my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

There were times that it looked like our OL was doing a great job protecting GS. Look again and you might see the scheme was designed to keep GS in the pocket. Rather than working to get upfield and attacking the QB, the DL takes a passive approach cutting off running lanes and keeping the QB in the pocket. We used to call this a “buzz” technique; hands on your OL and eyes on the QB. Take away his escape routes while squeezing the pocket. Also allows the DL to jump and knock down passes. Did Clemson DL block 3 passes yesterday?

Behind this some good man coverage and combo coverages (brackets and or man/zone combinations).

What happened in the second half? Clemson sent their future NFL DL to attack and we struggled to protect while Clemson used spies on GS and ST at different times (mix it up). Play man on most of our receivers or TE’s and bracket or double cover a threat like OG (don’t treat him like a TE).

Man to man, Clemson has better athletes.
- Their DL is better than our OL
- LB’s are good enough athletes and big enough to spy on GS and ST.
- DB’s were able to were after able to cover our WRs in man or zone combinations; our WRs had difficulty getting separation on crossing routes.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

Disagree. The 2nd half Clemson was getting into the backfield at will. It was disrupting our passing game. So your solution is to keep doing what you are doing? Great coaching skills. Getting Shrader out in space at least gives you a chance of him being able to run. Same thing happened vs FSU. I am not saying do it every play, but you need to try it when what you are doing has failed miserably for 6 straight drives.

Disagree. The 2nd half Clemson was getting into the backfield at will. It was disrupting our passing game. So your solution is to keep doing what you are doing? Great coaching skills. Getting Shrader out in space at least gives you a chance of him being able to run. Same thing happened vs FSU. I am not saying do it every play, but you need to try it when what you are doing has failed miserably for 6 straight drives.
I dont know what you are disagreeing with. I see you made a response about getting Shrader in space. They tried to do that but Im still not sure how that applies to my comment.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I don't know why syracuse didn't try to grab Colby Young 6'6 WIDE RECEIVER ,from Binghamton NY. He starts for Miami and is kicking ass 3 touchdown the last 2 games...
It wasn't just Syracuse. No one wanted him out of HS.

I had him as the 29th best prospect in the state. He went to Lackawanna JUCO in Scranton instead, where he blew up. Got offers from Pitt, VT and Miami. Just as an aside, I think we do a rotten job canvasing the JUCOs in the Northeast. We do not get our fair share of the BCS talent that comes out of these schools.

I would think with the situation in Miami, Colbie would be a candidate to transfer, and if he does, I bet his first choice would be to Syracuse. Players that transfer tend to pick places closer to home.

It has to be tough losing some much and playing in an empty stadium so far from home. They are 3-4 and I do not think they will be favored to win even one of the final 5 games of the season.

There were times that it looked like our OL was doing a great job protecting GS. Look again and you might see the scheme was designed to keep GS in the pocket. Rather than working to get upfield and attacking the QB, the DL takes a passive approach cutting off running lanes and keeping the QB in the pocket. We used to call this a “buzz” technique; hands on your OL and eyes on the QB. Take away his escape routes while squeezing the pocket. Also allows the DL to jump and knock down passes. Did Clemson DL block 3 passes yesterday?

Behind this some good man coverage and combo coverages (brackets and or man/zone combinations).

What happened in the second half? Clemson sent their future NFL DL to attack and we struggled to protect while Clemson used spies on GS and ST at different times (mix it up). Play man on most of our receivers or TE’s and bracket or double cover a threat like OG (don’t treat him like a TE).

Man to man, Clemson has better athletes.
- Their DL is better than our OL
- LB’s are good enough athletes and big enough to spy on GS and ST.
- DB’s were able to cover our WRs in man or zone combinations; our WRs had difficulty getting separation on crossing routes.

Expect to see similar defensive schemes as the season progresses until we develop a counter attack.
I think that is exactly what happened and I was surprised Clemson wasn't in attack mode all day. They talked it up but I think they were surprised GS could outrun the angles of their LB's, forcing them to go more into attack mode which obviously worked.

It wasn't just Syracuse. No one wanted him out of HS.

I had him as the 29th best prospect in the state. He went to Lackawanna JUCO in Scranton instead, where he blew up. Got offers from Pitt, VT and Miami. Just as an aside, I think we do a rotten job canvasing the JUCOs in the Northeast. We do not get our fair share of the BCS talent that comes out of these schools.

I would think with the situation in Miami, Colbie would be a candidate to transfer, and if he does, I bet his first choice would be to Syracuse. Players that transfer tend to pick places closer to home.

It has to be tough losing some much and playing in an empty stadium so far from home. They are 3-4 and I do not think they will be favored to win even one of the final 5 games of the season.

Is he definitely better than Gadsden and Jones? I don't know. Not ready to call that kid a stud. Had a good game vs Duke. Lets see if he keeps it up.

I think that is exactly what happened and I was surprised Clemson wasn't in attack mode all day. They talked it up but I think they were surprised GS could outrun the angles of their LB's, forcing them to go more into attack mode which obviously worked.
yup. It was a great adjustment.

Is he definitely better than Gadsden and Jones? I don't know. Not ready to call that kid a stud. Had a good game vs Duke. Lets see if he keeps it up.
Does he have to be better? It would be nice to have multiple options for the other team to worry about.

Does he have to be better? It would be nice to have m but multiple options for the other team to worry about.
Agree but every kid that catches a few balls for another P5 team is a difference maker. Some seem to think that.

Last edited:
I have a hard time saying Cuse was “clearly” the better team. Clemson did go up and down the field against us. Ran way more plays but turned it over 4 times. They were about to punch it in at the end of the third. Did we match them for 3 quarters…..yes. Were we clearly the better team…not in my opinion. If Duce doesn’t punch that ball out from DJ inside the 5, that’s a 14 point turnaround in their favor. We had 40 yards of offense in the second half before that last drive when they sagged in to a prevent until we got down to the 30. They shut Cuse down in the second half. Props to our kids. Damn proud of them and we showed we are a big boy football team. But clearly better than Clemson…..I don’t see that.

We weren't the better team. We were the better team for one half.

I don't care what your argument is otherwise. You don't go up double digits on a team on 4 turnovers and then choke and lose down the stretch as the "better team".

It was a choke-job implosion against a really good team that made the adjustments they needed on defense to eviscerate our gameplan on O... and we didn't adjust effectively, bungled key plays that should have been made, shot ourselves in the foot with dumb penalties, and were rendered anemic.

It was a difficult watch as we were the better team for a large portion of the game - but in the end, we imploded and the better team won.

Moving on...

yup. It was a great adjustment.

If you watched the interview right at the end of the half that Dabo had with the very attractive reporter, there were two things going into the half he was very upset about. One, the mistakes and turnovers and "self inflicted wounds." And, two, knowing about Shrader, what they would do and not staying on him, etc. To me, it appeared that in the locker room Dino simply was going to reaffirm and stress the original game plan. His guys obviously listened to him and carried it out accordingly as planned to a T in the 2nd half.

If you watched the interview right at the end of the half that Dabo had with the very attractive reporter, there were two things going into the half he was very upset about. One, the mistakes and turnovers and "self inflicted wounds." And, two, knowing about Shrader, what they would do and not staying on him, etc. To me, it appeared that in the locker room Dino simply was going to reaffirm and stress the original game plan. His guys obviously listened to him and carried it out accordingly as planned to a T in the 2nd half.
I agree. Clemson executed their plan better than SU did. That's why they've won 38 straight at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom