Nassib needs to settle down out there at times he | Syracusefan.com

Nassib needs to settle down out there at times he

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Looks like he is slamming 16oz red bulls on the sidelines when he takes the field. Takes hits when he doesn't need to, slides when he should take hits. The pass was atrocious to sales, sales had the one key drop but seems to always make plays like the tipped ball. A 5th year senior should know better than to make the throw, get the 3 points and move on... This team needs to score every time they are in the redone... The fun and gun needs to go multiple and start running the football more.. Rutgers will give this offense fits if we come out one dimensional.. Yes we need to be multiple!!

Again, always felt that people are too hard on Smith here and a bit premature as annointing Broyld as the chosen one. Definitely thinking we will see Broyld more next week, he needs to quit dancing around out there

Glad to get the win, very tough to watch but better than watching nice losses at the end. We will need tom play much better to beat Rutgers, much better

From the television, it seemed like Nassib gave up on the pocket way too early on several plays. Now mind you, as SUTomcat pointed out in his dissertation re: game, there simply might not have been ANYONE remotely open downfield ... but from watching on television it seemed like he'd have a good pocket, yet take off running to pick up a few yards.

I agree, but I don't expect anything to change. I think Nassib is a smart kid that lacks instincts. He wants to make the right play, but he isn't a playmaker. He's probably our best quarterback this year, but I'll be interested next year to see if we have someone that'll make the unscripted play.

Heck, I don't want Nassib to make the unscripted play. I want him to hang in the pocket a bit longer (maybe another second) and let the routes unfold to find that open guy downfield (of course, they simply might not get open though ...). This is probably the best pass blocking offensive line we've had in a long time.

Heck, I don't want Nassib to make the unscripted play. I want him to hang in the pocket a bit longer (maybe another second) and let the routes unfold to find that open guy downfield (of course, they simply might not get open though ...). This is probably the best pass blocking offensive line we've had in a long time.
That's true too. I think because he lacks instincts, if someone doesn't come open right away he gets antsy.

Exactly what I was trying to say, hang in there bait longer settle down. He does a lot of good just seems jumpy out there

Look Nassib is a very anxious kid. He starts out every game jacked up and throws the ball too hard to somebody. He's just not the calm cool QB that you would ideally like to have.

I know this might seem strange to some but I thi I the kid would hugely benefit from having his anxiety treated. He's just too nervous sometimes to be effective out there.

when is the last time Nassib made a play when the pocket broke down? I don't count his chicken salad dance for 5 yards as making a play under those circumstances.

imgHappy%20Feet3.jpg

A
when is the last time Nassib made a play when the pocket broke down? I don't count his chicken salad dance for 5 yards as making a play under those circumstances.
ny kind of pressure and the kid just panicks. He's so nervous and it's blatanly obvious to everyone. It must be frustrating for the staff. I think things will change when Zack Allen takes over next year.

Looks like he is slamming 16oz red bulls on the sidelines when he takes the field. Takes hits when he doesn't need to, slides when he should take hits. The pass was atrocious to sales, sales had the one key drop but seems to always make plays like the tipped ball. A 5th year senior should know better than to make the throw, get the 3 points and move on... This team needs to score every time they are in the redone... The fun and gun needs to go multiple and start running the football more.. Rutgers will give this offense fits if we come out one dimensional.. Yes we need to be multiple!!

Again, always felt that people are too hard on Smith here and a bit premature as annointing Broyld as the chosen one. Definitely thinking we will see Broyld more next week, he needs to quit dancing around out there

Glad to get the win, very tough to watch but better than watching nice losses at the end. We will need tom play much better to beat Rutgers, much better
I totally gree that pas looked like a basketball pass. Ill advised as were many of his tuck and run decisions except for one very important late game first down . Ryan is not a running QB. He is able to roll right and find a receiver but yrsterday I think all the tight ends were tied up.

The QB needs to be aware because awareness and self talk can calm the nerves. If the QB sees a 4 man rush and the QB can see that the Oline is doing good work he can expect to have more time. The better the QB is at seeing what the defense is doing the better he can be at regulating his emotions. Successful tuck and runs against a 4 man rush usually come later rather than sooner because the DBs and the back end have been running all over the place and a hole opens up at the second level. It's a feel thing and a vision thing I think.

Then when the offense begins to have success against coverage and the extra time that gives the receivers to get open teams will adapt and bring more pressure. Awareness can allow the QB to respond appropriately to pressure. Awareness, the ability to self talk and experience brings confidence.

another big east game, another 105 rating. the hail mary was the worst pass I've ever seen. i wonder if people are rethinking how much they jumped on me . conference play is what matters.

getting pugh back doesn't solve the offenses problems.

sharpe was like freeney out there. so great. the defense saved the season.

so glad they didn't throw the ball at the end.

another big east game, another 105 rating. the hail mary was the worst pass I've ever seen. i wonder if people are rethinking how much they jumped on me . conference play is what matters.

getting pugh back doesn't solve the offenses problems.

sharpe was like freeney out there. so great. the defense saved the season.

so glad they didn't throw the ball at the end.
Did you notice which side ALL the running plays went on the last drive? Getting Pugh back improved at least 2 of the 5 OL positions and that never hurts. JP is a road grader and Hickey isn't far behind.

Line is getting better and if teams are going to attempt to shut down the pass, take the run all day long... Take what they give, we have 4 guys that can carry the ball

Did you notice which side ALL the running plays went on the last drive? Getting Pugh back improved at least 2 of the 5 OL positions and that never hurts. JP is a road grader and Hickey isn't far behind.

the line was very good yesterday. passing game is still a problem

Forget the stats. Ryan is mediocre at best. He lacks pocket awarness, vision, and touch. Good kid who has achieved much and i love his guts but he is limited.

We have a good college QB with obvious limitations. Last night he struggled with his awareness, but he is improving.

I watched Geno Smith this morning on a Gameday segment, and when he was shown the same kind of throw his immediate response was the QB needs to throw to the back shoulder in a place where the defender has no chance to make a play. Geno also said that a year ago he was terrible at making that throw. Geno Smith has shown amazing improvement.

SU's QB is improving, and I expect him to grow more now that the Oline is healthy and better.

We have a good college QB with obvious limitations. Last night he struggled with his awareness, but he is improving.

I watched Geno Smith this morning on a Gameday segment, and when he was shown the same kind of throw his immediate response was the QB needs to throw to the back shoulder in a place where the defender has no chance to make a play. Geno also said that a year ago he was terrible at making that throw. Geno Smith has shown amazing improvement.

SU's QB is improving, and I expect him to grow more now that the Oline is healthy and better.
he's not improving. 2 good games then 2 bad games vs d1

To synthesize this thread:
Ryan is a good kid who has no pocket awareness, gets happy feet, can't create a play, needs his anxiety treated, has no touch, lacks vision, doesn't let plays develop, gets too amped, can't run and is mediocre at best.
Yet he's going to break every SU passing record and is the best QB SU has had since McNabb left.

Ryan is a good kid who has no pocket awareness, gets happy feet, can't create a play, needs his anxiety treated, has no touch, lacks vision, doesn't let plays develop, gets too amped, can't run and is mediocre at best.
Yet he's going to break every SU passing record and is the best QB SU has had since McNabb left.
that's pretty much it. says a lot about how much SU used to like to run the ball and how much we stunk since mcnabb.

(but paulus, who stunk, is still better despite throwing a hundred interceptions)

that's pretty much it. says a lot about how much SU used to like to run the ball and how much we stunk since mcnabb.

(but paulus, who stunk, is still better despite throwing a hundred interceptions)
Yup, you are right. I guess theres nothing more to add to this thread.

Nassib simpy doesn't make anyone around him better. If the OL is blocking well, the RBs are running hard, and the WRs are getting open and holding onto the ball, then he's fine. But he's just not ever going to be the kind of player that regularly overcomes things breaking down and bails us out.

What can you do, it ain't changing. We can win some games with him at the helm. Hopefully 4 more.

If Graves or McNabb got to throw the ball 40+ times a game they'd have all the records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom