my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

The school needs to just get on with firing him. Things aren't going to miraculously turn around at this point. Fire him this weekend, Dino will probably be happy to get back out west before the winter sets in and the school can get a head start on the HC search.

My thoughts about Dino, strictly as a P5 level competent football coach, etc. have been documented for some time. Last night was simply just more proof in the pudding (0-4/19-43) not to mention for the whole sports viewing world to see. Shameful, but in my opinion, deserved.

You reap what you sow.

Be ready to be handled.

BC has found their footing and is playing good football right now. Castellanos will have us in a blender unfortunately.

I suspect 35-14 coming our way. Not sure why we are so arrogant about the BC struggles vs our success out of the gates. They have adjusted we have not.
Love Thomas Castellanos, he brings that Russell Wilson vibe.

Yup. Have to share the same here.

And I freaking love Dino.

But it's over. No more fire. Looked like they were walking into an office yesterday going out that tunnel

It's. Time. For. A. Change. New landscape in CFB, new world post-covid. We need a young energetic coach. Sean Lewis?

What I'm struggling with is the precipitous decline.

I broke down the positional units before the season, and we had a LOT of depth. We have a proven, senior QB. This is the year where getting to 8 wins should have been a slam dunk.

And we had only one drive where we looked like the offense we saw in the first few games. Just one. We looked completely inept the rest of the game.

What happened? It's not like Rocky Long [in particular] / Beck suddenly don't know what they're doing.

I get that there have been some injuries. And some have been costly [OG, Wohlabaugh]. But to get destroyed on both sides of the ball against a mediocre opponent...?

Prior to the season, I believed whole-heartedly that we were going to get to 8 wins, with an outside shot at 9 or more if things went well.

Now? I'm not even sure that we get to a bowl. And yes, I say that knowing that we have some lousy opponents coming up.

Last edited:

But it's over. No more fire. Looked like they were walking into an office yesterday going out that tunnel

It's. Time. For. A. Change. New landscape in CFB, new world post-covid. We need a young energetic coach. Sean Lewis?

Great post -- that's exactly how I feel.

If he leaves Colorado it'll be to take a head job at a SEC or Big 10 program. His stock is rightfully going up faster than we could afford.

What I'm struggling with is the precipitous decline.

I broke down the positional units before the season, and we had a LOT of depth. We have a proven, senior QB. This is the year where getting to 8 wins should have been a slam dunk.

And we had only one drive where we looked like the offense we saw in the first few games. Just one. We looked completely inept the rest of the game.

What happened? It's not like Rocky Long [in particular] / Beck suddenly don't know what they're doing.

I get that there have been some injuries. And some have been costly [OG, Wohlabaugh]. But to get destroyed on both sides of the ball against a mediocre opponent...?

Prior to the season, I believed whole-heartedly that we were going to get to 8 wins, with an outside shot at 9 or more if things went well.

Now? I'm not even sure that we get to a bowl. And yes, I say that knowing that we have some lousy opponents coming up.
Yeah. Something's broken and the constant appears to be Dino.

Rocky Long knows what winning football looks like. Beck knows what winning football looks like.

If he leaves Colorado it'll be to take a head job at a SEC or Big 10 program. His stock is rightfully going up faster than we could afford.
Thats been the idea for quite some time. Haven't heard much out of Colorado. They don't have an easy schedule remaining either.

Kinda hoping he stays under the radar as the season goes on.

If Dino is still HC come Monday I might have to write a long email about why we need to fire JW and send it every Friday to the BOT and Syverud. Eventually someone will read it and see a bunch of valid reasons and take it into cons

Agree! Please send an email to Wildhack

Tonight was the straw that broke my back. I have been hoping that Dino would pull it together win 7 play competitively the last half of the season and retain his job. Now it doesn't matter to me how we finish. Unless we win out and play well in a bowl game Dinos time on the Hill is over. He has been provided with eight years and has only provided two decent seasons. This year the team has actually looked bad each game. For me Army was the game that i knew it was over. Our team was flat and sloppy. From that point until today we have regressed to the point that the team is dysfunctional.

Dino is a good person who cares about the kids but he isnt a good football coach. Im sure that he will land on his feet hopefully in a job that he can help people but outside of coaching. Eight years of investment in him has basically been wasted. Time to clean house and start over. I want a proven winner. One with an East coast background. JMU and Holly Cross coaches are my first two choices. Maybe one of them can convince players like LA to stay but i doubt it. Our good players will leave as we are a broken program that will be starting from scratch.

Hopefully JW doesn't wait until the end of the season as things will only get worse. My hope is that Dino is let go this weekend and we can start to move forward.
When he quit on the team against Florida St, should have been let go.
If JW pulls the plug now it would be one game late.

At some point could wildhack be fired too? I wonder if the university looks at the football malaise as something caused by AD.

Of course hoops corroded as well but wonder how pervasive this could be in terms of changes

I like JW but we sure he is going to make the decisions
I don't know enough about him or the position itself, but I don't get a great vibe from him. He's no Crouthamel.

Didn't like how he handled the firings of JB, Desko, etc, but maybe some of that was not his fault. I am not 'insider enough' to know. Just don't like how that all went down. He did the right thing with Q and made a great hire.

Didn't like how things went down with the moneybags recycling dude. How do you turn that away?

I like the emphasis on the other sports soccer, women's lax, field hockey, etc. How much of that is him, or inheriting stuff from other ADs, I don't know.

So, I don't know, but time to move on from Ohana.

Agree! Please send an email to Wildhack
No way. They won't do it. I'm just a fan. Not a donor this year actually. :oops:

Axe mentioned the ground breaking a month ago on X. Here's the video.
They really like the type of people that leave Dino's program. They are all mostly high character individuals in whatever they do. He still has an opportunity to make a bowl. I think once that 7th loss comes - the conversation changes on the administration end.

They really like the type of people that leave Dino's program. They are all mostly high character individuals in whatever they do. He still has an opportunity to make a bowl. I think once that 7th loss comes - the conversation changes on the administration end.
OK, but the nightmare scenario is a 6-6 finish. Yes, we get a bowl but a bowl doesn't mean what it once did. There was a time when only good teams went to bowls and it was an acknowledgement of a solid season.

Now? There are way too many bowls and you can get into one by being a .500 team from a P5 conference. You barely need to have a pulse.

It gets worse, though. If you dig deeper into a 6-6 SU team this year, it gets pretty ugly. If we finish 6-6, it means we also finish 2-6 in the ACC. That further means that Dino will have had only a single ACC season above .500 in 8 years and five years at 2-6.

Makes a fan want to puff out their chest with pride, doesn't it? Sure, we suck vs our peer schools. Sure, we are guaranteeing ourselves left out when the inevitable rearranging of the conference deck chairs happens again. Sure, we are paying Dino many millions but don't care about results in a profession that is all about results. At least some former players have high character.

You know who else has high character? Graduates from my former academic department. I will be increasing my annual donation in that area.

OK, but the nightmare scenario is a 6-6 finish. Yes, we get a bowl but a bowl doesn't mean what it once did. There was a time when only good teams went to bowls and it was an acknowledgement of a solid season.

Now? There are way too many bowls and you can get into one by being a .500 team from a P5 conference. You barely need to have a pulse.

It gets worse, though. If you dig deeper into a 6-6 SU team this year, it gets pretty ugly. If we finish 6-6, it means we also finish 2-6 in the ACC. That further means that Dino will have had only a single ACC season above .500 in 8 years and five years at 2-6.

Makes a fan want to puff out their chest with pride, doesn't it? Sure, we suck vs our peer schools. Sure, we are guaranteeing ourselves left out when the inevitable rearranging of the conference deck chairs happens again. Sure, we are paying Dino many millions but don't care about results in a profession that is all about results. At least some former players have high character.

You know who else has high character? Graduates from my former academic department. I will be increasing my annual donation in that area.
It's why I wish they would fire Dino now, make Rocky Long the interim HC while starting the search and hopefully they eek out a bowl game.

IMO the nightmare is he is still HC come Monday. It shows that SU doesn't care. If you won't fire him now you are leaving the door open which is completely unacceptable. If you are willing to fire him at 6-6, why wait? If you aren't willing to extend him after going 7-5, why bring him back next year at all?

I think it would be a Fuccillo sized mistake to commit to Dino. But I can at least see some logic in it. And if you aren't willing to commit to him, why keep him at all? Just move on. Either spit or get off the pot.

SU needs to make a decision. Kicking the can down the road is BS.

Yup. Just look at his track record with QBs, the most critical position in the sport.

Got to Eastern Illinois and inherited Jimmy Garrapolo. Rode him for 2 years and bolted for Bowling Green. Inherited two QBs there, rode them for 2 years and bolted for SU. Inherited Dungey here and rode him to the 10-3, top 15 season.

Since?

Failed completely with DeVito. Appears to have flopped with Shrader, with no discernable replacement behind him.

He's a lousy head coach, and it's been all downhill since the Maryland game in 2019.
2019: the year Dino and Syracuse football died again

2019: the year Dino and Syracuse football died again
There were so many red flags going into that season.

Reports that the players had bought into their own hype (which still blows my mind, we won a mid-tier bowl, not the national title).

Dino was a dour, sad sack that summer.

And then the bottom fell out in College Park.

Dino was incapable of capitalizing on the momentum of 2018 and the program has been a listless bore for all but a few games ever since.

I think we need a choose your own adventure.

1. Based on the past 93 games does Dino deserve a chance to right the ship?
A. No. Then you fire him now.
B. Yes. Then move onto question #2.

2. What impact will keeping Dino as HC for next season have on the program?
A. Negative. Then you fire him now.
B. Minimal. Then move onto question #3.

3. Are you willing to commit to Dino if he goes 8-4?
A. No. Then fire him now.
B. Yes. Then move onto BC

BC
A. We Win. Move onto Pitt.
B. We lose. Move onto question #4.

4. Does Dino deserve to coach in 2024 if he goes 7-5?
A. No. Then fire him after the game.
B. Yes. Then move onto the next game.

Pitt
A. We win making us 6-4. Move onto GA Tech.
B. We win making us 5-5. Move onto GA Tech.
B. We lose making us 5-5. Move back to question #4.
C. We lose making us 4-6. Move onto question #5.

5. Does Dino deserve to coach in 2024 if he goes 6-6?
A. No. Then fire him after the game.
B. Yes. Then move onto the next game.

GA Tech
A. We win making us 7-4. Move onto Wake.
B. We win making us 6-5. Move onto Wake
C. We lose making us 6-5. Move back to question #4.
D. We win making us 5-6. Move onto Wake.
E. We lose making us 5-6. Move back to question #5.
F. We lose making us 4-7. Then fire him after the game.

Wake
A. We lose making us 5-7. Then fire him after the game.
B. We go from 6-5 to 6-6. Move back to question #5.
C. We go from 5-6 to 6-6. Move onto next season.
D. We go from 7-4 to 7-5. Move back to question #4.
E. We go from 6-5 to 7-5. Move onto next season.
F. We win making us 8-4. Give Dino a 2 year extension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom