My two cents... | Syracusefan.com

My two cents...

Nick44

All Conference
I don't usually post following games because I feel like the emotion of a win or loss adversely effects my opinions on things. That said, I think after 5 games, there are several obvious conclusions that we can draw.

First, the WR/CB positions are always hurt the most from a lack of talent. At other positions, players can be coached up to help disguise this lack of talent. Even at QB, you can teach the QB to play to his strengths, and disguise his lack of talent behind an effective gameplan. This can't be done as easily at the WR/CB position. In my opinion, you can't coach up the WR/CB positions with 2 star talent and expect them to compete effectively with 5 star athletes. Exceptions aside, these are the two positions where talent is needed and a lack of it can't be disguised.

*On a side note, Marrone always use to say that the guys who lined up farthest from where the ball is snapped have the best chance to see the field the quickest when they arrive as freshman. Obviously, that is because playing a position like WR/CB allows you to succeed early based on the talent that you can bring to the table.

Without question this WR group, might be the weakest since the early GROB/late PP days. Hopefully help quickly arrives with KJ, Cooper, Custis and Ishmael.

Secondly, I agree that you cannot judge a HC or his staff after five games. I will say this though. After 1, 2, 4, or 12 games of Marrone's tenure, I wasn't at all nervous like I am with Shafer. I don't know if it's because I disagree with the whole "players coach" approach or it's something else but I just don't know at this point. His game planing needs to improve. I wish he had a more stern approach with his players. I wish he and his coordinators would think outside the box a little more. The biggest mistake a coach can make when he takes over a team is developing the talent on his team around his strategy. It HAS to be the other way around. You have to develop your strategy around the talent you have on the team. Ie. shaping your gameplan more around your runningbacks and tightends. I hope Shafer can get this corrected beginning next week. That's my two cents.

Last edited:
People seem to have quickly forgotten the angst around here during Marrone's tenure. The fact of the matter is... We are and always have been in a precarious position in terms of football competitiveness. It's tough to win here.

We've lost to two teams that were clearly more talented than we are. The third was the first game with a new system, new head coach and new QB. I guess I've decided to be patient. It will take time for us to be a top 25 program again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

This is probably on another thread, but I worry about a head coach who loses his . What kind of example is that? There is a boundary between passion and ugly hysteria, and he crossed it yesterday.

that hysteria was a bit troubling. as was his lack of clock management first half and all the stoopid drive killing penalties.
oh... and i might also mention the poor tackling angles and clemson tiger wideouts running free range in our secondary.

that hysteria was a bit troubling. as was his lack of clock management first half and all the stoopid drive killing penalties.
oh... and i might also mention the poor tackling angles and clemson tiger wideouts running free range in our secondary.

But isn't that what everybody wanted? #hardnosed?

I think too the fans compare Shafers sideline antics to how the last two head coaches would act on the sideline. In addition to being clueless, GROB also ran around like a chicken with his head cutoff, yelling and pleading with officials. Letting his players act as they wished while also yelling at them when they screwed up.

Where as Marrone showed zero emotion but also didn't act like an idiot running around on the sidelines. Some complained that he should've showed more emotion (I was one of them) but I much preferred his actions to that of GROB and now Shafer.

But isn't that what everybody wanted? #hardnosed?

Yeah, remember all those football geniuses who would criticize Marrone for "not showing enough fire!" on the sidelines? "He needs to go nuts and send a message!" I remember those posts all too well.

Yeah, remember all those football geniuses who would criticize Marrone for "not showing enough fire!" on the sidelines? "He needs to go nuts and send a message!" I remember those posts all too well.

I was thinking the same thing as I typed that response above.

The truth is, it is probably preferable to have a balance--a coach who exudes a cool, calm demeanor on the sidelines who sets the tone for the rest of the team, but knows when to mix in some appropriately placed enthusiasm to fire up the troops.

A coach has to be who he is but always act with respect and not lose his XXXX. Marrone was pretty stoic and that worked for him just as Tom Landry, Bud Grant and Sabin were/are. SS is not built that way and he will continue to grow as a HC as long as he continues to learn from his mistakes. He admits he was wrong, he didn't try to defend it with BS. I have a lot of faith in SS as HC.

What were the hysterics that Shaf did yesterday? I'm curious or is this being blown out of proportion?

And yes it's hilarious the beating Marrone took around for not showing enough fire on the sidelines.

What were the hysterics that Shaf did yesterday? I'm curious or is this being blown out of proportion?

And yes it's hilarious the beating Marrone took around for not showing enough fire on the sidelines.

I believe they are referring to what Shaf said regarding Dabo at the end of the first half. Which is what 50% of us would have said. If you want to see a raving lunatic on the sidelines watch a BC game and Captain Caveman. To me this is being blown completely out of proportion. I have no qualm with Shafer's actions or discipline.

This is probably on another thread, but I worry about a head coach who loses his . What kind of example is that? There is a boundary between passion and ugly hysteria, and he crossed it yesterday.

Exactly my issue with Steve Addazio. Shafer needs to do a better job managing games.

Except that Marrone did show more fire in his 4th and most successful season, and talked openly about it. Some of his players also spoke about that as well.

Likely, Shafer will moderate with experience. Being placid wasn't the biggest issue for Marrone; being too agitated isn't the biggest issue for Shafer.

I dont know why this even comes up as a debatable issue. For one, the players were the ones who implored Marrone to be more demonstrative during the game. The turning point in the season last year came when we grinded out that win at the end of the game against Pitt. Doug was cheerleader supreme during that closing quarter. Second, anyone that knew or knows Marrone would tell you the sideline stoic was an impostor.
College players definitely take there cues from the coaches. That's why you dont want them acting like nervous whirling dervishes on the sidelines either.

from the stands early in the 1st qtr, HCSS threw his headset and or visor, anyone know why??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom