NCAA drops the ban hammer on Missouri for 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA drops the ban hammer on Missouri for 2019

The NCAA is a joke. Schools should wear the penalties as badges of honor because the NCAA has no moral authority to sit in judgment if anyone.

The “NCAA” in this case is the special assistant to the President for athletic compliance at USC.

True but Bryant has been there, done that when it comes to bowl games. Now he wants the starting job.
Kelly Bryant may not care if Missouri goes to a bowl game, but players in general may be an over reach. It may not be terrible next year but he should be concerned about a talent drain from the program because of the sanctions which may hurt him from shining. Top players need other good players on their team to look their best.

No kidding. I’m convinced the absolute best thing that you can do in the event of an NCAA investigation is listen to a couple Geto Boys songs (it seems like about 1/4 of them are about not talking to police), and tell the NCAA to shove off. The absolute worst thing that you can do is invite an NCAA investigation (and/or punishment) by self reporting.

Also, never, ever try to set any standards above the absolute NCAA minimum. The NCAA has made it abundantly clear that they don’t reward schools for trying to do the right thing. They reward schools for making money (which is usually a product of winning).
I've come to the conclusion that integrity means absolutely nothing to the NCAA.

I think that was clear when the UNC decision was announced.
What do you mean? They got the following hardcore punishment!
image.jpeg

Still the best line I've heard was that "the NCAA was so mad at North Carolina that they brought down the hammer on Syracuse!" Bastids

Hilarious that a football team -- with 85 scholarships available --gets docked the same number of scholarships that our basketball team -- with 13 available -- did.

Just to put this in further perspective:

• Missouri basically got hammered for having an academic adviser do the work of 12 players, committing academic fraud on a grand scale
    • NCAA penalty for these infractions -- 4 scholarship reduction, from 85 available scholarships.

• Syracuse had an academic adviser add a couple of references to the bibliography of one paper for a foreign player for whom English was a second language
    • NCAA penalty for this infraction-- 4 scholarship reduction, from 13 available scholarships.

The NCAA is so arbitrary and capricious -- scope / scale of magnitude means nothing to them, nor does precedent. Hypocrites.

Last edited:
The NCAA is probably one of the most corrupt organizations out there! If your a blue blood school pouring in the money you can get away with anything. If they don't like you though beware no matter what you do your screwed.

Just to put this in further perspective -- Missouri basically got hammered for having an academic adviser do the work of 12 players on a grand scale, thereby committing academic fraud. NCAA penalty for these infractions -- 4 scholarship reduction, from an roster of 85 available scholarships.

Syracuse had an academic adviser add to the bibliography of one paper for a foreign player where English was a second language -- 4 scholarship reduction, from a roster of 13 available scholarships.

The NCAA is so arbitrary and capricious -- scope / scale of magnitude means nothing to them, nor does precedent. Hypocrites.
Swofford should have gone to bat for us, we should have gotten NY politicians involved, and we should have sued absolutely everyone.

And above all, we absolutely should NOT have cooperated, ESPECIALLY in the context of self-reporting.

I said it earlier in this thread, but blast ‘G-Code’ and tell the NCAA to pound sand.

Actually, we should still sue ... and we should absolutely still get NYS involved.

Swofford should have stepped up for us.

The SEC wins because they protect their own. We should also sue the NCAA, and we should also individually sue literally everyone involved with our investigation.

Institutions are 100% rewarded for fighting back as fiercely as possible.

Miami walked away from buying ladies of the evening with drugs with 0 penalties.

UNC walked away from faking classes with 0 penalties.

PSU got a slap on the wrist for (amongst a shockingly long laundry list of things) the most heinous crime in American collegiate history, and then they sued their way out of the vast majority of the penalties.

We should have sued (but getting litegious late is better than not at all), and we should have involved politicians. NYS can absolutely drop a hammer on the NCAA. Calls for a congressional hearing would be devastating, and there would be no shortage of bipartisan support from across the country.

The NCAA already doesn’t like us/is willing to give us a short end of a stick. It’s not like there are bridges to burn. We should have fought, and we should absolutely fight now.

I’m a broken record on this thread, and I’ll get off my soap box. The fact that we sat in our hands despite the obvious move not to drives me nuts, as does the unabashed corruption in the NCAA.

Last edited:
Actually, we should still sue ... and we should absolutely still get NYS involved.
The guy in the picture kind of looks like GRob! :p

Interesting who is on the appeals committee.
Division I Infractions Appeals Committee
Composition: The committee shall be comprised of five members. At least one member shall be from the general public and shall not be connected with a collegiate institution, conference, or professional or similar sports organization, or represent coaches or athletes in any capacity. The remaining members shall presently or previously be on the staff of an active member institution or member conference, but shall not serve presently on the Board of Directors. There shall be no subdivision restrictions except that all nonpublic members may not be from the same subdivision. A member may be reappointed but shall not serve more than nine years on the committee.

Liaisons: Wendy Walters, Joyce Thompson

*Eligible for reappointmentDivisionCommittee PositionsTitleName & InstitutionConferenceTerm
Expiration
0​
Member Attorney, Dickin Wright PLLC W. Anthony Jenkins
Dickinson Wright PLLC
AUG 2020​
FBS​
Member CCD Ellen Ferris
American Athletic Conference
American Athletic Conference
AUG 2021*​
FBS​
Member FAR David Shipley
University of Georgia
Southeastern Conference
AUG 2020*​
FCS​
Member President Jonathan Alger
James Madison University
Colonial Athletic Association
AUG 2021*​
FCS​
Member SWA Allison Rich
Princeton University
The Ivy League
AUG 2020*​

I always think the composition of these different committees is interesting. So from above not every conference is represented in the appeals process. My skeptical mind always wonders about quid pro quo, conference alliances, conference rivalries etc in NCAA investigations, rule interpretations, appeal processes etc. and it’s possible involvement regarding all these inconsistent rulings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom