NC State Post-Game Discussion | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Post-Game Discussion

not even close to true. Did you really watch the entire game. Like the 1st half, which is half the game. Or the 3rd quarter which is 25% of the game. He held the ball way too long most plays, didn’t throw to players on their breaks, missed players open in front of him. He looked good at the end of the game when ncstate started playing a super soft zone and let SU pass the ball to eat up clock and not give up anything big.

I watched the game. Also, I'm not doing this this morning. Like myself, I hope you have a job to go to.

I watched the game. Also, I'm not doing this this morning. Like myself, I hope you have a job to go to.

fair enough. Just frustrated, sorry for being a douche. We see what happened differently. No big deal, that’s what a message board is for.

It's pretty clear based on the snow tire they had to put around DeVito's mid-section and how quick he is to try to slide and protect himself that he's playing injured. That's not toughness?

And his o-line rewarded him for going out there by giving up 8 sacks or something?

I mean... yeah, would have been good if he didn't eat that last one. But we're letting teams beat the Hell out of him.

He’s tough for playing, no doubt.

But sack statistics aren’t always on the OL. The book on Tommy is to blitz him frequently and play man coverage on the WRs. It has been since ND last year.

Tommy has to ID where the blitz is coming from, and potentially where he can exploit it. Dino had a talking to him mid way through the third quarter and he finally started throwing it - drawing some PIs and letting Jackson catch one.

I’ve seen some comments about our O on the last drive - it looked great because St rushed 4 and played zone behind it. Not the case most of the game.

Next week will be huge. Pitt only plays man and will attack all game. I’ll be watching to see if he’s learned from tonight, because there will absolutely be a bunch of chances out there.

Last year we did not see as much man, as teams were scared of Dungey’s legs and wanted to have eyes on him.

I think we win next week - Tommy and the OL aren’t going to see anything different than they did tonight. They’ll make some adjustments.

Two not very good teams played tonight. My concern is the talent coming in. Are we recruiting at a high level?
I was asking that myself all night - we should be farther along talent wise. I'm resigned to the game management and sideline decisions, but we need better people. Again its not year 2.

I have been the biggest Cordy supporter on this board. I was absolutely mad at his stupid yapping after a good play. I thought he should have stayed out of the game and sat the rest of the season
What was he yapping about? He’s not even a good player

There is a reason that WR's are quitting on routes and getting benched for bad body language. They are open a lot of the time and not getting the ball. He had time last night, he is holding the ball too long, only checking a single read.

He is not seeing the field.

The reason the offense clicked in the 4th qtr was that those plays were designed to hit the first read. Most plays were bubble screens, swing and flat passes underneath. Everything was close and short. The unfortunate part is that that is not how this offense is supposed to be run.
the other unfortunate part is it took until the 4th quarter to make that change. TD is a problem and his lack of quickness to buy time in the pocket is telling, but the adults wearing the headsets are getting my ire. They have had enough time - the product needs to be better. Last year was the fluke.

My only problem with TD (I think he will get better) is his resistance to actually throwing the ball unless the receiver is wide, wide open. You can have a DB on the receivers hip and still make the throw. He just won't let it go at times. Too worried about making a mistake I guess. We won't have much to lose soon. Hopefully he gets better as the season goes on. Our bad Oline play isn't helping, and I think the WR's are getting frustrated.

It's pretty clear based on the snow tire they had to put around DeVito's mid-section and how quick he is to try to slide and protect himself that he's playing injured. That's not toughness?

And his o-line rewarded him for going out there by giving up 8 sacks or something?

I mean... yeah, would have been good if he didn't eat that last one. But we're letting teams beat the Hell out of him.

He's doing his part in letting guys beat the hell out of him too.

I put more blame on the coaching and playcalls. I could be a millionaire on predicting whether we run or pass on a certain down. Run up the middle for 1-2 yards first down. 2nd down either WR screen or outside run for 3 yards. Then try and throw a 20 yard pass on 3rd and medium most drives

I didn’t even notice Cordy got put back in.. jesus

For those of you who think our talent base should be better ...get it together. The only reason you think our talent base should be better is because Dino took what we had and gave us hope with them.

He has one ten win season! You think that changes the whole roster??? Alakazam?? Give me a break people. It's horrible up in here. Horrible. If you follow recruiting you know that ratings have not changed all that much since Dino took over ...but he went 4-8, 4-8 in his first 2 seasons!

So one 10 win season and we're supposed to have a better roster and have a savior waiting in the wings because you believe Devito is a "bad qb???" Come on. Give me a break. Got the lynch mob up in here.

You want better players ...Dino has got to win with this team first ...and be consistently good at it. And btw, this team does have some playmakers even if everyone wants to close their eyes to it. Players make mistakes. How much does that nullify the good things they do? Apparently for some, it nullifies everything and we have to throw out the whole offense.

Unbelievable

Ability to move the chains? He had 300 yards passing on 29/39. Averages 7.7 per completion. There are a lot of things wrong with this team and Devito has his deficiencies, but he is not why they lost tonight. If he got sacked five times instead of 10 it may have made a world of difference.

Yeah but he’s out there packing stats. Stats aren’t everything...his qb IQ is SCARY bad. The intentional groundings, taking sacks...that’s what people are worried about.

it’s easy to pick up 10 yards and an easy completion when it’s 3rd and 37 or 3rd and 23...

Yeah but he’s out there packing stats. Stats aren’t everything...his qb IQ is SCARY bad. The intentional groundings, taking sacks...that’s what people are worried about.

it’s easy to pick up 10 yards and an easy completion when it’s 3rd and 37 or 3rd and 23...
the pro-football-reference site has an ANY/A stat that includes sack yardage in an adjusted yards per attempt. in the nfl, they've shown that sack yards are usually on qbs - bad sack totals follow qbs around who play with different lines.

I don't know of a reliable college site that tracks sack yards because so many college qbs run on purpose. and in college, you might have some really atrocious offensive lines, much more variable than the nfl

we're 116th in the country for tackles for loss, so much of that is on devito

standard qb numbers just don't work for devito. he has a good rating but there are just too many sacks.

the pro-football-reference site has an ANY/A stat that includes sack yardage in an adjusted yards per attempt. in the nfl, they've shown that sack yards are usually on qbs - bad sack totals follow qbs around who play with different lines.

I don't know of a reliable college site that tracks sack yards because so many college qbs run on purpose. and in college, you might have some really atrocious offensive lines, much more variable than the nfl

we're 116th in the country for tackles for loss, so much of that is on devito

standard qb numbers just don't work for devito. he has a good rating but there are just too many sacks.

exactlyyyy...and his offensive line last night wasn’t terrible. There were plenty of plays where it felt he had 5ish secs sitting back in the pocket

exactlyyyy...and his offensive line last night wasn’t terrible. There were plenty of plays where it felt he had 5ish secs sitting back in the pocket
I think they were terrible too though

Pass protection was decent in the first half (significantly improved from the last few games) and Tommy consistently held the ball way too long.

Pass protection broke down in the second half. I recall a play Jarveon was in and shaded toward chipping a DL and at the last minute decided otherwise to go out in the flat.

Pretty sure the guy he didn't help out on got the sack - and Tommy had zero time.

Agreed But doesn't this happen when you are just becoming the starter. In game situation?

This was his 6th game. And he’s not new to the position. At what point should simple logic and understanding of the game be expected?

You can’t take the sack.

As a fan, yes still around, i was embarrassed by our lack of offense. Our QB, although he did have a few good runs, hit the carpet too early in most runs. He looked injured each time he was hit...was he healthy for the game? On top of this, the enthusiasm I expected from the team coaches and players seemed very understated...it was more like we sleep walked all the way to the fourth quarter on offense.

The defense played a good game and deserve credit. I do not see the elevation of our team overall...I expected a better beginning to the season...lack of enthusiasm, poor play by the QB...and the front offense line has holes that don't look like being fixable.

I would give the team a D+...and the D stands for defense...the offense and QB, regardless of stats were pathetic.

I think they were terrible too though

they were more then fine most of the game. There were only a couple plays where there was absolutely nothing for TD to do. The other plays he’s not reading the D well, throwing the ball at the right point to the WR, seeing the field. He usually doesn’t move to the right spot in the pocket either so he’s moving into the pressure or running to his right.

the offensive line played pretty well over all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom