NBA Summer League: Donte and others | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Summer League: Donte and others

Orlando Summer League just tipped on NBATv... Donte on Nets, Onuaku on Pacers, but hasn't checked in(not sure if hurt or what). Donte looking very active. Has 6 pts in the 2nd with a few boards. Hitting the glass harder than usual and playing hard. Maybe things have finally clicked a bit for him. ... As far as other cuse guys in Orlando, obviously Grant is playing with Philly, who plays at 1pm. Not sure who else is in Orlando. I know CJ is on the Mavs in LV, James on NO, Triche-NY.

I did not see Grant play, but these numbers are not exactly lighting it up:

J. GrantF11:141-20-11-2+51120602113

He only got 3 pts 2 rebounds but he only played 11 minutes. It still may be too early to judge if jumping to the NBA was a mistake.

grant will get a spot on roster due to the injuries and saric over seas for 2-3 more years and philly's top brass like him. i been a 76ers since for 40 yrs and glad they kept mcw but as much as i like mcw his numbers where inflated by the system 76ers play..

Dave85 said:
I did not see Grant play, but these numbers are not exactly lighting it up: J. GrantF11:141-20-11-2+51120602113 He only got 3 pts 2 rebounds but he only played 11 minutes. It still may be too early to judge if jumping to the NBA was a mistake.

I saw most of the game and he was hampered with foul trouble. Got his 3rd just 5 minutes into the game. His only basket was the first of the game.

I saw most of the game and he was hampered with foul trouble. Got his 3rd just 5 minutes into the game. His only basket was the first of the game.

I thought there was no fouling out in summer league games?

shandeezy7 said:
I thought there was no fouling out in summer league games?

I'm pretty sure Grant fouled out.

I'm pretty sure Grant fouled out.

I heard them discuss this rule while I was watching some game action this weekend. You can't foul "out" in the traditional sense, where you'd be forced to leave the game. You can play despite having the [NBA limit] sixth foul called. However, each subsequent foul that player commits from then on results in two shots and the ball for the opposition after some arbitrary point late in the fourth quarter--so pulling a guy out at that point might make game sense, depending on the score, etc.

RF2044 said:
I heard them discuss this rule while I was watching some game action this weekend. You can't foul "out" in the traditional sense, where you'd be forced to leave the game. You can play despite having the [NBA limit] sixth foul called. However, each subsequent foul that player commits from then on results in two shots and the ball for the opposition after some arbitrary point late in the fourth quarter--so pulling a guy out at that point might make game sense, depending on the score, etc.

That makes sense. I knew they got more than 5 and when he got his 6th just assumed he was done and stopped watching.

Is it strange that Oladipo is playing for Orlando? I thought the second year guys generally only played summer league if they didn't get much floor time in their rookie year.

Jonas Valanciunas got some decent burn with the Raptors 2 years ago as a rook, and he still played in summer league

http://www.nba.com/games/20140709/PHIBKN/gameinfo.html
Another solid game for Grant scoring 12pts, 5rbs, 2blks in 22 minutes. He actually shot 2-3 from 3pt and is 3-4 overall from 3 in his last 2 games. If he can find a way to knock down the 3 ball consistently or at least be a threat from there, then that will be a good look for him finding long-term stability in the Association. Donte had 17pts but only shot 6-19(4-10 from 3), 7rbs, and 4ast.

http://www.nba.com/games/20140709/INDOKC/gameinfo.html
AO scored 10pts and 5rbs in 19 minutes.

Last edited:
http://www.nba.com/games/20140709/PHIBKN/gameinfo.html
Another solid game for Grantscoring 12pts, 5rbs, 2blks in 22 minutes. He actually shot 2-3 from 3pt and is 3-4 overall from 3 in his last 2 games. If he can find a way to knock down the 3 ball consistently or at least be a threat from there, then that will be a good look for him finding long-term stability in the Association. Donte had 17pts but only shot 6-19(4-10 from 3), 7rbs, and 4ast.

http://www.nba.com/games/20140709/INDOKC/gameinfo.html
AO scored 10pts and 5rbs in 19 minutes.

Encouraging progress from Jeremi! Not everyone can be Melo the first game out. I'm especially encouraged about his outside shot. I've mentioned before but he made a few three's his freshman year. So I thought he at least had something to work with as far as an outside shot with a good chance to improve.

I'll take that shooting percentage from 3 for Donte but needs to do a little better from closer range. 7 boards is a good sign though.

I hope AO can stick as a backup center somewhere. He at least has the body for the NBA I would say.

I missed Grant's game last night but caught his stat line. What was the difference? In the first few games I watched, Philly had him playing in the low block on defense and he could not hold his man since his lacks lower body strength.

If Grant can hit some 3's he has a shot as the SF. A front line of Embiid, Noel and Grant sounds pretty damn athletic. Add in MCW as a 6'6" PG and that's some serious length! Maybe they can get Donte to play SG. :)

Onuaku looks great... knees seem to be holding up better than last yr, where after a game or late in a game, he would barely be able to get up court. When he gets the ball down low he's still automatic. Problem is he seems to be out there alot with Jake Odom...who can barely get the ball past half court. No reason why he can't stick on a team if healthy.

http://www.nba.com/games/20140710/INDMIA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore
AO finished up with 10pts, 9rbs, 3ast, and 1blk in 24 minutes. Hopefully he can continue to stay healthy and find a good spot to settle in, whether it's the NBA or overseas.
From Mike Waters' story:
"He established post position on offense...He dropped in a right-handed hook shot..."

Miss him. when was the last time we saw that from an SU center?

Hope he sticks with Indy.

The thing that sorta ... a little bit ... bothered me about Grant was that he was always looking for contact and the foul when he went inside. If he can convert those then I have to assume he will have some success. Also, I seem to recall in his freshmen year, when he subbed for James, that he hit jumpers more frequently than he did last year ... or maybe me old brain is not remembering correctly. I remember thinking that he was going to be money (CJ like) with his jump shot, but it never came to be ... so I think its my old brain just remembering what I wish Grant would have been last year. I love the mid-range jumper - so deadly, especially when the D is expecting you to drive.

His offensive game isn't even good by college standards...let alone the NBA.

I don't know why people continue to make these comments. His offensive game is not ready by NBA standards and he really needs to work on a jumper. That said, I was convinced by the way he played the last 15 games last year that he would have averaged 15+ for SU this coming season. He's so athletic that SFs/PFs in the college game cannot defend him within 12 feet of the basket. When he caught the ball within 12 feet with his back to the basket, he'd either make the bucket or get fouled 80% of the time. His spin move was so quick that the defenders had two choices... foul or get posterized.