Nassib and the draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nassib and the draft

The Steelers would love to have Nassib as their backup right now, and the Jets might start him.

He'll find a home as a backup.

I have no idea how to evaluate Nassib as a pro prospect. I do know that he is a guy you want in your foxhole. From what Doug says he "will play on Sundays". He has the size and arm together with the intelligence so he is a might be a great prospect for somebody.

Would be nice for his folks if the Eagles draft him but I wouldn't wish those fans on anybody.

Bills, Jets, Cardinals, Chiefs, Raiders and Eagles all need to do something in the draft. I don't know who needs backups but Ryan would seem to be a reasonable bet for some.

If he goes in the second or third round that would be great for him and great for the program.

im sorry, and i wish nothing but the best for nassib, but i just have a hard time believing theres been an NFL caliber QB under center all year.

im glad smart people say hes got the brain for it, just dont see the 'it' for it.

theres 32 starting QBs hes not 1 of them.

theres 32 backup jobs, id be shocked if a team went into a year with him as #2.

then, my guess is, theres about 20 3rd string or taxi squad guys out there (for example the Giants have 2 QBs, periloux didnt even get the courtesy of being cut/resigned to the taxi squad 15x this year) i dont follow the bottom rungs of QB depth charts to know exactly how many there is or what kind of turnover ratio is out there, but if we pump that 3rd rung up to 32...thats 96 jobs total.

ill be damned if 1 of those is his. but i guess orlovsky had a career, so hes got that going for him.
:noidea:

Look at the way he ran our hurry up offense once Pugh was back and he had adequate protection. His reads at the line of scrimmage under "2 minute drill" conditions were consistently excellent. The kid has something like 10 come from behind wins in the 4th quarter for his career. I think he's got a legit shot, although he is a couple inches shorter than what's considered ideal.

I have no idea how he will grade out physically, but if Hackett is correct Ryan will amaze coaches who get him in a room and ask him to break down a pro-style offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see his stock rise once those interviews take place.

He's an accountant. As an accountant myself, if there's one thing that good accountants can do, it is analyze.

If nfl gms had brains in their heads, they'd waste more picks on players that matter the most and get by with UFAs where there's less gap between average and good.

it requires some humility to admit that your odds of finding 1 qb who can play are better if you bring in more than 1, rather than pretending like you can just pick the 1 you KNOW is the one.

i don't think nassib can succeed in the nfl but he's worth a pick.

Well you didn't think he could succeed in college either. How'd that work out?

I'm not sure he's an NFL QB either, I just don't see him going in the top half of the draft.

I know I'm going way back, but who would've imagined Todd Philcox would've had a decent career as a backup? He had one year of playing QB in college under his belt. I know the game has changed, but I'd give Ryan a chance at making a roster.

I don't think Ryan will ever start a game in the NFL, but I think he could be a backup for four or five years. Nothing wrong with that.

Given the junk that DOES start NFL games (Lindley, Cassell, matt moore, etc), I'd never say that it's out of the realm of possibility that Nassib will find his way in the league. He reminds me a ton of Matt Flynn and I think his path for success would prpobably look the same. Be a 3rd string. Then a backup. Then get a chance due to injury or starter sitting out. Then cash in. I guess that's the Cassell and Lindley route, as well.

If nfl gms had brains in their heads, they'd waste more picks on players that matter the most and get by with UFAs where there's less gap between average and good.

it requires some humility to admit that your odds of finding 1 qb who can play are better if you bring in more than 1, rather than pretending like you can just pick the 1 you KNOW is the one.
It may not just be meatheadedness. I think there are restrictions in the CBA about how many QBs you can have on a roster and how you can use them, unless you're suggesting that they should draft more QBs and run them through the preseason and camp and then keep what they're allowed and stuff like that.

I was not aware that the CBA spoke to specific positions.

Like Jack Bauer said, Ryan Mallett is the future when Brady is gone... although that might not be for a while.

where has BB said that Mallett is the future? i haven't heard a peep about him. I wouldn't buy stock in him just yet.

Look at the way he ran our hurry up offense once Pugh was back and he had adequate protection. His reads at the line of scrimmage under "2 minute drill" conditions were consistently excellent. The kid has something like 10 come from behind wins in the 4th quarter for his career. I think he's got a legit shot, although he is a couple inches shorter than what's considered ideal.

Yep. And his height won't hurt him too much. He'll measure in at 6-2, which is adequate, plus he has a high point of release. Teams are going to like him a lot.

Well you didn't think he could succeed in college either. How'd that work out?

I'm not sure he's an NFL QB either, I just don't see him going in the top half of the draft.

booya! bitches! motherf*ckers! oh snap!

i hope the light goes on for allen sometime before 2016

Yep. And his height won't hurt him too much. He'll measure in at 6-2, which is adequate, plus he has a high point of release. Teams are going to like him a lot.

Tyler Wilson measures at 6-3 and no one seems to have an issue with his height ... he is high on a lot of draft boards. And yes I realize he is an inch shorter however he is nearly 10 lbs heavier ... Nassib is stronger and can make all the throws .. a team will scoop him up.

where has BB said that Mallett is the future? i haven't heard a peep about him. I wouldn't buy stock in him just yet.
They cut Brian Hoyer. I think that action speaks louder than words as they were pretty high on Hoyer.

They cut Brian Hoyer. I think that action speaks louder than words as they were pretty high on Hoyer.

timing doesn't line up for Mallett to work in NE. They'll flip him for a high draft pick before his contract comes up because they won't be able to pay him market rate while brady is still rolling (which he should be at that point). this is similar to what the falcons did w matt schaub and the eagles did with kold and aj feeley way back. the other alternative is just to let him go like the packers let flynn go.

timing doesn't line up for Mallett to work in NE. They'll flip him for a high draft pick before his contract comes up because they won't be able to pay him market rate while brady is still rolling (which he should be at that point). this is similar to what the falcons did w matt schaub and the eagles did with kold and aj feeley way back. the other alternative is just to let him go like the packers let flynn go.

Timing wouldn't work with Nassib either which was kind of my point.

Timing wouldn't work with Nassib either which was kind of my point.

The only way Brady gives up his starting job is if you pry it from his cold dead hands. Talk is he wants to play until he is forty which is five years away. I would not discredit any possibilities where nassib gets drafted. See gabbert, Blaine or locker, jake or tannehill, Ryan. The NFL is a copycat league. The problem with most teams is that they copy lunacy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom