Nassib... | Syracusefan.com

Nassib...

SaintTristan

Starter
doesnt suck as much as many here would have you believe. Great game. Best QB we have had since Donnie. Should have started two yrs ago too. we wasted a yr.

And congrats to Coach. Great win for the program.

Agreed - I have no idea how anyone could watch his play over the last 2 years and say that in the very least he's not an average QB. Other then the 1 really bad game this year he is consistent - which I know is a word that nobody wants to hear about the QB play. It starts with consistency though, there are lots of QB's that get a lot of praise and then break down when things get tough (Geno Smith).

Still manage to stick one at Paulus. So sad.

Reactions: CIL
doesnt suck as much as many here would have you believe. Great game. Best QB we have had since Donnie. Should have started two yrs ago too. we wasted a yr.

and you know splitting time hindered his development how? I love that people equate playing more with developing quicker.

I was one who thought he should have been handed the keys when Paulus went into his mid-season swoon but it is what it is.

Ryan takes too much grief on this board. I have felt for a long time that he was our best QB since McNabb and last night we saw what he can do when his OL holds up

He will get a long look in the NFL.

Not saying he's gonna be a star, but he will get an opportunity to make a team.

A quiet leader who deserves better than he has gotten on this board recently.

I just don't see that. I think his accuracy is still his biggest problem and lack of accuracy is only amplified at the NFL level.

I like the way he distributed the ball around. Did not lock in on one receiver. With his 4 TD passes he now has 15 for the season and the single season record of 22 (McNabb & McPherson) is well within reach. This is also all-time win #690 - only 6 behind WVU. If both teams keep playing like they did last night, that gap may narrow a bit this year!!!

I just don't see that. I think his accuracy is still his biggest problem and lack of accuracy is only amplified at the NFL level.

He's completing almost 65% of his passes, FYI...

I understand that but a large part of that is our receivers making some spectacular grabs right now. See West's one handed grab, Lemon's rebound grab and Provo's "needed a ladder" catch on his first TD. Not slagging Ryan but his accuracy is his biggest limiter IMO.

He made some very difficult throws into tight coverage and the receivers held on. Deserves a ton of credit.

Should have started two yrs ago too. we wasted a yr.
Do you honestly believe he was ready? Really?

Sure, it may have paid off a bit now, but HCDM made it clear that "we need to win now". Paulus brought some excitement and a better chance to win at the start of the season. Would it've been nice if Paulus had a college season under his belt before playing in the Dome? Sure. I have no problem with HCDM's decisions on this front.

Nassib is creative. He has quick mechanics. He doesn't take forever to throw and he looks his players open. He rarely throws a wobbly ball. I think he could see a camp atleast. Don't think he'll be drafted, but I bet he gets looks. Shame he isn't two inches taller. Plus, I think he is really bright, knows football. That can get you far.

After suffering through the Anderson/Nunes/Patterson/Fields/Robinson years behind center, I am simply shocked that any knowledgeable SU football fans would even think about crapping on Ryan Nassib. Yes he laid a BIG egg in the Rutgers game, but the entire team played like crap. Otherwise, he has been nothing but consistent and better than anything standing behind center since McNabb. Ryan has done nothing but immerse himself in this offense and lead a very young, inexperienced team to what could be two straight bowl games.

Anyone that bashes Ryan needs to go throw in some old game tapes from 2005 before they post.

I give Marrone the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was doing. How do we know that Nassib simply wasn't ready physically or mentally, and having a year to improve his game and learn the system is the reason he's playing so well today?

34 TDs, 12 INTs as a starter -- Pretty safe to say he's more than a game manager. He is pretty darn good.

We throw the ball 5 yds at a time... Stats lie Aka Ty detmer

He has troubles throwing the ball downfield. It is GLARING.

I do like him as our leader though. But he has a lot of improving to do to get an NFL look

After suffering through the Anderson/Nunes/Patterson/Fields/Robinson years behind center, I am simply shocked that any knowledgeable SU football fans would even think about crapping on Ryan Nassib. Yes he laid a BIG egg in the Rutgers game, but the entire team played like crap. Otherwise, he has been nothing but consistent and better than anything standing behind center since McNabb. Ryan has done nothing but immerse himself in this offense and lead a very young, inexperienced team to what could be two straight bowl games.

Anyone that bashes Ryan needs to go throw in some old game tapes from 2005 before they post.

Right on.

We throw the ball 5 yds at a time... Stats lie Aka Ty detmer

He has troubles throwing the ball downfield. It is GLARING.

I do like him as our leader though. But he has a lot of improving to do to get an NFL look

Disagree. I think we are only just starting to develop guys who can get separation.

During the Paulus season, we used to bring in Nassib PRECISELY to throw long because Paulus couldn't do it. Everybody in the stadium knew he was going to do it and yet he managed just fine. Marrone abandoned the long ball once Ryan became a starter because we have 1) struggled to protect him, and 2)our WR's rarely were able to get open long. The upside is that he has developed better touch on the short to intermediate passes that was lacking when he was a frosh

I think you're underestimating how much the NFL likes to have a lot of films on QBs - they're going to have some 40 game films on Nassib by the time he finishes up. The film from last year looks a lot different from the film from this year, so they'll be able to watch his growth and improvement. He'll be a pretty well known quantity with a track record for making strides. I can see a team taking a flyer on him in the later rounds.

I understand that but a large part of that is our receivers making some spectacular grabs right now. See West's one handed grab, Lemon's rebound grab and Provo's "needed a ladder" catch on his first TD. Not slagging Ryan but his accuracy is his biggest limiter IMO.
Too funny --- so his receivers had to make 2 (i'm not counting the td pass as a hard catch) plays... all others were in their pockets?? that to me sounds like a great qb... btw the west pass was on target... couldn't have been anywhere else for a catch. I'll give you lemon's... nassib was fantastic last night.

Better than todd philcox and Kevin Mason?

Nassib's timing and rhythm last night were better than I've seen maybe ever. The week off definitely helped, and I wonder if he bought into visualization. He's a very cerebral guy, but you can't think timing and rhythm. He played with a better feel last night.

Better than todd philcox and Kevin Mason?

I think he was referring to McNabb

I'll tell you what though, he has a lot of Philcox in him albeit being surrounded by much less talent than Todd had to work with.

Todd only really played his final season. He completed 61% of his passes for 2206 yards, 17 TD's and 11 ints

Through only 7 games this year, Ryan has completed 66% of his passes for 1523 yards, 15 TDs and 4 ints

The comparison is not as far apart as you might think

Todd had better touch, but then again he was throwing to Rob Moore and Deval Glover. Think about that for a moment...anybody looking at Van and Alec, squinting real hard and seeing Rob F-ing Moore? I'm sure not.

I'm not saying that Ryan will enjoy the journeyman career that Todd did either. But I think that by the end of next year, Ryan will finish his SU career near or at the top in most major passing records and we'll look back on him as one of the great SU QB's at a school that hasn't had many of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom