NBA scouts "Ennis between 20-25" and could use another year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA scouts "Ennis between 20-25" and could use another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dante has made 5 million so far.. What percentage of college graduates earn that much?
not many. the average harvard mba even makes less than that that over his/her career ($3.3M over 20 years).

however, most most NBA players go broke after making that much salary. so are they really better off? they get caught up in the spending habits of being a NBA player

mscanlo said:
not many. the average harvard mba even makes less than that that over his/her career ($3.3M over 20 years). however, most most NBA players go broke after making that much salary. so are they really better off? they get caught up in the spending habits of being a NBA player
Donte isn't keeping his gross wages either...

Kid could thrive if drafted by the right team. Take the Spurs for example, who play an old school game. TE would be a great fit in Pop's system.

He reminds me a bit of Cory Joseph, who already plays there and also seems like a great fit for that organization.

Basically the worst case projections have him going in the late lottery and people are still criticizing his decision? I can just imagine what some of you would do if you were criticized for deciding they want to be a millionare.

i dunno... if i got offered a job transfer and a million dollar raise came with it this year; or i could stay at my current job and have my pick of any female(s) i wanted as well as being the most popular guy in the building... and then take the transfer a year later with a three million dollar raise, i would choose to wait. I wish Ennis well, but this was not the correct move. He did not "have" to go as some people state.

PS - sorry about the run on sentence, didnt know where to put a period lol

cuseguy said:
He's skipped class the last two days.

From what I've heard Grant hasn't gone for weeks. (From somebody who is in one of his classes)

BludOrange said:
Kid could thrive if drafted by the right team. Take the Spurs for example, who play an old school game. TE would be a great fit in Pop's system.

Would he? The have Tony Parker in that system who isn't going anywhere and is nothing like Tyler Ennis from a scoring, speed, and ball handler standpoint.

This is what I don't get. I figured he wasn't a lottery pick based on the other guards, team needs in the lottery, and the amount of talent in the draft. He stays, he a definite lottery pick next year, he leaves, and he potentially looking at a Donte type fall.

People have been mentioning some of our busts and successes in the draft, but it's not even about that, it's about where you're drafted which is extremely important. Financially as well as the look you're going to get from a team. Guys drafted in the lottery will at some point get minutes, guys drafted 18-30 may not see the court or spend some time in the D-league.

I don't think he made the right decision and it's not because I'm selfish and want him here, I think he made the wrong decision because I think think he went when his stock could have been the highest. If he's a 20-30 pick, even if he waited a year he would make more money being a top 10 pick with taking a year of no income and most likely be able to get more playing time being a higher pick giving him a better chance to get a second contract or a really big second contract.

I think the combine is going to hurt him as well, I don't think he measures what is listed and if he does one thing above another point guard athletically there I would be shocked.

You know what I don't get? Ennis has made his decision. He doesn't give a what you our anyone else on here thinks about what he should do. How many threads have to be posted that discuss this very thing?

It is time to move on. He isn't coming back. Worry about what Grant is going to do, question how good Joseph or McCullough will be when they get here, wonder about how much the other current players will improve, but you have to learn to let it go. Wish him well, and move on...

I think he ends up falling out of the lottery IMO. JB usually has a great read on this and it is obvious he advised him to stay. If you fail at your first chance in the NBA it's really difficult to lose that stigma.

I do think Tyler is catching lightning in a bottle. A guy like Brandon Triche sticks out to me here. He got stuck playing the two for us because that's what we needed out of him, but if he played the point for us would he of been drafted? If you compare skill set and athletic ability he's a player who I would think have more upside than Ennis.

anomander said:
Basically the worst case projections have him going in the late lottery and people are still criticizing his decision? I can just imagine what some of you would do if you were criticized for deciding they want to be a millionare.

I've seen projections at the 15-20 range and quotes from a gm/scout said 20-25. He is not a slam dunk lottery pick. Not to mention I don't think the combine is going to help him too much, he needs to show a lot of things there that he didn't here.

Antiprodigy said:
You know what I don't get? Ennis has made his decision. He doesn't give a what you our anyone else on here thinks about what he should do. How many threads have to be posted that discuss this very thing? It is time to move on. He isn't coming back. Worry about what Grant is going to do, question how good Joseph or McCullough will be when they get here, wonder about how much the other current players will improve, but you have to learn to let it go. Wish him well, and move on...

I guess we should shut the forum down then. Didn't realize that my opinion had no baring on what Ennis did. Should probably cancel all sports tv shows as well as their opinions don't matter as well.

Assume you guys remember what happened to Donte Green? He was a cant miss lottery pick, left school early despite not being ready and guess what dropped into late first round (I think). Just saying there is a chance Ennis drops to the 20-25 range and this ends up being a bad decision. He is not a absolute sure fire lottery pick like Parker etc.

My comment wasn't about whether or not Ennis would be a lottery pick or not. My comment related to you taking a quote out of context and using it to push your own agenda.

(And yes Killdozer, I could have said MSNBC as well.)

I've seen projections at the 15-20 range and quotes from a gm/scout said 20-25. He is not a slam dunk lottery pick. Not to mention I don't think the combine is going to help him too much, he needs to show a lot of things there that he didn't here.

Not sure how much it really matters, but the scout in the article who said he might go 20-25 also said he thought ht was going late lottery. So, kinda confusing

"I'd venture to say he'll be picked somewhere late lottery to 20 or 25,'' a second Eastern Conference scout said. "This time of year, it's still hard to say, but late lottery is probably where he'll end up.''

Dante has made 5 million so far.. What percentage of college graduates earn that much?
if he earned 5 million how much did he actually take home after taxes and agent fees. less than half. add in the money probably spent on toys andhousing and probably very little left in the bank for the next 40 years.

upperdeck said:
if he earned 5 million how much did he actually take home after taxes and agent fees. less than half. add in the money probably spent on toys andhousing and probably very little left in the bank for the next 40 years.
With no degree. It's funny how that part completely gets skipped over...

With no degree. It's funny how that part completely gets skipped over...

I don't really have a strong stance on guys leaving early one way or another. But seriously, what do these guys that flameout and have no degree fall back on? They don't have the name to get into broadcasting or a similar field and they didn't spend enough time in their college communities to be able to go back and find a career with a former booster or something.

Now Donte is still playing in China and probably making pretty decent money over there (far more than most 26 year olds), but that can't last forever. Hopefully he is making enough to be able to save enough to be comfortable in his post-playing days.

If a player wants to return to get their degree, most schools have a program in place to help them. Don't know about the NBA, but the NFL teams pay for players to take classes to complete their degree (might even pay for graduate school, but I am not certain)

I didn't see 20-25 anywhere.

From what I've heard Grant hasn't gone for weeks. (From somebody who is in one of his classes)
A couple days by Ennis doesn't bother me (yet). He's probably got some business to attend to. The skipping of weeks by Grant doesn't sound good.

It's true Tyler Ennis needs to get stronger for the NBA.
He also needs to show he can run the break at that level.
But...the SU point guard's job is going to be much tougher next year without CJ Fair around.

I think he would slip if he stayed another year. He would be competing with incoming freshman as well as current college point guards. Look at the point guards at St. Johns and Kentucky, not as polished as Ennis but much more upside. There are probably quite a few more out there.

My comment wasn't about whether or not Ennis would be a lottery pick or not. My comment related to you taking a quote out of context and using it to push your own agenda.

(And yes Killdozer, I could have said MSNBC as well.)

Agenda? My point with posting the article is the kid is not a absolute lottery pick and my opinion is he may have made a mistake, just like Donte Green did. It's okay to have a opinion some end up right some end up wrong and I sure hope he did his homework because some pundits are saying he could slip and if he has a bad work out may drop etc.

My opinion was that Dion Waiters made the right move as did MCW, they were both assured of going very high and had off the charts athleticism that 100% works for the NBA. I think Ennis is a terrific kid and player and has a legit chance to be a NBA PG just think he needs more seasoning.

MISLEADING.

Full article:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...scouts_weigh_in_on_syracuses_tyler_ennis.html

"I think there's going to be a lot of interest in him,'' a Western Conference scout said. "A lot could depend on how he does at the combine (May 14-18 in Chicago). If he measures well there, I could see him going 10 to 15.''
"I'd venture to say he'll be picked somewhere late lottery to 20 or 25,'' a second Eastern Conference scout said. "This time of year, it's still hard to say, but late lottery is probably where he'll end up.''

"He's got a great floor game,'' the Western Conference scout said. "He's a really good decision-maker.''

"All these kids would benefit from going back to school, but he'll be a valuable commodity in the draft,'' the scout said. "There's not a lot of good point guards available and teams have needs at that point. It's hard to tell a kid to wait when he's going to be drafted.

"He's a good player,'' the scout added. "I like him.''
Hmmmm...Misleading? This guy has a opiniony could be late lottery or 20-25? Again, hope he did his homework.

not many. the average harvard mba even makes less than that that over his/her career ($3.3M over 20 years).

however, most most NBA players go broke after making that much salary. so are they really better off? they get caught up in the spending habits of being a NBA player

A career is 20 years?

Eh, I think he did the right thing. Said it before, but I just don't see him helping himself if he stays. I think once the combine hits he may fall a bit as it stands now. We'll see - projecting this stuff isn't a science obviously.

Not sure what he does at an NBA level. He takes 25 seconds just to get the offense started. That won't work in the NBA. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.