My two cents | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Not sure what is happening in practice but during games Brown is our best forward. He needs to play. Bell is ok but he is one dimensional and doesn't rebound or play very good D. Benny is average at everything, exceptional at nothing.
In life effort matters. The effort kids on this team are jesse, cope , brown, mintz, jac,
Joe is streaky with his effort. Does well when the crowd is into it.
Benny, Bell not so much.
I posted this last game and tonight solidifies this thought.
Jim needs to press occasionally to get the kids into a higher gear. A higher effort level. The press does this naturally. It speeds the game. Creates pace. I think JB needs to use the press as an effort tool. It works.

Going forward i want more Brown, Copeland. Less Benny and Bell.
Switch those four players minutes and we win more games.
Effort matters.

Not sure what is happening in practice but during games Brown is our best forward. He needs to play. Bell is ok but he is one dimensional and doesn't rebound or play very good D. Benny is average at everything, exceptional at nothing.
In life effort matters. The effort kids on this team are jesse, cope , brown, mintz, jac,
Benny, Bell not so much.
Jim needs to press occasionally to get the kids into a higher gear. A higher effort level. The press does this naturally. It speeds the game. Creates pace. I think JB needs to use the press as an effort tool. It works.

Effort matters.
Good post. Agree totally but need to ask question since I am not a basketball player. Does a press need to expose our center? It so then we need to pull Jesse so he does not pick up fouls. Tonight's early press had Jesse at 4 fouls before the 10 minute mark.

Good post. Agree totally but need to ask question since I am not a basketball player. Does a press need to expose our center? It so then we need to pull Jesse so he does not pick up fouls. Tonight's early press had Jesse at 4 fouls before the 10 minute mark.
IMO it was a bad time to press with him in. If you are going to press, put Hima in there for a few minutes and see how it goes. Obviously I want Jesse to play as much as possible but it was basically guaranteed he picked up 4 by 15’ when we went to the press.

Benny, Bell not so much.

Effort matters.
I’m one of the charter members of the Maliq Brown Fan Club and if it were up to me, he would start. Having said that, I understand why JB continues to go with Bell and Williams. They give us our highest ceiling…I’m just not confident we’ll ever reach it. Once JB is convinced of the same, I expect Brown to start from that point forward.

I am not sure anyone brings effort all the time on this team.

For me - Jesse has to be good to great every single night or we have no chance. He floats in and out too much. He's easily our best player. We need mental and physical max every second from him.

I agree the press needs to be used to create tempo and get the blood flowing. I’d like to see some mix of press, man, 2-3 and 1-3-1 just like he did at the end of last year that had success. It was awesome.

That's funny and I agree with you but will never happen
It's going to be unorganized chaos anyway. Might as well go high variance. Team doesn't have the shooting to just trade half court possessions

JB’s press has no rules. It’s all about getting steals. Good pressing teams will get some steals, but it’s not the end all. Pressing can create tempo and also force opposing teams to play differently. You could see last night that it changed the way Pitt played. You don’t gamble on stealing a pass unless there is a great double team, not just a good one. The farther you are from the double team allows you to be the farthest away from your man. A great double allows you to shoot the gap and make a steal. SU’s press gambles on everything and leaves Jesse all by himself. Great pressing teams make steals on the other end of the court, but that takes extreme effort to run back to make a play. I’ve never seen this from a SU pressing team. It’s either in the front or not at all.

It would be nice if more analysis was applied around playing certain teams.

Pitt averages almost 14 TO a game. That's a low hanging fruit flag if there ever was one.

Illinois averages 15 a game.

Monmouth was averaging 17 a game.

St Johns 14 a game despite being a press team themselves.

Ville is averaging 16 a game..

I'm just saying...

It would be nice if more analysis was applied around playing certain teams.

Pitt averages almost 14 TO a game. That's a low hanging fruit flag if there ever was one.

Illinois averages 15 a game.

Monmouth was averaging 17 a game.

St Johns 14 a game despite being a press team themselves.

Ville is averaging 16 a game..

I'm just saying...
Pitt has good players, but their ceiling is low because they have no true point guard.

Jim keeps talking about how Bell and Williams don't rebound which, of course, reflects reality. However, are they working on it? I can't understand how players can make it to this level without knowing how to rebound but it is apparently the case. Do they practice rebounding... especially boxing out? Very frustrating to watch.

The 3 & 4 are the most demanding positions in Boeheim's zone defensive scheme.
It requires an extraordinary amount of physical agility, coordination, and commitment to the concept. If that isn't there, raw physical ability doesn't count for much.

Honest to god, Brown might have the third or fourth best vision / passing acumen on the team.

He needs to start.

Bell is a two dribble streaky shooter that doesn't want to mix it up. I have no idea why he's starting.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many losses we need to take on before we start putting Brown/JT/Q into the legit rotation earlier and at least swapping out one of them for Brown.

Honest to god, Brown might have the third or fourth best vision / passing acumen on the team.

He needs to start.

Bell is a two dribble streaky shooter that doesn't want to mix it up. I have no idea why he's starting.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many losses we need to take on before we start putting Brown/JT/Q into the legit rotation earlier and at least swapping out one of them for Brown.

Brown showed a willingness to attack his man but without needing more than one dribble too. That is so much more efficient than how Benny does it.

He needs to start.

Brown was D’ing up guards in the back court. Got his hands on several passes. Had a couple looks inside he missed but at least one he was fouled. He just gets it. Not a coincident he makes a play quickly on the floor.

And anyone who didn’t have brown and Copeland on their mvp lists last night need to rewatch that game. They were 100% critical to the comeback. Not debatable.

Brown was D’ing up guards in the back court. Got his hands on several passes. Had a couple looks inside he missed but at least one he was fouled. He just gets it. Not a coincident he makes a play quickly on the floor.

And anyone who didn’t have brown and Copeland on their mvp lists last night need to rewatch that game. They were 100% critical to the comeback. Not debatable.

Brown and Bell must have some starting promise or pseudo promise.

I’m one of the charter members of the Maliq Brown Fan Club and if it were up to me, he would start. Having said that, I understand why JB continues to go with Bell and Williams. They give us our highest ceiling…I’m just not confident we’ll ever reach it. Once JB is convinced of the same, I expect Brown to start from that point forward.
Im not convinced that Williams and Bell do. I think that we have team of forwards that are all flawed and that depending on the night each of them might shine or fail. JB cant get in love with one kid and keep riding him rather he needs to play the hot hand

JB wants Benny to be a PF and play like Quincy G or at least what Maliq is doing but Benny doesnt want to play PF nor does he have the attitude or drive to play on the block and be physical in the paint. He wants to float on the perimeter take a few dribbles and take a mid range jump shot and its just not working.

Brown comes into the game and immediately knows where to be in position to get an easy basket in the paint. Benny might have a higher ceiling than Brown from being a better leaper and having more of a mid range game but what this team needs is Benny to play like the guys ive mentioned or like Warrick or Damone Brown. Ive come to accept Benny probably wont live up to his recruiting rank unless he understands this and does what the team needs him to do which he showed at times in the Gtown and Cornell game.

Maliq knows what role to play, Benny does not.

Last edited:
Pitt has good players, but their ceiling is low because they have no true point guard.
Do we have a “true” point guard? Also, they have a bunch of grown men on their team, as opposed to us having a bunch of kids. We shall see how it all shakes out.

I agree 100% and once Boeheim pulls Bell from the starting lineup, there's no going back. Jim knows this which is why I believe he's giving him so much run. That said, hopefully the change comes before the season is completely lost.

Benny, Bell not so much.

Effort matters.
Good points all. I've said before and I'm saying it again, the pieces are on this roster to succeed. Its up to the coaches, primarily JAB, to find the right combination each game. Last night if Copeland gets 10 more minutes we win. He is essentially a PG but hustles more than most thought he would. Like Brown, the ball seems to find him. The Josh Pace role is still there and is needed because he can actually create his own shot. I'm OK with Benny and Bell starting but Jim has to pull their trigger quicker if its not working. I wouldn't mind Cope taking some of Sy's minutes also. Sy can't shoot, doesn't pass except around the perimeter and basically is a dribbling machine. Good effort on D but Cope is 6'6". I still think Taylor might be the right guy to start instead of Bell.
Defensively I fully endorse the press. The inconsistent lineup and lack of cohesion cry out for more press. Sub people out because they are tired and have been busting their butt not just because they made a bad pass or missed a shot or god forbid didn't rotate to cover the corner. You never know who might catch fire. Other than Joe, Judah and Jesse there is little difference between #4 and #11 on our bench. So use that to our advantage instead the weakness it has been.
Going forward I want a quicker ID of who provides the best matchup that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom