NCAA 1st Round Games for March 17 | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 1st Round Games for March 17

Great execution by these teams in OT.

I see a player for USF is Patrick Tape... wasn't he one of our targets some time ago?
Yes transferred from Ivy League to Duke I believe and then ultimately to SF

I was feeling pretty good about my ucla / Arkansas / Murray st money line parlay when state was up 8 with 2 minutes ..

Why isn't USF fouling immediately?
I guess they are hoping for a turnover, but killing way too much time. It's a bold strategy Cotton.

See how Murray st pressured the ball after the made FT up 4? That is the type of aggression we’ll never have .. “come on down against air and hope you miss your first shot and your offensive board to follow as we do our jumping jacks “

Why isn't USF fouling immediately?
I guess they are hoping for a turnover, but killing way too much time. It's a bold strategy Cotton.
I think they were trying for a turnover/8 seconds and foul once Murray State got across half court. And then the 2nd possession they baited them to give it to the crappy free throw shooter and unfortunately for them, he made them.

You'll have to tell the young 'uns what happened. But that's no more than 4th or 5th for me. Moton's timeout against Arkansas was worse for me. I loved that team. I was in therapy for a year and obviously it didn't help.

Our backcourt 5-9 and 5-11. Their backcourt 6-4 and 6-5. We lose 59-81. JB has loved big guards ever since.

12-4 on the day but with 6 automatic losers to come. Thank you Kentucky!

I predicted 4 upsets and got three of them. I got Creighton and Memphis in 9 vs. 8 games and New Mexico State. I lost with Vermont. I did not predict St. peters over Kentucky, Richmond over Iowa or Michigan over Colorado State.

Oof! That's rubbing salt into an old and deep wound.
Somebody mentioned that foul shooting is important. How many leads has SU blown over the years because we couldn't make our foul shots? It's turned me fanatical about foul shooting. Missing the front end of a one and one is the equivalent of a turnover, in my view.

Lesson learned every year -1) talent is all over and more importantly - 2) on game day the name of the coach means nothing if the stripes don't get intimidated. Hurly, Cal, McCaffrey all got out coached. My favorite part of the tournament is watching the coaches who don't think their bigger than the program or sport - kick the bloated P5 egomaniacs in the arse.

Somebody mentioned that foul shooting is important. How many leads has SU blown over the years because we couldn't make our foul shots? It's turned me fanatical about foul shooting. Missing the front end of a one and one is the equivalent of a turnover, in my view.

I mentioned it. I agree with you. It's bothered me since '87 when we have poor free throw shooting teams(which is too often) and we lose by less than the number of missed free throws.
JB seemed to blow off questions about poor free throw shooting over the years and Jimmy was remarkably poor at the line.

Does anybody think he might be on the hot seat for this? Could he even get fired?
would be good for the sport if he was...Cal's Kentucky is all that is wrong with NCAABB, imo

The entire leaderboard on ESPN (top 100 I think) still has a perfect bracket.

Down that critical stretch, Howard Triche also missed the front end of a one and one, and Greg Monroe hit the first, but missed the second. It's still quite painful to this day. :(
Missed foul shots changed basketball history. Painful doesn't begin to describe it. My first wife never understood why I took SU sports, or any sports, so seriously. She once said, " I think you love sports more than me." I thought, " Don't make me choose."

Worse than a turnover .. cause a regular turnover doesn’t imply you were about to score .. missing the front end means you were about to score and now you’re not only not scoring , you don’t even have possession

Worse than a turnover .. cause a regular turnover doesn’t imply you were about to score .. missing the front end means you were about to score and now you’re not only not scoring , you don’t even have possession
I've always felt when a team makes a big comeback in a game, it almost always starts with "D". It almost always involves missed foul shots by the team with the lead, too.

If Derrick had hit the front end of that one and one Keith Smart wouldn't be an endless highlight vid.

Don't forget Howie Triche missing the one before that that led to the fast break bucket by Smart and to JB pulling his rebounders off the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom