NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

What is the difference between a streak shooter and a great shooter? It has always seemed like a weird backhanded criticism that someone hits a lot of shots a row.

I've read, and can't remember who said it, a good shooter should hit the inside part of the rim 90% of the time. Obviously a swish or the like is included into that equation.

What is the difference between a streak shooter and a great shooter? It has always seemed like a weird backhanded criticism that someone hits a lot of shots a row.

Yeah I love the idea that shooting 42% from three over an entire season is somehow not good because one game he went 8-9 and another he was 1-6. Not every guy in the world can be Steph Curry and shoot 45% from three every single night.

Edit: he's 21st in the country in three point percentage and 26th in three pointers made. There's only 10 other guys in the entire country that are in the top 26 of both, but he's not good because he's had a couple clunkers here and there, I guess.

Last edited:
Players who primarily shoot threes will almost always be 'streakier' than those who mainly attempt higher percentage shots.

Everyone is a steak shooter: a series of makes followed by a series of misses. Even Curry has streaks where he can’t make a 3. Great shooters just have fewer long steaks of missing.

Everyone is a steak shooter: a series of makes followed by a series of misses. Even Curry has streaks where he can’t make a 3. Great shooters just have fewer long steaks of missing.

He does?

He hit a 3 in like 270 games in a row or something. Not the example to use here.

Buddy, Kid, Leo, Joe are examples of great SU shooters. They can make shots in a variety of ways and scenarios. Off the dribble, off screens, moving, stationary, backing guys down, runners, bank shots when needed, floaters, step backs.
Shooters only need a look to pull the trigger. They can score from any point. On balance off balance.
Streak shooters are " streaky " because in most cases they are one, maybe two dimensional shooters.
They need " their look, their spot."
Take them off that and the streak is over. That's the difference.

Consistency
No one actually looks to see who has less variance in game to game shooting

"Streak shooter" is just a way to dismiss guys who make a lot of shots

Like it's a bad thing to make shots in a row

He's shot 33% or better 17 times

What is the expectation for a shooter to not be considered a streak shooter?

Buddy, Kid, Leo, Joe are examples of great SU shooters. They can make shots in a variety of ways and scenarios. Off the dribble, off screens, moving, stationary, backing guys down, runners, bank shots when needed, floaters, step backs.
Shooters only need a look to pull the trigger. They can score from any point. On balance off balance.
Streak shooters are " streaky " because in most cases they are one, maybe two dimensional shooters.

Buddy was a great shooter - who shot 36.2% from three in his career and his best year was 38.3%.

Joe was a great shooter - who shot 36.3% from three in his SU career and his best year was 40.3%.

Bell is a 38.8% career shooter from three and is shooting it 41.6% this year and people rag on that. Insane.

He does?

He hit a 3 in like 270 games in a row or something. Not the example to use here.
Streaks and games are different, especially at the volume he shoots

12 out of 50 games this year he shoots sub 30%

Buddy was a great shooter - who shot 36.2% from three in his career and his best year was 38.3%.

Joe was a great shooter - who shot 36.3% from three in his SU career and his best year was 40.3%.

Bell is a 38.8% career shooter from three and is shooting it 41.6% this year and people rag on that. Insane.
If Bell took more bad shots and missed them in different ways , people would think he's a better shooter

We generally like great shooters talking bad shots around here. I want a better offense

I agree that Bell can't score in many different ways. But I don't think that is the same thing as saying he's a streak shooter

I don't want Bell trying to be Kobe.

I like offenses that get dunks and open threes

To be fair, most people's criticisms of Bell are not about the shooting, but everything else.

I think it's fine to criticize other aspects of his game. There's certainly room for improvement. I just think it's weird that a guy who had one of the best shooting games in Syracuse basketball history is catching flak immediately after it for not being a good enough shooter or whatever. He's a set shooter. That's his skill set, and he's damn good at it.

Consistency
Yep, that's what I would say as well. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone who is more consistent is better, they're just different. I think of it with golf... I'm pretty consistent and tend to score in the 80-84 range (not many blow ups). My buddy, on the other hand, can score a 75 just as easily as a 90. Looking at our average scoring though, we're about the same overall.

Are there really any numbers that support Bell being a streaky shooter? I'm not so sure I would even use that term with him.

Streaks and games are different, especially at the volume he shoots

12 out of 50 games this year he shoots sub 30%
Joe Girard has shot under 30% 5 games out of the 25 he's played this year. He's #12 on the list.

Koby Brea (#1 on the list) has also shot under 30% 5 games out of the 25 he has played.

I'm not sure what any of this really means.

By the way, is Chris also playing for another team? How does he have 50 games this year?

Yep, that's what I would say as well. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone who is more consistent is better, they're just different. I think of it with golf... I'm pretty consistent and tend to score in the 80-84 range (not many blow ups). My buddy, on the other hand, can score a 75 just as easily as a 90. Looking at our average scoring though, we're about the same overall.

Are there really any numbers that support Bell being a streaky shooter? I'm not so sure I would even use that term with him.
I think the streaky label is because he's streaky as far as PLAYING in general. If he's playing well and into the game, he's shooting well and vice versa. If he's not, he general either shoots poorly (0-4 in BC loss, 0-5 from 3 in wake loss) or just doesnt play at all (11 mins vs Duke). I thought after that UNC performance he was going to start knocking good games off, then he kind of disappeared scoring-wise for GT when we could have use his scoring...then he comes back and hits 8 3s in the first half vs NC State...so hopefully he can start stringing together complete games down the stretch and gain momentum into next year

I think the streaky label is because he's streaky as far as PLAYING in general. If he's playing well and into the game, he's shooting well and vice versa. If he's not, he general either shoots poorly (0-4 in BC loss, 0-5 from 3 in wake loss) or just doesnt play at all (11 mins vs Duke). I thought after that UNC performance he was going to start knocking good games off, then he kind of disappeared scoring-wise for GT when we could have use his scoring...then he comes back and hits 8 3s in the first half vs NC State...so hopefully he can start stringing together complete games down the stretch and gain momentum into next year
Then he's more of a streaky player if you're talking about other things he does (i.e. rebounding, defense, etc.). Also, I think that's pretty accurate. I'm just not sure I'd call him a streaky shooter though. His last 5 games from 3pt: 80%, 29%, 43%, 40%, and 80%. However, to be fair, games 6 and 7 he shot 0%.

I think with Chris, strictly from a shooting perspective, he started the season not shooting very well. Around the mid point of the season, against BC, he's shot MUCH better. During this time frame (going back to Jan 10), he's shooting 47.8% from 3.

Then he's more of a streaky player if you're talking about other things he does (i.e. rebounding, defense, etc.). Also, I think that's pretty accurate. I'm just not sure I'd call him a streaky shooter though. His last 5 games from 3pt: 80%, 29%, 43%, 40%, and 80%. However, to be fair, games 6 and 7 he shot 0%.

I think with Chris, strictly from a shooting perspective, he started the season not shooting very well. Around the mid point of the season, against BC, he's shot MUCH better. During this time frame (going back to Jan 10), he's shooting 47.8% from 3.
Yeah I don’t agree with the streaky shooter label. His shot usually looks pure. When I think of streaky shooter, I think of Cooney. One day, he looked like he couldn’t miss the next the form was completely different

When I think of streaky shooter, I think of Cooney.
One of the all-time "good shooters" who could swish an off-balance three with a hand in his face but brick wide open shots.

It used to drive me batty watching SU play good-to-great defense for 30 seconds only for the final pass to go to a wide open guy behind the line and he naturally drills it and in the same game watching Cooney get a wide open look and bricking it off the side. I don't have stats for this but I'm sure it happened at like a 90% rate.

Yeah I love the idea that shooting 42% from three over an entire season is somehow not good because one game he went 8-9 and another he was 1-6. Not every guy in the world can be Steph Curry and shoot 45% from three every single night.

Edit: he's 21st in the country in three point percentage and 26th in three pointers made. There's only 10 other guys in the entire country that are in the top 26 of both, but he's not good because he's had a couple clunkers here and there, I guess.

With all the issues this team has the griping and hand wringing over Bell who is an elite shooter just scratching at his potential is hilarious. Especially after he had his best shooting performance of the season. Sure he has a lot to work on but he will be a stud college player the next two years either at Syracuse or elsewhere. The most important thing in basketball is putting the ball in the basket and it always will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom