NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick." | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick."

not per the numbers...

It's still close re: 3 ball. Beal scored more and rebounded better as a true SG. Good comparisons though Beal and Klay Thompson for Mali. Beal is the best athlete of them all, imo. Mal I think has the potential to be a solid defender.

I'm sure they do make some of them, but I have a really hard time buying into the idea that Dwight Howard is an 85% shooter in practice and a 50% shooter in games. I understand guys can hit 3's in practice and not be able to do it in a game because there's so many variables involved there, but you have to have some serious concentration issues if you're automatic at the FT line in practice and completely horrific in games.

I watched Stevie Thompson hit one after another in practice. He could string 10-15 in a row regularly. How was he in a game?

I feel like people thinking free throw shooting is easy is akin to people thinking that it's easy for a punter to control where their punts go.

Free throw shooting IS easy...for some people. For others it's a struggle. You tend to shoot better from where you take most of your practice shots. A lot of guys don't practice FTs. They spend a ton of time on threes, though.

Free throw shooting IS easy...for some people. For others it's a struggle. You tend to shoot better from where you take most of your practice shots. A lot of guys don't practice FTs. They spend a ton of time on threes, though.

I'd like to see CBB bring back the rule where a team can choose to keep possession by bringing the ball in from out of bounds instead of shooting FTs.

This is pretty far off from what JB was saying.
I believe this is not off from what JB was saying. I believe he was saying until a player gets to the individual workouts nobody knows whether a player is flying up or down draft boards and the statements to the contrary at that point in the process was media hype.

I'd like to see CBB bring back the rule where a team can choose to keep possession by bringing the ball in from out of bounds instead of shooting FTs.
Was that a rule?

I believe this is not off from what JB was saying. I believe he was saying until a player gets to the individual workouts nobody knows whether a player is flying up or down draft boards and the statements to the contrary at that point in the process was media hype.

Which he is right about, no one knows what these teams draft boards look like, teams give out smokecreens and false info all the time when it comes to the draft.

Briancuse said:
Which he is right about, no one knows what these teams draft boards look like, teams give out smokecreens and false info all the time when it comes to the draft.

I think you are confusing what GM's and teams say to the media and what they say to agents and players.

You don't hear about it that much - but after the draft you always get a bunch of guys saying "so and so told me" or "I knew they really liked me" ...

It's not all smokescreens.

Not me. It's part of the game.

Our coaches are telling GM's that exact comparison when they are calling inquiring about Malchi.

they can sell their guy as much as they want, and they should, but take a freakin step back and think about this concept of richardson being in the same solar system as Thompson. Thompson in one of the best basketball players on earth

they can sell their guy as much as they want, and they should, but take a freakin step back and think about this concept of richardson being in the same solar system as Thompson. Thompson in one of the best basketball players on earth
Can't say I disagree with you but I'm just telling you what I know and what the coaches view his potential as.

Chad Ford update this morning:

Malachi Richardson, SG, Fr., Syracuse
Richardson was late to the conversation as a potential one-and-done, but since he has committed to the draft, more and more teams have come to see him as top-20 pick. His combination of size -- 6-foot-6 with a huge, 7-foot wingspan -- NBA body and quickness makes him an attractive wing.

What scouts love most about Richardson is his ability to get his own shot off the bounce. He's one of the few guards in this draft who can really create offense for himself getting to the rim.
It's his jump shot that raises questions. He shot a solid 35 percent from 3 as a freshman but just 22 percent on 2-point jumpers. His workout on Tuesday in Vegas was designed to try to quiet the skeptics. He shot extremely well, going 13-for-15 from the NBA 3 in one drill and 20-for-25 in the second. He also shot well in 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 action.

Teams have concerns about his defense, but it's almost totally based on the NBA's discomfort with Syracuse's zone defense schemes, as they just don't translate to the NBA. Richardson will face a learning curve there.

For the most part, however, teams don't seem to be turned off. From my canvassing of the gym, most had him in the No. 12-22 range. The Jazz, Bulls, Celtics, Nuggets, Pacers, Hawks and Hornets are showing significant interest. Richardson has already worked out with the Jazz and Hawks and has the Suns on Wednesday and Denver later in the week. I think his floor will be Philly at No. 24.

Chad Ford update this morning:

Malachi Richardson, SG, Fr., Syracuse
Richardson was late to the conversation as a potential one-and-done, but since he has committed to the draft, more and more teams have come to see him as top-20 pick. His combination of size -- 6-foot-6 with a huge, 7-foot wingspan -- NBA body and quickness makes him an attractive wing.

What scouts love most about Richardson is his ability to get his own shot off the bounce. He's one of the few guards in this draft who can really create offense for himself getting to the rim.
It's his jump shot that raises questions. He shot a solid 35 percent from 3 as a freshman but just 22 percent on 2-point jumpers. His workout on Tuesday in Vegas was designed to try to quiet the skeptics. He shot extremely well, going 13-for-15 from the NBA 3 in one drill and 20-for-25 in the second. He also shot well in 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 action.

Teams have concerns about his defense, but it's almost totally based on the NBA's discomfort with Syracuse's zone defense schemes, as they just don't translate to the NBA. Richardson will face a learning curve there.

For the most part, however, teams don't seem to be turned off. From my canvassing of the gym, most had him in the No. 12-22 range. The Jazz, Bulls, Celtics, Nuggets, Pacers, Hawks and Hornets are showing significant interest. Richardson has already worked out with the Jazz and Hawks and has the Suns on Wednesday and Denver later in the week. I think his floor will be Philly at No. 24.
the more one and dones there the less we have to worry about the zone. how many guys are learning how to play NBA defense in a year of college? congrats you played man to man against some guy with cankles at BC, you'll be all set to guard durant

the more one and dones there the less we have to worry about the zone. how many guys are learning how to play NBA defense in a year of college? congrats you played man to man against some guy with cankles at BC, you'll be all set to guard durant

It really is a minor issue when there are guys like Brandon Ingram coming in that weigh the same as I do but are also a foot taller.

Looks like the right decision for Mal. Good for him. His work ethic, quick release, and elevation on those 3s is very attractive, IMO.

Malachi Richardson is the champion of the eye test at the 2016 NBA Draft

Interesting article that highlights much of the debate we have had here regarding the eye test vs analytics with Mal.
He certainly fits the part physically. He was a volume 3-point shooter who went through a very poor stretch early but actually improved his deep shooting in league play, and obviously showed flashes of brilliance as a shooter/scorer. His poor shooting percentage on 2-point jumpers is somewhat of a concern but is the product of a fairly small sample. He did consistently draw contact and get to the line quite frequently, even though he did not finish at the rim that efficiently. His age (20) certainly plays in his favor now, and it appears he may have made a very good decision.