National Scope / NCAA Elite 2021/2022 Discussion Thread | Syracusefan.com

National Scope / NCAA Elite 2021/2022 Discussion Thread

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
As implied this thread is meant to discuss at teams / games of other top teams.

Discuss the elite teams.
Games involving elite teams.

I find these discussions get scattered across multiple threads, so maybe can centralize here. Although you can post wherever you want!!

Although I would prefer this thread doesn't head into cheating / paying. Just keep it to the floor.

So let's discuss Baylor-Nova

Last edited:
At the half
Baylor 25, Nova 15

Did not watch any of the first half, but I can only imagine it was not pretty.

17 points total for villanova a few minutes into the second half. very physical defense but they are not good.

Unfortunately don't get the Purdue / NC St game... 64-64 in the last minute.

Now NC St 66-64, 27.0 seconds left.

What a brutal weak for Purdue. Get to #1,and Lose at Rutgers, and now potentially lose at NC St.
I had Purdue as my favourite to win the title before the week started. Certainly being re-evaluated.

Two particularly brutal butthole places to lose at.

17 points total for villanova a few minutes into the second half. very physical defense but they are not good.

We have seen those type of team do well however in recent years.
But when they have bad games they look really bad. And Villanova looks really bad today!

Which brings up my next point - the NCAA loves to waste money. What is the point of sending the NCAA tournament chair to this game.

1. They say they don't really rely on the "eye" test.
2. And if they do rely on the eye test sending a guy to watch a game or two of each team solves absolutely nothing. Every team has good games and bad games. It's chance at what games they go to . And many teams win "uglier" than others.
3. What is the chair going to see up close that can't be seen on TV.

What a waste.

Purdue / NC St going to overtime.

EDIT - Purdue up 5, 2 minutes to go in OT1.

Last edited:
Might be a case of "the matchups." I gotta study further. I still recall the fear I had in 2003 over the possibility of S.U. facing UCONN in the Tournament.

Wonder what team will be the last undefeated?
There are currently 7 such teams. Interesting that some of the teams will face each other in the next few weeks.

1639344469435.png

Baylor Upcoming Schedule. Not much reason to think Oregon will be able to test Baylor, so we have that game on Jan 1 at Iowa St, with an "empty" undefeated recorded as well to look forward to.

1639344555207.png

Arizona Upcoming Schedule. I really doubt they will be undefeated by January 3rd. This is probably the hardest stretch of 3 consecutive road games anybody will have all year -- at Tennessee, at UCLA, at USC.

1639344732735.png

Purdue pulls it out in overtime against NC ST.
They were down 2 and tied it up late in regulation.

We have seen those type of team do well however in recent years.
But when they have bad games they look really bad. And Villanova looks really bad today!

Which brings up my next point - the NCAA loves to waste money. What is the point of sending the NCAA tournament chair to this game.

1. They say they don't really rely on the "eye" test.
2. And if they do rely on the eye test sending a guy to watch a game or two of each team solves absolutely nothing. Every team has good games and bad games. It's chance at what games they go to . And many teams win "uglier" than others.
3. What is the chair going to see up close that can't be seen on TV.

What a waste.
didnt realize all that...but i didnt think nova was very good in the syracuse game even though they won. that game was there for the taking.

i cant beleive that nova is top 20 in the country let alone top 6.

Nova playing Top 5 UCLA, Purdue and Baylor and then also Top 20 Tennessee in the non-conference. That is a gauntlet.

LSU Upcoming Schedule - More likely than not, that they lose one of the two games (at Auburn, Kentucky)

1639345026715.png

USC Upcoming Schedule - few tests that could trip them up on the road, but could well go undefeated into that Arizona matchup.

1639345128982.png

Iowa St upcoming Schedule - Cupcake City until Baylor. So looks like the Baylor / Iowa St on Jan 1, and the USC/Arizona match on Jan 2 could determine the last undefeated.

Iowa St is only #50 in KP, but they have beaten some decent teams - Creighton, Xavier, Memphis, Iowa, so its not only the schedule for them.

1639345186700.png

San Francisco - Upcoming Schedule as they try to stay last undefeated.
Two highlights here
1. "Academy of Art University". Anybody remember the old Onion skit of the NCAA tournament being expanded to 4,000 teams. This seems like one of the name of the schools they made up to be in their brackets.
2. They might make it to January 6, so they have a chance to be last man standng. Then it will be over by then as they play at Gonzaga.

1639345656209.png

COLORADO ST - Playing at Alabama on December 21st. They won't make it pass that.

didnt realize all that...but i didnt think nova was very good in the syracuse game even though they won. that game was there for the taking.

The rest of my post (after the first two lines) was all a rant that was totally unrelated to your post. Sorry for any confusion.

Villanova is a hard read. They did beat a good team Tennessee convincingly and been convincing in their not so marquee games. They were #6 in KP. Of course they have played 3 top 10 teams now and lost each one. You could argue they were top 10 before today, but now now. I think they are more in that 15 range.

Baylor fans with the stupid "overrated" chant that happens in many places.

It makes no sense to me. Why put down a major win you just had?

NCAA Basketball is oddly like the NFL this year. Not so much "parity," (Brent Musberger educated us decades ago on this), but more like a crazy crapshoot at any time.

WE made ‘Nova look good. Some credit to the ‘CUSE is in order.

Glad we avoided Baylor in Atlantis. Their team athleticism is pretty awesome. They would have smoked us.

Glad we avoided Baylor in Atlantis. Their team athleticism is pretty awesome. They would have smoked us.

Interesting question. My initial answer was I would have preferred to beat VCU. And if we got clobbered by Baylor so be it.

But looking at it further. if we beat VCU then get hammered by Baylor, we probably lose to UConn as well.

So neither of the scenarios are very pleasant.

A reminder to all who may have somehow forgot. One of the greatest rivalries in NCAA basketball is currently being played right now:

Seton Hall vs Rutgers

A reminder to all who may have somehow forgot. One of the greatest rivalries in NCAA basketball is currently being played right now:

Seton Hall vs Rutgers
yeah...soooooo...

seton hall looking good in the first half

Yeah, it's crazy I remember being told a certain former player was clearly overrated and overhyped because he transferred from such an elite program to such garbage program that is *checks notes* 8-1 and ranked in the Top 25.

Kadary also leading Seton Hall with 12 points tonight.