NCAA 1st Round Games for March 17 | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 1st Round Games for March 17

I mentioned it. I agree with you. It's bothered me since '87 when we have poor free throw shooting teams(which is too often) and we lose by less than the number of missed free throws.
JB seemed to blow off questions about poor free throw shooting over the years and Jimmy was remarkably poor at the line.

Why not have rebounders for the poor FT shooters and set up down court for the good ones?

Missed foul shots changed basketball history. Painful doesn't begin to describe it. My first wife never understood why I took SU sports, or any sports, so seriously. She once said, " I think you love sports more than me." I thought, " Don't make me choose."

Hopefully your second wife was a fan.

I had Va Tech vs. Kentucky in the Sweet 16. :(

The Hokies and the Hawkeyes were classic examples of teams that peaked in their conference tournament. I'm a sucker for them. :rolleyes:

I had Va Tech vs. Kentucky in the Sweet 16. :(

The Hokies and the Hawkeyes were classic examples of teams that peaked in their conference tournament. I'm a sucker for them. :rolleyes:
UCONN won theirs and then the natty w kemba walker...it can go either way...

10-6 today making me 22-10 so far (24-12 counting the first four) with 7 auto losers coming up. But I've got 3 of my Final Four still in it.

I predicted the historical average of first round upsets, 8, but only half of them came through and 6 I did not predict happened.

The ACC doing fine so far, 4-1, (5-1 including Notre Dame's play-in game vs; Rutgers.)

No more perfect brackets on ESPN.
13 people have hit 31/32

Personally I am doing crappy on the Syracusefan.group. In the 41% percentile and 1 final 4 team out.
Doing a bit better on my Bet365 bracket that pays out money for the top 1000 (Free entry) as at least my elite 8 is intact. (was smart enough not to take Iowa in that one!).

At least when I was doing my game bets the last few days I was choosing ACC teams (not like I had done when I did the brackets).

Last edited:
Overall Grade for the first round - B-. If we didn't hate UConn so much I would say the overall entertainment quality of the first round would be average/slightly below average and in the C range. Thursday had some excitement, less so on Friday. But UConn losing and Kentucky losing as a 2 seed, results in my overall grade rising to a bit above average.

I give The 1/16 games a D. Which is what you typically expect from these games in terms of entertainment. You often are not going to have any drama in these games, and we at least had Gonzaga struggling through 20 minutes.

I give the 2/15 games an A. 3 Duds but Kentucky losing as a 2 seed was great to see. Hard to give a bad grade when you get a 2/15 upset especially when it is a despised blue blood.

I give the 3/14 games a D. Typically you get a little more drama in these games -- and there were 3 blowouts. An F grade was avoided by a competitive Wisconsin-Colgate game.

I give the 4/13 games a B+. They were all very competitive games despite the lack of any upset, but the poor quality of basketball and reffing in some of these games (Vermont game) takes down the grade. Illinois, UCLA and Arkansas could have easily lost and Providence never fully got away either. But some of those games had really poor execution and poor basketball.

I give the 5/12 games an A-. This grade was greatly enhanced by UConn losing. Iowa losing was also entertaining but the game play was not great. Sometimes you will only get 1 uncompetitive game in these games, but there was 2 this year.

I give the 6/11 game an F. Nothing memorable or entertaining here. 3 of the 4 games were not close, and the one game that was close wan't exactly entertaining.

I give the 7/10 game an A-. 3 really close games out of the 4. The San Francisco/Murray St overtime last night was high quality basketball. The Ohio St/Loyola game was so bad however that I considered giving these set of games a B.

I give the 8/9 games a D - San Diego St - Creighton was a quality ending and entertaining even if it suffered from some mediocre play. But 3 of these 4 games were essentially determined before 5 minutes were left in the first quarter. You expect more competitiveness from these games. That being said with UNC, Memphis, and TCU dominating in these games it gives you some hope that the the 1/8 or 1/9 games could be more entertaining than normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom