NCAA legislation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA legislation

In the Alston case, the judge ruled that the NCAA failed to provide a definition of Amateurism. Basically, "They're amateurs because we say they're amateurs." Did not pass legal muster. I wonder if that will be important, going forward.

In terms of inflation, 4billion in 2003, is now equivalent to 5.459 billion. Increase of 8.541 billion. If each scholarship athlete in the P5 earned $10,000 a year, the NCAA revenue would have increased by $8.490 billion, compared to 2003.

Last edited:
Looks like bipartisan support on the bill in Congress, and if it hits the president's desk, it will be signed.

Article says revenue jumped $10 billion dollars from 2003 to 2018. That's crazy.

Paying college athletes gaining a bipartisan consensus as new report slams NCAA
And all the non-rev athletes who now get better facilities, travel arrangements, etc., thank them every much. Seriously, where do people think the money goes? Yes, mega-coaches like Saban get a lot of money, but they've always been given a lot of money. Would anyone be surprised if Bear Bryant made more than the president of Bama did? How close does SU MLax team come to paying for itself? I know UVa's doesn't.

It's time to talk about the elephant in the room. All of this is coming about because of the bad optics caused by the monumental change in the demographics of who's playing D-1 football and basketball since Bear Bryant's time until now.

And all the non-rev athletes who now get better facilities, travel arrangements, etc., thank them every much. Seriously, where do people think the money goes? Yes, mega-coaches like Saban get a lot of money, but they've always been given a lot of money. Would anyone be surprised if Bear Bryant made more than the president of Bama did? How close does SU MLax team come to paying for itself? I know UVa's doesn't.

It's time to talk about the elephant in the room. All of this is coming about because of the bad optics caused by the monumental change in the demographics of who's playing D-1 football and basketball since Bear Bryant's time until now.
The arms race for facilities has something to do with the optics, as well. NCAA officials getting $400k to organize 1 bowl game, etc. It'd be interesting to know the increase in coach salaries, overall, as well as the increase in spending to get recruits.. All to make the program profitable.

It's just hard to fathom where an extra 10 billion goes every year.

Last edited:
The arms race for facilities has something to do with the optics, as well. NCAA officials getting $400k to organize 1 bowl game, etc. It'd be interesting to know the increase in coach salaries, overall, as well as the increase in spending to get recruits.. All to make the program profitable.

It's just hard to fathom where an extra 10 billion goes every year.
This is a HUGE (or, as we would say on our board HUGH!) misconception a lot of people have. The NCAA gets $0.00 from D-1A football. Anyone who is involved with D-1A football, like these bowl officials, is not on the payroll of the NCAA in India-noplace. It is very difficult for me to imagine how anyone not working for a New Years 6 Bowl committee could get that kind of money.

This is a HUGE (or, as we would say on our board HUGH!) misconception a lot of people have. The NCAA gets $0.00 from D-1A football. Anyone who is involved with D-1A football, like these bowl officials, is not on the payroll of the NCAA in India-noplace. It is very difficult for me to imagine how anyone not working for a New Years 6 Bowl committee could get that kind of money.
Bowl game executive pay soaring around $1 million

I think it's the bad optics of billions of dollars not going to the people who make that money.

Well, this would be cool. Folks have been begging for this to come back.

Last edited:
Well, this would be cool. Folks have been begging for this to come back.

Folks have been updating the old version, on their own. Great to have an updated version.

Folks have been updating the old version, on their own. Great to have an updated version.

Yeah they have been doing it every year since the game stopped production. I normally need to make a change or two, but pretty accurate overall.

Yeah they have been doing it every year since the game stopped production. I normally need to make a change or two, but pretty accurate overall.
Cult following. Fans, players, etc. Would love a version for the new gen systems(and the next gen coming out this year ). Give each athlete a free game, and $50 bucks, and it's on.

Cult following. Fans, players, etc. Would love a version for the new gen systems(and the next gen coming out this year ). Give each athlete a free game, and $50 bucks, and it's on.
Heck yeah!!! I was literally saying to myself while it was loading and the TV said 480p up in the corner..."Man a new version on the PS4 would be great".

Isn't that the case in every industry?

The only reason we care about this is because sports are televised.

I also care about it wrt every business.

Seize the means of production.

I also care about it wrt every business.

Seize the means of production.
And the cost of a scholarship and the other benefits scholarship athletes recieve is more than the median income, so why do we argue so much that a bunch of 20 year olds are getting screwed before they cash in on their huge paydays when people twice their ages get screwed their entire working careers?

And the cost of a scholarship and the other benefits scholarship athletes recieve is more than the median income, so why do we argue so much that a bunch of 20 year olds are getting screwed before they cash in on their huge paydays when people twice their ages get screwed their entire working careers?

We can argue for both.

“Hey, Billy Bob!
Come play for us and Joe’s Cars will pay you $50,000 per year if you appear in just one advertisement for them.”

“That’s nice coach, but State has a similar opportunity that pays $75,000, and Burger Bob’s will have a burger named for me for another $25,000. How badly do you want me?”

This is a huge problem. My only solution ive theorized is put all the money in trust and then divey it out among all scholarship players depending on number of years played. The payment is made as a lump sum, one year after leaving school. I havent figured out how to divide it yet, because if you incentivize winning or split among teams, players would start favoring certain teams or leagues. One possibility is if only the p5 players had to share, it would be equitable and manageable.

“Hey, Billy Bob!
Come play for us and Joe’s Cars will pay you $50,000 per year if you appear in just one advertisement for them.”

“That’s nice coach, but State has a similar opportunity that pays $75,000, and Burger Bob’s will have a burger named for me for another $25,000. How badly do you want me?”

I don’t really see that as any different than the world of bag dropping that recruiting is now. You could put forth regulations that say endorsement negotiations or offers can’t start until a player reaches campus or signs an NLI but of the rules aren’t followed now (they’re not) why would they be then (they wouldn’t)

I would have argued your point 20 years ago. Top program, Each of the 85 kids is responsible for $1.6 million- each year.($6.4 million over 4) All P5 are responsible for more than 10X median income.

But lets remove $$. Do you know what the athlete's pay? 25% suffer depression. (There's help for that). Did you know that 1/2 have high blood pressure after one year? 90% of linemen. That's messed up. They're not, fat, over worked, 50 year olds. They're 19 year old, elite athletes. Something is wrong.

College football linemen have higher high blood pressure, altered heart function after one season - News on Heart.org

Last edited:
I would have argued your point 20 years ago. Top program, Each of the 85 kids is responsible for $1.6 million- each year.($6.4 million over 4) All P5 are responsible for more than 10X median income.

But lets remove $$. Do you know what the athlete's pay? 25% suffer depression. (There's help for that). Did you know that 1/2 have high blood pressure after one year? 90% of linemen. That's messed up. They're not, fat, over worked, 50 year olds. They're 19 year old, elite athletes. Something is wrong.

College football linemen have higher high blood pressure, altered heart function after one season - News on Heart.org
That's a separate issue about the safety of the game and the extent to which some athletes go to to participate. If a guy can't increase weight and be healthy, he shouldn't increase weight. But it's what guys do when they are too slow or immobile to play a lighter position. Something is wrong. Sports should promote physical fitness, not the opposite.

“Hey, Billy Bob!

Okay.

The easiest solution is to take away scholarships, pay the players, and then charge them for going to school

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom