NBA scouts "Ennis between 20-25" and could use another year. | Syracusefan.com

NBA scouts "Ennis between 20-25" and could use another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmahaCuse

Starter
He may find himself in the D league for the next couple of years. He could have used at least 1-2 more years to get his body ready and improve his shot. He also needs get better at finishing inside and specifically on the fast break. Bad move, IMO

MISLEADING.

Full article:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...scouts_weigh_in_on_syracuses_tyler_ennis.html

"I think there's going to be a lot of interest in him,'' a Western Conference scout said. "A lot could depend on how he does at the combine (May 14-18 in Chicago). If he measures well there, I could see him going 10 to 15.''

"I'd venture to say he'll be picked somewhere late lottery to 20 or 25,'' a second Eastern Conference scout said. "This time of year, it's still hard to say, but late lottery is probably where he'll end up.''

"He's got a great floor game,'' the Western Conference scout said. "He's a really good decision-maker.''

"All these kids would benefit from going back to school, but he'll be a valuable commodity in the draft,'' the scout said. "There's not a lot of good point guards available and teams have needs at that point. It's hard to tell a kid to wait when he's going to be drafted.

"He's a good player,'' the scout added. "I like him.''

He may find himself in the D league for the next couple of years. He could have used at least 1-2 more years to get his body ready and improve his shot. He also needs get better at finishing inside and specifically on the fast break. Bad move, IMO
I really find it hard to believe that if this is the feedback he's getting that he decided to leave.

This is what I don't get. I figured he wasn't a lottery pick based on the other guards, team needs in the lottery, and the amount of talent in the draft. He stays, he a definite lottery pick next year, he leaves, and he potentially looking at a Donte type fall.

People have been mentioning some of our busts and successes in the draft, but it's not even about that, it's about where you're drafted which is extremely important. Financially as well as the look you're going to get from a team. Guys drafted in the lottery will at some point get minutes, guys drafted 18-30 may not see the court or spend some time in the D-league.

I don't think he made the right decision and it's not because I'm selfish and want him here, I think he made the wrong decision because I think think he went when his stock could have been the highest. If he's a 20-30 pick, even if he waited a year he would make more money being a top 10 pick with taking a year of no income and most likely be able to get more playing time being a higher pick giving him a better chance to get a second contract or a really big second contract.

I think the combine is going to hurt him as well, I don't think he measures what is listed and if he does one thing above another point guard athletically there I would be shocked.

If hes being told last half of the first round, i'd be shocked, and would have no clue why he would go pro.

Most mocks ive seen have him in the last half of the lottery and if thats the case, he had to go.

From ESPN.com

The analytics perspective

Kevin Pelton: While Ennis' stats regressed a bit after we checked in on his rise midseason, he remains a top-10 prospect by the numbers. Basically, anything not related to scoring was a strength for the precocious Ennis. Only one other prospect in my database, Ty Lawson, combined a translated assist rate better than seven percent with a turnover rate of less than 15 percent of his plays.

From a statistical standpoint, the biggest question about Ennis is whether his impressive steal rate will translate going from Syracuse's 2-3 zone to a man-to-man. Historically, players at the top of Jim Boeheim's zone have collected extra steals that disappear in a more traditional defense. If Ennis' steal rate dropped by 1/3, Paul would no longer appear at the top of his similarity list and Rondo would also drop, though it would still include players like Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook in the top five. If Ennis develops anything like those predecessors, he'll be the steal.

The scouting perspective
Amin Elhassan: Ennis possesses good size for a point guard, with decent arm length. In transition he likes to push the ball up the court via dribble as opposed to hit-aheads. He's a very composed, mature player, but as a result is overly conservative at times. He has great command of the ball and rarely makes sloppy miscues when handling. Ennis has good speed but just doesn't have that burst to blow by defenders without a screen, and as a result doesn't get deep penetration often. He's just as likely to pull up for a midrange shot as he is to get to the rim, and he's not a particularly good midrange shooter.

Playing for Syracuse has been of benefit to him because they run a ton of pick-and-roll action, so he's pretty advanced in that regard. He does a good job of being patient with screens and not taking off prematurely. (This leads to moving screen fouls called on the big.) He passes well with either hand, a rarity among college guards, let alone for a 19-year-old.

Defensively, he carries the same stigma as every other Syracuse product that comes to the NBA: a majority of his playing and practice time was spent in a 2-3 zone. Comparatively speaking, he performed well, anticipating in the passing lanes adeptly, but that's more of a back-handed compliment.

The NBA front office perspective
Ennis might have been the most consistent freshman in college basketball this year. He's a consummate point guard who shows a terrific balance between scoring and facilitating. He has a great court sense and rarely makes the wrong play. For coaches who love steady play and consistency, you don't get much better than Ennis.

However, Ennis isn't a slam dunk NBA prospect. He's not an elite athlete, has just a so-so jumper and has struggled at times to finish in traffic around the rim. I wonder if he'll be more of a Mario Chalmers-type point guard at the next level -- a guy who won't hurt you and will just go about quietly running a team without fanfare. He might have a higher ceiling than that, but for many NBA teams, that would be enough. Expect him to go somewhere between No. 6 and No. 12.

To be honest I was shocked he made his decision this early. There are always late NCAA darlings that make a name for themselves in the NCAA. That's really where MCW's performance lifted his draft status. Plus making a decision later knowing who most of the early entrees are, also gives players valuable information in estimating where they may be drafted .

Good luck to him but praying that he completes his school work this semester so his leaving early doesn't affect SU and his former teammates for years with a destructive APR hit.

This is what I don't get. I figured he wasn't a lottery pick based on the other guards, team needs in the lottery, and the amount of talent in the draft. He stays, he a definite lottery pick next year, he leaves, and he potentially looking at a Donte type fall.

People have been mentioning some of our busts and successes in the draft, but it's not even about that, it's about where you're drafted which is extremely important. Financially as well as the look you're going to get from a team. Guys drafted in the lottery will at some point get minutes, guys drafted 18-30 may not see the court or spend some time in the D-league.

I don't think he made the right decision and it's not because I'm selfish and want him here, I think he made the wrong decision because I think think he went when his stock could have been the highest. If he's a 20-30 pick, even if he waited a year he would make more money being a top 10 pick with taking a year of no income and most likely be able to get more playing time being a higher pick giving him a better chance to get a second contract or a really big second contract.

I think the combine is going to hurt him as well, I don't think he measures what is listed and if he does one thing above another point guard athletically there I would be shocked.

I don't think this is true at all to be honest. I think he's striking while the iron is hot. If he stays another year, I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped to the end of the 1st.

My guess is he'll end up slipping in this year's draft down to the 15-20 range, but who knows. Everyone assumes that he'll start to drop once people see his combine numbers, but you never know. I think you could make a case that the expectations for guys like Ennis and Jabari are so low for the combine, that if they can just put up average numbers, it'll boost their stocks a little more. Regardless, I think this year is Ennis' best chance of being drafted in the lottery.

He needs to stay...he does not have an NBA body yet.

Why would he be able to develop his body any better here than in the NBA?

I think many times when someone says "he could have used another year", its more like he could have used another year to raise his draft stock - not necessary he could have developed more at Syracuse over the next year. Of course, he could have lost some stock as well.

I'm not convinced with this argument that a player develops better in college.. if they have the maturity and mindset to work on the game while on the bench in the NCAA. To me 500 minutes of NBA time, with practice / strength training from NBA personnel, realizing where your true strenghts and weaknesses lie, is usually more valuable than playing an extra season in college

Why would he be able to develop his body better here vs, NBA? How about ridiculous NBA travel schedule, better facilities, another year of aging.

You should write headlines for Fox News.
Assume you guys remember what happened to Donte Green? He was a cant miss lottery pick, left school early despite not being ready and guess what dropped into late first round (I think). Just saying there is a chance Ennis drops to the 20-25 range and this ends up being a bad decision. He is not a absolute sure fire lottery pick like Parker etc.

Why would he be able to develop his body any better here than in the NBA?

I think many times when someone says "he could have used another year", its more like he could have used another year to raise his draft stock - not necessary he could have developed more at Syracuse over the next year. Of course, he could have lost some stock as well.

I'm not convinced with this argument that a player develops better in college.. if they have the maturity and mindset to work on the game while on the bench in the NCAA. To me 500 minutes of NBA time, with practice / strength training from NBA personnel, realizing where your true strenghts and weaknesses lie, is usually more valuable than playing an extra season in college
Because in the NBA, time isn't on your side. If you struggle early on, you head to the d-league. It's a lot easier to grow and be recognized in college than it is to in the d-league or the end of an NBA bench.

Is there time for him to reconsider? Does he have an agent and if so he can't? Will the combines take place after the reconsideration date? Very possible he may have pulled a Donny Greene. What a kick in the arse for all if he did.

Is there time for him to reconsider? Does he have an agent and if so he can't? Will the combines take place after the reconsideration date? Very possible he may have pulled a Donny Greene. What a kick in the arse for all if he did.

If he hasn't hired an agent, then yes there is still time. If he entered his name in to the draft he'd have until April 15th to remove it. If he hasn't entered his name in to the draft he'd have until April 27th to make up his mind.

The draft combines take place in May.

To be honest I was shocked he made his decision this early. There are always late NCAA darlings that make a name for themselves in the NCAA. That's really where MCW's performance lifted his draft status. Plus making a decision later knowing who most of the early entrees are, also gives players valuable information in estimating where they may be drafted .

Good luck to him but praying that he completes his school work this semester so his leaving early doesn't affect SU and his former teammates for years with a destructive APR hit.
This is what concerns me, for his sake. If his father's story is true, there was no discussion with Tyler or JB until early this week. Seems like it would be hard to gather the necessary info and do your due diligence in such a short time frame and with so much uncertainty about who will be in the draft.

Cheriehoop said:
To be honest I was shocked he made his decision this early. There are always late NCAA darlings that make a name for themselves in the NCAA. That's really where MCW's performance lifted his draft status. Plus making a decision later knowing who most of the early entrees are, also gives players valuable information in estimating where they may be drafted . Good luck to him but praying that he completes his school work this semester so his leaving early doesn't affect SU and his former teammates for years with a destructive APR hit.

He's skipped class the last two days.

Dante has made 5 million so far.. What percentage of college graduates earn that much?

I don't think this is true at all to be honest. I think he's striking while the iron is hot. If he stays another year, I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped to the end of the 1st.

My guess is he'll end up slipping in this year's draft down to the 15-20 range, but who knows. Everyone assumes that he'll start to drop once people see his combine numbers, but you never know. I think you could make a case that the expectations for guys like Ennis and Jabari are so low for the combine, that if they can just put up average numbers, it'll boost their stocks a little more. Regardless, I think this year is Ennis' best chance of being drafted in the lottery.
Good post. He should be one of the top 2/3 point guards in this years draft and doubt he could improve much on that waiting another year. It would be great if he stayed another year but the name of the game for the elite players is NBA, not college.

Seems that there is differing assessment of Ennis coming from different NBA people.
Just hope he got intel from the "right" NBA people and that is what prompted his decision.
Color me skeptical about that intel, and about his long-term prospects in the league.

Kid could thrive if drafted by the right team. Take the Spurs for example, who play an old school game. TE would be a great fit in Pop's system.

This is what concerns me, for his sake. If his father's story is true, there was no discussion with Tyler or JB until early this week. Seems like it would be hard to gather the necessary info and do your due diligence in such a short time frame and with so much uncertainty about who will be in the draft.

This is a very good point; it pretty clearly seems like he had his mind made up. For a top 3 prospect like Wiggins, no biggie. And for a kid who struggles academically like say Fab, fine also. But I never got the impression Tyler was that kind of student where he'd struggle to stay eligible.

The key for me would be able to get as much info as possivle. I hope he didn't listen to one guy who said he was a top 8 pick or whatever and that was it.

Why would he be able to develop his body better here vs, NBA? How about ridiculous NBA travel
schedule, better facilities, another year of aging.

Not sure I follow this; is the argument SU has better facilities than NBA teams? I mean I guess I don't know for sure, the Melo center is great, but i dunno, I would assume NBA teams have pretty damn good weight training facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.