NC St Trip Report | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NC St Trip Report

Someone needs to do a quick power ranking of the NC State Howl, the Pitt Panther roar, the Temple Owl screech, and all of the other mind-numbingly awful animal noises that these teams insist on playing after every play.

Someone needs to do a quick power ranking of the NC State Howl, the Pitt Panther roar, the Temple Owl screech, and all of the other mind-numbingly awful animal noises that these teams insist on playing after every play.
The Wildcat roar at Northwestern was pretty obnoxious too.

I didn't mind the Wolfpack howl. I did, however, find the 59 times they played AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" to be a little odd. I like AC/DC though, so could live with it.

The stadium looks full because everyone wears red and the seats in the lower bowl are red. (You listening SU?) I'd say about 15-20% of the lower bowl seats were empty. The funny thing is NCSt gives passouts and a ton of fans left to go out to tailgate at halftime. Most never returned. It kills any sort of home field advantage they have.

That said overall NCSt is a must do trip anytime it falls on a 3 day weekend...if you live in CNY you can make it down in 11 hours by car with a few quick stops. It is a nobrainer any weekend by car for those living within 5-6 hours.

Out of all the venues for college football that I have ever visited, and I have been to a fair number over the years, I have never seen a crowd that size (a legit 56K) that was so quiet. They didn't make noise on SU 3rd down plays, on big plays for NC State, or for anything. It was as though they had all been drugged.

The NC State people tried to get the crowd into it. They, like UConn and a couple of other schools with apathetic fan bases, make an announcement every time NC State gets a first down. Almost no one does it. I think we tried it at the Dome for a short time and rightly gave it up as a lame exercise. And like at the Dome, they tried to get the crowd to do an organized cheer, with one side of the stadium yelling "Wolf" and the other "Pack". Almost no one did that either. I heard no equivalent of "Let's Go Orange" and saw no evidence of other traditions or fan customs.

At one point in the game, it looked like NC State was going to break through their malaise and score a touchdown to take the lead. I think it was right after Thomas, their QB, had made a long run to get the ball to around the SU 25. The crowd started to show some signs of life. Mark said to me "looks like the crowd is finally going to be a factor", but they couldn't get a first down from there (a WR fell down on a pass to the right flat on 3rd down that would have otherwise been a first down) and that was the end of that.

The thing that was most shocking to me about the crowd though was its behavior before the game and after the half. At least 5K of seats were empty at kickoff time. When the 2nd half started, I would guess that 20-25K of the crowd was gone and they never returned.

The only other place I have seen whereI have seen similar behavior is BC, but even there, it wasn't as bad a situation as NC State has. By the start of the 4th quarter, the game was still very close and there were maybe 20K in the stands. Not sure if it was the misty rain, the boring play of their team or the lure of the tailgate (I am assuming the latter). But it was hard to fathom. A lot of people spent a lot of money to sit in uncomfortable chairs, smell bad hot dogs cooking (NC hot dogs are not good) and drink beer.

Out of all the venues for college football that I have ever visited, and I have been to a fair number over the years, I have never seen a crowd that size (a legit 56K) that was so quiet.
The capacity is 57K. What is a "legit 56k" ?

The capacity is 57K. What is a "legit 56k" ?

Might have had something to do with the fact it was faculty appreciation day and they gave thousands of tickets t faculty. It looked to us that at least 20% empty seats and probably another 20% left at halftime (it started to lightly rain).

That first down chant was pathetic - I have heard louder HS crowds.

Might have had something to do with the fact it was faculty appreciation day and they gave thousands of tickets t faculty. It looked to us that at least 20% empty seats and probably another 20% left at halftime (it started to lightly rain).

That first down chant was pathetic - I have heard louder HS crowds.
Right. So if the capacity is 57K and 20% never even showed up (that is consistent with what TexasMark said too), then how is it a "legit 56k" ? I don't understand that statement. No attendance figures in the dome are ever "legit" according to some but 20,000 under capacity (65% of capacity) and it is a "legit" 57k (98% capacity)?

Too bad they don't have a dome, maybe the other 20% who left to get out of the rain would have stayed.

Penn state roar is beyond annoying

I think you guys are wrong about 20% not being there, it wasn't 1 in 5 empty at all. That place was pretty full. You could hear a pin drop on the wet turf, but pretty full.

I think you guys are wrong about 20% not being there, it wasn't 1 in 5 empty at all. That place was pretty full. You could hear a pin drop on the wet turf, but pretty full.
Agree, once the late arriving crowd got in place maybe halfway through the 1st quarter, there were only a handful of empty seats. Too bad it didn't stay like that in the second half.

Agree, once the late arriving crowd got in place maybe halfway through the 1st quarter, there were only a handful of empty seats. Too bad it didn't stay like that in the second half.
On the TV, it looked like a lot of empty seats when they panned the stands.

On the TV, it looked like a lot of empty seats when they panned the stands.
There were a lot of empty seats early in the game and the whole second half. But it was very close to capacity from say 10 minutes into the 1st quarter to late in the 2nd quarter...

There were a lot of empty seats early in the game and the whole second half. But it was very close to capacity from say 10 minutes into the 1st quarter to late in the 2nd quarter...
I will let you guys who were there fight it out. Near capacity v. "about 15-20% of the lower bowl seats were empty" v. about 20% empty.

What I saw it appeared to be still quite a few empty seats on the First Level between the 20s...kinda like SU but you couldn't see it as well due to red seating and crummy visibility.

Just be happy that you made it out of there without getting peed on. I guess they didn't want to make a bad impression for your first ACC game. They need allies in their great war against Swofford.

Just be happy that you made it out of there without getting peed on. I guess they didn't want to make a bad impression for your first ACC game. They need allies in their great war against Swofford.

It was an odd scene...I guess a few folks were warmly received. The vast majority of us were just ignored. The most disengaged Home Crowd I witnessed in a long time. Thier team (NCSt) is a dumpster fire...but they could still get to 6 wins and embarrass the ACC in a bowl game.

Out of all the venues for college football that I have ever visited, and I have been to a fair number over the years, I have never seen a crowd that size (a legit 56K) that was so quiet. They didn't make noise on SU 3rd down plays, on big plays for NC State, or for anything. It was as though they had all been drugged.

This is what I thought both times I went to ND. The students are into it, and there are quite a few of them, but they were on the other side of the stadium. The rest of the ND fans will cheer on 4th down for the D (not necessarily 3rd) and they cheer for TDs. Other than that, quiet place.

I expected something similar to the noise at Tennessee or Auburn. It wasn't remotely close.

It was an odd scene...I guess a few folks were warmly received. The vast majority of us were just ignored. The most disengaged Home Crowd I witnessed in a long time. Thier team (NCSt) is a dumpster fire...but they could still get to 6 wins and embarrass the ACC in a bowl game.

I think they underestimated you. They'll probably be more hostile next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom