NCAA OT rules change for 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA OT rules change for 2019

It's football not futball. That gave me visions of penalty kicks to win a soccer game.
At least someone is defending the goal in soccer. Which brings up something I’ve wondered about.

It is legal to block FGs. There is no “goaltending” rule in FB as in BB (that I’m aware of). Today’s athletes easily spike the ball over the cross bar, often with lots of room to spare. Many long FGs just sneak over the bar. But I do not ever recall an attempt to bat down such a FG try before it clears the bar.

At least someone is defending the goal in soccer. Which brings up something I’ve wondered about.

It is legal to block FGs. There is no “goaltending” rule in FB as in BB (that I’m aware of). Today’s athletes easily spike the ball over the cross bar, often with lots of room to spare. Many long FGs just sneak over the bar. But I do not ever recall an attempt to bat down such a FG try before it clears the bar.

The bar is 10 ft off the ground. The ball however is coming from a downward trajectory needing to cross over and beyond a bar that is about 6-8 inches in diameter. This would mean the ball is probably at about 11-12 ft high just prior to the ball hitting the plane of the front of the bar. I'm not sure there are many players that can jump 12 ft high with gear on.

The bar is 10 ft off the ground. The ball however is coming from a downward trajectory needing to cross over and beyond a bar that is about 6-8 inches in diameter. This would mean the ball is probably at about 11-12 ft high just prior to the ball hitting the plane of the front of the bar. I'm not sure there are many players that can jump 12 ft high with gear on.
Well... let's see some try.

I've thought of this too. I think that ultimately the likelihood of a ball that is going to clear the post being low enough to bat down is less than it being blocked at the LOS, so that extra man is placed in a position to either defend a fake or catch a really short kick.

Same trajectory as required to spike the ball. And yes, players do it routinely with gear on. It’s the same height as a BB hoop and you see people go waay higher than 10 ft for dunks.

Same trajectory as required to spike the ball. And yes, players do it routinely with gear on. It’s the same height as a BB hoop and you see people go waay higher than 10 ft for dunks.

I would argue it is not the same trajectory, and for the most part when you see a spike it's usually going parallel to the ground, not diagonally - meaning the hand is just above the bar and no extended over it such that the hand is moving downward at the backside of the bar...I'm not sure why I'm arguing this topic, LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom