NBA Summer League: Donte and others | Syracusefan.com

NBA Summer League: Donte and others

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Orlando Summer League just tipped on NBATv... Donte on Nets, Onuaku on Pacers, but hasn't checked in(not sure if hurt or what). Donte looking very active. Has 6 pts in the 2nd with a few boards. Hitting the glass harder than usual and playing hard. Maybe things have finally clicked a bit for him. ... As far as other cuse guys in Orlando, obviously Grant is playing with Philly, who plays at 1pm. Not sure who else is in Orlando. I know CJ is on the Mavs in LV, James on NO, Triche-NY.

Not trying to hate but has Donte always been that big?

Not trying to hate but has Donte always been that big?
The last time we saw him (unless you followed him in the NBA) he was a extremely tall and lankly 18 year old; alot can change in 6 years.

I hope Donte makes a good impression and can stick on a roster. I still have hope that he might be able to salvage a couple years in the NBA if he can be consistent with his outside shot and rebound.

Noel looking good, showing no lingering issues as far as his movements and he's been very active. No Grant yet.

Is it strange that Oladipo is playing for Orlando? I thought the second year guys generally only played summer league if they didn't get much floor time in their rookie year.

Is it strange that Oladipo is playing for Orlando? I thought the second year guys generally only played summer league if they didn't get much floor time in their rookie year.
Yeah I see what you're saying. But I think there's probably many different reasons, one of could be since he's going to be designated as a 2 now and played a lot of pg last season? Get familiar with Payton, building chemistry? Just a thought.

Yeah, Noel is looking good. Grant launched a corner three and charged so far. Looks lost.

Grants jumper is just plain bad. He has a lot of work to do over the summer.

Noel looking really good. I can't tell any difference between Grant and Noel's body's.

Yeah I see what you're saying. But I think there's probably many different reasons, one of could be since he's going to be designated as a 2 now and played a lot of pg last season? Get familiar with Payton, building chemistry? Just a thought.

Very good points. I didn't watch enough Orlando to really know his role was changing - I just paid enough attention to the NBA regular season to know he had a pretty good year. But makes a lot of sense.

Very good points. I didn't watch enough Orlando to really know his role was changing - I just paid enough attention to the NBA regular season to know he had a pretty good year. But makes a lot of sense.
And then like the announcer said, you have guys not playing like Harkless, he should definitely be playing.

Grant better step it up better than he did today or he won't even make the awful 76ers.
That's why he made a big mistake coming out.
He's lucky the Philly is the team that drafted him.
His offensive game isn't even good by college standards...let alone the NBA.
So the question is can he make the roster based on defense and rebounding with the hope of developing some kind of shot?

Hard to make many conclusions from summer league. Better if a guy plays well, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's shot if he plays poorly.

Hard to make many conclusions from summer league. Better if a guy plays well, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's shot if he plays poorly.

Well, teams will let a high profile lottery pick slide and play poorly in summer league and let him figure it out. Not much patience for second rounders playing poorly.

Well, teams will let a high profile lottery pick slide and play poorly in summer league and let him figure it out. Not much patience for second rounders playing poorly.
I'm sure Philly drafted Grant knowing that he would need time to develop. So I doubt after one summer league they'll give up on him. If he continues to struggle, then I think he'll spend most of next season either in the D-league(Philly has their own affiliate) or stashed away in Europe, with the D-league being most likely imo. If it's more of the same when next year comes around then as you said being a second rounder would make Philly have less patience with him and he could be looking for work elsewhere. Lets hope he can figure things out and eventually find a steady role with the team.

Sure there is.

Lets compare Kris Joseph to Jerami, both early second rounders but Kris was an all around solid player that really impressed in summer league with double digits in points and was a monster on the boards. He ended up getting shipped to the d league and never really stuck. Jerami has a more upside but who knows if he will ever get there. He certainly didn't look like he belonged out there today.

I'm sure Philly drafted Grant knowing that he would need time to develop. So I doubt after one summer league they'll give up on him. If he continues to struggle, then I think he'll spend most of next season either in the D-league(Philly has their own affiliate) or stashed away in Europe, with the D-league being most likely imo. If it's more of the same when next year comes around then as you said being a second rounder would make Philly have less patience with him and he could be looking for work elsewhere. Lets hope he can figure things out and eventually find a steady role with the team.

Jeff Withey, the 39th pick in 2013, was traded by Portland to New Orleans and he stuck all year with the Pelicans. Khris Middleton, the 39th pick in 2012 by Detroit was sent down to their D-League team and then called up just 7 days later back to the Pistons but played sparingly. Over the summer he was traded to Milwaukee and ended up a starter for them. It does look like that teams do give these kids some time to develop. Hopefully Jerami can continue the good fortune and take advantage of the opportunities that the last two #39 picks have had.

Lets compare Kris Joseph to Jerami, both early second rounders but Kris was an all around solid player that really impressed in summer league with double digits in points and was a monster on the boards. He ended up getting shipped to the d league and never really stuck. Jerami has a more upside but who knows if he will ever get there. He certainly didn't look like he belonged out there today.

Not a good comparison since Kris Jo was with a veteran Celtics team that year and as an older guy, he wasn't seen as a guy with a lot of "upside". Fab didn't get a lot of time in Boston that season and he was a 1st rd pick. Doc wanted nothing to do with young players that weren't ready to help (in fact Ainge picking Fab over someone who could have helped the Celtics bench that season didn't sit well with Doc at all).

Philly isn't going to be playing either of their 1st round picks this year. Unless they go out and sign other players who get cut, or cheap veterans like they did last year, Grant is going to have his opportunities with them, or the D-League team, to show he can contribute. I don't think anyone expects much offense from him, but will he be able to defend/rebound enough to earn a rotation spot is the real question.

heck mcw struggled his first few games in summer league with that i think jermai will be ok and he may see alot of time since joel embiid is pretty much out for the year.but a big loss is piere jackson who tore his achilles..

heck mcw struggled his first few games in summer league with that i think jermai will be ok and he may see alot of time since joel embiid is pretty much out for the year.but a big loss is piere jackson who tore his achilles..

We've been through this. Totally different with MCW vs Jerami. They handed the keys to the bus to MCW immediately to learn and work through it. Guaranteed starter. Grant is looking for a roster spot.