving team cant do anything to hurt you as thought the rules say they cannot advance the ball once recovered. No risk all reward. Friggin no brainer

This is what separates the great coaches against ones that struggle, love love Dino but man o man not to know to do this.
7ADBE542-D033-4828-B0A8-8677D42A7FA6.png

Last edited:
His heel came down on the sideline. The replay showed it clearly. I was looking straight down at the play when it happened and I thought right away that if he came down onto his heel that it was getting called back. It's why I didn't cheer.

The ref's explanation--the toe-heel combination is considered a single act, ao when the heel hit the sideline, Alford was out of bounds. I had never heard that interpretation before.
I've heard it. I think I saw it in another game this year. If he had been able to just land on his toe and then hop out of bounds without the heel touching, it would've been a catch.

Onside kick was a no brainer,kills a few seconds, 10-15% chance you recover it, with no risk in that I do believe the rules stipulate the receiving team cannot advance the ball once recovered. No risk all reward.
View attachment 220177
Definitely risk involved. Receiving team can return the kick. The kicking team cannot.
UNC returned one for a TD this year against Appalachian State.

Onside kick was a no brainer, kills a few seconds, 10-15% chance you recover it, if they recover it’s not at the 25 with no risk in that the receiving team can do anything to hurt you as they cannot advance the ball once recovered. No risk all reward. Friggin no brainer

This is what separates the great coaches against ones that struggle, love love Dino but man o man not to know to do this.
View attachment 220177
That rule is for the kicking team, not the recieving team. The recieving team can return it.

Definitely risk involved. Receiving team can return the kick. The kicking team cannot.
UNC returned one for a TD this year against Appalachian State.

Ha now I know why there’s a delete button on this site! Lol Oops.

But So yeah some risk, gonna die on this hill, wouldn’t do it with too much time left then, 7 seconds part is key, do it takes 3-4 seconds off the clock, keep a couple guys back 5-10 yards so no risk of a return.

Ha now I know why there’s a delete button on this site! Lol Oops.

But So yeah some risk, gonna die on this hill, wouldn’t do it with too much time left then, 7 seconds part is key, do it takes 3-4 seconds off the clock, keep a couple guys back 5-10 yards so no risk of a return.
But Purdue only ran one play after the kick so that 3-4 seconds off the clock would have been immaterial.

Onside kick was a no brainer, kills a few seconds, 10-15% chance you recover it, if they recover it’s not at the 25 with no risk in that the receiving team can do anything to hurt you as they cannot advance the ball once recovered. No risk all reward. Friggin no brainer

View attachment 220177
I think you need to read what you attached. The KICKING team cannot advance the kick. The receiving team can.

But Purdue only ran one play after the kick so that 3-4 seconds off the clock would have been immaterial.
As it turned out yes. But that was a stupid play for them to run. What we did Gave them a chance to do what they Should have done which is run a 15 yard sideline play taking 4-5 seconds off the clock. In the one play left, with that qb and that nfl arm could’ve launched a final Hail Mary for a chance.

Gotta love sports message boards for stuff like this! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom