NCAA again investigating UNC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA again investigating UNC

Laugh all you want, but there have been 8 investigations done so far (we are in our 9th one), and none have found any link between the athletic department and the aberrant courses. Now, will the Wainstein/NCAA investigation turn up dirt? I don't know. But whatever the case, I'm willing to accept whatever they say and let this whole thing be over with.

UNC is rotten to the core.

Its a sleazebag athletic department. Powerful people can spin all the want and get folks like you who want to believe duped.

But it doesn't change the fact that UNC cheated.

Its a sleazebag athletic department. Powerful people can spin all the want and get folks like you who want to believe duped.

You are entitled to believe that if you wish. I happen to believe otherwise. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is the NCAA's. I happen to believe that the banner chasers will be severely disappointed at the end of the day, but you never know with the NCAA.

Rudy Gay and his handlers called...

I hate to bump an old thread but Jerry Stackhouse and Dominique Wilkins are coming to our workplace today for a diabetes awareness program. Think that would be a good time to ask Jerry what he knows about all those African American studies classes?

I hate to bump an old thread but Jerry Stackhouse and Dominique Wilkins are coming to our workplace today for a diabetes awareness program. Think that would be a good time to ask Jerry what he knows about all those African American studies classes?
Perhaps in private conversation if you felt up to it.

Perhaps in private conversation if you felt up to it.

I was just kidding around. I don't think they would be amused if I purposely annoyed our special guest. While I am not even close to a higher-up at work, I am in a position where I'm expected to show a little maturity - which takes the fun out of a lot of things :)

Jerry Stackhouse went back and got his degtee in AFAM studies while in the NBA. What a guy. I don't think this function would be an appropriate time to bring it up though.

"The University of North Carolina serves as an example of America's education system for the future leaders and icons in sports," McCants' email said. "Free education no compensation has proven over time to be a criminal cover up to exploit teenagers and their families through the national letter of intent. If we as athletes were being paid to work for these universities like unc proper education in career fields would come at the result of the athletes performance academically.

"There are resolutions I have created that could rid any further academic fraudulent activity amongst any university in the future," the email continued. "But until there is a sit down meeting amongst the players and the ncaa there will never be any resolution. I'm calling all college student athletes to stand up and demand resolution demand a sit down. #defendstudentathletes."

You know how I know McCants' didn't receive an education?

Who are you?

Was there wrongdoing by the university? Absolutely. The independent studies classes, grade changes, etc...all of that stuff was very sketchy. Now, were the independent studies courses part of a broad plan to keep athletes eligible? I don't believe so, but that is what the NCAA and Wainstein are looking at. I for one am glad that the NCAA is reviewing what Wainstein pulls up, because I'm ready for this saga to be over with.

The problem with Willingham is that her "findings" have been suspect from the beginning, and, in some case, have been outright lies. Her initial claim to fame was her insistence that up to 70% of UNC's athletes were illiterate, or couldn't read beyond a fourth grade level. That information got her on CNN. It turned out that information was false, but instead of apologizing, Willingham doubled down. She released the infamous "paper", which at first she implied was a final exam paper that earned an A minus, but then she was forced to backtrack and state that the paper wasn't a final, was a part of a rough draft, did not in fact earn an A minus, was not turned in for an "independent studies" course, was over 8 years old, and she couldn't say who wrote it. Then, her IRB application is released, showing that she lied on her application and very likely committed fraud. Not to mention she is writing a for-profit book about her "experiences", that she once wrote to President Obama asking him to outlaw bracketology, and that she is employed by a Drake Group, an organization whose goal is to eliminate college athletics entirely. All of those things together don't look too good for her. You would think that if her information had any merit, she wouldn't have to fabricate it or lie about it.

Who are you?

itsbotime.

In other news, Mary Willingham, the so-called whistleblower who gave false info to CNN, lied on her IRB application, allegedly commited FERPA fraud, gave a fake paper to HBO, and asked President Obama to criminally charge people who watch college basketball, now is facing scrutiny for apparently plagiarizing her master's thesis:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/04/4050924/unc-critic-accused-of-plagiarism.html?sp=/99/103/

It appears that Ms. Willingham isn't having a great year.

Was there wrongdoing by the university? Absolutely. The independent studies classes, grade changes, etc...all of that stuff was very sketchy. Now, were the independent studies courses part of a broad plan to keep athletes eligible? I don't believe so, but that is what the NCAA and Wainstein are looking at. I for one am glad that the NCAA is reviewing what Wainstein pulls up, because I'm ready for this saga to be over with.

The problem with Willingham is that her "findings" have been suspect from the beginning, and, in some case, have been outright lies. Her initial claim to fame was her insistence that up to 70% of UNC's athletes were illiterate, or couldn't read beyond a fourth grade level. That information got her on CNN. It turned out that information was false, but instead of apologizing, Willingham doubled down. She released the infamous "paper", which at first she implied was a final exam paper that earned an A minus, but then she was forced to backtrack and state that the paper wasn't a final, was a part of a rough draft, did not in fact earn an A minus, was not turned in for an "independent studies" course, was over 8 years old, and she couldn't say who wrote it. Then, her IRB application is released, showing that she lied on her application and very likely committed fraud. Not to mention she is writing a for-profit book about her "experiences", that she once wrote to President Obama asking him to outlaw bracketology, and that she is employed by a Drake Group, an organization whose goal is to eliminate college athletics entirely. All of those things together don't look too good for her. You would think that if her information had any merit, she wouldn't have to fabricate it or lie about it.

So if not to keep athletes eligible, what was the motive? To troll NC State fans?

So if not to keep athletes eligible, what was the motive? To troll NC State fans?

Could have been any number of motives. Laziness, for one. Boost enrollment in a department to get more interest and more money. Or, to keep athletes and other students eligible. The point is, without any definitive proof, you can't really argue one way or the other. We'll see what Wainstein and the NCAA have to say.

Laziness, for one.

If you guys really think that's a possibility that's some genuine UCONN "the NCAA banned us from the postseason because their jealous of us" caliber delusion.

If you guys really think that's a possibility that's some genuine UCONN "the NCAA banned us from the postseason because their jealous of us" caliber delusion.

Back in 92 the NCAA came down on the Orange with huge hammer. I wonder if the darlings of the NCAA Tar Heels will face any punishment at all. I doubt it.

Are you saying it isn't a possibility? Who wouldn't want to get paid good money to do very little work?

Who are you?
He's a UNC fan. Hence the name:
bo.jpg

Could have been any number of motives. Laziness, for one. Boost enrollment in a department to get more interest and more money. Or, to keep athletes and other students eligible. The point is, without any definitive proof, you can't really argue one way or the other. We'll see what Wainstein and the NCAA have to say.
LOL Setting up dummy classes for important athletes is not a trivial decision. There is only one possible justification. To think otherwise is delusional.

LOL Setting up dummy classes for important athletes is not a trivial decision. There is only one possible justification. To think otherwise is delusional.

Yeah, I guess it's just a coincidence that these classes were populated with football and basketball players?

On another note It's kind of sad that in order to preserve THE CAROLINA WAY some UNC fans have taken to throwing under the bus a guy who was a key player in not only a national championship but also dragging that program out of the sh1thole Doherty and Gutheridge dragged them into

The classes were not exclusively for athletes...anyone could and did take them. There are a number of possible justifications, and I have listed three above.

Yeah, I guess it's just a coincidence that these classes were populated with football and basketball players?

On another note It's kind of sad that in order to preserve THE CAROLINA WAY some UNC fans have taken to throwing under the bus a guy who was a key player in not only a national championship but also dragging that program out of the sh1thole Doherty and Gutheridge dragged them into

McCants has a bone to pick with Roy...he blames Roy for his lack of NBA success. McCants was asked by three different coaches in the NBA to seek psychological help. McCants stated a month ago that he believes that he has a check in the mail for $300 million from the NCAA. He is coming off as a lunatic and by going after Roy...well, it is a no-brainer who UNC fans are going to support. You know it is bad when every single one of your teammates comes out and says that you are full of it.

McCants has a bone to pick with Roy...he blames Roy for his lack of NBA success. McCants was asked by three different coaches in the NBA to seek psychological help. McCants stated a month ago that he believes that he has a check in the mail for $300 million from the NCAA. He is coming off as a lunatic and by going after Roy...well, it is a no-brainer who UNC fans are going to support. You know it is bad when every single one of your teammates comes out and says that you are full of it.

Anybody COULD have...it's just coincidental that a significant number of said students were football and basketball players. But I'm sure the admins were just lazy.

...thank you for making my point. RE Rashard Maccants.

Anybody COULD have...it's just coincidental that a significant number of said students were football and basketball players. But I'm sure the admins were just lazy.

...thank you for making my point. RE Rashard Maccants.

A lot of the students were athletes. A lot of the students were fraternity brothers. A lot of the students were not athletes.

And no problem Re: McCants. I'm sure if Hakim Warrick came out spouting delusions about how bad of a person Coach Boeheim is, you would support Warrick over your coach, even after every single Syracuse player that played under Boeheim came out and said that Warrick was nuts. But, McCants is just trying to get his $300 mil.

UCONN got banned because of the drummond scholarship. There is no other reasonable explanation.

We were compliant one day and not compliant the next without one grade changing. Just a uniquely retroactive change to the rule that only impacted UCONN.

But without the time in the desert, do the hungry huskies win the NC? I dont know but I know I wouldn't want to find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom