Navy & the Acc | Syracusefan.com

Navy & the Acc

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
Not sure if this idea has been posted anywhere, but heard some radio commentators talking about this yesterday. Given the special relationship that ND and Navy have, could they possibly be invited to the Acc as a lure to bring ND into the fold? Great academics; fits the footprint; national stature; not a threat to MD or the basketball programs; adds another "more" northern school to balance possible divisions or pods. I like the idea personally.

And, it brings lax to 6 - enough to be recognized as an official conference by the NCAA, and hence obtain AQ status.

Interesting thought.

good for Lax...good for academics...okay for football and does nothing for bball...but an interesting perspective...maybe Navy and ND; or Navy and CT; or ND and CT...and that is as far as I would go

I threw that out there a few days ago. Not sure how Navy would feel about joining for all sports as I think their interest in the possibility of joining the BE was as a FB only. Would be another great road trip though.

the ACC should not be, and is not...interested in navy.

next.

Navy plays all sports but football in the Patriot League and that is just about the right level of competition for them. Their football team could probably handle competition in the proposed New New BE, but I'd hate to see them have to play Georgia Tech, Clemson, FSU and VT on consecutive weekends.

the ACC should not be, and is not...interested in navy.

next.

And please, no partial members. Just an all-sports conference. PLEASE.

The problem with Navy is they have a limited ceiling in terms of the athletes who are willing to go there

I suspect the ACC would accept Navy if ND insisted on Navy joining as a condition for ND joining the ACC. Any new member would have to compete in all sports, though, as I'm pretty sure that would be a requirement. I don't think the ACC would like the idea, but in order to land ND they might would do it. IF ND does ever join, it will probably be with CT.

Just another reminder of how dumb some of the talking heads on radio and TV can be.

The problem with Navy is they have a limited ceiling in terms of the athletes who are willing to go there
I am pretty sure you can't be bigger than a certain size either.

BBall would be a huge blow if they came along. So I would say no chance they get invited.

BBall would be a huge blow if they came along. So I would say no chance they get invited.

They're miserable in basketball. Saw a game last year where Elon came in and kicked their ass.

I suspect the ACC would accept Navy if ND insisted on Navy joining as a condition for ND joining the ACC. Any new member would have to compete in all sports, though, as I'm pretty sure that would be a requirement. I don't think the ACC would like the idea, but in order to land ND they might would do it. IF ND does ever join, it will probably be with CT.

Agreed and if Navy has to come along to land ND then do it!

Basically whoever ND wants ACC gets - should they choose to come to the ACC.

It used to be no taller than 6'6". David Robinson grew after he got there.

And, it brings lax to 6 - enough to be recognized as an official conference by the NCAA, and hence obtain AQ status.

Interesting thought.
Why does LAX need an auto bid? pretty much every ACC team makes the tourney every year. An auto bid doesn't matter to SU, MD, Duke, NC, or UVA.

It used to be no taller than 6'6". David Robinson grew after he got there.
Actually, I think it was 6-8, but I could be mistaken.

Can we stop with the talk of service academies in BCS conferences?

Can we stop with the talk of service academies in BCS conferences?

We can still talk about them in the Big East. That shitshow shouldn't be long to be a BCS conference.

Why does LAX need an auto bid? pretty much every ACC team makes the tourney every year. An auto bid doesn't matter to SU, MD, Duke, NC, or UVA.

It doesn't need an auto bid. It's a nice-to-have. Not that anyone in the ACC cares, but with an auto-bid, a lot of criticism of the ACC tournament goes out the window. It would no longer only be a get-together to increase everyone's SOS. A guaranteed bid would be on the line.

Also, in those years where (god forbid) we may need to win the tournament to get in, the option would be there. I think that was one of the reasons Desko and SU finally caved regarding the BE league. We missed the NCAA's and thought that a second chance looked pretty good.

I agree, in most years we wouldn't need it. But it would be nice to have if we did need it.

I'm really surprised that Wake Forest doesn't offer men's and women's lacrosse. They seem to have the profile of the prototypical LAX school: private, highly selective, draws lots of students from prep schools and large, suburban school districts.

True. But they don't need to be a powerhouse or even on par in all sports. Every conference has to have it's lower rungs. If it leads to ND joining the ACC, and Navy is competent in FB and Lax, then that's fine with me. I don't see the service academies in a BCS conference, but you never know.

True. But they don't need to be a powerhouse or even on par in all sports. Every conference has to have it's lower rungs. If it leads to ND joining the ACC, and Navy is competent in FB and Lax, then that's fine with me. I don't see the service academies in a BCS conference, but you never know.
...and dont forget, the BE likes Navy...ugh

I'm really surprised that Wake Forest doesn't offer men's and women's lacrosse. They seem to have the profile of the prototypical LAX school: private, highly selective, draws lots of students from prep schools and large, suburban school districts.

Frankly, I'm surprised BC doesn't.