My two cents | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

Good post. Agree totally but need to ask question since I am not a basketball player. Does a press need to expose our center? It so then we need to pull Jesse so he does not pick up fouls. Tonight's early press had Jesse at 4 fouls before the 10 minute mark.

There are many ways to press. You don't have to put all 4 players in the front court, like we do.

You could put 3 in the front court, and one at mid-court to break up a fast break before it ever gets to the center as the last line of defense.

Or you could go with a 2-2-1 zone press like Pitino used to use, and then fall back into a 2-3, when he was at Louisville. I think the vintage UCLA teams under Coach Wooden also used to use a 2-2-1 zone press.

I agree and need to over emphasize we need Hima on the back end. I really cringed when Jesse picked up unnecessarily number 4 last night while press was on. Maybe even play Brown at 5 for the press.

We also don't have to put all 4 guys in the front court. Our press is really intended to get the turnover high up the floor, or get the other team running (hopefully) out of control, leading to turnovers trying to make the home run pass.

It's not that fundamentally sound. It's really meant to introduce an element of chaos into the game.

We also don't have to put all 4 guys in the front court. Our press is really intended to get the turnover high up the floor, or get the other team running (hopefully) out of control, leading to turnovers trying to make the home run pass.

It's not that fundamentally sound. It's really meant to introduce an element of chaos into the game.
Kind of redundent!!! Didn't you post this before???

jim has tied his wagon and legacy to the zone. it's his calling card. and even when it's
clearly not working he can't kick the habit. too old and stubborn . it's become who he is.
in-game adjustments and strategy (x's and o's) is just not where it needs to be overall, imo

at this point in his career, JB almost always gets there by the time March rolls around but imo he's just kinda lost the plot in way too many games and/or just been too stubborn/formulaic/unable to adjust appropriately kind of as a norm

when you hear him talk in pressers he clearly still gets it right analytically (for the most part)...at least when he isn't being sarcastic/deflectionary...

he just sticks with losing schemes and styles of play waaaay too long in-game or doesnt have any viable plan B or C when the other team starts eating his lunch.

Some of the teams and opp0nents can literally get any shot they want vs zone, for example...and he only switches out of it if his team is down 20+

this season, the team has pieces and weapons...needs to get the subs and lineups right

i mean, i get it that its like 6 or 7 freshman and thats always going to be an issue

but the tried and true "rules" JB follows are fitting less and less as the game evolves imo..the "steph curry effect" has been very detrimental to the viability of the zone imo

JB needs to be more adaptable and quicker to make the right adjustments imo...

not saying its easy but losing to teams like bryant and colgate etc still shouldnt be happening.

and gotta think the st johns and pitt games were also winnable as well.

I was answering somebody else's question. Didn't realize it was the same thread.
Understand. Done it a few times myself. Bouncing around at times, forget what thread I am in!! Merry Christmas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom