NCAA Going After Pitino...Again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Going After Pitino...Again

There are new allegations from the NCAA. That's, um, new:

"The release of former Adidas consultant Merl Code’s book Black Market—which claims that former Louisville coach Rick Pitino had knowledge of and authorized payments to players’ families—caused the NCAA’s Complex Case Unit to issue additional formal allegations of infractions against Pitino, claiming that he offered a $100,000 payment to the father of former recruit Brian Bowen in 2017.

BTW, what happened to my icon? Was it due to political connotations, or has the statute of limitations on anything that Dubya might have done run out? Mods?
Still trying to figure out how this is a major issue when Auburn paid Cam Newton’s dad $250K and that was swept under the rug.

So is this a feature or a bug? Because I’m heavily leaning toward the former.

Heeeey, I resemble that remark!
And no, I’m not a “win-at-any-cost meathead” as you described.
One can still acknowledge Pitino’s greatness, regardless of his immorality & ineptitude at handling other matters. He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed either- not after repeated run-ins w/ the powers that be.
Needless to say, this likely ends any fantasy re; SU. But…he’s still a great coach.
Define greatness. He had more than his share of good players and he cheated to get them. Is that greatness?

Define greatness. He had more than his share of good players and he cheated to get them. Is that greatness?

If we’re going to make that a prerequisite I think you’re going to find very few (likely zero) coaches who are “great”

Define cheating. All great programs provided perks outside of the allotted ones.

Define cheating. All great programs provided perks outside of the allotted ones.
Cheating is cheating regardless of how many are guilty. Pitino is a felon and a repeat offender in the world of cheating.

As is our beloved twice convicted coach.
Apples and oranges. Our coach does not micromanage. He was dinged for lack of control regarding the YMCA and an academic advisor. Pitino engineered call girls, money bags etc when not busy hanging and banging on top of restaurant tables; classy guy. JB has loyalty and integrity and a track record of helping. Pitino has a track record of disgracing his college and then suing. Beyond me that some posters advocated for his hire.

Apples and oranges. Our coach does not micromanage. He was dinged for lack of control regarding the YMCA and an academic advisor. Pitino engineered call girls, money bags etc when not busy hanging and banging on top of restaurant tables; classy guy. JB has loyalty and integrity and a track record of helping. Pitino has a track record of disgracing his college and then suing. Beyond me that some posters advocated for his hire.
One man’s “lack of control”, is another man’s negligence and plausible deniability.
And there’s no question Rick Pitino, based on coaching record alone, is a great coach. Its the extracurricular shenanigans that you’d have to consider if you want to hire him. But the man has won everywhere he’s been- that’s indisputable.

Extraordinary cheater. He won with talent and in no way ever set a good example. No evidence of being a great coach.

Pitino seemed fine and dandy in Saratoga this weekend.

Extraordinary cheater. He won with talent and in no way ever set a good example. No evidence of being a great coach.
This is a weird hill to die on but to each his own. He’s won a NC at 2 different schools, been to multiple FF’s- w/ 3 separate programs, turned around a UK program in no time at all, and is in the process of making Iona bball relevant again.
If you wanna judge based on “morality” blah blah blah and whether he’s a cheater, then you’d be right.
But if you’re actually gonna go-down-with-the-ship on whether Rick Pitino’s a great strategic and game coach…then I don’t know what to tell you.

This is a weird hill to die on but to each his own. He’s won a NC at 2 different schools, been to multiple FF’s- w/ 3 separate programs, turned around a UK program in no time at all, and is in the process of making Iona bball relevant again.
If you wanna judge based on “morality” blah blah blah and whether he’s a cheater, then you’d be right.
But if you’re actually gonna go-down-with-the-ship on whether Rick Pitino’s a great strategic and game coach…then I don’t know what to tell you.

yeah... that Louisville team had 1 decent NBA player and 1 bench NBA player and a bunch of minor leaguers. And was by far the best team of 2013.

He is not that good a cheater if he got caught cheating.
Exactly.
His cheating is on Austin Powers’ “Dr Evil” level, but his coaching record has been great. Don’t know how it can be argued otherwise. JMHO

leave the guy alone already jeez...they already exiled him to iona

if ncaabb was pristine and he was the only one breaking rules it would be one thing

this just seems petty and spiteful at this point

I hate how selective and discriminatory the NCAA's "enforcement" is. It's like they are the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover - they have an enemies list. I hate the NCAA.

Lots of luck trying to separate the cheating from the coaching. The two are tied together.

Lots of luck trying to separate the cheating from the coaching. The two are tied together.
John Wooden- cheater
Coach K- cheater
JB- cheater
Jerry Tarkanian- cheater
Adolph Rupp- cheater
Jim Calhoun- cheater

Yup, I guess they’re all bad coaches…because they cheated? Okaaay….

yeah... that Louisville team had 1 decent NBA player and 1 bench NBA player and a bunch of minor leaguers. And was by far the best team of 2013.
I wouldn't say "by far". I really, really wanted to see SU v UofL one more time. I think it would have been one of the great NC games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom