my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, but JB doing things that prove (to many) that he is wrong is not.

And fans thinking they know what is best for any team is hilarious.

They sure are. A career 37% shooter that has taken almost 1200 FGA.

I believe he will have the most or close to the most (or will upon seasons end) losses during JB’s tenure for any player.

Brandon Triche

And fans thinking they know what is best for any team is hilarious.
Fans wanting a change at head coach are hilarious?
The idea people wanting a new coach is most certainly not hilarious. There is plenty empirical data from the last 9 years to want change.
What would be hilarious would be continuing to do the same thing when the results have been similar.

Kentucky fans complaining about Calipari or Baylor fans complaining about Drew would be hilarious.

The idea people wanting a new coach is most certainly not hilarious. There is plenty empirical data from the last 9 years to want change.
What would be hilarious would be continuing to do the same thing when the results have been similar.
Even the most idiotic fans are smart enough to know that winning is good and losing is bad.

Kentucky fans complaining about Calipari or Baylor fans complaining about Drew would be hilarious.
The last time we had a respectable regular season uconn won the national championship.

JB has won some tournament games and coached his kids since then it’s time this can’t go on any longer.

Fans do complain about Calipari, almost every year as they squander their top 5 class.

Fans do complain about Calipari, almost every year as they squander their top 5 class.
Thus my point those fans are hilariously stupid.
Fans here who want change and are frustrated are not hilarious.
There is enough data to support Syracuse fans complaining now. Not Kentucky or Baylor fans.

It really sucks that this is the case, but it is. Think about it, even his latest comments about Benny being the best forward was only said to defend what he does. Besides being stubborn, he is incredibly thin skinned, which is often why he gets nasty in pressers.
Jim worst trait is the fact that he is so insecure. Its why hes aggressive. Its the signature defense mechanism of insecure people.

Jim worst trait is the fact that he is so insecure. It’s why hes aggressive. It’s the signature defense mechanism of insecure people.
I’m surprised he’s able to even get on the court every week considering some of the abuse he’s received on Twitter over the last 4 years

I think you have a lot of great points, but you are missing the forest for the trees in some respects.

1. There can be no delusions about Jim still being capable of being a great coach if he would only change some of his ways. Never will happen, why do we even discuss ???

2. The focus of your post was on the D, and your points were mostly very valid. However, the game I saw yesterday was lost on the O end as a result of all the TOs. D could have been better, I agree, but it was the TOs that absolutely killed us.

I think you have a lot of great points, but you are missing the forest for the trees in some respects.

1. There can be no delusions about Jim still being capable of being a great coach if he would only change some of his ways. Never will happen, why do we even discuss ???

2. The focus of your post was on the D, and your points were mostly very valid. However, the game I saw yesterday was lost on the O end as a result of all the TOs. D could have been better, I agree, but it was the TOs that absolutely killed us.
If we dont press we lose by 20 or more. It starts with D.

A couple of thoughts on last nights game but more on the season to date.

Last night was typical of this season. A slow lethargic start, not much energy as usual. I'm not sure if the kids come out tight or what the story is but I don't think we have had more than a game or two where we have started strong. Why? who knows. As to the game I thought that Hima and Sy and Brown brought energy and effort to the floor. Joe was Joe good and bad but mostly good. I hope he comes back next year as we need him. Taylor needs more minutes. He should be on the floor as he can score and seems to understand the game of basketball considerably better than Bell. Would like to see Copeland get some run not sure what the story is there as Jim praises the kid but doesn't play him to the extent that he should. Judah is a baller sure out of control part of the time, but he plays hard and its obvious he wants to win at a level which I do not see out of Jesse who is a major disappointment. He should be leading this team, yet he continues to play most of the time like he is not really into the game. Not sure how you light a fire under his arse but at this point I would seriously go with Hima as much if not more than Jesse as he plays with an attitude and aggressiveness that this team sorely needs.

Missing Benny was I guess a big deal depending on which Benny shows up. I guess he would have made a difference as according to Jim he is our best forward so maybe we do better with him in the lineup.

Jim says that this is his best class and I take him at his word. I personally can come up with a few that are better but let's assume this is his best and to his point they are pretty good.

Each of these kids from the minute they started playing organized basketball until they arrived as Syracuse have for probably for 90% of their entire lives played man to man. At the beginning of practice, it was mentioned by many including our HOF coach that man to man had a chance to be added to the toolbox. So instead of letting kids who have played man all of their lives play a D that they know and understand if nothing more than a tool to change the tempo of a game. To try and get an opposing team out of a rhythm. Jim instead decides to force them to play his signature D. A D that was successful when the 3-point line was new. When teams didn't have 10 kids on the roster that have grown up shooting it. When Jim and his staff had the time to develop over multiple years his players into executing his zone vs today's world of 4 weeks in the fall.

No instead of using a D that every one of these players have been trained in and played in their entire lives Jim our HOF genius decides to go exclusively zone or in the event we fall behind by a quarter of 100 points, press.

As the girls screams on the Dr. Pepper advertisement. Hes Lost it!

If Jim wasnt so GD stubborn and more worried about trying to prove everyone wrong we would most likely have won 2 to 4 more games. Colgate would have been crushed if we had gone man. Same with Bryant. Pitt VA and who knows on the others.

So, Jim is correct he does have talent unfortunately his stubbornness is preventing him from using it properly. Man to Man is a tool that he should be using and should have been using since Os caught up with the 3-point game.

We don't have a talent issue we have a coaching issue. It isn't that Jim isn't a brilliant coach because he is. It's that his stubbornness is precluding him to use his brilliance.

This team has the tools to make the dance, but it won't because of a head coach who refuses to change. We don't need a new head coach. We need the current one to use his mind, set aside his stubbornness and adapt to today's game.
I don’t think it’s so easy to ‘just play man2man.’

As much as I hate zone, I think it’s quite reasonable to expect that our m2m might be weaker. Didn’t we try it against Lemoyne some years ago? With a complete failure? Different crew of players now, but the same coaches. I think effective m2m has to be coached and practiced. That’s why some teams are better at it than others, among teams that do it all the time. Doing it at the high school level doesn’t mean much when the players we recruit into the ACC ostensibly have been more physically or talent-ly dominant vs their opponents.

I agree, though, that it’s indefensible, to be a D1 HoF head coach and be unable to train your team to play M2M 1) in this era; 2) when it is ALWAYS to your advantage to have options, especially when dedication to the zone doesn’t demonstrate extreme competency>dominance; 3) when you KNOW so much of your team will be young and unfamiliar with your weird scheme that takes so long to master; and 4) when you said we would play some man and you have dedicated (wasted) some of our time toward practicing it.

It‘s beyond comprehension, the incompetence. The stupidity. It’s so shortsighted, thinking you get certain benefits from playing it, but nit recognizing how much you lose. And I’m speaking of the potential of better personnel.

I mean, when every kid fires up 2K23, they scramble to remember which controller button combo sets up their zone defense, right? Everyone wants to play The Jordan Challenge in a 2-3….

I don’t think it’s so easy to ‘just play man2man.’

As much as I hate zone, I think it’s quite reasonable to expect that our m2m might be weaker. Didn’t we try it against Lemoyne some years ago? With a complete failure? Different crew of players now, but the same coaches. I think effective m2m has to be coached and practiced. That’s why some teams are better at it than others, among teams that do it all the time. Doing it at the high school level doesn’t mean much when the players we recruit into the ACC ostensibly have been more physically or talent-ly dominant vs their opponents.

I agree, though, that it’s indefensible, to be a D1 HoF head coach and be unable to train your team to play M2M 1) in this era; 2) when it is ALWAYS to your advantage to have options, especially when dedication to the zone doesn’t demonstrate extreme competency>dominance; 3) when you KNOW so much of your team will be young and unfamiliar with your weird scheme that takes so long to master; and 4) when you said we would play some man and you have dedicated (wasted) some of our time toward practicing it.

It‘s beyond comprehension, the incompetence. The stupidity. It’s so shortsighted, thinking you get certain benefits from playing it, but nit recognizing how much you lose. And I’m speaking of the potential of better personnel.

I mean, when every kid fires up 2K23, they scramble to remember which controller button combo sets up their zone defense, right? Everyone wants to play The Jordan Challenge in a 2-3….
The reasons to play exclusively zone dont exist anymore

It seems that it's always best to tailor your game to the particular talents of your players.
Or else recruit specific players to fill particular spots for the style the team plays.
The Orange seem to do neither.
They recruit talent and then try to fit talent into roles.
We see how well that tends to work.

But let's look on the bright side.
No longer do they spend possessions passing the ball around the outside and then hoisting a semi-desperation 3.

The reasons to play exclusively zone dont exist anymore
Dude. Preaching to the choir. I hate zone with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

My point isnt that Jim shouldn't play zone rather that he should have man in his tool box and use it when needed. Colgate was painfully obvious. Our players were twice the athletes and in man would have crushed them. Instead we allow them to use their one advantage (3,pt shooting) to beat us. Maddening. Stubborn put any label on it the bottom line is that the end result is a loss. Not because of a talent differential but rather terrible coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom