my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

I agree. Although we only have 8 seniors, we also have a few leaders who think they’re ready for the NFL (misguided IMO), others like J. Wilson who has some talent but fell from favor here, and there will be some who get pushed out. I would guess the over/under on new players on the roster in 2024 will be over 40.

Question: will we have enough players to have a spring game?
Do you think hiring White would mitigate some of the turnover?

Hatcher catches the ball, we pick off one of the three gifts, the PI call that was bs, we win this game.

The PI call WAS complete BS. It was a game changing call, and would have been overturned if reviewed in some capacity. No argument there.

BUT as for the rest -- coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Good day on the hill as I got to see some old friends who were in town and spent some time with a few of the famous in town for the weekend, game. Everyone that I spoke to likes Dino. Some less than others and everyone also realizes that it is time for a change. JW is held in very high regard by all and based on what I was told is very much on top of this situation. I don't know what the buyout is, but one read that I got was that it does goes down at a certain point in the near future. Regardless I'll be shocked if he is retained other than winning out these last three games.
Names that i heard were White, Golden i didn't hear anything about Cig, Holly cross, or Dan.
As to the team and game. I don't think that anyone has quit on Dino. The kids played really hard they just are not coached well, and we are thin. I wish that Dino had played other kids especially Carlos during the four blow out games.
In watching this year, it is very apparent to me that Beck and Long are not as good as Dr. Bob and White. Long has done a decent job but Beck has really been bad. Maybe because of Dino maybe not. Bottom line the offense has been God awful. Other news is that I expect lots of kids to leave the program. LA being one of them.
My guess is that White is our next coach.
So Dino knows?

I’m surprised he stayed after the suspension garbage. He deserves better.

Al golden would be a horrible hire. If he can’t do it at Miami he certainly can’t do it here
Golden turned Temple around. That’s a better SU comparison. He also didn’t fare too badly at Miami and they were under the threat of probation.

Tony White might be the next great coach, but I’m skeptical.

The problem with a candidate like White is that they'll be a first time HC, having to assemble a new staff on the fly. Who knows how long it would take to get the right combination of coaches on the staff. So, expect a multi-year process to get things optimized.

Would prefer someone who's been a head coach, to at least take that part of the learning curve out of the equation.

Last edited:
Here’s the problem plain and simple. This administration’s standard for excellence each year is bowl eligibility. 6-7 wins and a bowl and that’s the ceiling. That’s it.

The problem with that standard (despite not being able to even hit that mark consistently) is that the fan base is not going to be satisfied with a ceiling that consists of Pinstripe and Birmingham Bowls. Some of the programs in there same conference are shooting for national championships. It’s like they are playing a different sport than this program is.

Here’s the problem plain and simple. This administration’s standard for excellence each year is bowl eligibility. 6-7 wins and a bowl and that’s the ceiling. That’s it.

The problem with that standard (despite not being able to even hit that mark consistently) is that the fan base is not going to be satisfied with a ceiling that consists of Pinstripe and Birmingham Bowls. Some of the programs in there same conference are shooting for national championships. It’s like they are playing a different sport than this program is.
Wildhack said he feels SU should be in the top five in the conference. He might want to win at least half of our ACC conference games. We’ve only done that twice under Babers in eight years.

Wildhack said he feels SU should be in the top five in the conference. He might want to win at least half of our ACC conference games. We’ve only done that twice under Babers in eight years.
He says that but the actions do not reflect what is needed to get them there. I understand funding is the issue but at least do something. Mark Coyne wouldn’t have put up with this crap for 8 seasons.

There's a difference between that being a minimum threshold expectation and "ceiling," like you're implying.

We haven't gotten to back-to-back bowls in decades.

Let's accomplish that goal first, then worry about exceeding that benchmark once the foundation is in place.

But good post in the main, Nick. I don't disagree with the rest of your points.

Hatcher catches the ball, we pick off one of the three gifts, the PI call that was bs, we win this game.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
We lost to a better coached team that doesn’t shoot itself in the face as much as we do.

If Tony White is the hc we are completely lost. Shafer era was only 10 years ago and going back to the same playbook. Unbelievable really. On brand though
If we are not naming an interim and conducting a real search, and just picking Tony White, we are lost.

The team he works for is 5-3. Top 5 in rushing D, top 15 in total D. OK fine, but also not top 50 in fewest penalties per game or red zone D, or scoring D, or 1st downs D, or passes intercepted, or fumbles recovered. 49th in 3rd down conversion % D. Syracuse D is higher on some of these lists.

What am I missing here? Why is he on and apparently on the top of the list?

Last edited:
If we are not naming an interim and conducting a real search, and just picking Tony White, we are lost.

The team he works for is 5-3.

What am I missing?
Hoping this is a Chris Ash head fake.

I think Wildhack isn't gonna just pick the guy he knows and go w it.

It would be on brand Syracuse but i'm hoping they get the big picture that the program is teetering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom