my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

I think Leonard will go early so possibly having 2 1st round picks at QB (and being on the easy half of the ACC) is going to skew the numbers and Duke's still aren't great.

Yeah, brain lapse on my part including Kansas. Toss them aside... back to Duke. Look below... what record is more impressive over the last 10 seasons?

Team A (65-61)
10-4
9-4
8-5
4-8
7-6
8-5
5-7
2-9
3-9
9-4

Team B (50-72)
7-6
3-9
4-8
4-8
4-8
10-3
5-7
1-10
5-7
7-6

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have Team A's record. 52% winning percentage versus 41%, and twice the number of bowl eligible seasons (6 versus 3). Team A is Duke by the way while Team B is Cuse. Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING I like about this - I loathe the blue devils, and it makes me sick that they're out performing us on the field, but they are. Facts don't lie.

To be fair Duke has avoided Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame.

2022- had none of the 3 teams

2021- had none of the 3

2020- had 2 of the 3

2019- had only Notre Dame

2018- played Clemson

2017- played FSU

2016- played Notre Dame

2015- played none

2014- played none

2013- played none regular season, FSU in ACC CG

So they had 4 combined regular season games outside of 2020 which had a 10 game ACC schedule. Ironically they play all 3 this year. Outside of 2020 SU has played those 3 teams a combined 22 times. That will make a difference in your record.

As to Dino he was himself. Multiple decisions that just don't make any sense to those watching the game and or the announcers calling the game. I'm not sure what his thought process is but it is flawed. I hope that it isn't playing to get out of dodge and that he actually believes his decisions provide the team with the best chance to win but that is a hard one to fathom.
I am 100% convinced that he didnt play that game to win and he didnt play that game "not to lose"

he played with the philosophy of limiting the point differential as much as possible.

I can honestly say I have thought he has done it in the past but this was the most egregious of them all. Punting twice from midfield and Kicking the FG down 21 were all signs... but the most glaring tell was using the entire play clock in the 3rd Q. That is not what his first press conference was about... "close your eyes"

I tend to believe that our offensive scheme is severely limited due to personnel. Specifically our passing game is non-existent. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised even if Dino were to stay if Beck got the fudge out of here
I’m not putting it on Beck. I’m curious how much DB inserts himself in the game plan. There is a reason RA left after one year and had arguments with Dino on the sidelines. We have had multiple OC but seem to run the same O. The only constant is Dino.
Beck will probably leave. I would if Dino is really implementing the game plan. Beck has developed qbs and showed in the bowl. He can coach but if you are not given complete control of the O there is nothing you can do.
You have seen changes on D because Dino clearly leaves it to the DC. Need to happen on O or we need to move on.

To be fair Duke has avoided Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame.

2022- had none of the 3 teams

2021- had none of the 3

2020- had 2 of the 3

2019- had only Notre Dame

2018- played Clemson

2017- played

2016- played Notre Dame

2015- played none

2014- played none

2013- played none regular season, FSU in ACC CG

So they had 4 combined regular season games outside of 2020 which had a 10 game ACC schedule. Ironically they play all 3 this year. Outside of 2020 SU has played those 3 teams a combined 22 times. That will make a difference in your record.
My man, you play the teams on your schedule and I hate to say it, but Dook has outperformed us the last 10 years - OBVIOUSLY. If you really don't think that, oh my. That doesn't mean it has to continue to be that way, but the record doesn't lie.

Last edited:
I am 100% convinced that he didnt play that game to win and he didnt play that game "not to lose"

he played with the philosophy of limiting the point differential as much as possible.

I can honestly say I have thought he has done it in the past but this was the most egregious of them all. Punting twice from midfield and Kicking the FG down 21 were all signs... but the most glaring tell was using the entire play clock in the 3rd Q. That is not what his first press conference was about... "close your eyes"
In the game thread I mentioned the 2009 game at Pedo St. (Marrone's first season) that St. Doug did the same thing in that one. Someone in the thread questioned that. Here's the play by play from that game. Poster from the game thread take a look at this and tell me Dougie wasn't doing the same thing.

I’m putting it all on the coaches. The players have limitations…almost all do. The coach’s job is to figure out how to scheme and work around thise limitations. Sometimes the talent differential is too great to overcome and that is TOTALLY understandable. To be basically totally noncompetitive is on the coaches.

Last edited:
My man, you play the teams on your schedule and I hate to say it, but Dook has outperformed us the last 10 years - OBVIOUSLY. If you really don't think that, oh my. That doesn't mean it has to continue to be that way, but the record doesn't lie.

This is college not the NFL the schedules are nowhere near the same. That is just silly. If a Sunbelt team is 80-50 does that make them better?

Shrader has had a terrible year. Even in the wins his passing was off. Sure his statistics were ok but if you watched him his throws were weak, he floated most balls, was inaccurate, held the ball too long and had tunnel vision. He has been really bad. Maybe its the surgery or more likely opposing coaches have him figured out. Shrader not being a good passer is less apparent against weaker teams so there is hope.
Despite the competition his arm looked live to start the year. Ever since we saw him shaking his hand and having his forearm massaged his accuracy and velocity has noticeably declined. If he didn’t throw all off season and then barely passed in fall camp only to go full bore to start the season i wouldn’t be surprised if he has the dreaded potato arm.

The terrible thing about that is when you are up against a good team with a good QB it means that you have to be more aggressive because they’re going to score whether it’s from the 50 or their 20. The only way to play those games are to be ultra aggressive. Dan Lanning caught flack for being too aggressive but i’d rather have my HC trying to win than not wanting to get blown out. You’ve seen it in the NFL countless times when teams go up against Mahomes. You’re only going to get a certain amount of possessions and you have to make them count because you know someone like FSU will eventually light up the scoreboard. There is no playing field position against teams like that and i shouldn’t have to write it on a fan message board but our HC doesn’t realize this. What happened Saturday punting at midfield twice with 4 and short, plus the FG attempt when 3 points does nothing for you is extremely concerning. It either means you’re HC quit on his team, or he’s not good enough to realize what’s said above. I don’t know what’s worse, especially with these debbie downer, woe is me quotes we’ve heard the last few weeks. If i didn’t know better he is trying to get fired and paid his buy out for whatever remains on his contract. This isn’t high level stuff here. This is stuff anyone who has played or watched enough football is crystal clear about. There is no way the kids in the locker room haven’t picked up on it, and we wonder why they’ve come out flat as hell the last 2 games.

Last edited:
In the game thread I mentioned the 2009 game at Pedo St. (Marrone's first season) that St. Doug did the same thing in that one. Someone in the thread questioned that. Here's the play by play from that game. Poster from the game thread take a look at this and tell me Dougie wasn't doing the same thing.

At least he did it successfully. Not to mention that was in year 2 of an absolutely huge rebuild, not year 8 with a 3 year starter QB, and experienced defense.

The terrible thing about that is when you are up against a good team with a good QB it means that you have to be more aggressive because they’re going to score whether it’s from the 50 or their 20. The only way to play those games are to be ultra aggressive. Dan Lanning caught flack for being too aggressive but i’d rather have my HC trying to win than not wanting to get blown out. You’ve seen it in the NFL countless times when teams go up against Mahomes. You’re only going to get a certain amount of possessions and you have to make them count because you know someone like FSU will eventually light up the scoreboard. There is no playing field position against teams like that and i shouldn’t have to write it on a fan message board but our HC doesn’t realize this. What happened Saturday punting at midfield twice with 4 and short, plus the FG attempt when 3 points does nothing for you is extremely concerning. It either means you’re HC quit on his team, or he’s not good enough to realize what’s said above. I don’t know what’s worse, especially with these debbie downer, woe is me quotes we’ve heard the last few weeks. If i didn’t know better he is trying to get fired and paid his buy out for whatever remains on his contract. This isn’t high level stuff here. This is stuff anyone who has played or watched enough football is crystal clear about. There is no way the kids in the locker room hasn’t picked up on it, and we wonder why they’ve come out flat as hell the last 2 games.
Exactly. I know there is a hell of a lot more that goes into being a head coach of a football program especially high level D1... way more than I could ever dream of knowing let alone doing.... but moments like that I see and truly wonder how it is possible to do it completely wrong, and multiple times, when it's so clear.

This is actually pretty basic stuff to be honest.

I had Cuse +28.5 so I thought that was a heckuva job by Marrone.

Anyways... who says no to Marrone coming back?

At this point there is no more help for him. No more excuses. The buyout isn't much of an issue. Covid is over. It's all on Dino at this point as there isn't one remaining game that we shouldn't win or at a minimum hang in for the entire game.

The Dino Babers "No Excuses" Tour!

I’m not putting it on Beck. I’m curious how much DB inserts himself in the game plan. There is a reason RA left after one year and had arguments with Dino on the sidelines. We have had multiple OC but seem to run the same O. The only constant is Dino.
Beck will probably leave. I would if Dino is really implementing the game plan. Beck has developed qbs and showed in the bowl. He can coach but if you are not given complete control of the O there is nothing you can do.
You have seen changes on D because Dino clearly leaves it to the DC. Need to happen on O or we need to move on.

You go from curious to baseless conclusions pretty quick.

Our offense is limited due to personnel more than anything.
  • The offensive line does not open holes consistently.
  • The offensive line struggles to keep a clean pocket.
  • Receivers struggle to get separation.
Yes. There is a reason RA left after one year. And although RA and HCDB had arguments on the sidelines that isn't the reason for his departure. RA left to be closer to family. No need to create a false narrative.

Two excerpts from this article for those who can't access the article.
  • “In my world it goes fast. Decisions had to be made real quick,” Anae told reporters Tuesday, his first time commenting on his decision to take the job as N.C. State’s offensive coordinator.
    “I don’t want to say rash, but quick. I will say the strength and the stability was probably the two things that brought me here very quick.”
I get it. How stable can Syracuse look when the HC is constantly on the hot seat?
  • Anae also said it was a “way added bonus” to have family in Raleigh, North Carolina, including three granddaughters with a fourth on the way. His son is the offensive line coach at Campbell University nearby Raleigh.
That and $850,000 are pretty good reasons for a 64-year-old coach to change positions.

Beck is doing okay. Although QB Brennan Armstrong Followed Anae to NC State, Beck's offense at Syracuse has been more productive than Anae's at NC State so far.
  • Syracuse NC State
    Scoring Offense
    28.7​
    25.4​
    Total Yards per game
    399.1​
    347.4​
    Rushing Yards 167.0
    143.3​
    Passing Yards
    232.1​
    204.1​
    Avg Yds per Play
    5.78​
    5​

Let's see what these numbers look like at the end of the season. I have a feeling Syracuse (Beck) will have better numbers than NC St (Anae) at the end of the season.

Although Dino Does have a hand in everything about the team (as he should), I'm told by people pretty close to this that Dino allows his coordinators to put their game plans together and call their games. Believe what you want.

By the way... Beck will more than likely not be a lifer in Syracuse. He and his wife are from Southern California, not Central New York. He played at three different colleges. His position as OC at Syracuse is his eighth position is 17 years of coaching. Coaches move.

Last thing. If Dino is not involved in the defense, maybe he should be more. I hate seeing our DB's lined up 8 yards off the ball on 3rd and 4. That isn't working. We have given up more passing yards than any other teams in the conference.

Despite the competition his arm looked live to start the year. Ever since we saw him shaking his hand and having his forearm massaged his accuracy and velocity has noticeably declined. If he didn’t throw all off season and then barely passed in fall camp only to go full bore to start the season i wouldn’t be surprised if he has the dreaded potato arm.
The real issue after 8 years is why are we still experiencing deja vu, all over again?
As the year goes on, HCDB's QBs always seem to run out of gas. How many times were we asking, "What's wrong w/ Dungey/Devito/Schrader? Why aren't they moving/throwing well, like earlier in the season? Where are the WR?" Etc etc.
Every. Fricken. Year.

When you look at Dino as an assistant coach, he basically coached positions that would lead one to believe he was seen more as a recruiter than an X and O guy. His one stint as an Oc he was pulled within a few games so that wasn't his strength. His gift is his personality. He will need to muster as much of that as possible the next few weeks to get the kids back on track. Again, the less he does on game days the better off his teams will be.

I had Cuse +28.5 so I thought that was a heckuva job by Marrone.

Anyways... who says no to Marrone coming back?
Not a chance he'd ever come back. He was grumpy dealing with recruiting 15 years ago. I don't think the NIL / transfer portal age would work for him.

Not a chance he'd ever come back. He was grumpy dealing with recruiting 15 years ago. I don't think the NIL / transfer portal age would work for him.
Hès an arse who we don't need or want back. I think that Dino gets to 7 and stays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom